If AR doesn't get hurt, this team is 5-5, maybe 6-4

rbstern

And while that would be an important difference in the playoff hunt, it doesn't really change the outlook of the team.

The number one priority is fixing the o-line.  There are maybe two or three QBs in the league who would (again...maybe) be okay behind the Jets o-line:  Mahommes, Jackson, maybe Murray.  Guys with high pocket awareness and the ability to hurt the defense with their legs.  And they'd still take a beating.  Not convinced this o-line wouldn't have gotten AR knocked out sooner or later, anyway.

The number two priority is getting a legit #2 wideout.

The number three priority is upgrading TE.  Ruckert might be one of the guys, but Conklin and Uzomah have been under-performers and don't fit the mold of the consistent threats that the upper tier TEs in the league represent.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

We saw one series of Rodgers and he looked shot 

Holding the ball 5 seconds on a 2 second quick hit that was open 

Look at 2022 film he's been gunshy for a while 

Look at his performance in big games or playoffs he's never been more than a coin flip in big games 

Rodgers is washed. Done. He's better than Zach and Boyle but he's not elite anymore. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Look at his performance in big games or playoffs he's never been more than a coin flip in big games 

Rodgers is washed. Done. He's better than Zach and Boyle but he's not elite anymore. 

The best part about him coming back in December is he's going to play just well enough for 2 games to convince everyone that doing this all over again in 2024 is a good idea.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Hex said:

Jets win the Raiders game and Patriots game at least. I bet they win some of the others too. Defense wouldn't give up in the 2nd Bills game. Rodgers keeps this team in the playoffs.

Yea Zach directly contributed to a 17 point swing in the Chargers game as well. I think we win that with Rodgers

1 minute ago, ChrebetOverKeyshawn said:

Patriots, Chiefs, Raiders all wins. That’s a minimum of 7-3, I’d also say the Charger game wouldn’t have snowballed the way it did. They’re probably 8-2 with AR 

I agree with that, but if the OL with Rodgers looks like it does now, the Jets lose more games than they win from here on out.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

25 minutes ago, Hex said:

Jets win the Raiders game and Patriots game at least. I bet they win some of the others too. Defense wouldn't give up in the 2nd Bills game. Rodgers keeps this team in the playoffs.

They win the Pats game, they win the Chiefs game, probably beat the Raiders.

That's 7 wins

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Wow, you can really tell how this season would have unfolded from 1 series of plays with a new team and very little preseason action?  Good for you. Just last year with meh talent around him he was 26/12 3700 yards and 65% completions. What do you think the Jets record would be with similar numbers from the QB instead of the trash we have witnessed? 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I love when guys make up imaginary records saying things like “we’d be 6-4 if…” as if the teams we beat or lost to would’ve played the exact same way on both offense and defense as they did with Wilson at QB right?

I mean they would’ve definitely continue to load up the box, and would’ve certainly tried to run the clock with 10 point leads right?

Not to mention the 40yo QB (who broke down after 4 plays) would’ve definitely reverted back to his ‘21 self as if ‘22 never happened… because those things always work out for this team.

27 minutes ago, Hex said:

Yep. I think they would be more like 6-4 or 7-3 if Rodgers was qb.  I don’t think he would be as passive as Zach is.  He would refuse to lose and play with more fire.  And maybe Lazard catches the balls. And saleh would get behind Rodgers if he called out certain players for poor play.

4 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Wow, you can really tell how this season would have unfolded from 1 series of plays with a new team and very little preseason action?  Good for you. Just last year with meh talent around him he was 26/12 3700 yards and 65% completions. What do you think the Jets record would be with similar numbers from the QB instead of the trash we have witnessed? 

They did not get 2022 Rodgers they got 2023 Rodgers and as he ages it won't get better 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rbstern said:

Can't agree. 

The running game is trash.  Without the run, the play action doesn't scare anybody.  And AR is Mr. Play Action.

6-4 or 5-5.

The run game is trash because defenses know the QB can't beat them downfield so they can focus on stopping the run. Put a real QB behind center who knows how to read defenses and its a totally different outcome with the running game. Jets would be 6-4/7-3 and in playoff contention and a far cry from a 4-6 sh*t show that has no hope. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, rbstern said:

Compounded by a really bad o-line and glaring holes in receivers/TEs.

The QB is a multiplier. It's a team game and everyone matters but the QB touches the ball every play and orchestrates the offense. A really bad QB makes everyone look worse. A really good QB makes everyone look better. Aaron Rodgers would be making more adjustments at the line of scrimmage putting guys in a better position to succeed and know what the defense is doing and where to go with the ball before the snap.

There are major issues on the o-line now that they're decimated with injuries and the WR corps beyond G. Wilson is a total joke. Aaron Rodgers would elevate everyone where as Zach Wilson was bringing everyone down.

The difference would be night and day.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The QB is a multiplier. It's a team game and everyone matters but the QB touches the ball every play and orchestrates the offense. A really bad QB makes everyone look worse. A really good QB makes everyone look better.

There are major issues on the o-line now that they're decimated with injuries and the WR corps beyond G. Wilson is a total joke. Aaron Rodgers would elevate everyone where as Zach Wilson was bringing everyone down.

You would think that people who watch Zach Wilson and NY Jets football every damn week would kind of understand these undeniable facts. 

12 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The QB is a multiplier. It's a team game and everyone matters but the QB touches the ball every play and orchestrates the offense. A really bad QB makes everyone look worse. A really good QB makes everyone look better. Aaron Rodgers would be making more adjustments at the line of scrimmage putting guys in a better position to succeed and know what the defense is doing and where to go with the ball before the snap.

Except he's not playing because he's old and hurt. It's safe to say he would likely continue to be old and probably also hurt if he was even playing.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

They got a guy 1 year removed from those numbers on a lousy team. I'll take my chances with that rather than hang my hat on 4 plays to start a season. 

He's also 20 years removed from college 

He's done. I know no one wants to hear it 

7 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

With a healthy Rodgers, the Jets probably have the best record in the AFC. At the very least they’d be very close

Teams wouldn’t even have wanted to play us. They’d be forfeiting before the game started.

I love this thread… We all get to put forth a hypothetical scenario.
Imagine if we had a healthy Dan Marino? 17-0 baby!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

Teams wouldn’t even have wanted to play us. They’d be forfeiting before the game started.

I love this thread… We all get to state a hypothetical as if it’s fact. Imagine if we had a healthy Dan Marino?

I guess you don’t think that going from the worst QB in Jets history to at worst a top 12 QB and first ballot hall of famer moves the needle at all?

• Upvote 2