Schefter: Mike McCarthy on thin ice in Dallas

Pretty spicy from Schefter, confirming something that’s been bouncing around the NFL insider space for a few weeks—Jerry Jones is very open to replacing Mike McCarthy with Dan Quinn this offseason, and if McCarthy blows yet another game in the next week or two, he’s out. McCarthy has a history of embarrassing losses featuring late game blundering, and people around the Cowboys think Quinn is the driver behind this year’s success anyway. Jets-relevant because McCarthy and Rodgers have a relationship, and he’d be a guy who could be brought in to either replace Hackett or fill the passing game coordinator role.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39250627/bill-belichick-future-headlines-uncertain-coaching-situations

DALLAS COWBOYS: There continues to be a feeling from people around the league, and even some within the Cowboys organization, that coach Mike McCarthy will be measured by how Dallas' final game goes.

If the Cowboys play well in the postseason, McCarthy would have an excellent chance to keep his job. But if they struggle and end the season with an embarrassing loss, as has happened in each of the past two years, then some believe that change could come to Dallas.

The situation remains unsettled either way, and both the Cowboys and McCarthy -- fairly or unfairly -- have plenty to prove Sunday against Washington and then in the postseason.

The other factor is what the Cowboys will do with defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, who has interviewed for and been offered head-coaching jobs in each of the past two offseasons. Quinn has stayed with Dallas out of loyalty, because he felt strongly about the organization.

But there is a question about how long that will last and whether Dallas could coax him back for yet another season, which could factor into any decisions this team makes. The Cowboys do not want to lose Quinn, according to sources, and there are questions about what Dallas would be willing to do to keep him.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I know they had significant beef in the past, but Rodgers has since said that he loves McCarthy, etc. There’s no way Rodgers saw the offense this year and came away with any confidence in Hackett. McCarthy could serve two functions here—serve as a credible voice who can meet Rodgers eye to eye, and also light a fire under Saleh’s ass to grow up as a head coach, because his replacement would literally be in the building. 

If you are rodgers (scary i know), and you know you have 1 maybe 2 seasons left, are you banking the end of your legacy on saleh and Hackett, or someone you know who understands how to really get the most out of your talents?  The key here would be woody bringing in someone else to be a consultant to fix the offense, like reich, who would likely say you need someone like mccarthy.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I know they had significant beef in the past, but Rodgers has since said that he loves McCarthy, etc. There’s no way Rodgers saw the offense this year and came away with any confidence in Hackett. McCarthy could serve two functions here—serve as a credible voice who can meet Rodgers eye to eye, and also light a fire under Saleh’s ass to grow up as a head coach, because his replacement would literally be in the building. 

McCarthy is plenty good enough to take the sh*t Carolina job that no one will want and collect that last HC payday.

Belichick to Dallas….

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34989512/appreciation-mike-mccarthy-grown

Rodgers said their relationship has continued even though McCarthy is in his third season as the coach of the Dallas Cowboys, who come to Lambeau Field on Sunday. It will be McCarthy's first game against his former team.

"We've always kind of been in touch, a little bit more I'd say the last year or so," Rodgers said during a session with reporters that was dominated by questions about his former coach.

"I think as time goes by, the gratitude for that time as you look back on the journey of your career goes up a little bit. I appreciate the little things a little bit more because really this game and life is about the journey. I'll always be tied with him because of the connection that we had and the years we spent together. Obviously my longest-tenured coach, my longest-tenured play-caller. I'm thankful for those years and thankful maybe a little bit more now as the years go by."

"It's probably normal in any relationship you have, when you're able to take time away and you have that separation, it's natural to look back and have a greater sense of appreciation and gratitude and thankfulness for that time," Rodgers said.

"I think it's normal to be able to think about the things you really loved about that relationship, that style or that program and just contemplate on how special some of those moments were, how the journey is really the most important thing and the ups and downs. I'm thankful for the incredible moments, the highs we had, and there were many of them, and even for the low moments too because it gives you perspective on life. Life is not all about the beautiful ups. It's the downs that you learn the most lessons in."

Rodgers said Tuesday on "The Pat McAfee Show" that he hopes the reception from the crowd at Lambeau Field is "as warm as it needs to be."

He also said he saw McCarthy get choked up at his news conference on Monday when he talked about Green Bay.

"Mike's Pittsburgh toughness and grit on the outside and a big soft teddy bear on the inside," Rodgers said. "I think that's a great combination to have. There were definitely some tears over the years, both in team settings and also in one-on-one settings. Him and I definitely shed some tears over the years together in conversations, usually happy tears I would say. But yeah, Mike's a big-hearted guy, and I like to see him let the emotions come out."

• Upvote 3

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

McCarthy is plenty good enough to take the sh*t Carolina job that no one will want and collect that last HC payday.

Belichick to Dallas….

Belichick is a favorite for the Washington job, fwiw. Atlanta might also take a run at him. Arthur Blank has allegedly been sniffing around other head coaching prospects already.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Belichick is a favorite for the Washington job, fwiw. Atlanta might also take a run at him. Arthur Blank has allegedly been sniffing around other head coaching prospects already.

@Warfish If this happens you and I need to form a collective of some sort and spread the gospel of scumbaggery to the Commanders faithful here. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

This is the most exciting time of the year :) (for Jets fans)

We're very lucky to be the offseason champs every year!

High draft picks, free agency, constant turnover in the front office... year round drama.

Actually winning games makes for boring winter, spring, and summers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Think Cowboys will blow things up when they drop their 1st home playoff game in a few weeks, probably to a pissed off Lions team. 

Woody Johnson does not hire experienced coaches. He's cheap about that. There's been any number of occasions he could have made a splash; Gruden, Cowher, Pederson et al somehow never even get interviewed here. May be because they know Johnson is an imbecile. Instead the Johnsons at every 2 or 3 year interval tells you at the press conference when the new HC is introduced how Coach X mentioned toughness and had a great interview.

There is absolutely nothing in this ownership's past that makes McCarthy even the remotest of possibilities. Johnson is incapable of being embarrassed; this is going to be what, 13 years without a playoff berth, much less a division championship. Haven't had a home playoff game in forever. Think of the math of the depth of this failure; there's only 4 teams in the AFCE and the Jets haven't lucked into a division title in a generation, and in a conference of 16 teams, failed to make it in this era when 6 and then 7 teams get in. 

52 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Now that I like. Blowing things up wouldn’t be completely blowing things up with McCarthy already in the building. 

29 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

If we are offseason champs every year and the offseason is longer than the actual season…

…then that means we are champs for most of the year every year. We have a dynasty like none has seen before.

I'm a huge Blackhawks fan.  They won before I was born and most of my life was near misses while their rivals were wining it all.  Then they fell into the depths of hell for about 12 years.  

Very similar to the current Jets.  

A miracle happened (owner died and there were radical changes in the way the team was ran) and we suddenly won three cups.  I actually wept when they won.  Like the birth of my kids.  

The team got old, fell off, and I was less interested.  I actually didn't watch every game.  Stopped following the draft and free agency.  I stepped away from the game almost completely for a few seasons. 

Two years ago they started selling off their vets and beginning the long rebuild and suddenly I'm back into it.  Winning Bedard helps, but their farm is stacked with prospects again.

It's exciting.

I'm not sure exactly what point I'm trying to make, but I think if the Jets finally won it all we could all just say goodbye to this horrific investment of time and money.

It would be bad business for Max.  

I already don't watch NFL games that don't involve the Jets.  I know I would get the hell out of here.