Could Quincy Replace CJ Mosley?

Q Jr. just got a new contract, Cutting Mosley saves $17m in Cap space.

Q has been in the huddles with CJ for 3 years now… he’s similar in size, faster and covers better. Can he be the general of the defense?

Can Surratt, Sherwood or Barnes take over for Q while providing good play? 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

They both play pretty good together. This team needs veteran leaders im sure he will restructure. 

Also, Quincy probably has the freedom to do his thing because of CJ. Happy New Year brother, hope 24 will be your best one ever. You deserve it.🙏

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Barton said:

He's the brains of the defense to some degree though.

And Quincy is not replacing him. Different position and also doesnt have Mosleys football IQ. 

Unfortunately, CJ is lacking the on-field talent aspect, a relatively meaningful part of football.  It's not exactly a coincidence that the D's weakness tended to be where he played in the middle of field.

It certainly doesn't have to be Quincy, as probably not the wisest decision to move positions of a guy who just had his breakout year in his 5th season, but there's no doubt CJ and his illustrious IQ could be replaced at a fraction of the price.

When was CJ's last impact play?  Im not even talking about a pick six - but how about a timely sack or tackle for loss?

In the 3 seasons where he played in full he as 3.5 sacks and 2 picks - that is terrible. 

For comparison Patick Queen in his 4 seasons with the Ravens has 13.5 sacks and 4 picks. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BCJet said:

When was CJ's last impact play?  Im not even talking about a pick six - but how about a timely sack or tackle for loss?

In the 3 seasons where he played in full he as 3.5 sacks and 2 picks - that is terrible. 

For comparison Patick Queen in his 4 seasons with the Ravens has 13.5 sacks and 4 picks. 

its our scheme. we dont rush LBs so he isnt going to get sacks. Quincy has 2 sacks this year. and since he doesnt rush he wont get to many TFL.

Quincy gets alot of TFL but its easier for an OLB to get through on sweep runs then a MLB.

we dont blitz. thats why we rotate the DL to keep them fresh. CJ plays a traditional MLB in this scheme.

now if you want to compare Tackles per year CJ blows Queen away.

honestly looking at CJs numbers in Baltimore, he never was a sack guy. not what he does.

We shouldn’t look to restructure CJ Mosley at his age. While he’s a good player and a leader, he makes too much for a non-premium position. His spot on this team while valuable doesn’t move the needle between wins and losses.

If we want to rebuild this OL + WR corps we are going to have to make some cuts / trades that we’re not going to like but will ultimately be necessary.

Mosley should be a goner.

• Upvote 2

On 1/13/2024 at 10:49 AM, Beerfish said:

Mosley would be replaced and forgotten in about 3 weeks.  ILBs that make a bunch of tackles are the easiest things to find in this league.

He wont be going anywhere because what our precious defense wants it gets but he should be cut and that money should be spent on the offense.

True but how many of them also drop about 15 easy INTs a year?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BCJet said:

The team stinks against the run.  The run is the principle responsibility of the middle linebacker.  CJ is always late when the opponent opens up a big hole in the running game.  Number of tackles is a nice stats.  How many are for a loss or did he jump in a hole to avoid a big gain, or make a big stop at the goal line?

Quincy is a ballistic missile.  Mosely make so many tackles after 5 yards or more gain.  Remember he has Quinnen in front of him so it's not like he is not protected.

• Upvote 1

I'm fine keeping Mosley (Don't tell @Sperm Edwards) if he restructures his contract. He's clearly a leader on the team and has more brains than some of the other linebackers, which in my book makes up for his lack of speed or strength. I wouldn't trust him to make his current contract worth it, though. If he wants to keep it the way it is he can go hook up with Carolina or something.

• Thumb Down 1

I believe the guaranteed part of his contract is over and negotiations may already have begun. He is a respected leader who was overpaid by the previous GM but has renegotiated at least once. The numbers and how much both sides want to work it out will determine what happens. What I think or want will not matter.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 1/13/2024 at 10:25 AM, 32EBoozer said:

Q has been in the huddles with CJ for 3 years now… he’s similar in size, faster and covers better. Can he be the general of the defense?

It saves 11 million with 10 million in dead cap space

https://overthecap.com/calculator/new-york-jets

I've been of the opinion lately we should move on from CJ.  Bring in someone young with speed and a non-stop motor.  There are a bunch of kids slated to go in the 3rd or 4th that fit this description.  You then save enough money to bring Huff back if you wish.  

I know he's a leader and one of the few guys with mileage on that D that players can look up to, but IMO Quincy has surpassed him as the defacto leader of the defense.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I don’t think so!

image.thumb.png.1980fd56fa8cdbb7d2a56ebde04fef2d.png

That's if you cut him after 6/1, when most of the big free agents have signed. 

If you cut him before 6/1 (when you can be more active in FA) it looks like this. 

Screenshot2024-01-14at8_49_38PM.thumb.png.413c4bab002252eada5cba4e83c19978.png

Maybe we should finally trust in our ability to find talent at LB.  Watching guys like Cashman and Luvu have big success after leaving.  We did it with Quincy, picking him up off the scrap heap.  Obviously Barnes still needs some seasoning but would it surprise anyone to see Surratt go somewhere else and become a player?  

3 hours ago, Hex said:

I'm fine keeping Mosley (Don't tell @Sperm Edwards) if he restructures his contract. He's clearly a leader on the team and has more brains than some of the other linebackers, which in my book makes up for his lack of speed or strength. I wouldn't trust him to make his current contract worth it, though. If he wants to keep it the way it is he can go hook up with Carolina or something.

He sucks

• Haha 1

On 1/13/2024 at 4:25 PM, 32EBoozer said:

BB47F47C-66B2-47CF-9967-CE3F1D21231C.thumb.jpeg.f3272fc1868439c01ed68f1534289e62.jpeg

On 1/13/2024 at 10:28 AM, joewilly12 said:

They both play pretty good together. This team needs veteran leaders im sure he will restructure. 

I'm sure he will be willing to restructure.  My problem with Mosley is that he has lost a step.  Watch some of the game film and there are more times than not that he got beat just because of speed.  Great Leader/Locker room guy and he is consistently all over the field, but without a restructure - I would drop him like he's hot.

And for those of us that remember resigning an older player because we have emotional ties to them Like Marvin Jones and Mo Lewis we kept them a little too long and their decline came quick.  James Farrior had to go and went on to have a productive career with Pitt. They released him as his skills diminished.

• Upvote 1

Obviously the decision making for 2023 was terrible and was focused on keeping together a team that would compete for the SB.  Obviously not the correct assumption even if AR8 was playing.  

The Jets/JD cannot be extorted to overpay players.  The logical answer for Mosely, LT and JFM is to thank them for their service and offer them spots on the team at their market prices.   They made alot of money playing for the Jets, and now it is time for them to show they want to be here.  Maybe Market Price + $1million.

So whereas last year the restructures we basically pushing forward guaranteed money whereby the player does not make less money, this year players need to be "marked to market."   We can debate endlessly as to whether to keep these guys or not.  Some say yes, some say no.  

So I offer a compromise-at least Mosley and LT can stay, so long as they play for market price, plus $1 million.  Not deferrals-less money.  If they don't want to take that fair deal, they can do, and the Jets can figure it out without them (but with more money and cap space). 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

And for those of us that remember resigning an older player because we have emotional ties to them Like Marvin Jones and Mo Lewis we kept them a little too long and their decline came quick.  James Farrior had to go and went on to have a productive career with Pitt. They released him as his skills diminished.

I was just about to say that. You’re better off moving on from a ILB a year early then a year too late

• Upvote 1