Poll: Sympathy Emoji- Should it be Removed?

Sympathy Emoji- Yeah or Neah?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Get Rid of it? In my opinion it’s similar to Saleh’s coaching style. Non-committal

• Yes- Take a side… up or downvote
    • No- I like wishy-washy

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/11/2024 at 09:54 PM

3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Hmm... well, when I let the board know in the Lounge that my Father had passed, a bunch of Thumbs ups and POTW emojis woulda been great.... 

Or when Max keeps us informed on his wifes care and recovery.... Yeah, maybe a "Puke", "WTF" or "bag on head" would suffice for that kind of thing??

Weird thread, weird thing to be worried about.

I know that most people would WRITE words of comfort... not give a sympathy emoji. I know that I actually expressed my condolences, along with dozens of other. A sympathy emoji seems "Dickish and emotionally removed".

• Haha 2

I think it was mentioned that there's a bug where a poster thinks they're clicking the green up arrow but it ends up being sympathy.  I think [mention=28731]Dunnie[/mention] is one.  Not sure what's going on with that.
I do think the sympathy type almost works in cases where there's some kind of sad event (e.g. Carl Weathers passing away) but it still seems odd to post to the OP about it since I'm assuming the OP isn't related and doesn't know him or his family personally.  I think we used to have a different emoji that seemed more appropriate but I can't remember what it was.  
I don't love the "More Ugh" icon btw.  I think a return of the Homer Simpson "D'oh" would be better.
And I'd still like to have a special icon (called "Legendary") that should be used infrequently where you vote on a post that you think is truly great.  At the end of the football year (in other words, after the Super Bowl), The Committee can vote on the best post of the year from amongst that list.  Maybe even have a gold/silver/bronze type thing.  Then [mention=5331]Maxman[/mention] can spring for some fancy gift for the winner.  Maybe one of those "QB buys gifts for the OL at the end of the season" type gifts, like a Rolex.  kidding
It's Tapatalk .. you only have one option 'Like' ... The site translates that as 'Sympathy'

I love all you guys

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

It's Tapatalk .. you only have one option 'Like' ... The site translates that as 'Sympathy'

That's why I just put Google Chrome on my phone and go to the website version through that. Most of the time it works just as well and I have a lot more capabilities.

• Upvote 1

This is a great forum but the sympathy emoji gets lost in the translation time and time again. Its very ambiguous when used by posters. It'd be fantastic to put in the slap to the face emoji.  This is New York, a city unlike any in the world. It's direct, no-nosense and leaves no  misinterpretation.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I personally can’t stand it. Certain posters use it as a passive-aggressive tool.

I expect several of them now, but let’s get rid of it.

19 hours ago, freestater said:

Sympathy pisses me off too

18 hours ago, doitny said:

i have no idea what it mean either.

if i say Zach Sucks and you give me sympathy is it because you agree and your in mourning with me that we have such a bad player on our team?

or 

do you feel bad for me cause you think my take is garbage? 

18 hours ago, PS17 said:

Yes. Only necessary buttons are upvote, downvote, laugh, and POTW.

18 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Hmm... well, when I let the board know in the Lounge that my Father had passed, a bunch of Thumbs ups and POTW emojis woulda been great.... 

Or when Max keeps us informed on his wifes care and recovery.... Yeah, maybe a "Puke", "WTF" or "bag on head" would suffice for that kind of thing??

Weird thread, weird thing to be worried about.

14 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I know that most people would WRITE words of comfort... not give a sympathy emoji. I know that I actually expressed my condolences, along with dozens of other. A sympathy emoji seems "Dickish and emotionally removed".

This is not really the case, though. A giant chunk of people do not necessarily write out words of comfort. Some do, some don't, especially when there's a new poster who doesn't really know everyone yet. The number of (non-sarcastic) "sympathy" emoji responses dwarfs the number of posts written out in longhand specifically because lots of people want to say something quickly & in the moment don't have the time or the right words. 

6 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

This is a great forum but the sympathy emoji gets lost in the translation time and time again. Its very ambiguous when used by posters. It'd be fantastic to put in the slap to the face emoji.  This is New York, a city unlike any in the world. It's direct, no-nosense and leaves no  misinterpretation.

It was put there because people like to use something other than a thumbs-up emoji when someone describes a personal hardship. A sad face seemed a bit strong, and often misplaced, so we went with something a bit more vague to give it more uses.

The word "sympathy" as a label was just an attempt to communicate this as briefly as possible, as opposed to the label being, "I'd like to use this emoji to show support to convey how sorry I feel for the unpleasantness you're dealing with at this time." Thus the label "sympathy" seemed more succinct, but I do admit brevity is not my strong suit so I'm happy to defer to the group for a better one.

I'm happy to swap it out if it's just being used sarcastically, but sarcasm will not end on a football message board because of an emoji being present or absent. It may even escalate to nastiness once this option for sarcastic brevity is removed -- law of unintended consequences & all that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

17 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think it was mentioned that there's a bug where a poster thinks they're clicking the green up arrow but it ends up being sympathy.  I think @Dunnie is one.  Not sure what's going on with that.

I do think the sympathy type almost works in cases where there's some kind of sad event (e.g. Carl Weathers passing away) but it still seems odd to post to the OP about it since I'm assuming the OP isn't related and doesn't know him or his family personally.  I think we used to have a different emoji that seemed more appropriate but I can't remember what it was.  

I don't love the "More Ugh" icon btw.  I think a return of the Homer Simpson "D'oh" would be better.

And I'd still like to have a special icon (called "Legendary") that should be used infrequently where you vote on a post that you think is truly great.  At the end of the football year (in other words, after the Super Bowl), The Committee can vote on the best post of the year from amongst that list.  Maybe even have a gold/silver/bronze type thing.  Then @Maxman can spring for some fancy gift for the winner.  Maybe one of those "QB buys gifts for the OL at the end of the season" type gifts, like a Rolex.  kidding

17 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Didn't we once have the green up arrow but also a thumbs up.  It was completely nonsensical.  It's also odd that we have a green up arrow as well as a thumbs down.  Why not keep it consistent?  (e.g. up and down arrows or thumbs up and thumbs down)?  Though the inconsistency is kind of funny.

The greater confusion was when it was briefly changed to thumbs-up and thumbs-down because they looked so similar. It's been a while by now & I don't have it all committed to memory, but iirc a green thumbs-up was tried, to make it stand out, and it just looked stupid. You probably wouldn't have noticed because so few people thumbs-up your posts. I feel "sympathy" for you going through this.  :sad:

Leaving the green up-arrow, it was determined a counterpart red down-arrow looked too nasty (and often conveyed a stronger "boo!" than people intend), and there are enough here who take rep-responses way too seriously.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The greater confusion was when it was briefly changed to thumbs-up and thumbs-down because they looked so similar. It's been a while by now & I don't have it all committed to memory, but iirc a green thumbs-up was tried, to make it stand out, and it just looked stupid. You probably wouldn't have noticed because so few people thumbs-up your posts. I feel "sympathy" for you going through this.  :sad:

Leaving the green up-arrow, it was determined a counterpart red down-arrow looked too nasty (and often conveyed a stronger "boo!" than people intend), and there are enough here who take rep-responses way too seriously.

I feel like that should be reserved for when a forum poster has "an extraordinary ability to make plants grow well".  Tbh, I'm not sure how much that would apply to the types of things that go on here.

image.png.aab1d39653bf51a0be454b7dd53bcf21.png

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I love all you guys emoji1787.png

Well now.... that explains a lot! 

To all my other board members..... you once again have blown away my estimation of your "crumudgonliness" :) 

image.thumb.png.33140e9890c9af9ee5632fc971ff7099.png

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think it was mentioned that there's a bug where a poster thinks they're clicking the green up arrow but it ends up being sympathy.  I think @Dunnie is one.  Not sure what's going on with that.

And I'd still like to have a special icon (called "Legendary") that should be used infrequently where you vote on a post that you think is truly great.  At the end of the football year (in other words, after the Super Bowl), The Committee can vote on the best post of the year from amongst that list.  Maybe even have a gold/silver/bronze type thing.  Then @Maxman can spring for some fancy gift for the winner.  Maybe one of those "QB buys gifts for the OL at the end of the season" type gifts, like a Rolex.  kidding

i think you might be right on this thing with @Dunnie i just checked and it says i gave 712 sympathy votes. i hate using it a never do unless really called for like a personal tragedy or death. and i doubt there has been 712 of those in my 3 years here. 

i just seen @Dunnie post and thanks for clearing that up Dun, makes sense now. but im using my home computer. oh well....

Some emoji ideas.  Mostly joking though I think many of these would be hilarious.  The "JD can't watch anymore" one would be way better than "Ugh".  And I'd love a "receipt" icon.  The Will Smith/Chris Rock slap would be good for "Gotcha!"

-Saleh brushing his teeth

image.thumb.jpeg.b50c592dd2806ed90629f0de8a067d20.jpeg

-JD can't watch anymore!

image.jpeg.94d416579789c814f78048f83b05b1dc.jpeg

-Micheal Clemons threatening

image.thumb.jpeg.b20d3145f037932ef9fdac69d89a3ddb.jpeg

-Receipt

Receipts2.jpg.de780132434bbf42d5ffaf9ddce9bec6.jpg

-Some kind of Antonio Brown emoji:

image.png.69e9a996fa965204262d8351d2debf16.png

-Slap

image.thumb.jpeg.5a12a9955cd962877261fa8ed059b345.jpeg

-Belichick

image.jpeg.99027a01a35b85b7ff50b17be969c4a0.jpeg

-We're on to Cincinnati

Belichick-WereOnToCincinnati.png.86b1b0b1d8072ed6abcbdd30dedc6706.png

-Gase eyes

image.png.10da6388caddc0850ae46c3e22adb2c3.png

-Fan protest

image.png.056e60eb300b3e87d3a3644406d78f13.png

23 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Some emoji ideas.  Mostly joking though I think many of these would be hilarious.  The "JD can't watch anymore" one would be way better than "Ugh".  And I'd love a "receipt" icon.  The Will Smith/Chris Rock slap would be good for "Gotcha!"

-Saleh brushing his teeth

image.thumb.jpeg.b50c592dd2806ed90629f0de8a067d20.jpeg

-JD can't watch anymore!

image.jpeg.94d416579789c814f78048f83b05b1dc.jpeg

-Micheal Clemons threatening

image.thumb.jpeg.b20d3145f037932ef9fdac69d89a3ddb.jpeg

-Receipt

Receipts2.jpg.de780132434bbf42d5ffaf9ddce9bec6.jpg

-Some kind of Antonio Brown emoji:

image.png.69e9a996fa965204262d8351d2debf16.png

-Slap

image.thumb.jpeg.5a12a9955cd962877261fa8ed059b345.jpeg

-Belichick

image.jpeg.99027a01a35b85b7ff50b17be969c4a0.jpeg

-We're on to Cincinnati

Belichick-WereOnToCincinnati.png.86b1b0b1d8072ed6abcbdd30dedc6706.png

-Gase eyes

image.png.10da6388caddc0850ae46c3e22adb2c3.png

-Fan protest

image.png.056e60eb300b3e87d3a3644406d78f13.png

Phone Editing GIF by Detail Technologies

You need to "crop" these images to fit in the emoji bar.... good luck with that!!

image.thumb.png.7e93d0c1aed2c1734b4005cad68cdedb.png

• Haha 1

On 2/4/2024 at 12:02 PM, 32EBoozer said:

I personally can’t stand it. Certain posters use it as a passive-aggressive tool.

I expect several of them now, but let’s get rid of it.

I use it for two reasons:

1. To express actual sympathy

2. In-place of a "sorry for that" or similar type "we're with you" response.

Not sure how it could be used as a "passive-aggressive tool" in a negative way, but maybe I'm just not thinking broadly enough?

On 2/4/2024 at 4:47 PM, THE BARON said:

i cant vote unless some very important questions are answered first.

is it a gender neutral emoji ?

is it some form of toxic masculinity ?

is it xenophobic in any way ?

is it transphobic in any way ?

is there anything about this emoji that would trigger a sjw ? 

Default skin tone.

On 2/4/2024 at 7:41 PM, Dunnie said:

I love all you guys emoji1787.png

That's funny.  I actually asked one of the other posters why they kept giving me sympathy emojis and they explained that they saw it as sort of a mild like. I think when I got them from you I took it as a negative.

On 2/4/2024 at 5:50 PM, 32EBoozer said:

Sometimes you don't want to write your words of comfort.  If you are not ready, it is generally better not to write anything than to write something that comes across as dickish.  There are also times when the person going through it might have multiple posts in a thread and you want to show support, but it would seem assinine to reply to each one of them with canned "words of comfort" especially when for the most part you don't truly know them.

• Upvote 1

On 2/5/2024 at 8:11 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

Ultimately, there is but one thing for certain no matter what's used: there will be complaints. :) 

I lost a board seat to a guy with this kind of attitude.

* Again I am not saying that I lost a board seat to Sperm Edwards. I am just saying that the profile of their attitudes aligns.

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Default skin tone.

That's funny.  I actually asked one of the other posters why they kept giving me sympathy emojis and they explained that they saw it as sort of a mild like. I think when I got them from you I took it as an insult.

I am deeply sorry for the insensitive and inappropriate use of the sympathy emoji.  My actions were unacceptable and I take full responsibility.  I wish to announce to the group that I am now undergoing sensitivity training.  My ignorant an inexcusable behavior will not be repeated. 

• Haha 1