Tankathon (2023-24 Season Edition)

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

After the 2020 season I felt despair. Now I feel nothing. Just spent. Not a silver lining in sight.

Its been a long long year. Probably worse than any of the last years since Saleh took over because we had such high expectations.  But there are some silver linings going into next year. Zach will be gone.  Rodgers will be back. Breece is back! the defense is maturing and can get even better. JD has 1 year to figure it out so hopefully he does.  Its his last hurrah as is Saleh's.  

Next week, Houston play Cleveland. If they win, obviously they progress to the divisional round. But they also IMPROVE their draft position as a result - they traded their own pick to Arizona, but own Cleveland's pick from the Watson trade.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Its been a long long year. Probably worse than any of the last years since Saleh took over because we had such high expectations.  But there are some silver linings going into next year. Zach will be gone.  Rodgers will be back. Breece is back! the defense is maturing and can get even better. JD has 1 year to figure it out so hopefully he does.  Its his last hurrah as is Saleh's.  

There is no way JD is going to be able to fix the joke of a OL he has built. 2nd year in a row his OL has finished last in the NFL ( or 2nd to last ). Going to need another WR or Garrett is going to be doubled all season. Without a 2nd rounder. Not a ton of cap. The only way to make the OL semi respectable, get another WR weapon, going to have to trade some prime meat on defense. Will be a tough sell for Saleh, and we all know how big of a pushover JD is. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean yeah.  But you pick high enough you can also trade down for an enormous package.  Other than 2021….We’re never even in position to do that.  

I agree, and if we were talking about the difference between picking 2nd or 3rd vs. 7th or 8th, then I’d really care. If we’re talking something like 8th versus 12th, I just think it’s a lot less meaningful and there will undoubtedly be a very good player available that can help the Jets offense at those spots. Whether they take the right guy or not, that has become the perennial question.

6 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

There is no way JD is going to be able to fix the joke of a OL he has built. 2nd year in a row his OL has finished last in the NFL ( or 2nd to last ). Going to need another WR or Garrett is going to be doubled all season. Without a 2nd rounder. Not a ton of cap. The only way to make the OL semi respectable, get another WR weapon, going to have to trade some prime meat on defense. Will be a tough sell for Saleh, and we all know how big of a pushover JD is. 

Douglas was given a lifeline because of the AR injury BUT he also buried himself in a home.  He has done a horrendous job with the OL.  Like you said he needs another WR and obviously a legit backup QB which is t cheap.  I agree he may use the defense to get more assets like maybe tag/out a tender  Huff to recoup a second 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

If we would’ve had one more meaningless win in 2020 we don’t end up with ZW

I've heard this many times before but it's inaccurate.  We were dead when we beat the Rams at 0-13.  Jacksonville had one win and the tiebreaker and no intention of attempting to win another game that season.  We however came up against the Browns whose entire crop of WRs were out due to Covid regulations and beat them so we missed out on Lawrence by two wins.  Btw it appears that entire 2021 draft class of QBs will go down as one of the most disappointing ever. #1 hasn't lived up to expectations and choked away his team's playoff chances today,  #2 Bust, #3 bust,  #11 meh, #15 bust.  Now the 2020 class with Burrow, Tua, and Herbert will go down as just slightly better but I'm sure we would have effed that one up anyway so really no reason to despair...

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, PS17 said:

In this draft I think it’s pretty major. Off the top of my head there are eight players that are a cut above the rest of the class, and now we’re likely picking in no man’s land. 

Williams

Maye

Daniels

Alt 

Fashanu

Harrison

Nabers

Odunze

Certainly possible, but you know how the draft process works. The eight guys today will likely not be the eight guys in April. Off-season workouts, Combine, teams moving around, etc. almost always end up shuffling who the top 8 or 10 guys should be.

Will be fun to see how this plays out but it feels like we could almost guarantee one or two of those guys are available outside the top 10. Just seems to work that way every year.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, PS17 said:

In this draft I think it’s pretty major. Off the top of my head there are eight players that are a cut above the rest of the class, and now we’re likely picking in no man’s land. 

Williams

Maye

Daniels

Alt 

Fashanu

Harrison

Nabers

Odunze

Busch Beer GIF by Busch

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Certainly possible, but you know how the draft process works. The eight guys today will likely not be the eight guys in April. Off-season workouts, Combine, teams moving around, etc. almost always end up shuffling who the top 8 or 10 guys should be.

Will be fun to see how this plays out but it feels like we could almost guarantee one or two of those guys are available outside the top 10. Just seems to work that way every year.

Maybe Belichick stays and picks the white cornerback from Iowa at 2 overall 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Fans always say things like “They’re only 5 impact players in this draft and we’re picking 6th so we’re screwed”.  It’s nonsense.  Honestly every year we see players slip in the first round or even later rounds and become good players while guys in the top 10 who were predicted to be can’t miss prospects dint live up to the hype.  Happens every year 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

And even more importantly, they absolutely will not be the actual top 8 players in a few years when we look back at the draft. It never happens that way. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Just now, Greensleeves said:

And even more importantly, they absolutely will not be the actual top 8 players in a few years when we look back at the draft. It never happens that way. 

Exactly.  Happens every year. If you look at most players in the top 10 a lot of them flame out or dint live up to the hype.  Sometimes they hit like Sauce and Garrett Wilson.  Sometimes you find gems in the second round which makes you wonder how the heck i they ended up there….Breece Hall

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, RobR said:

This is flawed logic and you know it. Just because the jets have made the wrong selections doesn't mean that draft picks should be looked at as a lottery ticket.

Do you want to trade down and pick up extra picks....it helps to have a higher pick.

We ended up with Wilson instead of Lawrence because we had a meaningless win against the Rams.

I think of draft picks as a bankroll. The larger your bankroll, the more maneuverability come draft day and the greater chance at adding assets. 

Winning meaningless games is well....meaningless. It doesn't carry over to next year.

I'd rather have 10k in the bank to wheel and deal instead of 5k. 

You can't expect the players to roll over. We were a better team than the Pats - it was very obvious. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Not worried about getting a tackle where they pick, they’ll get a RT if they want.  The bigger problem is that with no 2nd rounder currently, they still need a 2nd wr, and a real qb prospect.  Even if they use the 3rd rounder on a wr, it probably means they’re not drafting a qb and they’ll have the oldest/slowest qbs in the nfl.  When in reality they’d be better off trading 2025 picks to get a qb so he’s in here when rodgers gets hurt week 2. 

4 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

You can't expect the players to roll over. We were a better team than the Pats - it was very obvious. 

No but if you bench Breece rather than hand it to him 37 times it sure improves the odds of a loss.  

It shocks me how many people still think what we mean by “tanking” is where players try to lose.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Exactly.  Players aren’t just going to lose on purpose.  They’re playing for jobs even if it isn’t for the team they’re currently on.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

I don't expect the players to roll over. I also don't like that Hackett came up with his best game plan since the season started.

It can be done subtly. We failed to do that yet again.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No but if you bench Breece rather than hand it to him 37 times it sure improves the odds of a loss.  

It shocks me how many people still think what we mean by “tanking” is where players try to lose.  

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

You bench/play your best players less. It’s a FO/coaching thing. It’s not “alright the plan is to the lose the game, play at 75%” The Jags did it to us by benching Minshew for Glennon to get Lawrence. The Bucs did it to get Winston.

5 minutes ago, Barton said:

Part of why the tank would have been so important is, it forces Joe Douglas to make slam dunk pick (if Joe Alt is staring him in the face at pick #5).

Instead we are now having to trust JDs judgement when picking between the 3rd and 5th best offensive tackle prospect, or 3-5 WR prospect at pick #9-11.

That's not a good feeling. 

This and handing the Pats a great shot at a FQB are the reasons this is not a good win.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Barton said:

Part of why the tank would have been so important is, it forces Joe Douglas to make slam dunk pick (if Joe Alt is staring him in the face at pick #5).

Instead we are now having to trust JDs judgement when picking between the 3rd and 5th best offensive tackle prospect, or 3-5 WR prospect at pick #9-11.

I love posters cherry picking random good players selected in the 20s by front offices who are good at scouting. Douglas picked Becton and Zach Wilson with significantly higher picks and we expect him to do well with lower draft picks? Good luck with that. 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Also Garrett Wilson cleared concussion protocol but left a meaningless game with a neck injury that I believe we’ve heard nothing about since.

Could be nothing, but playing young cornerstone pieces in a meaningless game in a violent sport has potential bad outcomes beyond missing out on Malik Nabers.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, RobR said:

I don't expect the players to roll over. I also don't like that Hackett came up with his best game plan since the season started.

It can be done subtly. We failed to do that yet again.

This would have been the game to feed Izzy the ball 25 times. Saleh sucks.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

37 minutes ago, Barton said:

Once again how many times have we’ve see a supposedly slam dunk pick in the top 10 fail?  Happens all the time more often than not.  If you’re good at staring you can find good players throughout the draft not just in the top 5

8 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

To rub salt in the wound - the Giants and Titans won meaning we’d be picking at least 6. If the Chargers hold on to win we’d pick 5. If we lost the Washington game we’d be picking 3rd, now we’re at 11 maybe! Oh well at least we got those 2 culture building wins!

10 lolls like.  You can find good players at 10….Garrett Wilson 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

10 lolls like.  You can find good players at 10….Garrett Wilson 

True but in this specific draft the top 2 stud OTs will be long gone. Jets need 2 new OTs for next season with no path in getting even one right now. Rodgers will probably get his buddy Bakhtieri here and I guess resign Becton to a team friendly deal maybe? There’s nothing available in free agency. With the 10th pick they can maybe get Bowers, Nabers, Odunze? Will be interesting!

35 minutes ago, Larz said:

What are the giants doing ?

Might get jumped by the chargers and obviously ruin everything 

So many teams who just don't know about the benefits of tanking, I guess. 🙄

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

True but in this specific draft the top 2 stud OTs will be long gone. Jets need 2 new OTs for next season with no path in getting even one right now. Rodgers will probably get his buddy Bahkteri here and I guess resign Becton to a team friendly deal maybe? There’s nothing available in free agency. With the 10th pick they can maybe get Bowers, Nabers, Odunze? Will be interesting!

Well I agree with you Rodgers should have zero say in Who we bring in.  This year we brought in all his guys and they failed miserably.  The draft is very funny.  The guy you think will be a monster in the top 5 is a bust and a guy you take in the teens is a bigtime player.  Happens every year.