Jets OL coach Keith Carter getting universally laughed at

19 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Carter is bad but really, it's not like any of the OL problems were new to this year. We've seen bad blocking and injuries with his predecessor. OTOH, Carter was part of the best years of Vrabel's tenure in TEN, so it's not like his OLs didn't hold up. They were consistently ranked in the top half of OLs each year. (FWIW, the Titans OL without Carter ranked poorly with the Jets at the bottom of the barrel with the Giants.)

There's really only one consistent factor in the OL over the past three seasons and that's Saleh. You have different OCs, different OLCs and different players across that time but the exact same problems over and over. The roster is certainly somewhat to blame, but then look at the OL players who left for other teams and they look better. Billy Turner looked serviceable in GB but not in NY. There's something more going on than just sketchy OL coaching or MetLife turf.

As much as I wanted Keith Carter gone - this is all fair. 

Of course, I wanted Saleh gone, as well :)

• Upvote 1

The offensive line coach isn’t making or breaking the Jets. I don’t blame the Jets for keeping him. Douglas/Saleh don’t have the chops to identify someone for next year anyways. Not every coach is going to have a camp counselor personality. I’d like to hear Duane Browns thoughts on Carter. You need some bad cops. Douglas has done a very bad job identifying the right personality types to begin with.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

If only Keith Carter sat down with Becton and said ‘when somebody is in front of you, you need to try and block them’, he would not have led the league in sacks given up

It’s not Carters fault Becton couldn’t remember the snap count. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, heymangold said:

one of the worst OLs in history and we're shocked the OL coach stinks.

the best thing Carter has done is get mekhi to leave (hopefully)

punt this franchise to the moon.

Agree it would be fair to mention in all this he isn't the one who drafted sh!tbag Bection. Mashtent AVT or pursue Brown, Tomlinson etc al.

7 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I don’t know how any fan here can root for this franchise. I’m finally at the point where I couldn’t care less about anything and if they happen to miraculously win, great but it’ll be short lived because there are serious flaws with this whole organization. Literally the worst team in sports. How the **** did it get this bad? It’s as if it was purposely driven into the ground the last 10 years. 

Exactly. An organization cannot **** up this bad even if they tried. They’re awful. Everything they do is absolutely terrible. The custodians suck, the food sucks, the stadium sucks, everything that is even remotely related to this team sucks. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

The offensive line coach isn’t making or breaking the Jets. I don’t blame the Jets for keeping him. Douglas/Saleh don’t have the chops to identify someone for next year anyways. Not every coach is going to have a camp counselor personality. I’d like to hear Duane Browns thoughts on Carter. You need some bad cops. Douglas has done a very bad job identifying the right personality types to begin with.

You supporting Keith Carter is so on brand. Love it. 

8 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

You supporting Keith Carter is so on brand. Love it. 

Can you unpack how the linemen are practiced too hard during the season when they aren’t wearing pads. Individuals/position groups are like 15 minutes of practice.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Rodgers and the whole world:  "I hate it when Tackles cut block."

Two of the first 4 plays of the jets year including the disastrous 4th play....tackles cut block.

But I thought Rodgers called the plays? I’m confused…

Normally I wouldn’t mind coaches getting on the players but the performance on the field has to be visible.  I don’t see where carters coaching did that.  Not so concerned coming from becton. He’s probably not going to consider the jets if Carter is still there.  Hall should really not say much.

8 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

I don't care about Carter at all nor if they decided to fire him, considering at this point it's simply rearranging chairs on the titanic. However, there are amazingly stupid mental gymnastics some start going through around here the moment they are back to being pissed at this team. Let's recap:

1. Carter proves that Vrabel is amazing and Saleh sucks. Never mind that Vrabel hired Carter in his first year, and kept him for 5 years, after Carter had already been coaching for years before that, so was a known quantity.

2. Saleh is bad for being nice to players. Carter is bad for not being nice to players.

3. Carter is to blame for 1 year of a poorly performing, injury prone OL. Disregard the fact that this was all a constant for the preceding 4 years on JD's watch without Carter.

4. After endlessly mocking Becton for what a lazy, fat, useless tub of crap he was, we now suddenly highly value his opinions of the position coach who actually got him to play for the first time in 3 years.

Did I miss anything?

Yes, Carter is also the run game coordinator, which was non existent for the first 15 weeks of the year. Exception being the Denver game.

11 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

Yes, Carter is also the run game coordinator, which was non existent for the first 15 weeks of the year. Exception being the Denver game.

Coincidentally the Jets could run the ball once Richie Rich was finally gone.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

This is a bad look for us, organizationally.

Ya think... think about what a culture JD and RS have created when you have players opening critizing coaches.... what a cluster **** this regime is.  If these guys served with some of the guys I served with, they would have been taken out in the jungle and disposed of, just saying. 

9 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

I don't care about Carter at all nor if they decided to fire him, considering at this point it's simply rearranging chairs on the titanic. However, there are amazingly stupid mental gymnastics some start going through around here the moment they are back to being pissed at this team. Let's recap:

1. Carter proves that Vrabel is amazing and Saleh sucks. Never mind that Vrabel hired Carter in his first year, and kept him for 5 years, after Carter had already been coaching for years before that, so was a known quantity.

2. Saleh is bad for being nice to players. Carter is bad for not being nice to players.

3. Carter is to blame for 1 year of a poorly performing, injury prone OL. Disregard the fact that this was all a constant for the preceding 4 years on JD's watch without Carter.

4. After endlessly mocking Becton for what a lazy, fat, useless tub of crap he was, we now suddenly highly value his opinions of the position coach who actually got him to play for the first time in 3 years.

Did I miss anything?

Yes the OL was the worst in the league.... since you asked. 

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Lewan’s major complaint about Carter was that he drove his OL so hard in practice that it caused that Tennessee OL to break down every year. I’m not sure that’s what occurred here, but obviously the Jets OL went to hell injury-wise, and Becton looked like a shell of himself at the end of the year. Conservatively, the Jets are going to need to sign two free agent OL this offseason, and they’ll be doing so with an OL coach who’s loathed by veterans and a turf field notorious to snapping tendons. Saleh is going to keep his buddy Carter because Carter got low-end fringe players like Jake Hanson up to speed at the end of the year while ignoring the fact that his big-ticket veterans all seem to hate him. 

Mekhi Becton 

Let it sink in

Look at the bold, look at the name...

Are those two things that go hand in hand?

11 minutes ago, hawk said:

Mekhi Becton 

Let it sink in

Look at the bold, look at the name...

Are those two things that go hand in hand?

Becton is a huge puss. Here is Lewan’s criticism of Carter:

Keith and I have had a very up-and-down relationship, and I think it’s ended at a much higher point,” Lewan said. “Like when Keith first got there, the way he came in and the way he was trying to act towards everybody, like very disrespectful, very authoritative, but in a very like dictatorship-type of way. Keith grew every single year, and he did [have] impossible standards. … Sometimes you’d just want a pat on the back and you’d never really get that.”

But Lewan also seemed to insinuate that some of those injuries may have been self-inflicted due to the taxing nature of Carter’s vigorous practices.

“I just wish he focused a little bit more on taking care of the older players,” Lewan said. “I think Ben got a little more of that toward the end, and I kind of did this year. But those practices are hard and they wear on your body and they wear your tires out really fast, and [Carter] could see it toward the end of the season sometimes.”

Carter had served as the Titans offensive line coach since 2018. His lines were known for their strong run blocking ability, paving the way for three 1,000-yard seasons and one 2,000-yard rushing season for Derrick Henry.

However, the Titans struggled in pass protection, allowing 47 or more sacks in four of Carter’s five seasons.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Keith and I have had a very up-and-down relationship, and I think it’s ended at a much higher point,” Lewan said. “Like when Keith first got there, the way he came in and the way he was trying to act towards everybody, like very disrespectful, very authoritative, but in a very like dictatorship-type of way. Keith grew every single year, and he did [have] impossible standards. … Sometimes you’d just want a pat on the back and you’d never really get that.”

But Lewan also seemed to insinuate that some of those injuries may have been self-inflicted due to the taxing nature of Carter’s vigorous practices.

“I just wish he focused a little bit more on taking care of the older players,” Lewan said. “I think Ben got a little more of that toward the end, and I kind of did this year. But those practices are hard and they wear on your body and they wear your tires out really fast, and [Carter] could see it toward the end of the season sometimes.”

Carter had served as the Titans offensive line coach since 2018. His lines were known for their strong run blocking ability, paving the way for three 1,000-yard seasons and one 2,000-yard rushing season for Derrick Henry.

However, the Titans struggled in pass protection, allowing 47 or more sacks in four of Carter’s five seasons.

I still don’t understand the vigorous practices. It’s impossible to have a vigorous practice in todays NFL.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

I still don’t understand the vigorous practices. It’s impossible to have a vigorous practice in todays NFL.

I don’t get it either. Maybe training camp and whatnot? It just sounds like Carter is a hardo that veterans don’t want to deal with. 

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I was just piling on Becton.  I thought he had a pretty solid year, and yes, it did seem the wheels came off toward the end.  

The offensive line was putrid most of the year, more so due to continuity with the injuries than coaching, in my opinion.

I was also told that Saleh was soft on players, but this sentiment kinda contradicts that.  The position coaches coach the players.

Long story short, improvement needs to be made, and the players hopefully will stay healthy, no matter who they may be come September.

That said, Taylor Lewan may be a little bit of a puss also, or a sense of privelage, or something.  I have no idea who he is, so that is just a take from this exerpt.