The BYU Superstar No One is talking about

JETS SB

Zach Wilson's childhood friend and fellow BYU alumni Puka Nacua has taken the league by storm. And since the LA Rams have no fans, this guy is getting very little attention. He has 58 receptions (leads NFL) and 752 yards (3rd in NFL) through 7 games and is on pace to break rookie records in both categories. Once Cooper Kupp came back from injury, everyone thought Puka would disappear, but with Cooper Kupp on the field this past Sunday, Puka had 8 receptions for 154 yards. 

The crazy thing is, he wasn't on most teams' draft boards because of his slow 40 time. He set every high school record in the State of Utah for wide receivers and had a pretty decent college career, starting with Washington, where he didnt play much and then transferring to BYU, where he was a stand out. 

This guy was drafted in the FIFTH ROUND. Crazy. He will be a superstar. Maybe Zach should have pushed JD to draft Puka. Or maybe he did, but Zach had no influence, with Aaron Rodgers here. Either way, there is a superstar in the NFL from BYU and his name is Zach.... I mean Puka Nacua.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

Pretty sure, like, everyone is talking about him, as he's currently leading the league in receptions and is the waiver pick up darling of all time in fantasy football but fun thread! 

I almost picked him up before week 1, but couldn't find a roster spot. To my deep regret, I preferred to keep Darnell Mooney and Elijah Moore on my bench over picking up Puka.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Zach Wilson's childhood friend and fellow BYU alumni Puka Nacua has taken the league by storm. And since the LA Rams have no fans, this guy is getting very little attention. He has 58 receptions (leads NFL) and 752 yards (3rd in NFL) through 7 games and is on pace to break rookie records in both categories. Once Cooper Kupp came back from injury, everyone thought Puka would disappear, but with Cooper Kupp on the field this past Sunday, Puka had 8 receptions for 154 yards. 

The crazy thing is, he wasn't on most teams' draft boards because of his slow 40 time. He set every high school record in the State of Utah for wide receivers and had a pretty decent college career, starting with Washington, where he didnt play much and then transferring to BYU, where he was a stand out. 

This guy was drafted in the FIFTH ROUND. Crazy. He will be a superstar. Maybe Zach should have pushed JD to draft Puka. Or maybe he did, but Zach had no influence, with Aaron Rodgers here. Either way, there is a superstar in the NFL from BYU and his name is Zach.... I mean Puka Nacua.

These slow 40 times teams really put too much on. We didn't draft Keenan Allen bc of this. Tee Higgins slipped bc of this. There's countless others.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Yeah and if we had him who exactly was going to be throwing him the ball ? Certainly wasn't going to be Matt Stafford it was going to be Zach Wilson and no one ...I repeat NO ONE would have known this kid other than those on the Jets practice squad

7 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Ummm

... Everyone is talking about him

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

lol yeah everyone is talking about him.  Also they didn't play together at BYU as far as I can tell, so not sure if Zach's reference would have held any weight.   

Also not sure they would have cared even if he did vouch for the guy.  Imagine learning that Zach influenced a draft pick back in April....back when the thought was "this guy sucks and has no future here".  People would have been calling for JD's job.  Hindsight though, sure it would have been nice.  I wanted Charlie Jones or Andrei Iosivas.  Nacua was never even on my radar with the mocks leading up.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Ummm

... Everyone is talking about him

Unless you play fantasy football or you are one of the 7 Rams fans, not much has been said in the national media about the guy. My two boys go to 5-6 games every year and, at minimum, watch football every Sunday. They have heard of him, but didnt really know how great he was playing. The national media has rarely talked about him outside of his actual games. 

Considering his clear record breaking pace, Puka isnt the favorite for Rookie of the Year. CJ Stroud is having a good season and being a QB definitely gives you an advantage, but we aren't talking more than above average stats, so far.

I think if you ask the average football fan, who doesnt play fantasy football, who Puka Nacua is, they might know him, but have no idea he could destroy rookie records. Maybe I am wrong. 

46 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Unless you play fantasy football or you are one of the 7 Rams fans, not much has been said in the national media about the guy. My two boys go to 5-6 games every year and, at minimum, watch football every Sunday. They have heard of him, but didnt really know how great he was playing. The national media has rarely talked about him outside of his actual games. 

Considering his clear record breaking pace, Puka isnt the favorite for Rookie of the Year. CJ Stroud is having a good season and being a QB definitely gives you an advantage, but we aren't talking more than above average stats, so far.

I think if you ask the average football fan, who doesnt play fantasy football, who Puka Nacua is, they might know him, but have no idea he could destroy rookie records. Maybe I am wrong. 

WRs don't typically come close to winning rookie of the year if there is a decent QB coming out... And every media outlet is talking about Puka Nacua when they bring up the rams... You got to be kidding right now. 

• Thumb Down 1

17 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

WRs don't typically come close to winning rookie of the year if there is a decent QB coming out... And every media outlet is talking about Puka Nacua when they bring up the rams... You got to be kidding right now. 

Of course, now that I posted in Jet Nation, about him, national media such as SI is talking about him. I didn’t realize how many people see my posts. 

He has 22k twitter followers. I am pretty sure @slats has more than that and his only claim to fame was banning me twice. 

Seriously though, no. He is not being talked about like a record breaker should be. Part of it is the team he plays for and when he was drafted. But my point was, BYU has produced another star. 

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Of course, now that I posted in Jet Nation, about him, national media such as SI is talking about him. I didn’t realize how many people see my posts. 

He has 22k twitter followers. I am pretty sure @slats has more than that and his only claim to fame was banning me twice. 

Seriously though, no. He is not being talked about like a record breaker should be. Part of it is the team he plays for and when he was drafted. But my point was, BYU has produced another star. 

Man... You are impossible... He is spoken about all over national media... What rock are you living under... Twitter followers does not equal fame. 

BYU produced another star??? We'll see... Your angry bias towards BYU makes me think you are either related to Zach or someone that went to school with him

• Thumb Down 1

10 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

1 minute ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Man... You are impossible... He is spoken about all over national media... What rock are you living under... Twitter followers does not equal fame. 

BYU produced another star??? We'll see... Your angry bias towards BYU makes me think you are either related to Zach or someone that went to school with him

Wednesday Morning GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Wednesday Morning GIF by MOODMAN

5 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

I am an Ivy League Jewish man from Brooklyn with Jets season tickets for 20 years. No connection to Zach other than I stalk his mom on instagram. 

Dang, I was told to lighten up or I was gonna get banned again and here I am, trying to and I guess it’s not working. 

I guess I go back to insulting @Jetsfan80.

Is the thought process here that Puka would have been a superstar if the Jets drafted him?

WRs are largely a byproduct of their QBs. Even Zach's biggest apologists wouldn't put him on Stafford's level. Meanwhile, Stafford was the QB for some of the statistically greatest WR seasons ever (on different teams with different teammates and coaches, different schemes, etc). 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Is the thought process here that Puka would have been a superstar if the Jets drafted him?

WRs are largely a byproduct of their QBs. Even Zach's biggest apologists wouldn't put him on Stafford's level. Meanwhile, Stafford was the QB for some of the statistically greatest WR seasons ever (on different teams with different teammates and coaches, different schemes, etc). 

Not necessarily a superstar, but maybe better than Allen Lazard or Randall Cobb. 

7 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Not necessarily a superstar, but maybe better than Allen Lazard or Randall Cobb. 

The All-22 on every single game this year shows WRs/TEs/RBs running free/open and Zach either missing the read or missing the throw to them.

Whether Puka would be able to replicate his personal ability to get open is irrelevant to the results of this team; individually he'd have less production.

44 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

My understanding is that he had a bad 40 time as a result if injury history. I think both things factored in, combined. 

Kid had been lights out so far, though.

The 40 was fine. The consistent refrain I’ve heard from draft folks is that the medical was the big concern. He never had more than 805 yards in college and always less than 50 receptions.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, derp said:

The 40 was fine. The consistent refrain I’ve heard from draft folks is that the medical was the big concern. He never had more than 805 yards in college and always less than 50 receptions.

4.57 40 was 34th amongst combine WRs. Not great.  Yeah he has some injuries too, you are right.