*** The official 2024 free agency thread***

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

I'm guessing Becton will be resigned 1/2 year deal - could be wrong but AR prob makes it happen.

There is so much bad blood between him and the organization. I really don't see it. And I get the feeling someone will offer him a contract that we would never give him. 

• WTF? 1

6 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

There is so much bad blood between him and the organization. I really don't see it. And I get the feeling someone will offer him a contract that we would never give him. 

Maybe, but Becton Mom loves AR...never discount the influence of a giant baby's mom.

• WTF? 1

58 minutes ago, slats said:

This is the organization’s reality, and has been (at least) since Parcells left. Tannenbaum was happy to overpay. The result was a team that got close, but had no depth largely because of the expense of his starters. He was the anti-JD, trading away picks for expensive veterans, creating an unsustainable roster situation. Maccagnan was also happy to overpay, and that’s how we got Mosley - who, despite @Sperm Edwards’s wrath, has at least played hard and with heart here. Because usually when the team lands a player only for the money we wind up with Trumaine Johnson. 

It’s frustrating, but I prefer he stick to his guns rather than grossly overpaying for players. This is not an attractive destination, but I still want players who want to be here for more than just a paycheck. That’s why I also approve of spending more on younger guys with upside, because at least those guys are playing for yet another contract. Being the NFLPA’s ATM isn’t going to take the clown shoes off of this organization, only some winning can do that. The execution has been shaky, but he’s right to try to build thru the draft. That’s his only real shot at truly great players like Garrett Wilson, Breece, Sauce, etc. 

It depends on how stubbornly he's sticking to his guns.

If he's Idzik'ing lines in the sand over an ultimately insignificant amount, and as a result he signs his Option D at $9MM per instead of the Option B he really wanted at $12MM per (Biadasz or however you spell his stupid name signed with Wash for $10MM), then it's foolish.

That's also a far cry from the alternative of paying the likes of CJ Mosley $17MM/year -- millions more than the $15MM franchise tag amount that was 100% fueled that high by pass rushing OLBs (the top MLB was Kuechly at just $12.3MM). Also don't absolve JD so quickly for Mosley -- he's been on non-guaranteed money since March of 2023, so paying him $17MM per in '23 and '24 is on JD, not Macstupid. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

It's not that JD isn't willing to spend, it's that he isn't willing to guarantee that 3rd year. Look at all of the contracts he's given out.  That 3rd year is never fully guaranteed. Look at the Quinnen Contract. After the 2nd year of the deal they can cut him post June 1st and save $11 million with a $9 million dead cap hit over that next year and the year after.  JD always has an out after 2. But if he'd go the extra year guaranteed he'd get these guys. It's his philosophy and it's not going to change so we will continue to miss out on players that can really help us win now. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Well…I guess it’s good they’re not spending big and leaving the next regime totally screwed, right? 

The only thing they should really address between now and the draft is bringing in an OT and WR and try to retain a couple of cheap guys like Ashtyn Davis and Quinton Jefferson.

You’ve got your backup QB, you’ve got your LG, you’ve retained Zuerlein with Morstead sure to follow unless he wants to retire.

Now go add Garrett’s running mate and a dude like Bakhtiari or Tyron Smith and I’ll see you in late April.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SickJetFan said:

I'm guessing Becton will be resigned 1/2 year deal - could be wrong but AR prob makes it happen.

I hope so. He was up and down last season but he’s still young and it was his first full season since his rookie year. Bring him back for depth as a swing tackle and backup. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The only thing they should really address between now and the draft is bringing in an OT and WR and try to retain a couple of cheap guys like Ashtyn Davis and Quinton Jefferson.

You’ve got your backup QB, you’ve got your LG, you’ve retained Zuerlein with Morstead sure to follow unless he wants to retire.

Now go add Garrett’s running mate and a dude like Bakhtiari or Tyron Smith and I’ll see you in late April.

With the Jags spending on Gabe Davis and everywhere else but Ridley, it seems like he’s gone…

You’d have to think though he gets at least $15M a year though from somebody.

2 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

With the Jags spending on Gabe Davis and everywhere else but Ridley, it seems like he’s gone…

You’d have to think though he gets at least $15M a year though from somebody.

Maybe, maybe not.

I’m also not convinced that the WR move is going to come through FA.

Douglas spent the last two years making calls on Tyreek Hill, Davante Adams, Mike Evans and Tee Higgins (that we know of).

Now I’m supposed to believe that in a truly make or break year, he’s going to settle on Marquez Valdes-Scantling?

If that’s the case, then he truly is a f*cking imbecile.

Just now, Untouchable said:

Maybe, maybe not.

I’m also not convinced that the WR move is going to come through FA.

Douglas spent the last two years making calls on Tyreek Hill, Davante Adams, Mike Evans and Tee Higgins (that we know of).

Now I’m supposed to believe that in a truly make or break year, he’s going to settle on Marquez Valdes-Scantling?

If that’s the case, then he truly is a f*cking imbecile.

Interesting you note this b/c i was wondering if the jets will trade out of 10 and then take a wr, and then go OL in round 2.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

At this point I can't see any signings today be more than 1-2 yrs..Of course, I could be wrong.

Bad blood? with Douglas?  maybe Carter....But he's not making the personnel decisions.

Just now, C Mart said:

At this point I can't see any signings today be more than 1-2 yrs..Of course, I could be wrong.

Bad blood? with Douglas?  maybe Carter....But he's not making the personnel decisions.

Bad blood with the whole organization and the fan base. He's done here. Remember him blaming the Jets for reinjuring his knee?

31 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It depends on how stubbornly he's sticking to his guns.

If he's Idzik'ing lines in the sand over an ultimately insignificant amount, and as a result he signs his Option D at $9MM per instead of the Option B he really wanted at $12MM per (Biadasz or however you spell his stupid name signed with Wash for $10MM), then it's foolish.

That's also a far cry from the alternative of paying the likes of CJ Mosley $17MM/year -- millions more than the $15MM franchise tag amount that was 100% fueled that high by pass rushing OLBs (the top MLB was Kuechly at just $12.3MM). Also don't absolve JD so quickly for Mosley -- he's been on non-guaranteed money since March of 2023, so paying him $17MM per in '23 and '24 is on JD, not Macstupid. 

I don’t disagree. I’m not particularly happy about the state of the franchise. I don’t know how much of it is Joe D or how much is coming from the owner. Last year was a very bad year. From bringing in everybody Rodgers wants to hang with, to not adding a viable option at QB after he got hurt. Your issues with Mosley are well documented, my opinion is that he’s pricey but still a net positive. I like JD’s basic approach, but it’s obvious that the execution -outside of his outstanding 2022 draft- has been somewhat lacking. Compared to everyone who came before him, however, the guy actually seems to have an idea. And this organization, being what it is, is unlikely to attract a stronger candidate. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Bad blood with the whole organization and the fan base. He's done here. Remember him blaming the Jets for reinjuring his knee?

Do you really think the football decision makers care about how the fanbase views him?

Just now, C Mart said:

Do you really think the football decision makers care about how the fanbase views him?

No but I think Becton does. Sorry I didn't make that clearer. He's a FA who can sign with anyone he wants and my feeling is he wants absolutely no part of the Jets.

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

I don’t disagree. I’m not particularly happy about the state of the franchise. I don’t know how much of it is Joe D or how much is coming from the owner. Last year was a very bad year. From bringing in everybody Rodgers wants to hang with, to not adding a viable option at QB after he got hurt. Your issues with Mosley are well documented, my opinion is that he’s pricey but still a net positive. I like JD’s basic approach, but it’s obvious that the execution -outside of his outstanding 2022 draft- has been somewhat lacking. Compared to everyone who came before him, however, the guy actually seems to have an idea. And this organization, being what it is, is unlikely to attract a stronger candidate. 

If rodgers stays healthy we have a qb for maybe 2 yrs which will likely buy douglas an extension and another opportunity to draft a qb.  Assuming they use a top pick on a tackle and that guy is good the OLshoudl also improve.  So yeah, i do think there’s a plan.  I’ll throw a wildcard in here that they may use that 1st rounder on a wr if the situation presents itself. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SickJetFan said:

If Becton had half a brain (debatable) he'd sign with the Titans. 

Low pressure situation, no OTs now (they'll draft one - but he can beat out everyone else on their roster) and most importantly he can work with Bill Callahan - best OL coach in the NFL. 

He signs a 1-2 year deal now and actually is able to develop/get his head on straight he could definitely position himself to sign a big contract in 2025/2026. 

I think the odds he signs here is basically 0% and I'm fine with that. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Guilhermezmc said:

For how bad this FA has been the jets kinda need to trade down from 10 

If JJ McCarthy slides to 10 jets will be in prime trade back position, teams may want to jump the Vikings (broncos could be trade partner??)

• Upvote 1

Just now, Guilhermezmc said:

For how bad this FA has been the jets kinda need to trade down from 10 

What’s been so horrible about it?

We didn’t give a decent guard like Jonah Jackson $16 million a year?

Both of the top OT’s are still on the market and the Jets are bound to make a move for a wideout.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Just say Mosley sucks and you hate him and we can be friends again.

Did you not hear today's news about Mosely's contract extension? 10 years, $100 million, and he gets to visit your house and punch you once a week (an odd request, but what the player wants, the player gets amirite?)

\\:D/

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Did you not hear today's news about Mosely's contract extension? 10 years, $100 million, and he gets to visit your house and punch you one a week (an odd request, but what the player wants, the player gets amirite?)

\\:D/

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

What’s been so horrible about it?

We didn’t give a decent guard like Jonah Jackson $16 million a year?

Both of the top OT’s are still on the market and the Jets are bound to make a move for a wideout.

Its delusional thinking that the jets will get any of the top players, JD is bargain shopper he will not pay for anyone and the jets are not a place people come to get paid less or the same as other places

• Thumb Down 1