Sauce - I want to be a New York Jet for the rest of my career.

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

"I love being a part of the Jets. I love being here. And I wouldn’t trade it for the world.”

“I would love to be a Jet for life… and finish my career here,” Adams said. “God willing, that’s definitely the plan…. That would be a dream come true. There’s not that many guys that have played this game who have stuck with one team. That would be an honor. I would love to.”

- Jamal Adams | November, 2018

“Maybe it’s time to move on.”

- Jamal Adams | June, 2020 (when he asked the team to trade him)

Pop Tv Memories GIF by Schitt's Creek

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PS17 said:

I’d prioritize a Garrett Wilson contract over Sauce. That said they’ll both get done. 

I'd say it would be easier replacing GW in the Draft than Sauce. He has the prototypical body... 6'3", lanky with 33.5" arms with 4.4 speed.

He's a Richard Sherman type player... smart, dedicated and professional. Sauce will play into his 30's

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2024 at 12:27 PM, Maxta_p said:

He just wants a big contract. This is meaningless.

On 5/2/2024 at 12:34 PM, Warfish said:

My take exactly. 

When players say this, the unspoken part at the end is "if they pay me what I think I'm worth i.e. the most in the NFL at my position".

You only want to get the best deal this is the last thing you say.  You want to at least test FA waters and get teams to start biding on you, driving the price up

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You only want to get the best deal this is the last thing you say.  You want to at least test FA waters and get teams to start biding on you

Naaa, I don't agree.

Saying it has no impact whatsoever on his value when/if he hits the FA market.  Players say this kind of stuff (as do GM's and Coaches, about players) all the time, it's literal PR and a message to the Jets (saying "pay me").  That's all.  

It could also be true, it's not mutually exclusive, but it's not something that a prospective team is going to look at if he hits FA and say "whoah, nope, can't look at him, HE wants to play for the Jets his whole career!  Lets look elsewhere!", lol.

Lets be real, do you really think teams won't bid on Sauce if he keeps playing well, because he said this?  I don't. :) 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Naaa, I don't agree.

Saying it has no impact whatsoever on his value when/if he hits the FA market.  Players say this kind of stuff (as do GM's and Coaches, about players) all the time, it's literal PR.  That's all. 

It could also be true, it's not mutually exclusive, but it's not something that a prospective team is going to look at if he hits FA and say "whoah, nope, can't look at him, HE wants to play for the Jets his whole career!  Lets look elsewhere!", lol.

Lets be real, do you really think teams won't bid on Sauce if he keeps playing well, because he said this?  I don't. :) 

Agreed that it's not going to impact teams going after him hard.  They understand money is obviously going to be a MAJOR factor. 

But on a related note, it's at least a positive barometer about how he currently feels about the organization.  Free agency is pretty far away to start public negotiations now.  

On the PR side, not sure I'd expect to hear the same from Garrett Wilson, who understandably might be in a different mindset after the fiasco at QB over the last couple of years.  "Last year was the worst year of my life."  LOL.  Also on either the PR or the preliminary negotiating side, I don't recall reading this from Bryce Huff a year ago or in the middle of the season..

At the end of the day, if the seemingly genuine sentiment holds, it might just mean that other teams will need to offer more to pry him loose ... something that isn't necessarily a bad thing for the Jets .... or Sauce.    

I love me some Sauce, BUT... 

If the Jets continue to run a 4-2-5, you don't need the most talented CB's.  You'd need the elite CB if you overload blitz with pressing CB's like Rex did.

Saleh's defense needs top tier defensive lineman, very fast LB's and wily DB's. 

I would not hamstring the budget on any CB unless Rex comes back.

Spend the big bucks on QB, OL and keep scouting WR's to get the best deals in the draft

1 hour ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

Breece isn’t someone you can easily replace

Sorry, I should clarify. I meant replacing RB in later rounds is easier than replacing wr or cb. Breece is one of the best damn backs out there, I don't want to call him "replaceable" either. Just thinking from a team building perspective overall

If breece could be had on a similar deal to, say, Saquon, maybe even with a little extra guaranteed money, I'd be thrilled for him to sign it asap. 

10 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

But on a related note, it's at least a positive barometer about how he currently feels about the organization.  Free agency is pretty far away to start public negotiations now.

He's not negotiating as a Free Agent.  He's sending a shot (albeit a kindly worded one) across the Jets Organizations bow because the Jets Organization has total control over him for a few more years.  We're the only ones who can pay him more in the relative short-term.

A shot that says "I want to be paid, and you get first dibs on stepping up and paying me".

On the PR side, not sure I'd expect to hear the same from Garrett Wilson, who understandably might be in a different mindset after the fiasco at QB over the last couple of years.  "Last year was the worst year of my life."  LOL.  Also on either the PR or the preliminary negotiating side, I don't recall reading this from Bryce Huff a year ago or in the middle of the season.

Bryce Huff is a nobody.  

Sauce Gardner is a cornerstone defensive player. 

You may not hear it from someone like Wilson because he may also just be a different kind of guy than Sauce.  Not all NFL players feel the need to make contract-related messaging public at all times.

At the end of the day, if the seemingly genuine sentiment holds, it might just mean that other teams will need to offer more to pry him loose ... something that isn't necessarily a bad thing for the Jets .... or Sauce.    

Whomever offers the most $$$, and to a lesser degree, the highest chance at a title, will get him in any theoretical open market Free Agency situation. 

No matter how often he says "he wants to be a Jet his whole career".

3 hours ago, Jdeet said:

Let’s hope the Jets want the same. 

We like to kill the Jets for their management ineptitude. But the best player at his position in the NFL, wants to be here forever. They must be doing something right. 

MEvis said the same. Hope Apple Sauce doesn’t turn into MeSauce

• Haha 2

I doubt hes tweeting that to get head start on an extension.  Negotions won't happen for at least another year and a half.  He probably means it. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Oh boy. Posturing already for next year's extension. 

Don't blame the guy, and I do believe he means it, but I'm starting to take these types of statements with the same grain of salt I take GM statements about "loving" or "wanting to keep" some guys lol. Hopefully this year goes great and we get sauce a nice extension next year.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Naaa, I don't agree.

Saying it has no impact whatsoever on his value when/if he hits the FA market.  Players say this kind of stuff (as do GM's and Coaches, about players) all the time, it's literal PR and a message to the Jets (saying "pay me").  That's all.  

I would bet it’s absolutely proven that in most cases FA returns more money.  Probably why most players facing FA gamble and test the waters.  For example each DL the Jets lost this off season.  Along with Mike Williams etc

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I’d like to see him record some interceptions 

I would like those who keep repeating that to try and open their minds to understanding Sauce cuts down half the field making it easier for others to get picks

6 hours ago, THE BARON said:

I love me some Sauce, BUT... 

If the Jets continue to run a 4-2-5, you don't need the most talented CB's.  You'd need the elite CB if you overload blitz with pressing CB's like Rex did.

Saleh's defense needs top tier defensive lineman, very fast LB's and wily DB's. 

I would not hamstring the budget on any CB unless Rex comes back.

Spend the big bucks on QB, OL and keep scouting WR's to get the best deals in the draft

Hear me out…Saleh won’t be running the team much longer.

10 hours ago, Jdeet said:

Let’s hope the Jets want the same. 

We like to kill the Jets for their management ineptitude. But the best player at his position in the NFL, wants to be here forever. They must be doing something right. 

10 hours ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Oh boy. Posturing already for next year's extension. 

Don't blame the guy, and I do believe he means it, but I'm starting to take these types of statements with the same grain of salt I take GM statements about "loving" or "wanting to keep" some guys lol. Hopefully this year goes great and we get sauce a nice extension next year.

10 hours ago, Maxta_p said:

He just wants a big contract. This is meaningless.

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

My take exactly. 

When players say this, the unspoken part at the end is "if they pay me what I think I'm worth i.e. the most in the NFL at my position".

9 hours ago, Larz said:

Can’t wait for the thread when he unfollows the jets on instagram next summer lol 

Reminds me of another CB that claimed he never wanted to leave the JETS and could have been more a a JETS legend if he wasn’t a greedy piece of Patriot (and Buc) trash.

IMG_4712.jpeg

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Tooooon said:

Hear me out…Saleh won’t be running the team much longer.

Not sure how much that will matter as far as being smart with contracts.  Remember, the Jets defense is getting along just fine now without Revis or any other player that insisted that the Jets skew the payroll for them.   Pay for performance, yes but never pay any player as if the entire team depended on one man unless that man is a proven, durable *elite* franchise QB with time left on the meter.  Ones like Mahomes, Josh, Herbert etc.,  The rest all have interim jobs including the coaches.  

23 hours ago, Warfish said:

My take exactly. 

Correct. He says it to curry favor with the fans to put pressure on Douglas.

That said I'm not worried. I think Sauce does want to be here, the Jets do want to keep him and they'll make him the highest paid CB in the league at some point.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, ECURB said:

Reminds me of another CB that claimed he never wanted to leave the JETS and could have been more a a JETS legend if he wasn’t a greedy piece of Patriot (and Buc) trash.

I mean, nothing Sauce has done warrants any comparison to Revis, who held out what, three times in 5 years? Revis made it clear he was a pure mercenary from day one.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, nothing Sauce has done warrants any comparison to Revis.....

Revis:  8 INT's, 1 TD, 33 PD's, 1 FF, 3 FR, 1 Sack, 146 Tackles, 2 TFL

Sauce:  2 INT's, 0 TD, 31 PD's, 1 FF, 0 FT, 0 Sack, 132 Tackles, 5 TFL

I know you mean "contract holdout" wise, but I thought a look at the two would be good, as I hadn't really comped the two prior.

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Revis:  8 INT's, 1 TD, 33 PD's, 1 FF, 3 FR, 1 Sack, 146 Tackles, 2 TFL

Sauce:  2 INT's, 0 TD, 31 PD's, 1 FF, 0 FT, 0 Sack, 132 Tackles, 5 TFL

I know you mean "contract holdout" wise, but I thought a look at the two would be good, as I hadn't really comped the two prior.

That's through two years?

I'd throw out that Sauce is a 2x First Team All-Pro, 2x Pro Bowler and DROY while Revis (at that point) was just a 1x Pro Bowler. (Revis' third year 2009 breakout is arguably the greatest CB season of all time, of course.)

But yeah, I just meant "contract holdout" wise.

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, nothing Sauce has done warrants any comparison to Revis, who held out what, three times in 5 years? Revis made it clear he was a pure mercenary from day one.

In fairness, as much as I was no fan of his holdout and talk of yet another, the first holdout was on Tannenbaum right after drafting him. Though up to 6 years was permitted back then, no one had forced a non-QB (well after the top 5-10 picks) into a 6-year rookie deal until then - or after then - to the best of my recollection. Worst of all is to end the holdout, he got Revis to sign a less team-friendly deal than he'd have otherwise signed, as the extra 6th year ended up getting torn up, and the 4th and 5th years along with it because he structured it to have that 4th year salary way down at $1MM or something, more or less encouraging a holdout at that time. 

Holdout #2 was at least indirectly related to holdout #1, though it's possible it would've happened anyway. We'll never know for sure.

Holdout #3 never happened. He talked about holding out that April iirc, but ultimately he couldn't because Tannenbaum put a major poison pill in there after the 2010 holdout. The poison pill would've automatically added 3 more seasons at just $5MM or something like that, turning Revis's 4-year redo deal from 2010 into a 7-year deal. Ended up tearing up his knee anyway, and then Tampa gave him a new contract after trading for him anyway. 

Anyway officially he held out twice, and one of the two was on Tannenbaum more than Revis. 

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Not sure how much that will matter as far as being smart with contracts.  Remember, the Jets defense is getting along just fine now without Revis or any other player that insisted that the Jets skew the payroll for them.   Pay for performance, yes but never pay any player as if the entire team depended on one man unless that man is a proven, durable *elite* franchise QB with time left on the meter.  Ones like Mahomes, Josh, Herbert etc.,  The rest all have interim jobs including the coaches.  

I hear ya. I was just making the point that not paying Sauce because of the current defensive alignment is shortsighted.  New coaches may come in and have Sauce follow the #1 WR around.  That seems likely to be honest.

Whole separate conversation if paying any CB a huge contract makes sense given salary cap constraints.

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2024 at 1:40 PM, The Crusher said:

Yep, it's not like they all say that right before they leave or anything. 

AAA duck.jpg

Well he wouldn’t be eligible to “leave” until after the 2026 season (with franchise tags beyond that) assuming the Jets pick up his 5th year option, which they absolutely will, unless he signs an extension, prior to.

So if you are choosing to look at this as a contract maneuver and not someone who actually likes it here and has always been blatantly honest and blunt, in his tweets, then you can choose to be miserable. 

I will choose to enjoy it. 

On 5/2/2024 at 4:39 PM, Matt39 said:

I’d like to see him record some interceptions 

I would like you to disappear somewhere in the swamps of Jersey. 

• Haha 1