Jets potential OT targets and games missed

Honestly can't recall if I did or not and can't find it so apologies if I posted this back when I asked the question.

Seeing more conversation between fans regarding Smith and Bakhtiari made me go find this to post it.

And ICYMI, we had Antwan Staley of the NYDN on the pod the other day and he said his understanding is that Fant has no interest in coming back to the Jets.

• Haha 1

Maybe a bigger question is what free agents or vets would want to come to the jets besides money?  Fant has no interest in coming back.  Moses left the jets and got picked up by the ravens.  These guys aren’t studs by any means but they have been mostly injury free and would’ve been very welcome last season.  I think they’re going to be hard pressed to build a ready out of the box oline without spending some serious money or making some trades before players are cap cuts.

• Upvote 1

I think Bhaktiari would be the only vet willing to come, and only out of his bond for Rodgers. 
Dumpster Fire GIF by MOODMAN
Taxes, management, bad turf, poor health and conditioning  staff& lame duck coach are arguably the biggest impediments to bringing in vets.

• Post of the Week 2

I think when it's said and done our OL shapes up like this.

LT: Tyron Smith (we pay him and hopefully he can stay healthy)

LG: AVT

OC: Tippman

RG: Runyan Jr. (pay for him as well and he's still young)

RT: Fuaga with the 10th pick

This has the IOL set for years as well as RT. We can continue to groom Warren and maybe after a year or 2 he can start.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I think Bhaktiari would be the only vet willing to come, and only out of his bond for Rodgers. 
Dumpster Fire GIF by MOODMAN
Taxes, management, bad turf, poor health and conditioning  staff& lame duck coach are arguably the biggest impediments to bringing in vets.

This

I only see David coming here if we overpay and we are his only option 

It’s about to be a rude awakening for some fans

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, oatmeal said:

This

I only see David coming here if we overpay and we are his only option 

It’s about to be a rude awakening for some fans

If you think the Woody, Saleh, JD haters are out in full force now just wait until we resign Becton to a team friendly deal and stick him next to AVT on the left side and draft a RT and that is the end of it. Hoping against hope that those 2 guys stay healthy and live up to potential in this woe begotten last effort to show the world that they were right in the first place. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

If you think the Woody, Saleh, JD haters are out in full force now just wait until we resign Becton to a team friendly deal and stick him next to AVT on the left side and draft a RT and that is the end of it. Hoping against hope that those 2 guys stay healthy and live up to potential in this woe begotten last effort to show the world that they were right in the first place. 

This is what's going to happen.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

This has the IOL set for years as well as RT. We can continue to groom Warren and maybe after a year or 2 he can start.

Maybe AVT stays healthy for a full season before counting on him for years...

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Don't see it. From JDs press conference I think AVT will play one of the Tackle spors and taking a T at 10 is far from a foregone conclusion. I think they already have someone targeted at 10 that is NOT a OT

2 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

Not happening. Even JD is not that dumb. And AVT is playing T when he comes back

I'd trade down from 10 and try to pick up a lower 1st and a 2nd since Jets don't have one and draft a good second tier OL maybe two of them. As for Zach the Jets have three 7th round picks and 0 5th rounders. Trade Zach and 7th for a 5. 

5 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

Not happening. Even JD is not that dumb. And AVT is playing T when he comes back

Hmmm....I disagree on both points.

JD IS that dumb

I think they will put AVT at tackle if they have no other choice but he is a guard and thats where they prefer him to be all things being equal. He's only been an ok tackle, he is a good to great guard. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I'd sign up for that.

There a lot of combinations of free agents and draft picks that could improve this offensive line, but I would prioritize run-blocking. Runyan and Fuaga's best traits are their run-blocking. 

The entire strategy of this offseason should be simple: Breece Hall is the best football player on the team. Stop letting him be hit in the backfield. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

Don't see it. From JDs press conference I think AVT will play one of the Tackle spors and taking a T at 10 is far from a foregone conclusion. I think they already have someone targeted at 10 that is NOT a OT

I got from the presser that they have guys they want in FA and based on who they land they’ll put AVT where he fits. Even after the draft this will be where I think it’ll be the 1st time we’ll hear where we will play him. Take Runyon for example. He can play OT and OG. He’s a better OG. But so is AVT. So that’s be a decision they’d have to decide who goes to OT.

I say LT I think is going to be addressed with a vet. And I think we go a younger guy at OG. Leaving it to where we still need an OT. And likely talk up Warren pre draft so it’s not obvious we want a starting RT. But ultimately go OT at 10.

That all being said I could see us for sure going 2 OTs in FA and maybe even a G. But not much besides a slot WR for weapons. Where we could use a weapon at 10. And I can’t see all 4 of Harrison, Nabers, Odunze and Bowers all gone by 10.

3 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

Who do you think they have targeted at 10? Imagine the WR’s will be gone, can’t see a QB, can’t see defense. That leaves Bowers almost by default.

I have no clue what 'the plan' is. sometimes this organization seems like they don't have a plan. 

But what they SHOULD do is sign a guy who can play LT. Who has experience playing LT at a high level consistently. To me, that is Smith or Bakhtiari. And if we were to take a chance on a guy who played LT well, but not consistently, I would go after someone like Alaric Jackson (who I have been pounding the table for ever since I found out he was going to be a FA).  

Once they have a starter set at the LT position, they will have plenty of flexibility in the draft. They can draft a plug and play RT. They can move AVT to RT and draft a playmaker on offense like Bowers or a WR. Heck, they can draft an Edge! (jk). Positionally speaking, taking care of LT ASAP in FA is critical and should be top priority. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Trent Brown should be a priority. He can play RT/LT and he fits the mold of aging namesake veteran OT with ties to the NFC-West.

Trent Williams, Duane Brown…. 
Trent Brown

Sign Trent Brown and Kevin Zeitler.  Resign Becton to a one year deal and slide him over to RT.

LT: Trent Brown

LG: Kevin Zeitler

C Tippman

RG: AVT

RT: Becton

Warren is a good depth guy 

The OT options in FA look weak.

I think the best approach is to pick up two guards in FA and a LT with pick 10.

LT: Fashanu

LG: Ezra Cleveland

C : Tippmann

RG: Robert Hunt

RT: AVT

Similar to last year, it’s risky going into the draft with a need at tackle. But non of these FA solves anything anyways.

Get a WR like Calvin Ridley and a Backup QB like Tyrod Taylor and let’s roll.