Scouts take on Brock Bowers - merged

Just now, Matt39 said:

I’d like to see Bowers run faster than a 4.59.

I'd like you to admit you were talking out of your *ss saying LaPorta is bigger and faster.  No comment on their identical height/weight?

On Brock Bowers:

"Boasts elite level athleticism, clocking a 4.5 40 as a sophomore and a 40-inch vertical. Has the speed to burn a linebacker and separate from a defensive back. "

Meanwhile, Dawgnation.com is reporting that Bowers ran a 4.53 40-yard dash.  That would also be faster than Travis Kelce (4.61), Rob Gronkowski (4.68) and Sam LaPorta (4.59). It's only .01 away from what George Kittle ran (4.52) during the pre-draft process.

• Upvote 2

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

Agree with the scouting report. I continue to think he'd be insane to take at 10 and while he may end up being a very good player I doubt he would be for the Jets who would almost certainly not use him correctly.

Go for a stud OT prospect or a WR -- even if you're "reaching" for a Brian Thomas Jr. type bet on freakish upside at a game changing position, not an H-back who was productive on the most talented team in college football.

Why isn’t tight end a “game changing” position?

There were three great tight ends in the conference championships this year. How many WRs of the same caliber?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

If bowers can run faster than a 4.59 why did he dodge the combine?

This has been discussed ad neaseum.  If you were a top NFL draft pick coming off a hamstring injury, would you run the 40 when it could only hurt your draft position?

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, WhartonJet said:

I'd like you to admit you were talking out of your *ss saying LaPorta is bigger and faster.  No comment on their identical height/weight?

On Brock Bowers:

"Boasts elite level athleticism, clocking a 4.5 40 as a sophomore and a 40-inch vertical. Has the speed to burn a linebacker and separate from a defensive back. "

Meanwhile, Dawgnation.com is reporting that Bowers ran a 4.53 40-yard dash.  That would also be faster than Travis Kelce (4.61), Rob Gronkowski (4.68) and Sam LaPorta (4.59). It's only .01 away from what George Kittle ran (4.52) during the pre-draft process.

I thought Laporta was bigger my mistake. We still don’t have any athleticism metrics for Bowers. I don’t care what dawg nation has.

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Agree with the scouting report. I continue to think he'd be insane to take at 10 and while he may end up being a very good player I doubt he would be for the Jets who would almost certainly not use him correctly.

Go for a stud OT prospect or a WR -- even if you're "reaching" for a Brian Thomas Jr. type bet on freakish upside at a game changing position, not an H-back who was productive on the most talented team in college football.

Aaron Rodgers favors guys who can run a full route tree and know where they’re supposed to be and when they’re supposed to be there.

He’d avoid an extremely raw, go-route guy like the plague.

1 minute ago, WhartonJet said:

This has been discussed ad neaseum.  If you were a top NFL draft pick coming off a hamstring injury, would you run the 40 when it could only hurt your draft position?

I don’t really care about his draft position. I want to know what he runs before I draft him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

On Brock Bowers:

Ooh Wharton’s giving him the businesssss

Ill see myself out

Just now, Untouchable said:

Aaron Rodgers favors guys who can run a full route tree and know where they’re supposed to be and when they’re supposed to be there.

Just say you’re not a Marquez Valdez Scantling fan

Just now, Matt39 said:

I thought Laporta was bigger my mistake. We still don’t have any athleticism metrics for Bowers. I don’t care what dawg nation has.

Make stuff up out of thin air, get called on it - "my mistake".  The internet is glorious.  You are not a credible person and not worth debating.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

BROCK BOWERS, Georgia (6-3, 241, no 40, 1): Third-year junior. “Thing that’s interesting about him is this is not a Rob Gronkowski (6-6, 260, 4.67), Travis Kelce (6-5, 257, 4.63) body,” said one scout. “This is almost like a fullback body. If you draft him and play him just as a pure tight end, you’ll be disappointed. He’s not going to go hammer those 260-pound defensive end and outside backers in the run game.

Translation:  He is undersized to be a truly adequate NFL blocking TE and will be of minimal use in the run game.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

And it’s not like he’s going to go out-jump some of these defensive backs for the ball. He really didn’t make a ton of plays like that.

Translation:  For a "big slot" he's going to be a relatively easy guy to cover for NFL level #1, #2 and Nickel CB's, who will be far faster, more agile and with superior ball hawking skills than what he played in college.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Most of his plays are run after catch. He’s excellent with the ball in his hand. That whole offense ran through Bowers. Outside, inside, motion, slot, backfield. They schemed him up and they’d get the ball to him quickly in the flat.

Translation:  He's basically a flat RB or 5-yard out/curl TE who, it is hoped, will then get lots of YAC. 

Not a "big slot" who will exploit the entire passing tree.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Now is that worth a top-10 pick? He might end up falling because he’s not a three-down player. You’ve got to limit his reps and use him as a true ‘U.’

So not a full time starter or every down weapon like a legit #1/#2 WR would be.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Keep him on the back side to come across in motion and whack guys. He’s not a point-of-attack player. He’s not as athletic as (Kyle) Pitts getting in and out of breaks. He doesn’t have that basketball uniqueness. But he’s got length (32 ¾-inch arms) and rare ball skills.” Finished with 175 catches for 2,538 (14.5) and 26 TDs. “He’s just a quiet guy,” a third scout said. “Keeps to himself. Does the right thing. Always on time.” From Napa, Calif.

So again, his appeal seems to be entirely "line up all over, short pass, hope for lots of YAC, because that was him in college." which, lets be clear, will be MUCH harder at the NFL level where every player is elite by college standards.  And unlike college, the Jets O won't be run through him at all, it'll be run through Hall and Wilson and Williams, so his opportunities to break a big YAC play won't be nearly as frequent.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Translation:  He is undersized to be a truly adequate NFL blocking TE and will be of minimal use in the run game.

Translation:  For a "big slot" he's going to be a relatively easy guy to cover for NFL level #1, #2 and Nickel CB's, who will be far faster, more agile and with superior ball hawking skills than what he played in college.

Translation:  He's basically a flat RB or 5-yard out/curl TE who, it is hoped, will then get lots of YAC. 

Not a "big slot" who will exploit the entire passing tree.

So not a full time starter or every down weapon like a legit #1/#2 WR would be.

So again, his appeal seems to be entirely "line up all over, short pass, hope for lots of YAC, because that was him in college." which, lets be clear, will be MUCH harder at the NFL level where every player is elite by college standards.

If the Jets are fortunate enough to draft him, be happy to be wrong

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

Make stuff up out of thin air, get called on it - "my mistake".  The internet is glorious.  You are not a credible person and not worth debating.

If we want to be technical Laporta is heavier than Bowers. Maybe they didn’t teach that in business school.

• Thumb Down 1

13 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

On Brock Bowers:

Exactly when did he run this 4.53 40   cause wasnt at the combine or his pro day  .   Did he run this 4.53 3 years ago?

21 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

We all would.  Why is he hiding this scary speed from everyone?

What does he have to gain by running it? He’s pretty much a guaranteed top 15 guy with his tape without running. Also are we totally not keeping in mind he did get injured to finish the year?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

What does he have to gain by running it? He’s pretty much a guaranteed top 15 guy with his tape without running. Also are we totally not keeping in mind he did get injured to finish the year?

Sure from Bowers perspective I get it. If you’re the Jets though it’s a risk. 

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

There does seem to be a lot of mystery shrouding his speed...

image.png

I’m really confused. Did Georgia use him on end arounds, screens etc to best utilize his speed and athleticism so therefore we shouldn’t draft him or

Hes an unathletic lump of puny puke so we shouldn’t draft him?

28 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Agreed. 

• Upvote 1

I get wishing there were testing numbers on Bowers. I also get why didn’t run, especially if he initially tweaked his hamstring training for the 40 instead of training for football like he said. But GPS tracking, which is more and more being used by NFL teams as a better indicator of play speed than the combine numbers, puts him as an exceptional athlete at least according to PFF’s player tracking:

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I’d like to see Bowers run faster than a 4.59.

Laporta also had a sub 7 3 cone and tested extremely well in the vertical and broad jumps. Bowers hasn’t done any of this.

H.S. Scouting Report

Boasts elite level athleticism, clocking a 4.5 40 as a sophomore and a 40-inch vertical. Has the speed to burn a linebacker and separate from a defensive back. Tracks the ball well, uses good body control and his hands to make his catches and routinely finds the soft spot in a defense. Plus blocker who can seal off the edge but used best as a pass-catcher. Projects as multi-year Power 5 starter and projects as second round pick.

1 minute ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I’m really confused. Did Georgia use him on end arounds, screens etc to best utilize his speed and athleticism so therefore we shouldn’t draft him or

Hes an unathletic lump of puny puke so we shouldn’t draft him?

I don't know.  I see unconfirmed reports of his 40-time and his GPS speed.  Both look excellent.  So does his film and his results.  So I'm inclined to believe he's plenty fast (he's no rookie Larry Allen though!).  Honestly, I think he would be very productive here and help the offense a lot.

I'm certainly not in a position to bash him if the Jets do decide to pick him.  I wonder about people who are setting up to do just that rather than be hopeful about the upside he would undoubtedly bring.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

If the Jets are fortunate enough to draft him, be happy to be wrong

I'll be happy we drafted an offensive skill-player and not another "Bendy Edge".

And I'll hope he is everything his fans think he is.  What other choice would I have, lol?

But I have very strong doubts he will be a huge impact guy, and certainly not early on, as noted in my reading of the scouting report above.

P.S. I don't think we need to be "fortunate" to draft him, no one picking ahead of us seems to be remotely interested in him, and frankly it feels like draftnicks and scouts just see Bowers at "top 10 worthy" and the Jets are the only team in the top 10 that can shoehorn him to without looking silly.  

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Bowers is a dynamic playmaker who graded out as one of the best tight ends in PFF College history. He averaged 2.64 yards per route run and 8.5 yards after the catch per reception over his career, which would have ranked first among all NFL tight ends last season.

The Georgia product isn't the biggest guy, but he ranked in the 80th percentile in contested catch rate for his career.

If he doesn’t look like your typical tight end, it’s because he’s not. Bowers has lined up in the slot or as an outside receiver on 1,033 snaps and as an in-line tight end on 876 snaps. Whichever team picks him in April is getting an elite weapon.

BOTTOM LINE FROM PFF'S 2024 NFL DRAFT GUIDE

Besides being on the smaller side, Bowers is a dream tight end prospect who can be an impact player in the slot, out wide and in line. Add in his reliable blocking ability on the line and in space, and you have an ultimate chess piece offensive weapon with All-Pro potential.

-PFF

More from PFF:

1. BROCK BOWERS, GEORGIA

The easiest ranking across all positions, Bowers is the clear-cut top tight end in this year’s class and arguably one of the best tight end prospects in recent history. The Georgia product has been a dominant force in college, posting a career 2.64 yards per route run — the best mark among all FBS tight ends taken in the first two rounds of the NFL draft since 2015. Bowers also posted the best yards per target over expectations (YPTOE) mark among all former first- and second-round tights ends, adding to his already elite profile.

Nearly regardless of the data point, Bowers ranks among the best tight end prospects of the PFF era (2014-), including first down/touchdown rate (95th percentile), yards per route run from in-line (99th percentile), wide (94th percentile) and slot (85th percentile) alignments. Bowers’ career 94.1 PFF receiving grade also ranks among the 96th percentile of prospects since 2018, as he’s primed to potentially be a top-10 pick in this year’s draft. Fantasy managers should expect immediate production regardless of landing spot, making him a valuable dynasty target in rookie drafts this year.

image.thumb.png.174daacb89bb4c9034dbb78666e20143.png

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I wonder about people who are setting up to do just that rather than be hopeful about the upside he would undoubtedly bring.

Perhaps some people simply don't see him as such a sure-thing must-have all-world gamechanger vs the other options as others do, and would prefer someone else at a different position?  Did you ever think of that?  

Hope doesn't win games or Super Bowls.  

And one can hope for the best once it's a fair accompli, and still think someone else would have/would be a better choice.  We Jets fans have been doing just that for years with our horrific draft pick QB's after all.  I 'hope for the best' from McDonald, but will likely never agree he was the right pick for this team in that moment.  Humans are capable of holding two related things in their heads at once you know.

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

He doesn't know that Drake Maye played for the Tar Heels and not the WolfPak. I don't know how much credence I can give this man about scouting prospects if he can't get something like this correct.

He slipped up..It happens.  McGinn has been writing about the NFL for 40 yrs. And McGinn isn't doing the scouting. He's getting takes from scouts throughout the NFL.

45 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Why would you make a top 10 pick based on what a 40 year old QB who has taken four healthy snaps for the team "favors?"

• WTF? 1

• slats changed the title to Scouts take on Brock Bowers - merged