****The Official Day 3 of the 2024 NFL Draft****

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

One the one hand, it’s Day 3 picks who have a 15% chance of making the roster. 

On the other hand, we watched a decent amount of street free agents playing important snaps for this franchise the past three years at spots that ended our seasons, so why not pack those spots out with athletes who ~might~ develop enough to be useful? We were dragging dudes off the couch to play guard last year. Our WR2 and 3 were very bad street free agents. In response to this, Douglas is using picks on multiple, redundant running backs? Just seems like a poor use of resources. 

Jordan Travis would have been a 1st rounder had he not gotten hurt. He is better than JJ, Nix, and has similar talent and ability to Penix.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Jordan Travis would have been a 1st rounder had he not gotten hurt. He is better than JJ, Nix, and has similar talent and ability to Penix.  

Hmmmm Penix has a bazooka. Very different type of QB. But am thrilled JD drafted Jordan Travis. Kid is ELECTRIC. We have NEVER had a a QB like this.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

What’s the difference talent wise of a 5-7 rounder and a UDFA? Generally these all have the same possibility of success. Would you feel more comfortable knowing your WR4 is forced to start if he was a 5th round pick than if he was a 6th round pick, or a journeyman?  Teams have deficiencies they just need to shove those deficiencies down the depth chart. Safety4, IOL4, and WR5 not being starter quality is a weird place to complain about asset management.

I think the Douglas Project should have been to push guys like Brownlee and Gipson and Xavier Newman and Max Mitchell down the depth chart as humanly possible and—preferably—off the roster entirely, replacing them with high RAS potential dudes who may or may not develop over the summer. Instead he took two short yardage backup RBs and a QB who is never going to play. I get what you’re saying—at this point it’s all fliers on dudes—but what’s he really gaining with any of these picks? Even in the best case, they’re backups to backups types. You can’t even use the two RBs on specials. 

• Upvote 1

It seems like JD got cute, and he probably would have done better by simply staying put and using his three 4th rounders. I don't know much about these guys, but the general sentiment seems to be that there was still some decent talent on the board.

As for the two RBs, it's an interesting strategy, but RB was certainly a need. I don't think it's particularly bad to have three young players battling for two spots behind Breece. The one who loses out will likely be stashed on the practice squad. RB is a young man's position, and it's never a bad thing to have multiple low mileage options as depth.

We'll see how the individual players pan out. They all seem to have some potential from the little I have seen.

8 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Jordan Travis has no chance to make the final 53.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think the Douglas Project should have been to push guys like Brownlee and Gipson and Xavier Newman and Max Mitchell down the depth chart as humanly possible and—preferably—off the roster entirely, replacing them with high RAS potential dudes who may or may not develop over the summer. Instead he took two short yardage backup RBs and a QB who is never going to play. I get what you’re saying—at this point it’s all fliers on dudes—but what’s he really gaining with any of these picks? Even in the best case, they’re backups to backups types. You can’t even use the two RBs on specials. 

Actual Davis does do specials

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I have a sentimental notion that when the Jets finally stumble on a QB it'll be some random mid round guy. So Travis fits that bill and I accept it, despite your correct assertion that he's not going to help the team this year or next. The two backs is just befuddling because even if it works... you've got an embarrassment of competent players behind mega-beast Breece Hall. I don't get it

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

It seems like JD got cute, and he probably would have done better by simply staying put and using his three 4th rounders. I don't know much about these guys, but the general sentiment seems to be that there was still some decent talent on the board.

As for the two RBs, it's an interesting strategy, but RB was certainly a need. I don't think it's particularly bad to have three young players battling for two spots behind Breece. The one who loses out will likely be stashed on the practice squad. RB is a young man's position, and it's never a bad thing to have multiple low mileage options as depth.

We'll see how the individual players pan out. They all seem to have some potential from the little I have seen.

yeah seems to me - he may have done better just sticking where he was and picked.   Thought they needed another G too but guess we will see that later.  With that said I willing to give them benefit of doubt because I have soft spot to RB and WR.  I actually cant wait to see what Allen does in pre season ditto for Corley

16 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Every year, like clockwork…..

Jordan Travis has no chance to make the final 53.

I mean he shouldn’t right? Practice squad stash and call up if Rodgers Achilles hits the fan? Not even. Maybe practice squad no
Matter what.
  • Upvote 1

I think JD is drafting on his board's value vs. need at some specific position...

Possibly drafting another Breece Hall would be much more valuable to the Jets than drafting a JAG at Safety just because it fills a need at Safety...

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They understood that hall is going to wear down and are likely going with a good rb rotation now.  Also with the new kickoff rules who knows what the jets are doing.  Finally we have a gm who invests in offense - LT, wr, rb - legitimate talents, guys who have nfl ready physiques and why complain?  

1 minute ago, jetswinbaby! said:

I think JD is drafting on his board's value vs. need at some specific position...

Possibly drafting another Breece Hall would be much more valuable to the Jets than drafting a JAG at Safety just because it fills a need at Safety...

to be fair he did get a S too...I think they are projecting Stiggers to S

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

With Malik Washington and Jerry Rice's kid still there, drafting ANOTHER big, slowish back was dopey. But IMO, in 2025-26, Travis will be the most important pick from this entire draft. The kids got IT, saw a lot of FSU the last couple of years and the dude can play. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Every year, like clockwork…..

A. When have I, the biggest griper and draft sh*tter-uponer hyped a Jets draft pick like this? Darnold, maybe?

B. That is a fact, Jordan Travis was pretty much a first-round lock before he broke his leg.

The rest of this draft after Olu was trash.

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

A better RAS guy than this?!

image.png.8f7d031999f2291af3ddd9377a52389e.png

39 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I didn't understand anything you were saying.  I was just being polite hoping you'd explain.  No worries.. 

My point is basically that the QB factory thing makes good sense usually (although I’m less convinced of it; there’s a lot of evidence that there’s basically no percentage in taking a QB outside the top 15). It makes less sense this year because we (presumably) have a QB and because said QB is 40, so we really need to be plowing resources into winning now, which in fact is exactly what we’ve been doing up until this draft started, and especially today.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I do think drafting 2 RBs is bizarre and completely ridiculous. But if the Jets draft a receiver and he gets beat out by Brownlee then it’s a wasted pick and it’s panic because “JD can’t draft a receiver to replace a UDFA.” 

• Upvote 1

Maybe I'm seeing things through green colored glasses, but the biggest needs going into day three were RB, QB, S, and WR. They hit on three of four positions.

I'll reserve judgement until we see what these players do on the field. From the few highlights I have watched, they all appear to have some talent and skills. Perhaps one of them can turn into a gem.

6 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

“I see him as a potential decade-long backup in the NFL”

— Daniel Jeremiah

Part of JD’s ”QB factory” 😂

I mean why take a guy with no upside?

To honor AR’s ego?

Backups have a lot or value.

A good backup currently costs about $5-10 million per year. That ain’t chump change and costs for a reason.

If he becomes a decade long back up from a 5th round pick, that’s a win. Anything more is gravy.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

A. When have I. …..

Wasn’t specific to you individually.

11 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

……was pretty much a first-round lock before….,   

It was to this, generally.

Like clockwork.