Woody Johnson Opens up on Frustrations With Jets Struggles

5 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Then why didn't this guy get on the intercom and demand Joe Douglas gets to his office STAT!? And why didn't Johnson DEMAND that Douglas GET a back up QB to NJ the next day after Rodger went down? Oh wait, I know why-it's because he's about as effective an owner as Merritt Garland is an AG-two milquetoasts if I ever saw them

CYA. Plus he sounded drunk in that interview.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Grandy said:

This is so embarrassing. They're really trying to make Zach the scapegoat? Great look once again.

3 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Woody overcompensating for the fact he drafted Zach and his been his biggest cheerleader last 3 years

This is reason #1999 why next season will ultimately fail

You don’t scapegoat people like this Jets regime always does, regardless of how bad they suck

you leave that for us fans to do

tooooo much bad karma these idiots have built up 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Then why didn't this guy get on the intercom and demand Joe Douglas gets to his office STAT!? And why didn't Johnson DEMAND that Douglas GET a back up QB to NJ the next day after Rodger went down? Oh wait, I know why-it's because he's about as effective an owner as Merritt Garland is an AG-two milquetoasts if I ever saw them

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

CYA. Plus he sounded drunk in that interview.

It’s all fan service spin. Let’s blame Zach Wilson and Rex Hogan—the two guys who are already out of the building. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, neckdemon said:

we werent getting more than like a 6th round pick for him either way. what woody says isn't gonna change that

At this point, after this just release him.

What team in their Right Mind is going to trade for him after these comments??? 

You don’t talk like this and expect a trade partner because no one believes you are going to keep Zach.  

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

More like blame Zach Wilson (100% correct) and serve notice to the guy who picked him (JD), and didn't sign a backup (JD) when Rodgers went down, that he's on the hot-seat for the final year of his contract.  

Lets be honest, there is nothing he could have said, apart from "I am selling the team" that would have placated us all right now.  He's a bad owner, whose made consistently bad decisions with his management structure, and management teams, and the results speak for themselves. 

He should hire a President of Operations to oversee the actual day to day of the team in his place, and let that guy start making the hiring/firing Owner-level decisions, and he can just be a fan.  The more layers between Woody and decision making that effects the product, the better IMO. 

I think too much is being read into the statement.  He said they didn’t have a backup qb.  This is true.  I believe the entire statement, if he had no filter, would have been, ‘we thought we had a decent backup qb but it turns out that we didn’t.’  I think woody thought wilson could be a backup qb.  Some here also thought so.  Maybe.  But in the end, woody is right, they had no backup qb.  He implied that he yelled at the gm and hc, ok, great.  I don’t know what the point of yelling at saleh is.  He is who he is, he can coach a defense and can win games if you give him a qb who doesn’t suck.  

Does this mean they’re going to throw a lot of money at a meh backup qb?  Quite possibly.  Does it mean they’re going to trade back and maybe take a qb on day 2.  Also a possibility.  

One thing we do know is that woody is influenced by the media and public perceptions of him and his staff.  So if he thinks they need another qb, that could mean they go overboard in getting more qbs. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, bicketybam said:

Everyone here blames Zach Wilson QB'ing the team as why I they only won 7 games this past season. Woody finally says it and he's a clown. This place is too much.

Because mostly everyone here knew he couldn’t play. The only report we got last year was that it was Woody who wanted him back. Wentz could have been signed for nothing. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Because mostly everyone here knew he couldn’t play. The only report we got last year was that it was Woody who wanted him back. Wentz could have been signed for nothing. 

We may never know.  Would be ironic if woody is screaming at douglas for keeping wilson when it was woody’s insistence that wilson remain with the team. 

10 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

"I'm not a playoff mandate guy"

We know. That's why we haven't made the playoffs for the longest time in all of major sports, you moron.

But have to do much better than 7 games, which is essentially saying enough games to make the playoffs.

I agree if they win 10 games and don't make the playoffs, then bad luck.  Still won 10 games.  

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

More like blame Zach Wilson (100% correct) and serve notice to the guy who picked him (JD), and didn't sign a backup (JD) when Rodgers went down, that he's on the hot-seat for the final year of his contract.  

Lets be honest, there is nothing he could have said, apart from "I am selling the team" that would have placated us all right now.  He's a bad owner, whose made consistently bad decisions with his management structure, and management teams, and the results speak for themselves. 

He should hire a President of Operations to oversee the actual day to day of the team in his place, and let that guy start making the hiring/firing Owner-level decisions, and he can just be a fan.  The more layers between Woody and decision making that effects the product, the better IMO. 

It’s not just woody and it’s not just the jets where the owner is playing real life madden, it’s becoming the trend: from Washington to NE even Philly.

You hear this term “collaborative” passed around a lot when all it means is that the owner or his kid is involved. 

From what I hear on both the Chargers and Eagles the owners kids are stearing the ship, Woody son will probably soon be making these decisions too 😂

• Upvote 1

What a moron. He's the owner. If the team didn't perform, why is he bringing everyone in the front office back?

Hey stupid, make FO changes! Or, better yet, sell the team to someone with a functional brain.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

In fairness he basically made a playoff mandate with his comments. 

It's about time....haven't made the playoffs since 2010 + haven't had a winning record since 2015. 

I just hope that a wild card birth and bounce isn't a barometer of "success." 10 wins and no playoff wins isn't successful.

45 minutes ago, AFJF said:

This would be fine if not for the range of talent levels a player may or may not have.  Some players are good and some are not very good at all.  Every player Aaron asked for was garbage.

You don't see a problem with that?

Except for Lazard, I don’t see where any of the players Rodgers wanted was expected to play a large role during the season.  Cobb and Turner were both back ups.  Cobb was reasonable if only because he knew Rodgers system.  Turner was a backup but had to thrust in as a starter when others were injured.  Cook?  I’m not sure how much influence Rodgers had.  I think cook chose the jets because of Rodgers and not the other way around.  Consider too, that at the time, hall was coming off a serious injury and wasn’t going to be used much early on.

• Upvote 1

So Woody says we need a OG and a couple of OTs (to go with AVT and Tippmann and his glorious head of hair) and a WR yet he's scapegoating ZW?!  And AVT was out most of last year too so he's admitting we only had 1 OL last year.

13 hours ago, Matt39 said:

My gut says things may have changed after the initial Russini report of Zach not wanting to play. And then pulling himself out of the Miami game and ghosting the team. 

How do people just upvote blatantly false posts that are easily disprovable. This board is becoming insufferable during the off-season. 

Zach can't pull himself from the game and place himself in concussion protocol. Your post essentially hangs on the conspiracy that Zach, the NFL and the seperate doctors that are in charge of concussion protocol, were all in cahoots to keep Zach in concussion protocol for the remainder of the year all so Zach didn't have to start at QB. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So Woody says we need a OG and a couple of OTs (to go with AVT and Tippmann and his glorious head of hair) and a WR yet he's scapegoating ZW?!  And AVT was out most of last year too so he's admitting we only had 1 OL last year.

Woody is right in saying they didn’t have a backup qb.  The statement is true.  We may never know who is the main reason why wilson stayed, but factually it is correct. 

• Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, hawk said:

This is Woody saying we didn't have a backup QB to Zach Wilson.  IMO.

Woody is responsible for us even having Zach Wilson.

I thought that was JD and Rex Hogan, Woody signs the checks

24 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Everyone here blames Zach Wilson QB'ing the team as to why they only won 7 games this past season. Woody finally says it and he's a clown. This place is too much.

I don't put all of the blame for the offensive struggles on ZW2 but I also don't think most people realize just how handicapped the team has been with him starting. Bricks in his brains + can't identify a defense + can't adjust the OL at the LOS + can't handle pressure in the pocket + can't identify ya know the open receiver. It's a shame because physically he is about as talented as they come at the position.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

I don't put all of the blame for the offensive struggles on ZW2 but I also don't think most people realize just how handicapped the team has been with him starting. Bricks in his brains + can't identify a defense + can't adjust the OL at the LOS + can't handle pressure in the pocket + can't identify ya know the open receiver. It's a shame because physically he is about as talented as they come at the position.

Simien sucks but he could run a basic offense and the offense looked more functional with him and he’s not even a viable backup.

With woody’s comments, i wonder if the jets overpay for OTs in FA and then go scouting qbs with woody’s mandate to never be without backup qbs.  Wouldn’t it be something if the jets sat quietly with every mock giving them a tackle and then at 10 they take mccarthy and say they’re going to sit him a year unless rodgers gets hurt.  

• Upvote 1

zach is a bad qb and joe is a terrible gm for drafting him and his "franchise left tackle" but Woody is the guy that hired Joe so Woody look in the mirror if you want to see the guy truly responsible. The Jets have another wasted season coming up-after the Arod disaster ends Woody needs to fire joe and saleh and bring in proven guys and pay them whatever they want-

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Simien sucks but he could run a basic offense and the offense looked more functional with him and he’s not even a viable backup.

With woody’s comments, i wonder if the jets overpay for OTs in FA and then go scouting qbs with woody’s mandate to never be without backup qbs.  Wouldn’t it be something if the jets sat quietly with every mock giving them a tackle and then at 10 they take mccarthy and say they’re going to sit him a year unless rodgers gets hurt.  

This is right here my man. Operating an offense as a QB is like being a maestro. You have to orchestrate the positions play by play regardless of the play call. Without that ability you can only drive in one gear.

image.png.1ae1eb6af9169761edb965d2dd3cce2d.png

11 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Woody is right in saying they didn’t have a backup qb.  The statement is true.  We may never know who is the main reason why wilson stayed, but factually it is correct. 

Look deeper into Woody's comments.  He's saying we have AVT and Tippmann so he thinks we need 2 OTs, an OG and a WR for next year.  Considering that AVT was out most of the year, that means we had only 1 guy on the OL (Joe Tippman) last year and he was a rookie C. 

In other words, they gave ZW 1 OL and 1 WR, yet they're blaming him for everything.  Pure scapegoating.  A total cop-out on Woody's part.  

• More Ugh 1

8 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

This is right here my man. Operating an offense as a QB is like being a maestro. You have to orchestrate the positions play by play regardless of the play call. Without that ability you can only drive in one gear.

image.png.1ae1eb6af9169761edb965d2dd3cce2d.png

Why i want them to get pratt, a no frills qb who can run an offense and hit the basic 10 yard slants.  

12 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So how does this fit into the narrative that Woody forced ZW onto the roster as the QB2 last year and kept pushing for him to be the starter again due to JetBlue connections?

Given that Woody is a complete weasel who takes zero accountability for his own failures, I would say it doesn't affect that narrative one way or the other at all.

• Post of the Week 3