Tua Absent From Off-season Activities - Contract

4 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

idk why but I thought he had better numbers last year - I thought he threw for like 35 TDs or something. That 70 point game threw me off. 

Dolphins actually sucked against any decent team. 

frustrated duck GIF by Cartoon Hangover

This was a long standing argument. Miami was dogsh*t against any good team. They beat all the bad teams and largely ran on a high off that 70 point game. They were an average team last year, at best.

I always wonder if Tyreek wished he made a different decision. Making a ton more money, so maybe not, but since leaving the Chiefs have won two superbowls.

• Upvote 2

It's easy to dump on Tua (and I LOVE to do it), but truthfully he has shown himself to be an NFL tier QB. Sure his athleticism and arm are nothing special but he has shown the processing power and recognition skills to lead a team. If a Jets QB threw for 29 TDs and over 4600 yards, would we still be hating on him this hard? Yeah, the phins didn't beat anyone important last year, but it feels pretty hard to blame that wholly on Tua. And say what you want about "system QBs", but with those stats, it feels more like the system needs to improve than Tua. Teams like the Lions and Niners are proof of that. 

If the phins have a question, it's got to be about the health side. Or Tua wants top 3 QB money. Because otherwise, in a league where Jared Goff is getting paid top 3 QB money (and a number of worse QBs are in the top 15), there's no doubt he at least deserves a raise. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

This is Daniel jones 2.0. Why on earth would Miami pay a guy that no other team would pay. 

All depends on the price tag. Danny Dimes is an ok QB. Paying him about $25M per year would have been fine. This would have allowed them to add another top weapon. Paying him $40M was crazy.

Tua is a very good QB with injury risk. But paying him $50M+ is crazy. Only Patrick Mahomes brings that level of value to the QB position.

A contract in the $40M range with injury protections makes sense. But his market will be way above that. So, I'm also expecting DJ 2.0.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Rogers said:

It's easy to dump on Tua (and I LOVE to do it), but truthfully he has shown himself to be an NFL tier QB. Sure his athleticism and arm are nothing special but he has shown the processing power and recognition skills to lead a team. If a Jets QB threw for 29 TDs and over 4600 yards, would we still be hating on him this hard? Yeah, the phins didn't beat anyone important last year, but it feels pretty hard to blame that wholly on Tua. And say what you want about "system QBs", but with those stats, it feels more like the system needs to improve than Tua. Teams like the Lions and Niners are proof of that. 

If the phins have a question, it's got to be about the health side. Or Tua wants top 3 QB money. Because otherwise, in a league where Jared Goff is getting paid top 3 QB money (and a number of worse QBs are in the top 15), there's no doubt he at least deserves a raise. 

Jared Goff has taken his teams to a super bowl and nfc championship game.

Hes 100xs better then tua.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

How many times have we heard about a guy missing VOLUNTARY workouts and nothing comes out of it?

Looking forward to Miami failing at every turn, but I don't think this is it... yet.

If it were the Jets starting QB you'd be real quick to talk about Jordan Travis starting games though.

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If it were the Jets starting QB you'd be real quick to talk about Jordan Travis starting games though.

Yeah, no, because voluntary camp reporting has nothing to do with regular season injuries

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Jared Goff has taken his teams to a super bowl and nfc championship game.

Hes 100xs better then tua.

He also took his team to a 3 point performance in said super bowl. His best season on paper was for the Rams, and it was VERY similar to the one Tua just had.

I suppose that did end with him getting traded, but then again the Lions seem happy with him. I would simply posit that those Rams and Lions teams had significantly better defenses and better overall coaching. As has been said many times, wins are not a QB stat, and I think Tua could manage a nice playoff run on a team like the current Lions or Niners too. Maybe someday we'll find out.

If you think Goff is better than Tua then I can't argue, it's more of a subjective argument than an objective one. But objectively, Tua is a good QB, better than many current starters and certainly better than anyone the Jets have had aside Packers retiree candidates.

The Dolphins are almost certainly giving him the big payday next offseason. Statistically he's been a top ten QB the past two years. A lot of that may be a function of the system but teams don't throw away that kind of production. Nobody really knows if another QB could step into the same system and perform as well or better. That's a lot of risk for Miami to find out they were wrong to let him go. 

Tua had pretty much the same performance as Cousins who just landed a $45mm/yr contract. Miami probably has to pay the same or a little more to keep him. You have crazy contracts out there like Jones, Murray and Carr in that range with nowhere near the production. If Miami won't pony up the cash, somebody else definitely will. Next year's QB draft class looks to be unimpressive, which will make him all the more valued if he tests free agency. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Rogers said:

He also took his team to a 3 point performance in said super bowl. His best season on paper was for the Rams, and it was VERY similar to the one Tua just had.

I suppose that did end with him getting traded, but then again the Lions seem happy with him. I would simply posit that those Rams and Lions teams had significantly better defenses and better overall coaching. As has been said many times, wins are not a QB stat, and I think Tua could manage a nice playoff run on a team like the current Lions or Niners too. Maybe someday we'll find out.

If you think Goff is better than Tua then I can't argue, it's more of a subjective argument than an objective one. But objectively, Tua is a good QB, better than many current starters and certainly better than anyone the Jets have had aside Packers retiree candidates.

How can tua manage a nice playoff run when hes never won a playoff game?

He could not put up more than 7 points in the playoffs last year.

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

A fifty TD passing season by Mike White in a Dolphins uni will be the final boss level achievement I’ll need to finally nuke @Larz and put an end to our decades-long barbarous war.  

We ain’t fighting, we’re finally talking!

let’s just say I’m not worried lol. 

• Haha 1