Would this offense be good with Aaron Rodgers?

I just finished watching the All 22 from last weeks game and I’ve come to the conclusion that 40 year old Aaron Rodgers would not have been successful.

Observations: 

-The OL stinks in pass protection

-The WR with the exception of Garrett can’t get separation. Lazard is a complete zero. 

-The running game is AWFUL. One of the worst success rates in the league. 

Obviously prime Rodgers could make a high school offense look good, but 40 year old Rodgers? Not sure. 

What are your thoughts?

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 2
  • Sympathy 3
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

My thoughts……….

It would look a hell of a lot better with him behind center than ZW.

We’re probably not putting up 30 points per game with ARod but we would be a lot more effective with him. Redzone and 3rd down success rate would be the biggest difference imo.

Of course it would be better, but would it be good?

If we are the 25-32 ranked offense now I’d think we’d be 18-25 with Aaron. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JetFaninPatLand said:

Of course it would be better, but would it be good?

If we are the 25-32 ranked offense now I’d think we’d be 18-25 with Aaron. 

I’d say we would be in the 15 range. Middle of the pack give or take a few spots in either direction.

Arod has proven that he can do more with less. We can’t say the same about ZW.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, JetFaninPatLand said:

His best year was last season and he got 788 yards.

He was targeted 100 times and caught 60 balls.

This year his stats are almost identical except he’s only on pace for 619 yards on less targets. He has 17 receptions on 29 targets (59%). 

He’s not good…..

I never said Lazard was good. I didn’t like the signing from day 1. Hardman either. but I  thought he could be a solid number 2 or 3 behind GWils. Also that 788 is with him missing 2 games. If he played all 17 he would be right around that 900 number

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I never said Lazard was good. I didn’t like the signing from day 1. Hardman either. but I  thought he could be a solid number 2 or 3 behind GWils. Also that 788 is with him missing 2 games. If he played all 17 he would be right around that 900 number

His efficiency numbers are the same with Zach as they are with Aaron. The Packers offense was able to sustain drives last year because they had a very good running game with Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon. Their passing game even with Aaron was a mess. 

I do agree that Aaron would have helped the running game. That’s where I think his impact would be felt the most as teams would be more hesitant to challenge him. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:
The thing about Rogers is timing.  There has been many videos showing how Zach does not process fast enough and misses "NFL windows."
With Rodgers, he can throw guys open, and I have never seen anyone make dime throws better before a WR makes his cut.  He anticipates so well.  
So yes, I think he would make this offense better.  That said, many more injuries to the O-Line and that opinion would probably change. 

I was just gonna post the opposite ... The number of drops and poor OL play lead me to think as Darnold Schwarzenegger said .. the biggest doff would be better RZ production.

Zach is seeing the field better and is hitting guys ... There have been a LOT of drops.

In the Red Zone he has been BAD.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Lazard is a 900 yard receiver with ARod. He’s a 450 yard wr with ZW. 

also Arod would be more decisive and get rid of the ball quicker, thus making the line look a little better than they have looked with Wilson. 

the running game would be more effective with a qb that opposing defenses respect. If ZW beats them they can live with it. There not trying to let Breece run wild. Opposing teams game plan around our run game. With ARod they would have to respect the pass as well.

Allen’s highest yard total is 788 with Aaron. 513, 451 & 477 are the other 3 years. This year Lazard’s receiving yards are projected to be roughly 620 yards.

• Upvote 1

The truth is, we're "lucky" ARod got hurt so quickly.  He likely was going to get injured at some point due to the OL instability, but at least now he has a CHANCE (?) to come back, and maybe we find some sort of rhythm by then.

(I'd also like a Red Ryder BB gun for Christmas if anyone feels so inclined . . .)

7 hours ago, JetFaninPatLand said:

I just finished watching the All 22 from last weeks game and I’ve come to the conclusion that 40 year old Aaron Rodgers would not have been successful.

Observations: 

-The OL stinks in pass protection

-The WR with the exception of Garrett can’t get separation. Lazard is a complete zero. 

-The running game is AWFUL. One of the worst success rates in the league. 

Obviously prime Rodgers could make a high school offense look good, but 40 year old Rodgers? Not sure. 

What are your thoughts?

Key point in your post..

Somehow folks think that you can win big without an excellent OL, you can’t!

You Can’t…..

Brady had outstanding OLs his whole career for the most part. 

Simple if you don’t have a good OL in the NFL you cannot win on a consistent and significant basis.  

The one key area of improvement would be as others have said would be in the RZ, so yes the Jets would be better, much better..

I think we'd obviously be better. But the OL would still be an issue. In Rodgers few snaps he wasn't getting rid of the ball and wasn't getting protection either.

But I do think we'd be throwing quite a bit more and guys like GW, Lazard and Conklin would be a lot better for us than they have been.

I think people can forget how defenses would also play us different with Rodgers back there. Zach gets 0 respect from opposing defenses as he they should, bc he hasn't shown he can torch a D. Where defenses would have that respect of Rodgers beating them, so the LOS would be more open. Not as many blitzes likely. etc.

• Post of the Week 1

Rodgers was a middle of the road QB last year - ranking somewhere around 15-17.  He had a top 5 OL and a similar WR group in Lazard, Cobb and Watson.

I suspect overall it would be similar - downgraded OL, but GW is better than Watson - but Rodgers is a year older and clearly declining.

Still, I think there is no doubt it would be a better offense - but I wouldn't expect it to be top offense.  Best guess - middle to bottom half of the league.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Rodgers was a middle of the road QB last year - ranking somewhere around 15-17.  He had a top 5 OL and a similar WR group in Lazard, Cobb and Watson.

I suspect overall it would be similar - downgraded OL, but GW is better than Watson - but Rodgers is a year older and clearly declining.

Still, I think there is no doubt it would be a better offense - but I wouldn't expect it to be top offense.  Best guess - middle to bottom half of the league.

This 

The PFF dudes basically said this too but threw in an interesting bone regarding Zach and his play that I honestly never considered 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Lazard is a 900 yard receiver with ARod. He’s a 450 yard wr with ZW. 

also Arod would be more decisive and get rid of the ball quicker, thus making the line look a little better than they have looked with Wilson. 

the running game would be more effective with a qb that opposing defenses respect. If ZW beats them they can live with it. There not trying to let Breece run wild. Opposing teams game plan around our run game. With ARod they would have to respect the pass as well.

Lazard is one of the pass-dropped leaders on the team.  That says a lot. 

Let's right out and say it, he is Mr. Butterfingers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1