Jericho Cotchery Named Head Coach Of Division 2 Limestone University

7 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I love him and this is no knock on him, but it's a little sad that as a ~65 year old franchise, he's in my top 5 favorite Jets of all time.

Why? The guy was a consummate pro and class guy. And was as sure handed a WR we’ve ever had.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Why? The guy was a consummate pro and class guy. And was as sure handed a WR we’ve ever had.

I agree. Those are some of the reasons he's in my top 5 Jets of all time.

There are other franchises who have the luxury of having their favorite top 5 candidates each be all-pros or HoFers. Cotch never even made a pro-bowl. That's my only point. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I agree. Those are some of the reasons he's in my top 5 Jets of all time.

There are other franchises who have the luxury of having their favorite top 5 candidates each be all-pros or HoFers. Cotch never even made a pro-bowl. That's my only point. 

Get it. 👍

Congratulations.  Good for him. 

Limestone seems to be all in on receivers.  The only guy from there that ever played in the NFL was our very own Vyncint Smith.  Cotchery's predecessor, Mike Furrey, was another hard working fan favorite.  Walk-on at Ohio State that got some starts and parlayed that into a scholarship at Northern Iowa.  UDFA in 2000 he never hooked on, but played in the XFL and Arena League and got back into the NFL with the Rams in 2003.  Actually got some starts at safety when they were depleted there.  He eventually signed with the Lions where he had a 1,000 yard season and then was part of Megatron's first team.  I think he signed with the Browns and played some safety again.  Furrey was Limestone's head coach in 2016 and 2017 and left to become WR coach under Nagy in Chicago.  When the Bears cleaned house he went back to Limestone with Cotchery as Assistant HC and WR coach.  Furrey left to become WR coach at South Carolina, so I don't know how big a stepping stone this is but the experience can't hurt.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I love him and this is no knock on him, but it's a little sad that as a ~65 year old franchise, he's in my top 5 favorite Jets of all time.

He was easy to root for, likable, and a class act.  I wish him success! 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Him and Chrebet kind of epitomize what a "true NY Jet" is. Good overachievers who played at a high level for a short window, but always played their hardest.

But were also kind of JAGs for a bulk of their careers on most rosters. 

How does playing at a high level make one a "true NY Jet"?

57 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

How does playing at a high level make one a "true NY Jet"?

Not what I said. I said overachievers were only had short windows of playing at a high level. Typically in the team's history we have not had many players who were really good for a really long time. It's usually short spans.

But the players the this fan base typically loves universally are the hard working underdogs who play above their talent level for a bit. 

41 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Not what I said. I said overachievers were only had short windows of playing at a high level. Typically in the team's history we have not had many players who were really good for a really long time. It's usually short spans.

But the players the this fan base typically loves universally are the hard working underdogs who play above their talent level for a bit. 

Says a lot about this franchise.

On 2/29/2024 at 9:19 AM, greenwichjetfan said:

Top 5 is a reach, even for this dreadful franchise. 

On 3/1/2024 at 3:07 PM, Adoni Beast said:

Wayne was an amazing story.  Still is.  The fact that he ever even was in the nfl let alone a good player who made big plays is amazing 

Good news for Jerricho I wish him the best as a coach

• Upvote 1

On 2/29/2024 at 11:27 AM, #27TheDominator said:

Congratulations.  Good for him. 

Limestone seems to be all in on receivers.  The only guy from there that ever played in the NFL was our very own Vyncint Smith.  Cotchery's predecessor, Mike Furrey, was another hard working fan favorite.  Walk-on at Ohio State that got some starts and parlayed that into a scholarship at Northern Iowa.  UDFA in 2000 he never hooked on, but played in the XFL and Arena League and got back into the NFL with the Rams in 2003.  Actually got some starts at safety when they were depleted there.  He eventually signed with the Lions where he had a 1,000 yard season and then was part of Megatron's first team.  I think he signed with the Browns and played some safety again.  Furrey was Limestone's head coach in 2016 and 2017 and left to become WR coach under Nagy in Chicago.  When the Bears cleaned house he went back to Limestone with Cotchery as Assistant HC and WR coach.  Furrey left to become WR coach at South Carolina, so I don't know how big a stepping stone this is but the experience can't hurt.

I took my niece there for a famous look.  VERY SMALL, middle of nowhere and calling it a university is a stretch. Yet I LOVE cotchery and hope he does well there.