You’re the GM, what’s your offseason plan?

33 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I love how people want us to draft OL in the 3rd and 4th just so they can write them off a year later and talk about how we need to draft more OL in the 3rd and 4th.  

Max Mitchell has been horrible and is likely on the cut list.

I have Carter Warren as my remaining backup Tackle but wouldn’t hand him the #3 OT just yet.  

Our OL stinks and just because we missed with Mitchell doesn’t mean we stop drafting.

So yeah, I want to draft more OL.  We haven’t drafted a guard since AVT.  I have Tippmann as the Center.

3 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Max Mitchell has been horrible and is likely in the cut list.

I have Carter Warren as my remaining backup Tackle but wouldn’t hand him the #3 OT just yet.  

Our OL stinks and just because we missed with Mitchell doesn’t mean we stop drafting.

So yeah, I want to draft more OL.  We haven’t drafted a guard since AVT.  I have Tippmann as the Center.

The guy who has been horrible shut down Maxx Crosby last year.  He was also coming off a blood clot issue and a pretty decent rookie season, and played on a makeshift line where literally everyone struggled.  Not saying he'll be anything, but to write him off already would be pretty reactionary and potentially another mistake in a long line of letting players go too early.

Also you don't have to hand Warren anything, but that doesn't mean you have to invest a 3rd into backup OT competition for him.  Go sign a veteran to a short term contract.  Use that pick on a guy who can actually contribute next year.  Like a LB to replace our expensive and declining captain on defense.  Or a DT to fix our putrid run D.  Or a WR, since we don't just need a #2, but a #4 as well.  I have no problem with taking a developmental OG, for what it's worth.  The 4th is a perfect spot for it.

If 2024 is a "win now" year, I don't see the value in taking another developmental tackle in the 3rd over a guy who can step in and contribute right away.  Especially when we already have two developmental tackles on the roster.  If you really want more sh*t to throw at the wall in hopes something sticks, go take a kid in the 6th or something.  Even that would be a waste though, IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Trade or cut Zach

Sign a WR, Tee Higgins as an example

Resign Becton on a team friendly deal. Resign Huff and Davis and Greg. 

Sign a legit number 2 RB. 

Move on from CJ and Rucket will take his spot in the rotation  

Trade for Sam Howell to be the new backup. 

Draft an OT with our first round pick. 

Draft another G, safety and TE and DT  and a developmental mid round QB (Rattler?)

And pray Rodgers is RODGERS and he stays healthy and all our players are healthy in general  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

The guy who has been horrible shut down Maxx Crosby last year.  He was also coming off a blood clot issue and a pretty decent rookie season, and played on a makeshift line where literally everyone struggled.  Not saying he'll be anything, but to write him off already would be pretty reactionary and potentially another mistake in a long line of letting players go too early.

Also you don't have to hand Warren anything, but that doesn't mean you have to invest a 3rd into backup OT competition for him.  Go sign a veteran to a short term contract.  Use that pick on a guy who can actually contribute next year.  Like a LB to replace our expensive and declining captain on defense.  Or a DT to fix our putrid run D.  Or a WR, since we don't just need a #2, but a #4 as well.  I have no problem with taking a developmental OG, for what it's worth.  The 4th is a perfect spot for it.

If 2024 is a "win now" year, I don't see the value in taking another developmental tackle in the 3rd over a guy who can step in and contribute right away.  Especially when we already have two developmental tackles on the roster.  If you really want more sh*t to throw at the wall in hopes something sticks, go take a kid in the 6th or something.  Even that would be a waste though, IMO.

Good thoughts which was the intent of my starting post.  A discussion on each other’s plans.

My view on Mitchell is he doesn’t have the core and lower body strength to be a reliable Tackle in this league.  And he probably won’t all of a sudden develop that.

He might hold up in certain cases but not for a long 17 game season.

That’s my read which impacted my plan.

So then it was a question of 3rd round tackle or stopgap.  To be fair, I could go either way.

Our key difference is how we evaluate Max Mitchell.  I still like your plan but preferred to draft someone we really like with a fairly high 3rd round pick (not a developmental guy).  Tackle is a premium position that I would use a premium pick on.  We unfortunately cannot rely on our starters to stay healthy.  

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Mine …

1. 3 new OL starters + credible swing tackle.  AVT to remain at guard next year.  Bye Becton

2. Add #2 and #3 WRs

3. Pay a premium for a quality back-up QB

4. Draft a mid round QB to develop.  Fast processor & accurate over elite physical skills

5. Sorry CJ, pay cut or a warm goodbye.  We need help paying for the above ..

6. Don’t let the door hit you in the a$$ Laken and Uzomah

7. Trade Zach for anything or pretty much nothing at all just to get him off the roster and save salary

8. Sign a veteran back-up RB who can pass protect & catch

9. Re-sign Morstead and Greg the Leg

10. Now to the Defense.  Franchise & trade Huff for a 2nd rounder or a #2 WR

11. Re-sign Ashtyn to start at SS

12. Add a veteran run stuffing DT (requirements:  fat, ugly, mean)

Draft

Round 1:  OT (2024 starter)

Round 2*: WR (2024 starter)

Round 3:  OT (swing OT)

Round 4:  Guard (backup along w/ Schweitzer)

Round 4:  QB (developmental)

Round 6:  DT

Round 7:  CB

Round 7:  LB

Round 7:  Edge

Free Agency

Starting Tackle ($$$): prioritize Onwenu

Starting WR ($$):  caution not to overpay Higgins.  Assuming Evans is not realistic given price, next tier option who can compete with 2nd round draft pick (assuming for now we can trade Huff)

Starting Guard ($):  a couple quality low cost options like Nick Allegretti who would land a starting gig and be a big upgrade over Tomlinson

The next 2.5 months are critical!  This is where we failed big time last year.

What’s your plan?

Love all your plans with exception of Ashtyn Davis as starter.

• Haha 1

It looks like you are getting the second rounder (that you use on the WR2) by tagging and trading Huff. But can you rebut the consensus here that the strategy is high risk--if we do it blind no one bites to take the 1 yr contract off our hands and  no one will agree on a handshake deal  before the tagging. There's a lot of good stuff in your post, as always, but I have doubts about the feasibility of the tag and trade.

• Sympathy 1

I should be clear, since my gif could come across as flippant, that I 100% would have blown up the Jets this offseason.

Joe Douglas, Saleh and his entire staff would have been fired.

Not sure who I would have hired as GM (do fans generally know/scout GM's who are available?  I don't think so).  

But Head Coach, maybe Vrabel, with Frank Reich as his O-Co perhaps?  You take a run at Harbaugh and the linke, but odds are we're not getting the top guy(s).  These two are/were doable IMO. 

Bellichick was not even a consideration for me.

Rodgers would be asked to retire, restructure, find a trade partner, or he'd just be gone (cap hit sucks, but we're gonna pay it one way or the other).  

I draft a QB at #10 overall (they'll be one there I'm sure).  Not ideal, but a start.

Sooner the rebuild starts, the sooner we may get to consistent, repeatable, competitiveness.

Instead, we're looking at another "one year hope for it all" with Rodgers, likely followed by a total tear down when it inevitably fails to work with a 41 year old, now twice injured in his past two seasons, old HOF QB costing us a fortune.

I want to start fixing the JD-ties-to-save-his-own-ass mistakes as soon as is possible, i.e. right now.  No matter how much it hurts/crushes the 2024 team.  Rodgers and Saleh and JD are not the recipe for long term competitiveness.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

You don’t even need to pay for a premium backup. I don’t like that idea. Overpaying for Brissett or Tannehill isn’t worth it. You just need a guy who is at least functional if Rodgers were to miss time. Isn’t White available? Guys like Nick Mullins, Jake Browning can spot coverages and make throws. Mindshew is going to cost a lot too.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I should be clear, since my gif could come across as flippant, that I 100% would have blown up the Jets this offseason.

Not sure who I would have hired as GM (do fans generally know/scout GM's who are available?  I don't think so).  

But Head Coach, maybe Vrabel, with Frank Reich as his O-Co perhaps?  

Rodgers would be asked to restructure, or he'd be gone (cap hit sucks, but we're gonna pay it one way or the other).

I draft a QB at #10 overall (they'll be one there I'm sure).  Not ideal, but a start.

Sooner the rebuild starts, the sooner we may get to consistent, repeatable, competitiveness.

Instead, we're looking at another "one year hope for it all" with Rodgers, likely followed by a total tear down when it inevitably fails to work with a 41 year old, now twice injured in his past two seasons, old HOF QB costing us a fortune.

I want to start fixing the JD-ties-to-save-his-own-ass mistakes as soon as is possible, i.e. right now.  No matter how much it hurts/crushes the 2024 team.  Rodgers and Saleh and JD are not the recipe for long term competitiveness.

This team does not need a tear down. JD did that and for the most part he has added good young talent. Why we only won 7 games is because in a league where you need a QB, we didn’t have one last season.  Add some additional parts on the line, another WR and a competent back up QB and we will contend next season. I would also draft a developmental QB on day 3

19 minutes ago, Alworth said:

It looks like you are getting the second rounder (that you use on the WR2) by tagging and trading Huff. But can you rebut the consensus here that the strategy is high risk--if we do it blind no one bites to take the 1 yr contract off our hands and  no one will agree on a handshake deal  before the tagging. There's a lot of good stuff in your post, as always, but I have doubts about the feasibility of the tag and trade.

Very fair point and I agree it is high risk.  But it’s recently been done several times at the Edge position:

1. Dee Ford

2. Frank Clark

3. Jadeveon Clowney

4. Yannick Ngakoue

The average price was roughly a 2nd to 3rd rounder.

Teams will consider how strong the draft is at Edge because these guys tend not to hit unrestricted free agency.  Sometimes, yes but not common.

Yes, a team can try to force the Jets into letting Huff walk but they risk competing with more teams to sign him.  Outcome here is they risk losing him or overpaying on the open market.

So a team considers this against what the Jets are asking for.

Their choice is:

1. Use their own 1st or 2nd rounder to draft an unknown

2. Collude with other teams in forcing the Jets hand and then compete against each other.  Higher risk of losing out or overpaying on a contract 

3. Trade a 2nd rounder for a surer thing with upside (26 years old in April) and negotiate a fair contract that is not driven by over competition 

This is business analysis, something the Jets aren’t good at.  I’m 49 and semi retired so this is something I’ve done for years before selling my business.  It actually works ;)

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

But Head Coach, maybe Vrabel, with Frank Reich as his O-Co perhaps?  You take a run at Harbaugh and the linke, but odds are we're not getting the top guy(s).  These two are/were doable IMO. 

Bellichick was not even a consideration for me.

Rodgers would be asked to retire, restructure, find a trade partner, or he'd just be gone (cap hit sucks, but we're gonna pay it one way or the other).  

80% of the lists on here are flippant ;).

good thoughts as always.  Appreciate the effort!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Love all your plans with exception of Ashtyn Davis as starter.

Davis has played better than Whitehead last year. He has the same amount of turnovers as Whitehead in spite of playing only 20% of the snaps. QBs have a QBR of 33.3 against Davis, QBs have 78.8 QBR against Whitehead. Same amount of TFL.

6 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

This team does not need a tear down.

Agree to disagree.

I wouldn't necessarily tear the entire roster down, we have pieces worth keeping.  

But I would dump the GM, Coaches and old rent-a-QB without any hesitation.

6 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

JD did that and for the most part he has added good young talent. Why we only won 7 games is because in a league where you need a QB, we didn’t have one last season.  Add some additional parts on the line, another WR and a competent back up QB and we will contend next season. I would also draft a developmental QB on day 3

i.e. the "Rodgers will just fix everything" theory.

Maybe you're right, we'll see.  Lord knows this is what JD himself was banking on in 2023, and is again, more so, in 2024.

I don't believe this will work out, I predict that post-injury 41 year old Rodgers is going to be an old, slow, average QB at best, and we'll again be a middling 7-9 win team, and Rodgers will subsequently not play here in 2025 at age 42, and we'll be in full teardown mode under a new GM anyway after JD and Saleh are not extended.

Hell, at this point, even if JD/Saleh make the playoffs as a wildcard, I don't extend either.  I have no faith in either to build a champion roster or team.

Safe to say I don't hold JD's picks in as high regard as you as well.  His best picks (Wilson and Hall) were picks I literally made here on JN before he did, and I'm no GM.  I think Sauce is very over-rated (he's good, not great, so far).  Most of his picks (especially in FA but also the draft) are JAG level at best, or extremely fragile (AVT, Becton), or just average (Johnson) or TBD (McDonald, a horrible luxury pick when real needs existed and could have been filled) or flat out busts (Wilson, Mims, Moore because of Wilson, etc.).  But of course, as so often happens, Jets fans consistently inflate these picks to more than they are and ignore the wasteland of bad FA pickups and non-1st round roster-fillers-JAGs.

53 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

You don’t think he turned a corner?

Or you just think we can upgrade?

interested to hear more ..

He’s not a starter, good depth player.

There are tons of more qualified UFAs at Safety this year. Not a good year for leverage if you’re a player.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Mine …

1. 3 new OL starters + credible swing tackle.  AVT to remain at guard next year.  Bye Becton

2. Add #2 and #3 WRs

3. Pay a premium for a quality back-up QB

4. Draft a mid round QB to develop.  Fast processor & accurate over elite physical skills

5. Sorry CJ, pay cut or a warm goodbye.  We need help paying for the above ..

6. Don’t let the door hit you in the a$$ Laken and Uzomah

7. Trade Zach for anything or pretty much nothing at all just to get him off the roster and save salary

8. Sign a veteran back-up RB who can pass protect & catch

9. Re-sign Morstead and Greg the Leg

10. Now to the Defense.  Franchise & trade Huff for a 2nd rounder or a #2 WR

11. Re-sign Ashtyn to start at SS

12. Add a veteran run stuffing DT (requirements:  fat, ugly, mean)

Draft

Round 1:  OT (2024 starter)

Round 2*: WR (2024 starter)

Round 3:  OT (swing OT)

Round 4:  Guard (backup along w/ Schweitzer)

Round 4:  QB (developmental)

Round 6:  DT

Round 7:  CB

Round 7:  LB

Round 7:  Edge

Free Agency

Starting Tackle ($$$): prioritize Onwenu

Starting WR ($$):  caution not to overpay Higgins.  Assuming Evans is not realistic given price, next tier option who can compete with 2nd round draft pick (assuming for now we can trade Huff)

Starting Guard ($):  a couple quality low cost options like Nick Allegretti who would land a starting gig and be a big upgrade over Tomlinson

The next 2.5 months are critical!  This is where we failed big time last year.

What’s your plan?

Some good points.  I think my plan would be to make sure the players on the team are already assessed properly.  They need three new line starters but can some of those be found in the guys they already have?  If not then use the draft.  But even there, what positions get drafted first aren’t that set.  It would be great to get a bona fide left tackle but at ten or lower, it may be better to go for a wr or even te.  I think a good right tackle or guard can be found in later rounds.  Then the left tackle would come from free agency.  And much as Tomlinson has not played at a high level, there is some value in a guy who plays at the same position every game.  I don’t think he’s as much of a priority as straightening out the tackle spots.  I also wouldn’t rule out grabbing a qb in the third or lower rounds.  Obviously the jets need a qb after Rodgers but this draft and free agency must be focused on giving Rodgers what he needs to succeed.