JD Declined Trade Down w/Rams From 10

• Barry McCockinner changed the title to JD Declined Trade Down w/Rams From 10
4 minutes ago, David Harris said:

IMG_3947.png

IMG_3948.png

Given that Fashanu was available it makes it harder to trade down. It was a really nice piece for this team as a high quality backup to an often injured starter this year and for the future.

That said I was pretty high on Adonai Mitchell and would have been really happy walking away from the first two rounds w/Fautanu & Mitchell.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I would have been tempted to take that because the Jets needed picks, but in this case you’re getting Fautanu or Brian Thomas instead of Olu, and Douglas probably takes Corley at 52 (he was rumored to have been trying to trade back up into R2 for him. So if you take Corley there, that leaves you at 72, which was kind of no-man’s land. Maybe they take Blake Corum at that spot? Or if they went with Brian Thomas at 19, they come back for Amegidije(sp) at 72?

This.

Corley may or may not be all that as a pro, but if he was trying to trade up for Corley anyway then he'd have taken him there and the effective net, for moving all the way down from #10 to #19, would've been #72. 

I'm sure we can look back at this and cherry-pick the guy we could've had instead at #19, plus better use of #52 than Corley, etc. -- but on draft day you don't have that luxury, and on each pick you have to bat 1.000 (if targeting 4 guys and 3 of them are good, you get no mostly-good credit if the one you took was the other one of the four, and it happens to the best of them quite often). 

You mentioned after this that he was swinging for doubles. Fine with me. He could've still hit a double at #19, but the chances are greater that he'd have popped it up to the catcher, too. 

There's also the hindsight optics that the player he got at #19 instead of #10 (turned out #11) would then be further added to the cost of getting Aaron Rodgers. 

Besides, he probably just would've taken another RB with that extra pick lol. 

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, bitonti said:

they did end up trading down to 11 FWIW 

if it went down this way they could have gotten Troy Fautanu but he's probably not a long term solution for LT 

They  rams wanted Brock Bowers that’s who they were trying to trade up for.

• Upvote 3

McVay is obsessed with the TE position and unlike maybe 28 of the 31 other teams in the league, he is actually intelligent enough to design plays to maximize a player with Bowers’ skill set.

Whatever attributes Bowers has would have pretty much died on the vine under Hackett and clueless Saleh.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Given that Fashanu was available it makes it harder to trade down. It was a really nice piece for this team as a high quality backup to an often injured starter this year and for the future.

That said I was pretty high on Adonai Mitchell and would have been really happy walking away from the first two rounds w/Fautanu & Mitchell.

Adonai is def more of a classic WR athlete than Corley. In the 1JD draft day edition I remember JD being ecstatic after the Colts took Adonai and not Corley, so Jets at least had him rated higher.

• Upvote 1

i'm thinking they would still need to address oline with the 19 pick.  there were some good oline players left but maybe not as good as the jets think olu is.  and then what of the 52 pick?  it sounds like corley is a good choice at 72 but would he still be the choice at 52.  maybe they double tap the oline with 19 and 52.  or they could trade back from 52 a few spots.  i wonder if there was any offer to get picks in next years draft instead of the 52 pick?

42 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

McVay is obsessed with the TE position and unlike maybe 28 of the 31 other teams in the league, he is actually intelligent enough to design plays to maximize a player with Bowers’ skill set.

Whatever attributes Bowers has would have pretty much died on the vine under Hackett and clueless Saleh.

Um…….our starting tight end had had 61 catches last year.  11th most catches by a tight end in 2023.

But you go keep the diseased narrative alive my friend.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Masterclass as usual by the best, young gm in the league.

Team Results

Year Tm Lg Job Title W L T W-L% W plyf L plyf Playoff Result
  Total   5 Years 27 56 0   0 0  
  New York Jets   2019-2023 27 56 0   0 0  
2019 New York Jets NFL General Manager 7 9 0 .438 0 0  
2020 New York Jets NFL General Manager 2 14 0 .125 0 0  
2021 New York Jets NFL General Manager 4 13 0 .235      
2022 New York Jets NFL General Manager 7 10 0 .412      
2023 New York Jets NFL General Manager 7 10 0 .412      

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Is that Mike LaFleur wearing an "MLF" hoodie?

image.thumb.png.fa03adaa6c0fdb5f52fedb82e8460af9.png

Yikes!  I would have done that deal for sure, grabbed B.Thomas at 19 and used 52 on T.

They must really like Olu.

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

There was always talk on here that "nobody wants to trade up".  Meanwhile this was the exact kind of trade that would've been tempting because we'd have recouped our 2nd rounder.  I still feel good about JD only trading down 1 spot and taking Olu though.  Having a LT in the fold that you think can be a long term solution is a foundational piece that you don't want to mess with.  

As was brought up above, the optics of that would've been worse, and the results about the same.

Optics = Rodgers ended up costing them their top 10 pick because they had to move down to almost pick 20 to recover the second pick he cost them.

Results = they would've taken Corley with that 2nd round pick.

Really they'd have saved their own pick #72 and that's about it, in exchange for dropping from #10 to #19. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Um…….our starting tight end had had 61 catches last year.  11th most catches by a tight end in 2023.

But you go keep the diseased narrative alive my friend.

Your starting te is average at best .   He’s no game changer. You had no weapons beside G Wilson - someone has to catch passes .  Why he was 11th .     The Raiders have two te’s that will be top five at their position.    Heck the Raiders have two Mackey awards best Te .( should be three M Mayer should won one over bowers one of those years.     The two are Brock Bowers, and third string Harrison Bryant .         You saw Cole Kelmet did in Luke Getsy  te friendly offense.     Cole Kelmet couldn’t hold Mayer or B Bowers jock strap as a te prospect. 

Thankyou. Joe Douglas for not making that trade - Raider nation thanks you from bottom of our hearts. 

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

JD did the right thing.

Well, we don't really know that as of right now.  lol

But I think what you're saying is that if JD loved Olu then it wasn't worth it to get a couple of extra picks but have it cost us the LT we coveted.