Who are you drafting without trading back

We’re on the clock in the 1st round and the top 2 OTs in Alt and Fashanu are off the clock. Obviously guys like Williams and MHJ are gone as well. So let’s not say one of them either.

Names that jump out to me are Bowers and Nabers. I’d rather take one of them than just draft the next best OT just because.

Obviously how FA goes will change things.

So to inform this, I ran several mocks on one of the mock sites, to see who might be left at ~pick #8.

Most had Jayden Daniels (QB), Brock Bowers (TE) and ONE of the top three OT's available (usually Fashanu, for what it's worth) still available by pick #8.

1. We know with almost total certainty that JD and A. Rodgers will not draft a QB in 2024.  So Daniels is out, like it or not.
  2. If one of the three top OT's (Alt, Fashanu or Latham) is available, I'd lean heavily in that direction.
  3. I appreciate Bowers is a good prospect, but TE at #8 feels.....risky, as a Jets Fan.  
  4. The 2nd WR in the draft (Keon Coleman) is almost sure to be available at #8, as are other possible 2nd best guys, but is he/they worth it?  He seems more a 10-12 type pick, which isn't a huge reach per se.

Ultimately, I likely go OT, then WR, then TE only if I have to, in that order, at pick #8.

I prefer this guy later in the draft (3rd, hopefully) to fill a hybrid H-Back/WR pass catching role:

Johnny Wilson

WR Florida State

Height: 6 - 6 | Weight: 237 | RAS: N/A

From high school — when a 6’6″ Wilson ran a 40-yard dash in the 4.5 range — to the 2023 offseason — when Wilson was documented by Bruce Feldman as having 36″ arms, a 35.5″ vertical, a 10’5″ broad jump, and a max speed over 21 MPH.

Wilson’s combination of size and speed shouldn’t be legal. After toiling for two years at Arizona State, the former four-star recruit got a chance to put it on display in Florida State’s offense in 2022. Emerging as a top receiving threat for Jordan Travis, Wilson caught 43 passes for 897 yards and five touchdowns, averaging over 20 yards per catch and earning second-team All-ACC honors.-Ian Cummings

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Just IMO -- I'd be surprised if Rome Odunze isn't the #2 WR by draft time. I've seen some hot takes that he's better than MHJ.

Rome Odunze

WR Washington

Height: 6 - 3 | Weight: 201 | RAS: N/A

A big-bodied receiver who is projected to be a workout warrior, Odunze's on-field athleticism doesn't quite match the supposed 4.34 40-yard dash he ran this spring. However, he doesn't have to run that fast to be a very good prospect. Odunze is a technician despite being a 6'3", 215-pound receiver, using his upper body to sell routes and then dominating at the catch point thanks to his huge catch radius.

His lack of separation isn't a concern because he has top-notch concentration and fast-twitch reactions. The bulk of his big plays came on double moves or back-shoulder plays where Penix showed great faith in him. Overall, Odunze reminds me of Michael Thomas, who was an incredible producer despite sharing some of the same areas for improvement.

Odunze will be in the running for the second-best receiver in this class in the right offense. He's not someone who is great after the catch, and he needs a trusting, daring quarterback who won't be scared of tight windows. If he gets that, Odunze can be a very good NFL starter. - Ian Valentino

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Just IMO -- I'd be surprised if Rome Odunze isn't the #2 WR by draft time. I've seen some hot takes that he's better than MHJ.

MHJ is good but he gets a lot more attention because of his name/bloodline.  Nabers, Odunze, Coleman are probably just as good than MHJ. 

• Upvote 1

I don't know all the names and all their strengths and weaknesses, but whoever the next best OT or WR is. Or Bowers if he rates above all of those.

One name I did like the sound of is Odunze, from the one write up I read he sounds just what we need to complement Wilson.

There's still FA to go first however - we may have addressed some of these positions (for better or worse) ahead of time.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

If we can sign a LT, than best WR on the Board, if we can sign a legit WR to pair with GW, than best LT on the Board.

That’s the problem, they’re hard to get.  That’s why we’re probably going tackle.  

So much depends on what they do in free agency.  The right guys might shake loose for the oline or even wr leaving an easy path to drafting oline.  I think they need oline in the first round.  There may be four tackles available in the first ten picks so the jets should be able to snag one.  And maybe becton will have an epiphany and finally dedicate himself to football once he sees the low offers he gets as a free agent.

• Upvote 1

If Jayden Daniels is on the board when we pick (I don’t think he will be), you’ve got to consider pulling the trigger. Could even be talked into Penix. This QB class is looking really good. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, PS17 said:

If Jayden Daniels is on the board when we pick (I don’t think he will be), you’ve got to consider pulling the trigger. Could even be talked into Penix. This QB class is looking really good. 

This year will be akin to passing on Mahomes and Watson, except it won’t be because of a 6th round prospect we drafted in the 2nd round the year prior, it will be because of a 40 year old that was showing regression and is now coming off a massive injury. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, PS17 said:

I would love a qb, but not with the first pick they have.  That’s earmarked for a tackle b/c becton sucks and is gone.  That’s what happens when you miss that badly.

i would prefer they flip huff for a day 2 pick and trade up with 2025 draft capital and get mccarthy. 

• Upvote 1

We will reach for a lousy ot like jc latham

I'd race to the podium to take Nabers.

I'd also take Odunze, or Keon Coleman.

I'd like Bowers as well as I love the player but I have absolutely zero confidence that the jets would know how to use such a player so he wold be a waste.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, rangerous said:

So much depends on what they do in free agency.

And how these prospects move in offseason workouts and the combine, aye.

I think threads like this, early on, sorta presume everyone knows this, but since the outcomes are unknown, we all go with the ranking of prospects and needs as they exist today.

Of course if we sign 5 OT's in FA, we are every unlikely to draft one at #8 overall, lol. :)

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Penix is more likely to go in the late 1st/early 2nd that at #8 overall.

And I'll say again, hoping for a QB is asking for disappointment, given Rodgers and the front offices "must win now" situation in 2024.

No one in the Jets management chain is thinking long term at this point, part of why keeping everyone for 2024 is such a bad bad idea.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And I'll say again, hoping for a QB is asking for disappointment, given Rodgers and the front offices "must win now" situation in 2024.

No one in the Jets management chain is thinking long term at this point, part of why keeping everyone for 2024 is such a bad bad idea.

If Penix lights up Michigan he’s going top 15. He throws as good a ball in college as anyone in recent memory and has insane pocket presence. If he had a clean bill of health he’s probably a top 2-3 pick. Some team will take a swing at him; so many QB needy teams in the top 15. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And how these prospects move in offseason workouts and the combine, aye.

I think threads like this, early on, sorta presume everyone knows this, but since the outcomes are unknown, we all go with the ranking of prospects and needs as they exist today.

Of course if we sign 5 OT's in FA, we are ever unlikely to draft one at #8 overall, lol. :)

Not with this FA OT class - honestly, I can’t think of a year with worse overall OL available in FA. 

not great for us 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, PS17 said:

If Penix lights up Michigan he’s going top 15. He throws as good a ball in college as anyone in recent memory and has insane pocket presence. If he had a clean bill of health he’s probably a top 2-3 pick. Some team will take a swing at him; so many QB needy teams in the top 15. 

Nobody is talking about mccarthy.  If he somehow falls into the 2nd round i would use 2025 draft picks to get him and have him be the backup 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Penix is my second favorite QB in this class. Super accurate. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Nobody is talking about mccarthy.  If he somehow falls into the 2nd round i would use 2025 draft picks to get him and have him be the backup 

Not a fan 

• Upvote 2