55 Years Ago Today

59 minutes ago, peebag said:

My one wish in life is to go back in time and beat the crap out 7 year old me and make damn sure the Jets were off the table.

9 year old me.

Dad was laying on the floor in front of the tv drinking martinis and eating hershey's kisses.

2 hours ago, peebag said:

My one wish in life is to go back in time and beat the crap out 7 year old me and make damn sure the Jets were off the table.

Funny. My same thought about the 10 year old me.

3 hours ago, Alworth said:

I later found out that it was also the day that Led Zeppelin I was released, which for me was another major life event.

Led Zeppelin I was released the same day the Jets won the SB?!?!

George Harrison's reaction to the band that was about to unseat The Beatles: "Is lunch ready?"

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I stopped caring about SB3 about 10 years ago. It's just... embarrassing and pathetic now.

Sue me.

I wasn’t even a thought when it happened but, yeah, same.  I don’t care to watch the re-runs anymore.  The documentaries.  None of it.

This season was really sobering.  The Jets aren’t winning anything of significance with Rodgers and I, at 30 years old, have accepted that I will probably die before I witness a Jets Super Bowl victory with my own two eyes.

Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy being a season ticket holder.  It’s great creating memories and it can be fun when they win.  That being said, it’s painfully clear that this franchise will never reach the pinnacle of the league ever again.  Not in my lifetime at least.  That’s a bummer.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I wasn’t even a thought when it happened but, yeah, same.  I don’t care to watch the re-runs anymore.  The documentaries.  None of it.

This season was really sobering.  The Jets aren’t winning anything of significance with Rodgers and I, at 30 years old, have accepted that I will probably die before I witness a Jets Super Bowl victory with my own two eyes.

Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy being a season ticket holder.  It’s great creating memories and it can be fun when they win.  That being said, it’s painfully clear that this franchise will never reach the pinnacle of the league ever again.  Not in my lifetime at least.  That’s a bummer.

Who cares about this team winning. Just enjoy it the best you can. They are in Knicks territory for me now. I ONLY follow this team through this board and because I hate all sports so I need 1 guilty pleasure (pleasure, did I really just say that). This board keeps my Jet fandom on life support but it works. What’s odd is how much I openly hate this organization but still follow it because there’s literally nothing else sports wise for me. It’s this garbage or nothing. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, jago said:

It may have been noted elsewhere here

but I’m pretty sure a Lions/Browns Super Bowl will relegate us to the longest stretch without an appearance at the big show.

That's wild.  Obviously there are still teams that have never made it but I'm sure the point is that maybe they weren't in the league in 1969.  I would think there are teams that have made it once but haven't won.  Atlanta comes to mind.  And heck, the Bills and Vikings are both 0-4.  I'd rather be 1-0 than 0-4.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Serious question - I was alive for SBIII.  It is a part of me.  I'm stuck with it.  For a guy your age, with most of your life ahead, if this is how you see it, why stick around?  I have a daughter a bit older than you also a big fan and I've been trying to get her to move on.  I'm not sure what makes you two want to keep riding a known clown mobile that will dig you into the pits of misery like it has done to so many of us graybeards.

5 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Serious question - I was alive for SBIII.  It is a part of me.  I'm stuck with it.  For a guy your age, with most of your life ahead, if this is how you see it, why stick around?  I have a daughter a bit older than you also a big fan and I've been trying to get her to move on.  I'm not sure what makes you two want to keep riding a known clown mobile that will dig you into the pits of misery like it has done to so many of us graybeards.

Maaan, lol, the serious answer is “I have no idea.”

I’ve tried.  I just can’t do it.  I love the sport.  I love the memories I have with my dad pertaining to the Jets.  I love making the new memories with my fiancée.   That being said, I’m also realistic.  We’ll probably find ourselves in the playoffs every now and then…but that Super Bowl victory that we so desperately desire?  Nah.  Not happening anytime remotely soon.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I stopped caring about SB3 about 10 years ago. It's just... embarrassing and pathetic now.

Sue me.

I agree with you.  Even though I am old enough to remember watching the game, it is just a sad reminder of how long it has been.  I really want to be able to celebrate some great Jet moments with my son and now his son too in the not too distant future.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I’ve tried.  I just can’t do it.  I love the sport.  I love the memories I have with my dad pertaining to the Jets.  I love making the new memories with my fiancée.   That being said, I’m also realistic.  We’ll probably find ourselves in the playoffs every now and then…but that Super Bowl victory that we so desperately desire?  Nah.  Not happening anytime remotely soon.

True fans don't pick a team.  The team picks you. And once that happens there is no changing.  You can't just decide to stop caring.

• Upvote 2

Oh the suffering you have endured My heart breaks for you.

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Hang in there and good luck.  I can tell you if you do ever get to experience one, it'll never leave you...  

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Lith said:

True fans don't pick a team.  The team picks you. And once that happens there is no changing.  You can't just decide to stop caring.

Pretty much nails it Lith, lol.

I’ll be there rain or friggin’ shine next year screaming my head off and wallowing in misery or teeming with happiness based on every single game, regardless of how I feel about the future.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1