Trevor Lawrence Paid

7 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You can have Trevor Lawrence as the highest paid QB in the league or Aaron Rodgers as the 15th highest paid. Who you taking?

For 1 year, of course AR8.  

4 hours ago, slats said:

I’ve read some analytical nerd stuff referring to the first pick in the draft as its least valuable. The Jags had no choice but to take Lawrence. He plays okay. Now, primarily by virtue of his draft status, he’s the highest paid player in the league. He’s done nothing else to earn that kind of money, the Jags are just afraid of him leaving and being great somewhere else. 

Yep and if they let him go on w/out a contract extension, it's sending the wrong signals to the team/organization and plants seeds of doubt if they made the right choice.  Creating any doubt about whether they think he's good or not, isnt going to help a franchise like the Jags.  Lawrence is proper sh*tty but the team went + .500 in back to back seasons for the first time since the Jack Del Rio era (2004 - 2005).  The general consensus is that the Jags choked down the stretch because of their inability to play in the trenches, for some reason they dont talk about the sh*tty Lawrence and his turnovers and constantly missing Riley and how he's an absolute boneheaded who has no feel for the game.  He's not the problem, per the Jags.   It's odd but it's almost like the fanbase/team is trying to will him to be good but he's really sh*tty.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Aaron Rodgers axed $30 million guaranteed off his salary to come to this sh*tty team yet we suddenly hate him because his Achilles popped last year and he made a prior arrangement with Saleh and Douglas months ago to miss a two day minicamp, all the while participating in every practice beforehand…

This fanbase deserves every Zach Wilson that comes rolling down the pike.

They allow the very media they disdain to influence their every viewpoint.

This

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Testaverde9819 said:

I'm still pissed about that stupid rams win. Good Lord 

I'm still pissed we lost the Raiders game and a couple others so we wouldn't have drafted any QB that year.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, GangGreened said:

That’s crazy coin for a guy like Lawrence and eventually Tua.

If I’m Dak I’m looking to become the highest paid player ever. His numbers are actually slightly better than Mahomes over the last 50 games.

Anybody that gives Dak Prescott a big contract are a moron.     I’m  not paying that much to middle tier Qb who isn’t taking you anywhere.   Even Jerry  jones is seeing what fools gold is all about.    Last year said the same thing about Danny dimes.  Some even killed me for that, but those same people are now in the witness protection.( want to forget what they ever said).

QBs get paid a certain % of the current salary cap. Every year, the next top 10-12 qb who is eligible for a contract extension gets paid a little more. The numbers look insane, but the NFL salary cap is also insane. Give it a few seasons, this contract will be in the middle of the pack.

This is what the JAGS got for $275 million:

Trevor Lawrence Career Stats - NFL - ESPN

Lawrence has never had a season with QBR higher than 56.1.

A QBR of 50 is the NFL average.

He was the 16th rated passer among starting QB's in 2023 - exactly in the middle of the pack.

If you look at his full season statistics, he actually took a step back last season.

Not money well spent in my opinion, but hey, they're called the JAGS for a reason & this deal fits the bill.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Makes me glad we picked 2nd that year.  I'd rather fail miserably (Zach) and move on, vs pay big for what is likely mediocrity.

Yea...it would totally suck to have Trevor Lawrence as our QB right now

/s

10 minutes ago, peebag said:

Yea...it would totally suck to have Trevor Lawrence as our QB right now

/s

In 3 seasons, Trevor Lawrence has been an average starting QB and he actually regressed a bit last season.

If you look at his career NFL stats, there's nothing there that justifies the contract that the JAGS just gave him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

Anybody that gives Dak Prescott a big contract are a moron.     I’m  not paying that much to middle tier Qb who isn’t taking you anywhere.   Even jimmy jones is seeing what fools gold is all about.    Last year said the same thing about Danny dimes.  Some even killed me for that, but those same people are now in the witness protection.( want to forget what they ever said).

mr. mackey office GIF by South Park

Just now, PFSIKH said:

Why did he regress? 

His OL was in the bottom five of the league. 

Half his INTs came after he was injured.  

I would say at least 10 of the teams' QBs ahead of him in QBR would take him over their incumbent.  The names ahead of him:  Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, Herbert, Burrow and Hurts.  The last four have questions in their own right.  

I understand your reservation paying him that money given what he has done so far.  However, you have to look at what he has dealt with.   Plus, look at the list of top 10 paid QBs.  Until you get to Mahomes, they all have questions.

Plus that HAIR! Worth 65% of that contract right there! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Why did he regress? 

If you want me to break it down for you, he was worse in every statistical category last season.

In 2023, he had a lower completion percentage, threw for less yds & less TD's (-4).

He threw more INT's (+6) took more sacks (+8) and had a worse passer rating - he ranked 16th in the NFL last season in passer rating - right in the middle of the pack.

EDIT: I stand corrected, he ranked 22nd in the NFL in passer rating in 2023, that's squarely in the bottom half of the league.

NFL Passer Rating Leaders 2023 | StatMuse

It's right here in black & white:

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

It is getting so crazy that a Billy Beane style is going to emerge where you load up on other positions and try to win it all without a top QB.

I think what it does is make a team like the Jets look great.  We go ahead and draft a potentially good QB in Travis Jordan in the 4th round, instead of going "all in", and drafting another Qb in the first round, and eventually pay huge sums of money if the guy works out.

I would rather build a great team around a "quality" QB who could manage the team, and still go win a superbowl, instead of investing 1/3 of all your money in one player.  I would rather pay a good QB $25M, then pay a guy $55M, which is exactly what Lawrence is getting.  And Lawrence is not a "great" QB by any means.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Trevor plays through just about any injury.  That's why his stats were down last year.  Is it a guarantee he'll be great?  Of course not.  But in the NFL you don't really have the luxury of waiting in situations like this.  If you think you've got a shot at a potential FQB, you go all in.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Alka said:

I think what it does is make a team like the Jets look great.  We go ahead and draft a potentially good QB in Travis Jordan in the 4th round, instead of going "all in", and drafting another Qb in the first round, and eventually pay huge sums of money if the guy works out.

I would rather build a great team around a "quality" QB who could manage the team, and still go win a superbowl, instead of investing 1/3 of all your money in one player.  I would rather pay a good QB $25M, then pay a guy $55M, which is exactly what Lawrence is getting.  And Lawrence is not a "great" QB by any means.

but your assumption isn't correct unfortunately.   a good QB is going to cost 40MM , heck D Jones got $40MM.

I'd rather have Geno Smith at 25mm than murray at 45mm or jones at 40mm.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

If you want me to break it down for you, he was worse in every statistical category last season.

In 2023, he had a lower completion percentage, threw for less yds & less TD's (-4).

He threw more INT's (+6) took more sacks (+8) and had a worse passer rating - he ranked 16th in the NFL last season in passer rating - right in the middle of the pack.

EDIT: I stand corrected, he ranked 22nd in the NFL in passer rating in 2023, that's squarely in the bottom half of the league.

NFL Passer Rating Leaders 2023 | StatMuse

It's right here in black & white:

but why did he regress?

Jaguars might be thinking: We better pay Lawrence now otherwise risk getting the next Zach Wilson in some upcoming draft.  Lawrence ain't great by any stretch.  In fact, he's not that good really.  So far anyway. 

Maybe he will be in the future.