Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Will it tho

There are so many worse things that can and probably will happen to us because we're the gooddam Jets that this doesn't even phase me.

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Seriously?  I think they are both DPR and EDGE in name.  In fact, he was listed as DE in Philly.

He’s listed as OLB on football-reference.com and NFL.com.  
Im well aware that the line between OLB and OLB is thin but one of the two plays every down, plays the run and has been used in coverage.  The other only enters the game strictly on passing downs.  In actuality the two play more as the way one thinks the differences of the two positions would be determined. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Terrell Owens would not play for the Ravens. 

Lots of players have had their deal reworked after being traded.
Don’t know why it’s that hard to come up with names.   

Hes took quick to find a way to make the Jets the only team ever 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Lots of players have had their deal reworked after being traded.
Don’t know why it’s that hard to come up with names.   

Hes took quick to find a way to make the Jets the only team ever 

The Jets traded for a player after they offered him a new deal that he rejected. That has never happened before. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

The bottom line is, as usual, it's a bad look for the Jets.

While we can question what Reddick said to the Jets while the trade was manifesting, it was very well documented that Reddick wanted a new contract/extension from the Eagles prior to the trade.

There was really no reason to believe that his greediness would change, when he was traded here.

It makes the Jets front office look pretty incompetent - trading a 3rd round pick for a guy and then have him not show up to any off-season activities (OTA's/Mini-camp) and now have it drag into training camp, because of a contract issue that was largely known and reported on, before the trade took place..

There is no way to sugar-coat this, if it looks like sh!t and smells like sh!t.....well.....

Yes the Jets could use his talents, buts it’s also true that Reddick could use the 14.5 million he d be getting  this year, and having a good year will only help him get the contract he is looking for next year.   Don’t any of these guys remember how badly Leveon Bell screwed himself sitting out a year with the Steeler before taking a lesser contract with the Jets?

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The Jets traded for a player after they offered him a new deal that he rejected. That has never happened before. 

season 9 football GIF

Move those goalposts 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

season 9 football GIF

Move those goalposts 

What goalposts? You have yet to give an example of a player. TO was brought up from a deal 20 years ago and he never played a snap for Baltimore. So if that’s the example, then it’s a really bad one.

• Sympathy 2
  • More Ugh 1

The dude's getting fined $50k per day by not showing up to camp. He'll come to his senses & will join the team soon in a deal that works out well for both sides. Also the media is all over this story & as of now Reddick looks like he's at fault. He don't seem like a dude that wants bad publicity. 

7 hours ago, dbatesman said:

legit LOL’d at 

IMG_9894.jpeg.c066276ba8aa3097aa59b8242362d0bd.jpeg

Joe Douglas, with $6 mil in cap space, promised to give Reddick some as-yet unavailable money vis a vis some incentives that he can be clipped out of by Saleh’s weirdo rotations. But yes Jets were on the ball with this. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The issue is that they didn't know enough about Reddick to know he might bail on that agreement so he could leave the team and cosplay Kurosawa films on twitter.

This 100%

And while I can't substantiate this, I believe whole-heartedly, that this is exactly what happened.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

They came to a verbal agreement on a type of deal that they literally did several years ago for a guy in the same exact position. That's fine. The issue isn't that they did that. The issue is that they didn't know enough about Reddick to know he might bail on that agreement so he could leave the team to cosplay Kurosawa films on twitter.

Agree and would think this is the most logical explanation. My guess is Reddick was good but then had a conversation with his agent and is following his advice. Prob gets resolved within a week or two.

I know it does not fit the narrative of the Jets F everything up, JD is an idiot and Saleh does not have a clue but in this case I do think they handled this fine.

Let's let it play out

• Upvote 2

Clarity: The #Jets made Reddick an extension offer (a raise on $14.5 million) before the trade. They were given permission by #Eagles to talk to Reddick & his representatives. Reddick declined that offer -- he wanted more (was told when still with Eagles he wanted $25-$28 million APY). 

A more lucrative extension (up from NYJ previous offer, but not necessarily $25-$28m), would NOT come before the season. They could discuss that if Reddick performed (regular season games). They did not rule out an in-season extension. They did something similar with John Franklin-Myers in 2021. In the meantime, they could discuss an adjustment (not rip up) to his current deal. Example: Convert non-GTD to GTD, incentives, etc. 

Reddick was on board. I touched base with multiple sources inside the building who spoke with Reddick directly. He told them he would be there for the offseason program, minicamp and training camp. 

He then did not show up for any of that & maintained minimal contact with the organization. 

The Jets are not willing to trade or release Reddick if this persists. They've made that clear to him. They believe there is a path towards resolution, but they are not willing to discuss any contract adjustments until he shows up. Reddick doesn't want to show up until he has a new deal. 

Thus, the holdout. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Joe Douglas, with $6 mil in cap space, promised to give Reddick some as-yet unavailable money vis a vis some incentives that he can be clipped out of by Saleh’s weirdo rotations. But yes Jets were on the ball with this. 

Sorry bud. After he wrapped up his algebra homework, Nania did some thinking, and it turns out the Jets are exactly like the two teams that competed in the Super Bowl last year

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Sorry bud. After he wrapped up his algebra homework, Nania did some thinking, and it turns out the Jets are exactly like the two teams that competed in the Super Bowl last year

This would make some sense if the Chiefs had traded for Chris Jones last year. 

44 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

No.  I think he'll definitely play.

I think it was a dumb trade, but he'll play this year for sure.

sorry, didnt see the double "not not" in your post...

100% non-issue, he'll be his normal dominant self come season time.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

Clarity: The #Jets made Reddick an extension offer (a raise on $14.5 million) before the trade. They were given permission by #Eagles to talk to Reddick & his representatives. Reddick declined that offer -- he wanted more (was told when still with Eagles he wanted $25-$28 million APY). 

A more lucrative extension (up from NYJ previous offer, but not necessarily $25-$28m), would NOT come before the season. They could discuss that if Reddick performed (regular season games). They did not rule out an in-season extension. They did something similar with John Franklin-Myers in 2021. In the meantime, they could discuss an adjustment (not rip up) to his current deal. Example: Convert non-GTD to GTD, incentives, etc. 

Reddick was on board. I touched base with multiple sources inside the building who spoke with Reddick directly. He told them he would be there for the offseason program, minicamp and training camp. 

He then did not show up for any of that & maintained minimal contact with the organization. 

The Jets are not willing to trade or release Reddick if this persists. They've made that clear to him. They believe there is a path towards resolution, but they are not willing to discuss any contract adjustments until he shows up. Reddick doesn't want to show up until he has a new deal. 

Thus, the holdout. 

This is really the perfect storm.

The Jets seem to have been very reasonable with Reddick & he, in turn, is being a dickhead.

The thing that ticks me off more than anything, is that Reddick went back on his word.

He promised the team one thing and then did the exact opposite.

That's a character flaw and it doesn't sit well with me.

If you're not a man of your word, then you're a pile of hot, steaming garbage in my book.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I may be wrong, but if what I read from his contract is correct non guaranteed $$$ this season.

Just wait till September and cut him.

Sure someone will sign him but he will be useless for year 1 and probably get paid less.

Eat the 3rd rounder the Jets have done stupider things.

Don’t throw good money after bad.

Literal worst case scenario IMO and not that big a deal at all. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Larz said:

Thus, the holdout. 

Oh is that all? Haha, I thought we actually had something to worry about. 

12 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Agree and would think this is the most logical explanation. My guess is Reddick was good but then had a conversation with his agent and is following his advice. 

My guess is Reddick is from South Jersey and those people are weird as ****.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

This is really the perfect storm.

The Jets seem to have been very reasonable with Reddick & he, in turn, is being a dickhead.

The thing that ticks me off more than anything, is that Reddick went back on his word.

He promised the team one thing and then did the exact opposite.

That's a character flaw and it doesn't sit well with me.

If you're not a man of your word, then you're a pile of hot, steaming garbage in my book.

That’s if you believe the Jets version of things. He turned down a contract and then the Jets still traded for him. “We need to see him play first” sounds like complete BS. He’s a veteran player with double digit sacks every season. 

23 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

To be fair, we do NOT know what he / his agent told the jets before the trade.

We can only reasonably assume there was either (1) some form of miscommunication, (2) an outright lie from the player, or (3) a failed game of chess by JD/Saleh.

Unless Reddick outright lied about his intentions - he might have - another misplay from our leadership.  

No, it's management's fault.  They should all get fired.  We should hire a new GM, president, coaching staff, medical team, advertising agents, and concessions staff.  It's the only way!

• Haha 1

• slats changed the title to Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade