Zach Wilson 2023 - at the Bye Week

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Almost a word for word verbatim quote from several folks last year around the bye week. 

All you're missing is the "Zach is 5-1" part we heard so much last year. 

Honestly - what other options are there right now? You want Boyal or Simien in there? Or would you rather trade for Tannehill? Zach is our best option right now bottom line. I’m hopeful Rodgers can come back towards end of season and they can still make a superbowl push. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Honestly - what other options are there right now? You want Boyal or Simien in there? Or would you rather trade for Tannehill? Zach is our best option right now bottom line. I’m hopeful Rodgers can come back towards end of season and they can still make a superbowl push. 

Didn't Tannehill get hurt yesterday?

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

Honestly - what other options are there right now?

None in my view, at this time. 

For all real-world options, cost exceeds return, or improvement certainty is lacking.

I know I say this alot, but two things can be true at the same time:

1. Zach is a poorly performing QB that some of us think we should move on from asap.

2. We're stuck with Zach in 2023.

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

I’m hopeful Rodgers can come back towards end of season and they can still make a superbowl push. 

That's a common sentiment at JN these days, the historic and unprecedented short recovery time of our 40 year old QB.

54 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

He’s not turning the ball over and he’s “managing” these games. With a defense like the one we have that’s all we need right now. 20 points a game should get us a lot of victories this season 

Agreed.

The mythical “ceiling” will never be hit.

The most “winning” aspect of ZW’s game yesterday was he managed to not fumble or toss a pick.

• Upvote 1

DISCLAIMER:  Yes, I'm aware the team won a monster game. 

POSITIVES:  Zach has gotten better between the 20s, and has avoided bad throws/turnovers, and is also getting better when he scrambles.  He's also still ranked in the top 20 on play action.

NEGATIVES:  Everything else.

Ratings

• QB Rating:  73.4 (31st)
  • QBR:  37.5 (29th)

Yardage/Air Yards

• YPA:  6.0 (30th)
  • Yards/Game:  182.8 (30th)
  • Adjusted YPA:  5.2 (29th)
  • Net YPA:  5.18 (30th)
  • Adjusted Net YPA:  4.09 (31st)
  • Completed Air Yards per PA:  3.2 (25th)

Accuracy

• Comp %:  60.4 (29th)
  • Expected Comp %:  59.7 (34th)
  • Bad Throw %:  12.9 (13th)
  • On Target %:  60.6 % (26th)

Efficiency

• TD %:  2.2 (31st)
  • INT %:  2.7 (23rd)
  • Pass Success %:  35.8 (33rd)

Pressure

• Sack %:  9.5 (28th)
  • Time to Throw:  2.97 sec (7th) 
  • Pocket Time:  2.0 (t-16th)  -- I.E. he's getting the t-16th MOST time in the pocket
  • Yards per Scramble:  8.3 (11th)

Play Action

• Play Action Yardage:  225 (18th)
  • PA Yardage per Play:  8.33 (19th)
  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

He’s not turning the ball over and he’s “managing” these games. With a defense like the one we have that’s all we need right now. 20 points a game should get us a lot of victories this season 

Yeah but you cannot win every game with your QB playing in neutral. It doesn’t work like that. In a perfect world, you shut down every team you play but there will be a Dallas game or two. Maybe a Miami game? Maybe the Bills game? Maybe the Chargers get the best of the defense that week? These aren’t things you expect, but they are things you have to be prepared for, the main way you stick in games that are starting to get away from you (and I know, this is like, a super complicated way of saying..) you SHOW THE ABILITY YOU CAN GET 6 WHEN YOU NEED TO.

How about a game where you can get 6 in consecutive drives? Are these things not normal in the NFL? We have not shown we are capable of that. For mistake free as we have been, we’re still an extremely limited offense.

Look, I’m not mad at the game plan, I’m not mad at him playing risk free. I just know I see a guy who doesn’t have the capability of being consistent enough to convert those big 3rd downs needed to jab back at opponents mid-game. the majority of our points this season are field goals for a reason.

clean the red zone stuff up & we’ll talk about it.

4 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Contrary to popular belief in some corners, Hacketts Offense is getting guys wide open all over the place, including in the end zone. Zach needs to stop missing wide open guys. I like that he has apparently finally discovered that Garrett Wilson is pretty much always open, even when he's not, but he MUST start finding the guys who are open by YARDS and get there in his reads faster. It seems for every good throw, there was a better one available.  He needs to start hitting them...

This is my biggest gripe with him. The all-22 breakdowns the last two weeks had shown that we should have comfortably beaten the Chiefs and blown out the Broncos if Zach would just hit the open guys when they're open. Too many times he either would miss the read completely, be slightly late on the read, or make the right read at the right time and throw an inaccurate ball. Happened again yesterday on at least the two occasions I could see just from the broadcast.

These misses are not just resulting in incompletions; they're indirectly leaving points off the board by stalling drives, or directly leaving points off the board by preventing TDs. And then of course there's the add-on effect of the defense having to get back on the field quicker and more often without the benefit of scored points. 

I think if he were to solve this, it would also solve the red zone woes, because (1) there would need to be lesser red zone opportunities as we'd have longer TD passes/catch and runs, and (2) the coaches might trust him more in the RZ and cater to having more success there.

==========================

Trying to end on a positive note: I haven't been as impressed with Zach as a lot of others have been over the last three weeks, but credit where it's due: he's being safer with the ball, has cleaned up his accuracy on swing/screen passes, and is definitely being smarter pre-snap. My three favorite Zach plays from yesterday's game:

(1) The two point conversion where he hung in the pocket instead of bailing, threw a pass with anticipation, and used his god given ability to fire a rocket over the middle and convert.
(2) When he rushed to get the snap off as Philly was subbing and caught them with 12 men on the field
(3) When he got the D to jump offsides and hit Garrett for a 25 yard play (even though it was called back on that bullsh*t call)
(Honorable Mention): The deep pass down the sideline to Garrett. There wasn't much for him to do there, but I love that he found Garrett in single coverage and threw it up trusting Garrett to come down with it. The best QBs in the league do this with a lot of consistency when they know they have a game breaker like Wilson on the outside. 

• Upvote 4

For the Zachy-boys I'm a hater for sure, but they are right at one point ... he is a backup now ... we ****ed up as we picked him at 2 - not his fault.
When he sticks to his actual performance give him a 1mio contract for a qb3 spot and draft another one - when he improves and shows some touch downs in the next games - think about let him sit behind aaron as qb2 - he's not 60 years old - he can learn i guess

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

POSITIVES:  Zach has gotten better between the 20s, and has avoided bad throws/turnovers, and is also getting better when he scrambles.  He's also still ranked in the top 20 on play action.

Ratings

Yardage/Air Yards

Accuracy

Efficiency

Pressure

• Pocket Time:  2.0 (t-16th)  -- I.E. he's getting the t-16th MOST time in the pocket

Play Action

Whoa, are you trying to get this thread locked by throwing those stats around?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ratings

Yardage/Air Yards

Accuracy

Efficiency

Pressure

Play Action

Being the 31st ranked quarterback is better than being the 34th ranked quarterback (haha progress) and the team has done everything in their natural power to eliminate him from negatively impacting the game. One stat you forgot that the nerds love: Zach Wilson is ranked dead last in EPA per dropback, and he’s in the negative, which means he costs his team points every time he’s asked to throw the ball. 

IMG_4489.png

• Post of the Week 1

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Being the 31st ranked quarterback is better than being the 34th ranked quarterback (haha progress) and the team has done everything in their natural power to eliminate him from negatively impacting the game. One stat you forgot that the nerds love: Zach Wilson is ranked dead last in EPA per dropback, and he’s in the negative, which means he costs his team points every time he’s asked to throw the ball. 

IMG_4489.png

Frustrated World Cup GIF

6 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Red Zone efficiency. It's HORRIBLE. For whatever reason, Wilson is very hesitant to attack into the End Zone from between the 10-20 yard line

The answer for the above is below! 

6 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Wilson has finally figured out something Sam Darnold and many other young QBs never did or do. Sometimes it's better to just be "good enough"... as long as you're not throwing picks. We haven't seen "Hero Ball Zach" yet this season. He's been careful and hasn't had a turnover since the fumbled snap vs KC a few weeks ago.

Here’s how Zach is seeing the end zone inside the RZ. 8 players packed into the end zone. Panic ensues because he doesn’t want to hurt the team with a TO

City Reaction GIF by Moby

I blame Hackett equally. You have to run rub routes and misdirection plays to give Zach a clean look

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

IMG_4489.png

Charge your phone 

Excellent analysis!

The only thing I can add to it is, design at least one play where the receivers stretch the field out and let Zach throw a bomb where either the receiver catches it, or no on catches it. The Jets never do this. Even if the play is designed where he throws it out of bounds, just the fact that they sent 3 WR's deep, it would definitely surprise the defense and get them out of whatever comfort zone they were in thinking it's gonna be the same run run pass to the check down punt offense.

We all know Zach has a strong arm. How about throwing a bomb on first down on the opening drive? Imagine the Jets starting a game 7-0. On the first play. Of the first possession. Now imagine our defense playing with a lead in the first quarter. The dynamic of the game changes entirely. Those red zone FG's that frustrate us so much actually become solid strategy; continue to maintain the lead, instead of scratching and clawing from behind the entire game, where an opposing QB has to to throw a dumb ass interception (Allen and Hurts), that gives us a gift and an opportunity to win. Confidence levels boom. They stay high the whole game, because this ultra conservative play calling that the Jets want to run is cool when you have a lead. 

We're not going to get these gift INT's late in games all the time. That's not a winning formula. 

Design a play. Just one damn play. Go for the damn jugular on first down in the first quarter. No one will expect it. 

lets be real, we won, but Zach did not have a good game. yeah he had no TOs but his line...

he had his 3rd worst statistical game of the year. we have a QB in his 3rd year on pace to throw 11 TDs and 13 INTs with 60 sacks. is that good? no its not. 

Date Team   Opp Result Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Rate Sk Yds Sk% NY/A ANY/A Att Yds TD Lng Y/A Fmb
2023-10-15 NYJ   PHI W 20-14 19 33 57.6 186 0 0.0 0 0.0 33 5.6 5.64 9.8 73.5 5 31 13.16 4.08 4.08 4 15 0 9 3.8
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I know it sounds simple, but it really is this simple: The Jets have to play with a lead. Get a two score lead, early on, and all of this conservative play calling for the rest of the game is a plus, instead of a negative. Red zone FG's? SWEET!  

Because we are always playing catch up, the conservative play calling, playing for a FG instead of a TD pisses us all off.

But the same exact play calling is actually how to win the game when you have the lead. 

Take all the pressure off Zach that he has the entire game because he's always looking at a scoreboard where the Jets are down and time is running out, that is when he chokes (as do alot of QB's). 

In a nutshell, just figure out a way to score a TD in the first quarter. Start the game with a 7-0 lead. Maintain that lead throughout the game, and I think the knocks on the conservative playcalling and the knocks on the QB will dissipate. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

I know it sounds simple, but it really is this simple: The Jets have to play with a lead. Get a two score lead, early on, and all of this conservative play calling for the rest of the game is a plus, instead of a negative. Red zone FG's? SWEET!  

Because we are always playing catch up, the conservative play calling, playing for a FG instead of a TD pisses us all off.

But the same exact play calling is actually how to win the game when you have the lead. 

Take all the pressure off Zach that he has the entire game because he's always looking at a scoreboard where the Jets are down and time is running out, that is when he chokes (as do alot of QB's). 

In a nutshell, just figure out a way to score a TD in the first quarter. Start the game with a 7-0 lead. Maintain that lead throughout the game, and I think the knocks on the conservative playcalling and the knocks on the QB will dissipate. 

The problem is that is way too predictable. Teams would already be expecting the jets to play conservative with Zach Wilson. With a lead even more. Even if we had a monster Oline ( we don’t ) it’s hard to run effectively when the D knows it’s coming. Zach needs to see the wide open receivers downfield, and actually hit them. Shots downfield always open up run game. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

The problem is that is way too predictable. Teams would already be expecting the jets to play conservative with Zach Wilson. With a lead even more. Even if we had a monster Oline ( we don’t ) it’s hard to run effectively when the D knows it’s coming. Zach needs to see the wide open receivers downfield, and actually hit them. Shots downfield always open up run game. 

All true, but the bottom line is the Jets need to stop the vanilla garbage playcalling on the opening drive. Let the kid air it out, he has an arm. If he ****s it up, then it's on him and we can stop the nonsense blaming MLF/Hacckett for "holding him back". 

But maybe he doesn't **** it up, maybe he gets a TD on the opening drive. Playing with a lead is the only way we are going to really see who's the albatross on this team, or not. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

The answer for the above is below! 

Here’s how Zach is seeing the end zone inside the RZ. 8 players packed into the end zone. Panic ensues because he doesn’t want to hurt the team with a TO

City Reaction GIF by Moby

I blame Hackett equally. You have to run rub routes and misdirection plays to give Zach a clean look

Kid need to play mostly out of shotgun, with a ton of Play action roll outs . It should be the absolute fundamental cornerstone of an offense with Wilson's skillset.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1