Boyle over Siemian - Do you approve?

slimjasi

Do you agree with the decision to start Boyle over Siemian?   

75 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the decision to start Boyle over Siemian?

Boyle is familiar with the system and Hackett so probably the right move on a short week.  If not, I'm sure he will get the hook pretty quickly.  I'm not sure how we desperately need Siemian considering he was always a bottom of the barrel type of QB.  In his best year with Denver he was mediocre.  

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Hex said:

Probably the offseason. I'm not a contract genius but I;m pretty sure it's better to cut him in the offseason (pre or post June 1) than now.

The reason he's dressing Friday is because he's behind 2 QBs who haven't started a game in a while behind a bad OL. Chances of injury are high.

In terms of Zach's cap charges, it makes no difference whatsoever if he's cut now or next season. His cap number this year is already locked in, as is the number for next season. I think it's been that way since June 1st. 

Really the only extra cost is a replacement PS/QB3 as an add-on, but that won't even be a rounding error of additional-difference on next year's cap space.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

In terms of Zach's cap charges, it makes no difference whatsoever if he's cut now or next season. His cap number this year is already locked in, as is the number for next season. I think it's been that way since June 1st. 

Really the only extra cost is a replacement PS/QB3 as an add-on, but that won't even be a rounding error of additional-difference on next year's cap space.

Ok, then I was wrong. I don't see any point of not cutting him now in that case. There are FA QBs out there, even if crappy.

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Approve.  Royal Boyle has been the number 2 all year.  You dont just have the 3rd stringer jump the 2nd stringer for no reason.

Royal Boyle has earned this shot.  He leash will not be long but hes the guy on friday.

Season is over anyway so it really doesnt matter.

Huh ? Lol. If jets picked up wentz, traded for Dobbs, etc. They couldn’t be elevated over Boyle before Boyle was here first ? I didn’t know this was pop Warner where everyone is required to play regardless of skill lol

I voted No.

Personally, I would go with the more experienced, more historically successful, and statistically better option.  With that said, I have no idea how these guys are looking in practice.  Perhaps Boyle is showing more.

I'm going to the game on Friday.  If I'm being honest, I would be slightly more excited if it was Siemian instead of Boyle taking the reigns.  I have essentially zero confidence in Boyle, but hopefully he surprises me.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, slimjasi said:

What are your thoughts on Boyle starting over Trevor Siemian? I had gotten the distinct impression from Saleh's comments over the past couple of months that this coaching staff likes Boyle more than Siemian. Well, now that has been confirmed as Boyle is starting this week.

However, it's hard not to look at Boyle's past performances and be extremely concerned. Boyle's career numbers are hilariously bad (both college and pro) and he didn't even score in garbage time on Sunday like almost every backup QB does in that situation. 

The flip side is that he did have a good preseason (outplayed Zach pretty comfortably). And, of course, we know Boyle is an AROD groupie - which is probably the key factor. Head coach Aaron Rodgers probably thinks Boyle gives us the best chance to win. 

But my question to you is - Are you happy with Boyle playing over Siemian? 

Behind this OL... We are just going to watch a different terrible QB get sacked and running for his life... It really doesn't matter... Anybody that thinks that the Offense is going to be better because they put in these fools... Isn't really watching

9 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Approve.  Royal Boyle has been the number 2 all year.  You dont just have the 3rd stringer jump the 2nd stringer for no reason.

Royal Boyle has earned this shot.  He leash will not be long but hes the guy on friday.

Season is over anyway so it really doesnt matter.

Big Dick Tim

I thought Boyle looked ok in pre season probably better than Zach. But on Sunday he didn't play well no better than Zach maybe worse. Reportedly he knows the Hackett offense well so maybe he can bring in a little efficiency. It's worth taking a chance with him. Look if he can give the team some drives and time of possession the defense who didn't play well on Sunday could keep us in the game. That defense that beat the Bills and the Eagles. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, slimjasi said:

To "the season is over "crowd: You're wrong. 

Sure, we aren't going anywhere. But the season isn't over. We have 7 games left, including two more games on national TV (oh joy!). If Saleh loses his last 10 games and goes from 4-3 to 4-13, do you honestly think he's guaranteed to return? I don't. Owner Aaron Rodgers might be pissed enough to do something drastic like promote his buddy OC. NYJ Rule of Thumb: Things can ALWAYS get worse. Always. 

We also have a very young roster (particularly on offense) and I think these games matter for those guys. 

These games matter and not being embarrassed on a weekly basis is important. 

2 more games on national TV?  I know we have the Thursday nighter against Cleveland.  Are you counting the Black Friday game?  Or are you thinking they'll flex the Jets into MNF against the Texans?  (I could still see that happening).

To me, Boyle and Siemian are a complete waste of time.  I would think Siemian is the better QB of the 2 but maybe Boyle is better suited to play behind this OL.  Plus it sounds like Boyle really knows Nate Hackett's system and Nate is intrigued to see what our offense will look like with him in there.

I'm basically rooting for draft position at this point so I guess I'm happy that Boyle is in there over Siemian.  

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

2 more games on national TV?  I know we have the Thursday nighter against Cleveland.  Are you counting the Black Friday game?  Or are you thinking they'll flex the Jets into MNF against the Texans?  (I could still see that happening).

Yep - Black Friday. It’s the Thursday night game in disguise - being covered by Al Michaels/Kirk and shown on prime video. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...