What players should not be on this team next year?

Beerfish

I think first you have to look at the upcoming FAs.

Let walk: Lawson, Brown, Cook, Whitehead, Cobb, Hardee, Bryce Hall, Al Woods, Turner, Siemian, Becton, Huff (like so many have said - I think he will price himself out of our grasp). 

Bring back: McGovern, S.Thomas, G. the Leg, Morstead, Clark, Ash Davis, Jefferson, Yeboah.

Who am I cutting? Zach Wilson, CJ Uzomah and Tomlinson.

Who am trying to re-structure? Mosley, JFM, maybe DJ Reed. I am not a cap guru.  

So what's the roster looking like? 

We are 're-building' the o-line. We are bringing in a legit vet QB2. We are going after another WR in FA or trade. And we are minimizing our investment on the defense with McDonald stepping into Huff's role, Ash Davis and Clark slotted in as the safeties and Solomon Thomas being the only interior D-lineman I am bringing back. If Jefferson and/or Woods want to come back on a team friendly deal, ok. Otherwise, I am scouring FA for cheap DT depth.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

I'm guessing their new Huff is waiting in the wings. At least I think that's what they believe.

McD needs to put on 20 lbs of muscle without losing speed or bend. Then he becomes what Huff is currently.

A Non-Exclusive Tag on Huff might be a smart move. Joe might be able to work out a LT deal or have another team offer two 1st round picks to sign him. A team like Baltimore (3-4) or SF or Philadelphia  might make an offer

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Laken is gone 100%

i dont think so. besides how hard it is to fill 3 OL spots in one off season he has a 10 mil dead cap hit. you got about 11 Mil for Zach, thats alot of money your wasting. 

Zach has to go. but Laken has been a good player until he got here. i think if you add a good Tackle next to him he will play better. plus he is the only starter to not get injured

#1 priority is getting rid of Zach and replacing him with a good backup QB.

#2 is LT

#3 is RT

#4 is WR

last on my list is Laken and only if you must. all things considered, i think he stays.

20 minutes ago, doitny said:

i dont think so. besides how hard it is to fill 3 OL spots in one off season he has a 10 mil dead cap hit. you got about 11 Mil for Zach, thats alot of money your wasting. 

Zach has to go. but Laken has been a good player until he got here. i think if you add a good Tackle next to him he will play better. plus he is the only starter to not get injured

#1 priority is getting rid of Zach and replacing him with a good backup QB.

#2 is LT

#3 is RT

#4 is WR

last on my list is Laken and only if you must. all things considered, i think he stays.

Tomlinson is a net savings of $400,000 if cut after June 1. He's the worst player on the team.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

I like that. Ridley would be HUGE. But they need 2 tackles, one in draft one FA.  Just cant see JD going onto next year with Warren and Becton at RT.  JD is going to have to find some money by making cuts like Mosley, Lawson, Uzumah etc etc to free up some cash for the OL and WR's.

I agree that they need 2 OTs and I don't think Becton is coming back. I think they will sign 1 OT, hedge their bets by signing a mid level IOL and saying AVT will start at OT going into the draft so they aren't pigeon holded into taking an OT in the first. Then, if an OT is available at their 1st rounder, they will move AVT back inside and keep the free agent IOL as depth. 

There are players who are not under contract next year who are easy not to bring back-they should not be back:

• Billy Turner
  • Randall Cobb
  • Becton
  • Lawson
  • McGovern

There are players who are not under contract who we may want to bring back-they may not necessarily be willing, depending on how they think they were treated-the Jets have basically  no control over this situation, and JD's plan may have been to maximize compensatory draft picks (which don't do us much good in a 2024 all or nothing year):

• Whitehead
  • Ashtyn Davis
  • Becton (again)
  • Bryce Hall
  • Huff (see below)
  • McGovern (again)

There are players who are under contract who can be cut for significant cap savings:

• Uzomah
  • Tomlinson (I think he stays one more year though because there are too many holes on the OL already, and I think he gets better with someone better on this left).
  • JFM

Huff will get tagged and then traded (or they trade JFM and eat Huff's contract).

Every year we suffer the delusion of thinking we are going to fill our OL needs with FAs.  It never works.  Players take less money to play elsewhere.   Keith Carter ain't attracting anyone. 

But as a general matter JD needs to shift resources from defense/unproductive offense to the OL and WR.  

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Threads like this are always fun to revisit, when literally none of what we want happens.

i want to bump the thread where we had a poll on the QB we all wanted. im pretty sure 95% of this board wanted Rodgers, i know cause i fought with most of them. now 95% of them are crying how we are done and cant win anything with a 40 yr old QB.

i want to see all the flip floppers who just 8 months ago thought this was the best thing ever and now were doomed if we dont get rid of Rodgers.

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

I agree that they need 2 OTs and I don't think Becton is coming back. I think they will sign 1 OT, hedge their bets by signing a mid level IOL and saying AVT will start at OT going into the draft so they aren't pigeon holded into taking an OT in the first. Then, if an OT is available at their 1st rounder, they will move AVT back inside and keep the free agent IOL as depth. 

JD cannot eff this up by putting some midline draft pick to protect Rodgers. JD needs to make this OL at the very least stable and experienced. Moving AVT to tackle just leaves the guard position bare. Laken needs to be gone. They are going to need to take a T with that first rounder and sign or trade to get a guard and a tackle.  They cant rely on two rookies going into the season on the OL. That would be disastrous.

1 hour ago, doitny said:

i want to bump the thread where we had a poll on the QB we all wanted. im pretty sure 95% of this board wanted Rodgers, i know cause i fought with most of them. now 95% of them are crying how we are done and cant win anything with a 40 yr old QB.

i want to see all the flip floppers who just 8 months ago thought this was the best thing ever and now were doomed if we dont get rid of Rodgers.

In fairness, we’re a long looooooong ways away from last offseason. The results since then matter too.

27 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Trading the only high-worth guys on the D to help try and fix the O, yes. I wouldn’t think twice doing it. 

I’m partially with you - but the guy I’d look to trade is DJ Reed. Very good corner (but not quite elite) on a team friendly deal. Would net us significant draft capital. 

Sauce is a star at a premium position on a rookie contract. I’d only be interested in moving Sauce as part of a package for a current star at another premium position (QB, OT, WR), and preferably one who is also on a rookie deal. I don’t see that as realistic. 

I could be talked into moving QW, but I’d want the Jamal Adams Godfather package. 

18 hours ago, Warfish said:

Sauce (traded for picks)

Not directed at you, but the hate Gardner is getting this year is ridiculous. He’s been absolutely lock down since week 3. Allowing 1.5 catches for 12.5 yards a game. 

He’s as good as he was last year. No idea why any Jets fan would want to move on from him. To let Joe Douglas draft more busts? No thanks.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

JD cannot eff this up by putting some midline draft pick to protect Rodgers. JD needs to make this OL at the very least stable and experienced. Moving AVT to tackle just leaves the guard position bare. Laken needs to be gone. They are going to need to take a T with that first rounder and sign or trade to get a guard and a tackle.  They cant rely on two rookies going into the season on the OL. That would be disastrous.

So if they are picking 8 and Alt and Olu are gone, who should they pick?

21 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I'm sure we will have a few unanimous nods and a few more big disagreements on this topic.  Who should not be on the team and who will not be will look far different knowing our front office and coaching staff.

QB:  Obviously Zach Wilson has to be the first to go, sounds like they have already told him he is being dealt.  No way can he be back on the roster next year, not that he is much worse than other 3rd string schlock in this league but the jets could not face having to start him when Rodgers gets hurt.  

Siemian should also be gone, he is no good, Rodgers, a real #2 QB and a mid to late round developmental pick.

Oline:  Becton should not be back, not that there will be a huge line up of teams after him but I do not see us paying him on a multi year deal and he won't play on a prove it deal.  However you never know with Douglas, he hates to admit he was wrong it seems.  Some people will point to him being mostly healthy this year, say we have no tackles and want to stick him at RT or some such nonsense but the player is not good.

Thomlinson should also be gone but will be retained for all the wrong reasons.   Bad cap penalty if we dump him, actually one of the few olineman that can stay healthy, good 'team; guy 'leader' which this team values over actually being good at football.  Totally terrible player but the other reasons will keep him on the team.

TE: Uzomaoh, if he i back there is something seriously wrong with this teams brain.

WR: Allen Lazard should be gone but he for sure will be back probably for multiple years.   Runs poor routes, cant get open, suspect hands, actually gets deactivated which you have to be doing very badly for this head coach to do that.  Terrible player that will sadly prevent us from going after an upgrade.   Bad cap penalty, Douglas won't admit he blew it and Rodgers buddy being the reasons he will be back.   am sure we will hear a chorus of jets fans yelling 'But just wait till Aaron is back then he will be good!'  No he won't he was not even good his last year in Green Bay, he just got lots of targets.

Randell Cobb, sure make him an assistant coach or something if he has to be here, he can;t be seeing the field as a player.

Dline: The Jets waited a year too long re Huff, should have got him cheaper last year. Now he is going to want bank and it will be a mistake to pay him even though he is actually a good player.  We have two players occupying essentially the same spot, keep it as is and you do not get the best out of either.  I m pretty sure he will be resigned by the Jets so no fear jets fans who love the player but if it is at the cost of any offensive upgrade it is mistake.

LB:  This will stay as is, Jets love their LBs.  If it was me I'd easily move on from Mosley, if we can use his money for offense do it.  Linebackers that make a bunch of tackles behind dlines that keep them clean are the easiest thing to find in football.

Secondary:  Whitehead may leave via FA.  I am mostly good with our secondary we should try to keep it together, even some of our lower end backups still have some value.  I could see Bryce Hall moving on but Ashtyn Davis has shown a lot of value this year.

everyone GIF

16 minutes ago, maury77 said:

They can take Fuaga or Latham. Not sure why this is so controversial. Obviously, we would need to see how these guys look at the Senior Bowl and Combine but yet, those tow guys are stud RTs. Sign Tyron Smith to play LT. I know he's on the wrong side of 30 but you need a capable vet on the left side anyway and he is just that. He still has plenty left in the tank.   

Uzomah should be the first to be cut.  Ruckert, Yeboah and Kuntz are all better and cheaper.  

I would look to restructure Mosley.  He provides great veteran leadership and is still good but not sure he is worth the cap hit next season.  

Tomlinson should be cut.  

Only way I would re-sign Becton is for a one year cheap contract.  

Assuming the Jets end up with a top 10 pick I would trade back and accumulate additional picks.  Use them to build OL and OL depth.  

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, maury77 said:

Pretty likely scenario ( so cool that they eeked out another meaningless win) 

barring a trade back then I figure they’ll  go top wideout that they like (coleman, odunze, Nabers if he’s there) or just take the next best tackle they like or bowers. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/26/2023 at 7:00 PM, Beerfish said:

Allen Lazard should be gone but he for sure will be back probably for multiple years.

If the Jets follow your advice, they will continue to be last in the AFC East for years to come.  You take out the garbage, and he is garbage.  If the Jets have to keep Lazard next year due to his contract, and he plays like he did this year, then he most certainly would be gone after next season, and not multiple years, like you think. In any case, he gets demoted to wide receiver #4.  The Jets must get a #2 wide receiver, as he is not yet on this team.

On 12/27/2023 at 8:53 AM, PepPep said:

Why would you get rid of Irv Charles and Gibson, who have both been great special team contributors and are both under contract?

Gibson isn't going anywhere, he is one of the bright spots of the 2023 season.  

• Sympathy 1

Re a few Problem Players:

• Mekhi Becton is 47/100 on PFF's 2024 FA List (top half), with an expected contract of one year, $8mm/$7mm guaranteed.  The Jets have so far won 6 games with Becton at LT, and should have won 2-3 with better QB play.  He ain't an All Pro but will be better with a better LG.  I would offer him 2 years, $18mm/$10mm guaranteed and let him finish the AR8 Era.  
  • I think you have to include Lazard in the bucket of personnel (GM, Coaches, Players) that have upside when AR8.  I think for one year more Lazard will be productive WR2-3 with AR8 up his rear end.
  • The only way to be able to get Mosley to agree to a restructure is if the Jets had a viable alternative.  This defense is only worse without Mosley there.  Maybe Mosley agrees to give up $5mm so the Jets can sign a decent RG and be competitive.  Even a Brian Winters should be able to play that role,  He was a 3rd round pick.  
  • I think Tomlinson is the guy you just cut for being overpaid and BAD.  AVT goes back there and we get a new, cheaper, more durable, mauler RG.   The only issue is that AVT gets hurt.  I think we need to find another backup G.  That could be Tippman if we sign CMG again, which I would.  
  • Upvote 1

On 12/26/2023 at 10:08 PM, Adoni Beast said:

Color me optimistic but perhaps if we upgrade our WR2 position, putting Lazard in a natural WR3 / red zone option…he will be more productive as it was initially intended

Loss of Davis, although he was only ok, really hurt the Jets WR unit. They do indeed need a true #2 behind Wilson.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, maury77 said:

OK so after my coffee my brain is somewhat working. I'd take Daniels but we know that aint happening. So realistically at 8, I'd trade back, get an extra pick and take OT Fuga. If no trade was available, it would be really tough. Probably Nabers. OR, trade with Raiders in swap of 1st rounders, throw in a few players (Huff, Bryce Hall) for Devante Adams.  

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Taliese-Fuaga-OL-OregonState

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, varjet said:

Re a few Problem Players:

• Mekhi Becton is 47/100 on PFF's 2024 FA List (top half), with an expected contract of one year, $8mm/$7mm guaranteed.  The Jets have so far won 6 games with Becton at LT, and should have won 2-3 with better QB play.  He ain't an All Pro but will be better with a better LG.  I would offer him 2 years, $18mm/$10mm guaranteed and let him finish the AR8 Era.  
  • I think you have to include Lazard in the bucket of personnel (GM, Coaches, Players) that have upside when AR8.  I think for one year more Lazard will be productive WR2-3 with AR8 up his rear end.
  • The only way to be able to get Mosley to agree to a restructure is if the Jets had a viable alternative.  This defense is only worse without Mosley there.  Maybe Mosley agrees to give up $5mm so the Jets can sign a decent RG and be competitive.  Even a Brian Winters should be able to play that role,  He was a 3rd round pick.  
  • I think Tomlinson is the guy you just cut for being overpaid and BAD.  AVT goes back there and we get a new, cheaper, more durable, mauler RG.   The only issue is that AVT gets hurt.  I think we need to find another backup G.  That could be Tippman if we sign CMG again, which I would.  

Becton isnt horrific, but has not played to his potential. He has stayed relatively healthy which is surprising.  Seeing how the OL is just a shambles, resigning him isnt out of the question but I wouldn't pencil him in as a starter. I'd draft a tackle and sign another FA tackle and have Becton as a depth piece. We stuck with Lazard so next. Mosely - dont know the parameters of his contract/dead money etc.  He's a guy who can be replaced if it doesn't mess up the cap too much or if he refuses to bend.  Not a big loss or a big gain if he's retained. Tomlinson is an absolute waste.  Cut him and move on. Thats the one position thats going to be tough to fill since we need two new tackles as well.  JD could draft a center and slide Tippman to guard.  Bringing back McGovern is a very good idea as a depth piece, not as a starter.

7 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

OK so after my coffee my brain is somewhat working. I'd take Daniels but we know that aint happening. So realistically at 8, I'd trade back, get an extra pick and take OT Fuga. If no trade was available, it would be really tough. Probably Nabers. OR, trade with Raiders in swap of 1st rounders, throw in a few players (Huff, Bryce Hall) for Devante Adams.  

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Taliese-Fuaga-OL-OregonState

How do people keep talk about trading Huff?  Huff and Bryce Hall are both unrestricted free agents when the new league year starts.  They are no longer assets.  They would potentially fit into the comp pick formula which should net us some picks in 2025 (for a welcome change).