Pick 176: Jets select CFL DB Qwan’tez Stiggers

Wow, pretty incredible story ,of course like most of you never heard of this kid. He seems mature beyond his years and his film. It’s pretty impressive.

I think what a lot of people on this board forget to take into accounts long with all the physical skills, is the mental toughness and will to succeeded, that cannot be measured. while I’m not comparing them to Tom Brady, least we forget he was a six round pick. I know it’s rare, but what made Brady, Brady; was his will to succeeded, and his total distain for losing. We just drafted a quarterback, who has the same distain for losing.
This young man has proven through both physical, mental, on the field performance, he’s earned a shot

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Jetkwondo said:

OR, maybe being the Jets head Security screen guy,  he was the first guy to ask him personal questions to make sure he wasn't just a flash in the pan, loose cannon who was only riding his fame in Canada...

That's what makes it telling and why I now believe in this kid, who BTW had a heavy weight put on his shoulders in feeling a need 3 years back to step in for his deceased dad for his 13 siblings, and is now only 21 and a father himself. That, and his focused ball hawk play, is incredible to me...

Both things can be true.

Sure he has a great story, but so does virtually every player drafted to some degree, and the security guy is surely vetting the higher end picks much more than the lower guys anyhow. 

If you wouldn't see the security guy on the phone with the 1st rounder, why anyone else. 

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

Both things can be true.

Sure he has a great story, but so does virtually every player drafted to some degree, and the security guy is surely vetting the higher end picks much more than the lower guys anyhow. 

If you wouldn't see the security guy on the phone with the 1st rounder, why anyone else. 

Absolutely true,  as we're fed constant similar type dichotomy stories in our news feeds everyday...

There was most definitely PR forethought involved in that but to me I like to think it showed serious conversations were done anticipating drafting this raw but very talented player with a unique story. 

I get your view as well...      

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

I think a little bit of a head scratcher unless there was some need to use a fifth rounder vice sixth, seventh or even udfa.  But there is room for another db so it may turn out pretty well.

Well, he did have like 27 of the 32 teams present for his workout so there was serious doubt he'd wind up not being drafted and they seemed set on obtaining him so the pick in the 5th seemed wise for the future role they see him in. 

His traits of a being a very sure tackler with great ball skills all point to him as an immediate special teams contributor and then hopefully in a year, after gaining NFL experience, being in the mix to become our starting, ball hawking, Free Safety,  though that role hasn't been officially established yet.   All he lacks is experience to prove himself, be it at CB or S...

I just looked and almost all of our safeties and CB's including DJ Reed and M. Carter are on 1 year remaining contracts...CB Sauce and S Converse are the only DB's on multiple year contracts as both have 3 year deals left  so if, and a big IF!  Stiggers proves to be legit there is a clear path for him to take over next year for one of the priced out vets who no longer have contracts...  Even S Ashtyn Davis who recently re-signed only signed a 1 year deal so it appears he's only here for insurance and not projected long term. 

• Upvote 2

On 4/27/2024 at 6:53 PM, Jetkwondo said:

There's more to this guy's story that I think we're all going to find out about by the way our coaches react in this video.

I love the character of this team, which I feel got so much stronger by this draft , Nice job JD!

The Athletic had a great story on him a couple of weeks ago

He was getting drafted. Most teams were at his pro day and he had many Top 30 visits. 

Stiggers: led to an invite to the East-West Shrine Bowl. Stiggers spent a week in Dallas working out in front of the entire NFL, more than holding his own. By the time the game ended, he’d heard from all 32 teams.

Athletic story published March 14th:

“As of last week, Stiggers had seven formal pre-draft visits scheduled. He’s hoping to add more after his pro day at B.E.S.T. Academy on March 15, one that, again, will be attended by a gaggle of NFL scouts eager to learn the story of the kid who somehow skipped college football.”

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, C Mart said:

The Athletic had a great story on him a couple of weeks ago

He was getting drafted. Most teams were at his pro day and he had many Top 30 visits. 

Stiggers: led to an invite to the East-West Shrine Bowl. Stiggers spent a week in Dallas working out in front of the entire NFL, more than holding his own. By the time the game ended, he’d heard from all 32 teams.

Athletic story published March 14th:

“As of last week, Stiggers had seven formal pre-draft visits scheduled. He’s hoping to add more after his pro day at B.E.S.T. Academy on March 15, one that, again, will be attended by a gaggle of NFL scouts eager to learn the story of the kid who somehow skipped college football.”

Eric Galko ⁦‪@EricGalko‬⁩

If you’re still not fully aware who Qwan’tez Stiggers is, now’s the time to catch up

At his Pro Day yesterday, 29 NFL teams, including 3 NFL DB coaches, present.

He posted a 36.5 Vert, 10'8 broad, and mid to high 4.4s (our number is 4.47) at 203 lbs.

So far, 10 NFL private visits, and potentially more coming soon.

All this after a CFL ROTY season with the Toronto Argonauts and dominant Shrine Bowl week.

Don't be late on Stiggers!

pic.twitter.com/KjW6H33FcY

3/16/24, 11:37 AM

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Doubt it. 

He was such an obscure prospect in the "fan" world, I made an assumption. Looking into it, I agree. He'll play his ass off on ST's and may be a flex corner/safety. Solid guy.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, JTJet said:

Both things can be true.

I just assumed they had some sort of memorable interaction or hit it off previously.  Then again it's really not that deep so I kinda stopped deducing after that.  

9 hours ago, Jetkwondo said:

Well, he did have like 27 of the 32 teams present for his workout so there was serious doubt he'd wind up not being drafted and they seemed set on obtaining him so the pick in the 5th seemed wise for the future role they see him in. 

His traits of a being a very sure tackler with great ball skills all point to him as an immediate special teams contributor and then hopefully in a year, after gaining NFL experience, being in the mix to become our starting, ball hawking, Free Safety,  though that role hasn't been officially established yet.   All he lacks is experience to prove himself, be it at CB or S...

I just looked and almost all of our safeties and CB's including DJ Reed and M. Carter are on 1 year remaining contracts...CB Sauce and S Converse are the only DB's on multiple year contracts as both have 3 year deals left  so if, and a big IF!  Stiggers proves to be legit there is a clear path for him to take over next year for one of the priced out vets who no longer have contracts...  Even S Ashtyn Davis who recently re-signed only signed a 1 year deal so it appears he's only here for insurance and not projected long term. 

Good to hear.  The fifth round pick seems fully justified and he may have played into Douglas willingness to trade back so often.

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2024 at 8:53 PM, Jetkwondo said:

Even S Ashtyn Davis who recently re-signed only signed a 1 year deal so it appears he's only here for insurance and not projected long term. 

Unless he puts together a season even better than last year. Always a solid ST player as well

• Upvote 3

On 4/29/2024 at 6:46 AM, rangerous said:

Good to hear.  The fifth round pick seems fully justified and he may have played into Douglas willingness to trade back so often.

Stiggers was an excellent pick and someone who can learn/improve for a year and potentially take over for Reed in order to save money in 2025.  

This kid was the rookie of the year in the CFL coming from some sort of non-sense league.  Thats a huge leap for someone to step in an excel as much as he did, so he represents excellent value where we took him as he has true starting CB upside. I loved this note from PFN

At just 22 years old and with barely any conventional football experience to go off of, Stiggers already shows a lot of promise across coverage variations, and his natural playmaking ability is hard to match.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Stiggy!!!!!!!!

and Conky!!!, just 2 guys with a hope and a dream!  Maybe Conky will join him with not shaving his beard and we'll have Millie Vanilli meets ZZ Top in a couple of years!   LOL   

JK , as I expect both to be clean shaven as they hoist the Lombard on the post SB celebration tour this coming February !

• Upvote 1

On 6/5/2024 at 11:46 AM, Jetkwondo said:

Well this should be interesting...Gotta  love his commitment!

The Jets haven't won the Super Bowl in 55 years... 😅

This has the potential of being the funniest subplot of the entire season!

Though I guess it depends on if he's including the offseason Super Bowl.

Look its early, I get it, they're not even in Pads, hitting each other yet.

Stiggy hasn't even taken a snap in an NFL game.

That said, from what's being reported about him, he seems to have very good football instincts and ball skills - the kind of intangibles that are very tough to coach.

You can't help but get behind him, when you read his story and the path he took to get to the NFL.

If Stiggy continues to blossom and soak up knowledge through TC and the pre-season, he may very well be, a lot of fun to watch this season.

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Lith said:

You can’t help but root for these types of players, when life throws a curveball. Appreciate all the people who stepped in for his Dad after his passing. Glad to see how much support he’s received within the locker room and front office.

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

You can’t help but root for these types of players, when life throws a curveball. Appreciate all the people who stepped in for his Dad after his passing. Glad to see how much support he’s received within the locker room and front office.

There are 70,000 NCAA football players?

1 hour ago, OilfieldJet said:

There are 70,000 NCAA football players?

There are something like 670 NCAA FB programs consisting of Div. 1,  2, 3. That still an average of over 100 per team. Don’t know how many players teams can have. 

That said, the odds for Q’tez are slim considering no college ball.

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

There are something like 670 NCAA FB programs consisting of Div. 1,  2, 3. That still an average of over 100 per team. Don’t know how many players teams can have. 

That said, the odds for Q’tez are slim considering no college ball.

Thanks Boozer, that number just surprised me. I’m sure the % of Division 1 players making the NFL is materially greater than Division 2 and 3. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, OilfieldJet said:

Thanks Boozer, that number just surprised me. I’m sure the % of Division 1 players making the NFL is materially greater than Division 2 and 3. 

True… ‘Tez was about to attend Div 2 Lane College in Tennessee, before his father’s passing, so I’d guess his odds were longer than most since he didn’t even go there.