Hypothetical: The Jets trade up to 3. Who do you take?

Who would you take at 3?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you take at 3?

There are four guys I think we like as a consensus.  Alt, Harrison, Nabers, Odunze.

With three QBs all but guaranteed to go in the first 4 picks, I think that puts 7 as the magic position.  That's where you want to go if you are going to trade up at all.  Or you wait and if another player or two slide into the top-7, you work your way down.  I personally see 8 as the best place to go as long as the top-7 don't include Alt and all three WRs going off the board, which would suck wildly.  In a way, it doesn't matter who I prefer between those four guys.  Any of them would be a fantastic get at this time.  I'd toss a 2024 4th or 2025 3rd to move up to 8 and get one.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Obviously it’s unlikely to happen, but say Douglas pulls a 2020 49ers-style trade up to three. Who do you take? (presumes Caleb goes 1, Jayden Daniels goes 2.)

You can’t trade up to 3 in THIS draft and not take a QB (the team at 3 will want the QB tax in trade compensation).

So I’d never make this move UNLESS Daniels is available at 3.

The Jets can not pay the QB tax to get MH Jr. or anyone else IMO.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

The only player I would be ok with us trading up that high for is Jayden Daniels QB.

Since he is off the board, I’d go with my WR1 Malik Nabers.

#2 is the perfect spot for DC

They have to take Daniels.  I like Daniels better than Caleb Williams.

Daniels looks so poised and decisive in the pocket. 

When he does decide to take off, there's no hesitation.  He just goes, and (unlike ZW 🤣) actually runs forward instead of backwards or sideways.

Caleb Williams takes too many sacks and I suspect we will see some shades of Zach Wilson and Sam Darnold in terms of being too frenetic and getting carried away fleeing the pocket trying to extend plays, which is much harder to do in the NFL than it is in college.

There's underrated bust risk with Caleb Williams.  I wouldn't trust him, but it's tough because there are question marks with every guy.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Joe alt is the only answer. We need to win now Aaron Rodgers can make mediocre receivers look good we need to protect him and you can't trust two old guys to protect another old guy for 16 games.

He wouldn't even start at this point. How would a backup help on a win now team? He's not even the consensus best tackle in the draft. I think you have to take a weapon that helps us win now, and no one would do that better than MHJ. He would play a ton and be the most impactful.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

He wouldn't even start at this point. How would a backup help on a win now team? He's not even the consensus best tackle in the draft. I think you have to take a weapon that helps us win now, and no one would do that better than MHJ. He would play a ton and be the most impactful.

Point taken on Alt.  He seems like the best bet in terms of pass pro at least, which is what matters most for blindside protector.

I love MHJ — he’s as close to a slam dunk as you can get at the position — but trading up that high for a WR is almost unheard of.

Quality WRs have a way of going lower than they should.

Often the problem is not where you pick but knowing who to pick.

I think the 9ers took Jerry Rice after Jets took Al Toon 🤣

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Point taken on Alt.  He seems like the best bet in terms of pass pro at least, which is what matters most for blindside protector.

I love MHJ — he’s as close to a slam dunk as you can get at the position — but trading up that for a WR is almost unheard of.

The Falcons gave a lot to trade up for Julio Jones

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Obviously it’s unlikely to happen, but say Douglas pulls a 2020 49ers-style trade up to three. Who do you take? (presumes Caleb goes 1, Jayden Daniels goes 2.)

This is dumb

2 hours ago, GreenFish said:

The only player I would be ok with us trading up that high for is Jayden Daniels QB.

Since he is off the board, I’d go with my WR1 Malik Nabers.

Yeah.  I would still take Harrison.  Funny thing is when I read the thread title I thought it was Shane trying to put their name to Harrison vs. Nabers vs. Odunze.  You know if they end up with Odunze or Bowers some people are going to act like they would have taken them at 3.  Probably Fashanu too for that matter.

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Don't really disagree.

But a QB taking over for Rodgers having GW and MHJ is set up to succeed.

We aren’t getting a QB to take over for Rodgers with no first and second round picks until 2026.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I love MHJ — he’s as close to a slam dunk as you can get at the position — but trading up that high for a WR is almost unheard of.

Quality WRs have a way of going lower than they should.

Often the problem is not where you pick but knowing who to pick.

Al Toon was an amazing receiver - if he was on the Niners he would have been amazing. Ken O'Brien threw him too many hospital balls so he had too many concussions. Hard for a lot of people to hear, but he was just as talented but not as durable. Maybe with Montana throwing him the ball he would have lasted longer. 

A side note, Toon was picked #10. We seem to have picked a couple nice receivers at #10. Maybe we should do that again this year. If it ain't broke...

2 hours ago, PS17 said:

We aren’t getting a QB to take over for Rodgers with no first and second round picks until 2026.

So no QBs can succeed after the 1st 65 picks or so?

Or can they if they have incredible weapons around them and an OL?

This fan base should know more than anyone that we need to help a young QB with things around him bc that’s exactly what we haven’t done with our last however many attempts. How about this time we get star talent all around a mid round QB

4 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

How impactful was Garrett Wilson last year when Aaron Rodgers got hurt and the offensive line was in shambles. Yes he is a great player, he definitely made plays but without an offensive line and quarterback we won't make the playoffs. If one of those linemen get hurt we are in trouble regardless of how many weapons we have we need someone who can jump in if one of them go down. For the record I don't think mhj is going to be the best receiver in the class I think both nabers and odunze will be better than him.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Is it not consensus enough for you? Do you want me to go back and make it more consensusy?

Is he wrong though? A trade up to three with the Pats is beyond unrealistic. 

By the way, who are the Pats taking at 10? Bowers? 😅

17 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Is he wrong though? A trade up to three with the Pats is beyond unrealistic. 

By the way, who are the Pats taking at 10? Bowers? 😅

Hold fast, Reply Guy. Are you familiar with the term “hypothetical”? Should we add it to this week’s vocab list along with “consensus”? I’m here to help you grow. 

• Haha 3

I voted for Harrison who is prob the best overall player in this draft. But would that work out on this team. Our number one WR is an Ohio State player and would he want to give up or share being number one with another player maybe a guy better than him although you'd have to assume Rodgers could figure it out. Not being number one or sharing it especially going into your second contract could cost a lot of money. 

If we're trading up to 1.03, it had better be for a QB.  So I would assume JD would want Maye (or possibly JJ).

Of course, why would New England trade with us in the first place?!  This hypothetical makes no sense.