Fact: no one trusts this regime

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This regime started to build a good team but then panicked at the first sign of real adversity (Zach Wilson Bombing) and this past off season they made every single terrible move you could make so yes I agree, I do not trust them at all.

I half agree, except they (or more specifically, JD) never really built much of anything.

The supposed success was first baseless conjecture that started before he actually did anything at all.  Then later, it was talking about the unmerited home-run hits he was getting applauded for that included names like Becton, Mims, and Moore.

Wilson was just the one that finally turned the spotlight onto the overall mess that this team was, with him just being the worst of a bad bunch, which is exactly why JD went into full on panic mode last offseason to try to save his own ass for all of it.  It was clear even at the time, that the strategy was deliberately designed to handcuff this team to him for at least two years, and that's pretty much the only reason he still has a job.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Jermaine johsnon, DJ Reed, Quincy williams, Sauce, Garret Wilson, Breece hall.

They added a lot of talent and if managed properly and another draft or two and the team would look ready to add a QB and contend. 

They totally panicked and threw it all away with the rodgers move.

So they’d look ready to contend and to finally add a QB in another year or two if they just kept drafting? Geesh. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

This regime started to build a good team but then panicked at the first sign of real adversity (Zach Wilson Bombing) and this past off season they made every single terrible move you could make so yes I agree, I do not trust them at all.

The above post gets to the heart of the matter. Two things can be true at the same time; (1)  JD is competent but (2) amateurishly turned to a quick fix with the acquisition of AR and kept doubling down on it with non-percentage moves. We will likely never know the degree to which the impatience was his or came from above. All I know is  that the turn of events is as discouraging as anything I've experienced as I move well into my seventh decade of being a diehard,

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

They added a lot of talent and if managed properly and another draft or two and the team would look ready to add a QB and contend. 

That's not a lot, considering that's all the hits he's had over 5 years on the job.  It's almost entirely high picks in only one draft, and mostly at positions JD has repeatedly poured excessive resources, just in order to get that.  Everything both before and after that has suggested it was an outlier.

Even JJ has gotten overhyped around here this year.  While I do like him, he's hardly proven himself to be a major hit yet.  We've gone through this many times before with grading young players on curves, much like those other names I mentioned.  However, if what we saw this year is his peak and he's continually a 7.5 sack per year guy, that's not exactly qualifying as a GM's career highlight for a first-rounder, particularly when continually failing throughout mid/late rounds and FAs.  After all, Maccagnan 3rd-rounder Jordan Jenkins pulled that off a couple of times in fewer games, so there still needs to be more.

JD has sucked through the overwhelming majority of his tenure here, having his name on the single worst pick, and two of the worst drafts, this team has seen in a long time.  Sure he's had a few moves that weren't complete outright failures, but Maccagnan could point to the likes of Quinnen, LW, Cashman, Fatukasi, Maye, and fan-favorite Adams, all of whom are still starting in the league (despite our thoughts on some).  Not even considering if you want to be throwing in FAs, then the likes of Fitz, Decker, Marshall, Crowder, Beachum, and even old-man Forte were actually better than JD's equivalent attempts of Flacco (or Rodgers, it's your choice), Lazard, Davis, Perriman, Brown, and older-man Gore.  That's not even to mention Mac's signing of JD-favorite CJ Mosley, who the competent unit of this team supposedly cannot live without.  None of that made MM at all good at his job, but it's no different than cherry-picking the similarly few non-failures over JD's time.

JD didn't panic last year solely because of Wilson.  He panicked because he continually showed himself to simply be a balder, fatter version of his predecessor at the job.  Plus, it turns out, an unmatched coward when it comes to any accountability.  It's why he very deliberately, and pretty much admittedly, designed this team to be locked into his setup for at least two years with no available outs.  While he shouldn't have done that, in the interest of the team, if he didn't then this roster would still suck and he'd instead be out of a job.

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

Watching teams like green Bay, Houston and Detroit turn it around is tough to swallow 

Everyone down at 1jd should have been fired twice by now

When I say there’s zero self reflection going on at 1 Jets drive I really mean there’s zero self reflection. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Agreed, they could have gone out and gotten a guy to compete with Wilson but they did the stupid thing...

• Upvote 2

It just illustrates the importance of not blowing the QB pick in the first round. By drafting a bust with the 2nd pick in the 2021 draft, a whole chain of events kicked in including trading for Aaron Rodgers and virtually giving up their soul for it out of desperation for a QB.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Is it just me or do like half the threads getting started the last couple weeks read like random thoughts by prepubescent twitch addicts.

I wouldn't assume Testosterone and pubic hair would upgrade the threads?

1 hour ago, ACourseinMiracles said:

Are you sure?

Seems to me this place has been pretty supportive of this regime. I can't really recall any threads being critical of them or calling for firings over the past year. Strange.

Satire is a delicate nuance. You nailed it.

• Sympathy 1

to do much right. 

I don’t agree that no-one trusts this regime although from reading most of the posts on this site and others I can see why people would think that. I for one see improvement in this team, they have greatly improved the defense but completely missed on a high draft pick qb either from overdrafting or poor training and preparation. If someone is being fed the same re-hashed ideas over and over again they can’t help but have it affect their thinking. I believe it starts with all the media/sports talk radio, by design the people who are most outspoken and outrageous get the air time. That negativity spreads. Mgmt has made some mistakes and done some good work and time will tell how they make out. Constantly changing regimes doesn’t improve the team as a whole and good people end up not wanting to work there . Because of the constant turnover of the Jets front office Chris Johnson had to give JD a longer contract than normal and a promise of autonomy to drag him away from his last job with a stable well run organization. Not long after that one of the negative people in the media gets caught stalking his son. Welcome to the NY media. I have hope we can become one of those stable well run organizations 🤷‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

10 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

That's not a lot, considering that's all the hits he's had over 5 years on the job.  It's almost entirely high picks in only one draft, and mostly at positions JD has repeatedly poured excessive resources, just in order to get that.  Everything both before and after that has suggested it was an outlier.

Even JJ has gotten overhyped around here this year.  While I do like him, he's hardly proven himself to be a major hit yet.  We've gone through this many times before with grading young players on curves, much like those other names I mentioned.  However, if what we saw this year is his peak and he's continually a 7.5 sack per year guy, that's not exactly qualifying as a GM's career highlight for a first-rounder, particularly when continually failing throughout mid/late rounds and FAs.  After all, Maccagnan 3rd-rounder Jordan Jenkins pulled that off a couple of times in fewer games, so there still needs to be more.

JD has sucked through the overwhelming majority of his tenure here, having his name on the single worst pick, and two of the worst drafts, this team has seen in a long time.  Sure he's had a few moves that weren't complete outright failures, but Maccagnan could point to the likes of Quinnen, LW, Cashman, Fatukasi, Maye, and fan-favorite Adams, all of whom are still starting in the league (despite our thoughts on some).  Not even considering if you want to be throwing in FAs, then the likes of Fitz, Decker, Marshall, Crowder, Beachum, and even old-man Forte were actually better than JD's equivalent attempts of Flacco (or Rodgers, it's your choice), Lazard, Davis, Perriman, Brown, and older-man Gore.  That's not even to mention Mac's signing of JD-favorite CJ Mosley, who the competent unit of this team supposedly cannot live without.  None of that made MM at all good at his job, but it's no different than cherry-picking the similarly few non-failures over JD's time.

JD didn't panic last year solely because of Wilson.  He panicked because he continually showed himself to simply be a balder, fatter version of his predecessor at the job.  Plus, it turns out, an unmatched coward when it comes to any accountability.  It's why he very deliberately, and pretty much admittedly, designed this team to be locked into his setup for at least two years with no available outs.  While he shouldn't have done that, in the interest of the team, if he didn't then this roster would still suck and he'd instead be out of a job.

lol Christ.  Do you not remember how bad this team was at drafting for like...10 years straight?  2008 to 2018 was a highlight reel of terrible drafting.  "Two of the worst drafts this team has seen in a long time".  The hyperbole around here sometimes amazes me.  

2018:  Sam Darnold, Nathan Shepard(an OK depth player I guess)

2016:  Darron Lee, Christian Hackenberg

2014:  Calvin Pryor, Jace Amaro

2013:  Quinton Coples, Stephen Hill (the one bright spot being Demario Davis who we let go of, naturally)

2012:  Kyle Wilson, Vlad Ducasse

You could even list 2015 in there considering LW was a flop for us, and it wasn't until after he left that he became a PBer.  The rest of that 2015 draft was hideous.  

For as bad as Becton was this year, and the fact he missed two straight seasons, he's still been a bigger contributor than anyone listed above, outside of MAYBE Darnold.  Even his rookie year alone guaranteed that.  He's obviously been a level above some of our classic busts like Lee, Milliner, Coples, Gholston.  Plus that draft had guys like Davis and Hall who have become solid contributors for us.  Again, not a "boon" by any means, but far from the worst draft.  2021 might be considered a failure overall because of Zach, but in reality it was a pretty good draft for this regime.  AVT, Moore, Carter(DB), Pinnock, Echols.  To call these two of the worst drafts of recent memory just tells me you have no memory.  He's also had one of, if not THE best Jets draft in history in 2022.  Surely that counts for something.  

I'm not going to sit here and say JD is a good GM, or we'll win anything with him at the helm, but facts are facts.  This team has more talent with him running things than they've had since the AFC Championship days.  Potentially even moreso.  Who knows how those Jets teams would have faired with a washed Mark Brunnell or Kellen Clemens being relied upon to win us games.  JD got cocky and thought he could win games while salvaging Zach.  He wanted to have his cake and eat it too(it's funny cause he's fat, right?).  Rodgers got hurt and it blew up in his face.  I still want to see what this team can do with the guy they sold their left nut to get before I make up my mind on this regime.  

BTW, the fact you're downplaying how good JJ has looked tells me this is all bad faith anyway, so GOD SPEED SIR.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

lol Christ.  Do you not remember how bad this team was at drafting for like...10 years straight?  2008 to 2018 was a highlight reel of terrible drafting.  "Two of the worst drafts this team has seen in a long time".  The hyperbole around here sometimes amazes me.  

2018:  Sam Darnold, Nathan Shepard(an OK depth player I guess)

2016:  Darron Lee, Christian Hackenberg

2014:  Calvin Pryor, Jace Amaro

2013:  Quinton Coples, Stephen Hill (the one bright spot being Demario Davis who we let go of, naturally)

2012:  Kyle Wilson, Vlad Ducasse

You could even list 2015 in there considering LW was a flop for us, and it wasn't until after he left that he became a PBer.  The rest of that 2015 draft was hideous.  

For as bad as Becton was this year, and the fact he missed two straight seasons, he's still been a bigger contributor than anyone listed above, outside of MAYBE Darnold.  Even his rookie year alone guaranteed that.  He's obviously been a level above some of our classic busts like Lee, Milliner, Coples, Gholston.  Plus that draft had guys like Davis and Hall who have become solid contributors for us.  Again, not a "boon" by any means, but far from the worst draft.  2021 might be considered a failure overall because of Zach, but in reality it was a pretty good draft for this regime.  AVT, Moore, Carter(DB), Pinnock, Echols.  To call these two of the worst drafts of recent memory just tells me you have no memory.  He's also had one of, if not THE best Jets draft in history in 2022.  Surely that counts for something.  

I'm not going to sit here and say JD is a good GM, or we'll win anything with him at the helm, but facts are facts.  This team has more talent with him running things than they've had since the AFC Championship days.  Potentially even moreso.  Who knows how those Jets teams would have faired with a washed Mark Brunnell or Kellen Clemens being relied upon to win us games.  JD got cocky and thought he could win games while salvaging Zach.  He wanted to have his cake and eat it too(it's funny cause he's fat, right?).  Rodgers got hurt and it blew up in his face.  I still want to see what this team can do with the guy they sold their left nut to get before I make up my mind on this regime.  

BTW, the fact you're downplaying how good JJ has looked tells me this is all bad faith anyway, so GOD SPEED SIR.  

Pryor (38), Coples (32), and Lee (36) all started more Jets games under their rookie contracts than Becton (30), who got a bonus start this past season because of the newer 17-game seasons or his total would have been 29.

Davis has made a big improvement in a small role - some guys are just slow starters - but the truth is we wouldn't have even known about it if Chuck Clark didn't miss the whole season, and even with that was still primarily a special teams player. The last time he was a regular starter the Jets had the worst defense in the NFL. 

For all his versatility & talent, aside from injuries no one would've predicted, considering the circumstances to get him AVT was a stupid draft pick. Even while acknowledging he was a good prospect, plenty still hated it at the time because that draft class was loaded with OL talent - it was by far its deepest position group strength - and after a 2-win season Douglas traded a pair of day-2 picks to move up for a guard who - if he never got hurt and made the pro bowl even once, as hoped - plays a position that'd preclude using a $20MM 5th year option tag on him. In our original draft slot went borderline probowl (certainly solid enough) LT Darrisaw, even after passing on Sewell earlier in the round. As an indirect domino effect of trading up so high for a guard, interior OL then became a non-option at the top of round 2, and right after the Jets took Elijah Moore there the Eagles took Landon Dickerson, and after him the Chiefs took Creed Humphrey (whom @Beerfish & others here wanted even at #21 overall, so despite his unexpected fall was no great reach at #34). So the "pretty good" draft yielded AVT + Moore instead of Darrisaw + Dickerson/Humphrey + two 3rd round picks. It was a disastrous decision by the GM and screwed up the draft class even after and independent of the obvious/horrible whiff up top with Zach Wilson.

• Upvote 2