Pick 176: Jets select CFL DB Qwan’tez Stiggers

41 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Man, from those video clips in this article you can see that in every rep he keeps his eyes locked on the QB while he closely shadows the WR and then as the QB releases he makes what looks like an effortless breakup. I can see his value facing the QB as a deep safety... 

The article said opposing QB's eventually stopped throwing at him... I can see why!

• Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, Jetkwondo said:

It's suggested that he switches to a safety role in the NFL.

Safety is a need which makes total sense for us as a talented, young 22 year old CFL standout to develop/backup our safety position. With his back story and then his "off the couch" meteoric rise to such a high level in Canada I see him as a fearless quick learner that adjusts quickly who was born with outstanding natural abilities. All he needs is experience...

Strengths

• Well-built, proportional frame.
  • Loose hips with fluid movement in space.
  • Playmaking instincts come naturally for him.
  • Twitchy accelerator to close out targets.
  • Ball skills stand out on tape.
  • Weaknesses

• Inexperienced and needs time to learn coverages.
    • Technique gets away from him on transitions.
    • Very limited reps working from press in the Canadian Football League.
    • Needs to improve tackling technique in run support.

All his weaknesses can be coached or taught.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Jetkwondo said:

Man, from those video clips in this article you can see that in every rep he keeps his eyes locked on the QB while he closely shadows the WR and then as the QB releases he makes what looks like an effortless breakup. I can see his value facing the QB as a deep safety... 

The article said opposing QB's eventually stopped throwing at him... I can see why!

And he wears 37 which was Lester Hayes #. And he sets up just like im. Lester Hayes was a predator of a corner.

• Upvote 1

a lot to like here.

He's NOT a reach 152 rank among all NFL.com prospects and heavily scouted.

He's not overaged despite his intangibles-loaded, winding back story. He played in the Canadian Fan controlled league in 2022 at the age of 20.

The ball skills look high end and will translate to the next level, because ball-skills readily translate.

He passes the test as a specimen--6 foot 196 and I read he runs a 4.45

And what I like the most is that this guy is both a fifth CB--Oliver to do specials only---and screams deployment as  a roving deep safety in appropriate down and distance and overall game situations. In other words, this could be a very cagey solution to the safety issue--Tony Adams and then safety by a four man committee--Davis, Stiggers, Bernard-Converse and, for now at least--ugh--Clark.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

Yet he goes to CFL and becomes Rookie of the Year.  AT CB which is a very difficult position to play as a rookie. Impressive.

And an even larger area to cover on a CFL field

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

This is my favourite pick of the draft.

Love this guy's story, and he seems to have a lot of natural talent.

Just about every team in the NFL met with him in the pre-draft process.

Love this pick.

And would probably have been available as an UDFA

2 hours ago, Jets1958 said:

He got his first paycheck from Walmart, where he collected the shopping carts in the parking lot at the store on Cascade Road in Southwest Atlanta. He washed cars at Hartsfield-Jackson Airport. He was a car salesman for Superior Chevrolet. He worked temp jobs and made deliveries for DoorDash.

Hey, this dude hustles.

"I even had my own mobile oil change and brake service business," he added. "I’ve had a lot of jobs."

Now, Stiggers is poised to line up his next job with a dash of history. According to ESPN, Stiggers, projected as a mid-to-late-round pick, could become just the third player selected in the common NFL draft who didn’t play in college.

JD and Saleh aren’t as qualified as Stiggers.  

There's more to this guy's story that I think we're all going to find out about by the way our coaches react in this video.

I love the character of this team, which I feel got so much stronger by this draft , Nice job JD!

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, fullblast said:

JD switched on auto draft. He’s playing Wordle on a second screen right now.

Seriously hope they let him pay for the premium roster update and he's not going off of the free version.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jetkwondo said:

There's more to this guy's story that I think we're all going to find out about by the way our coaches react in this video.

I love the character of this team, which I feel got so much stronger by this draft , Nice job JD!

Uhh.

The security guy on the phone call? Why? Surely I'm not the only one that finds that a bit ridiculous?

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Jetkwondo said:

I really hope he works out and no problem at all with the pick but I’m reminded of Lorenzo Mauldin with all of this, these backstories are easy to love and the player will be an instant favourite(especially if you are a Hard Knocks or 1JD producer)but they guarantee nothing in terms of on field  success 

14 hours ago, Bronx said:

Saleh has done a good job with the DBs/safeties, I trust the judgement on this one. 

When it comes to defensive personnel and his decision making, I have complete trust in his judgement. He is a top defensive mind.  It will be interesting to see how he schemes his defense while defending a two touchdown lead in the 4th quarter. 

3 hours ago, redlichtie said:

I really hope he works out and no problem at all with the pick but I’m reminded of Lorenzo Mauldin with all of this, these backstories are easy to love and the player will be an instant favourite(especially if you are a Hard Knocks or 1JD producer)but they guarantee nothing in terms of on field  success 

Mauldin is a great reminder which definitely tempers expectations though I just went back and read Mauldin's Senior bowl results which really weren't that good though he flashed once... 

#94 Lorenzo Mauldin/Louisville (South)   6035/256      32 1/8” Arm-10” Hand
 He flashed his pass rush potential when he beat LSU’s La’el Collins on 1-on-1 rep, but was also blocked too often by less talented players.
1-on-1 BLITZ vs. RB’s:             Wins:  1          Losses:   1
1-on-1 PASS RUSH vs. OT’s:    Wins:  1          Losses:   5
1-on-1 PASS COVERAGE:         Wins:  1          Losses:   4

His back story aside ,what really got my attention with Stiggers, after thinking him just another guy, was when I read about and viewed his play at the East West Senior Shriners Bowl.  I could see he played with a unique confidence that few possess and he repeated it over and over to the point that opposing QB's were afraid to throw to his side. That matched his aggressive, exceptional play in Canada which gives him a pretty good chance of taking it to the next level as our FS in a year or 2, at least  I'll be rooting he does...   

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Barkus said:

That’s it I’m done. There wasn’t another college player in the country better than some guy from Canada?? JD is just trolling now. This guy would not have available as UDFA or at least 7th round??? Plus a corner????

Um.... He was a projected 5th-7th round pick dude.  He was on many teams' radar for day 3.   

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JTJet said:

Uhh.

The security guy on the phone call? Why? Surely I'm not the only one that finds that a bit ridiculous?

yeah... what was that?  maybe he's the guy that picked up and dropped off Stiggers at the airport.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Dcat said:

yeah... what was that?  maybe he's the guy that picked up and dropped off Stiggers at the airport.

OR, maybe being the Jets head Security screen guy,  he was the first guy to ask him personal questions to make sure he wasn't just a flash in the pan, loose cannon who was only riding his fame in Canada...

That's what makes it telling and why I now believe in this kid, who BTW had a heavy weight put on his shoulders in feeling a need 3 years back to step in for his deceased dad for his 13 siblings, and is now only 21 and a father himself. That, and his focused ball hawk play, is incredible to me...

• Upvote 1