Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Sure, glad to... But when I (or others) say playoff caliber roster, I (we) don't need you correcting me (or others) everytime I  (we) say it because your opinion of the definition is different. 

Or calling us ridiculous or Homers because you think the definition is different in your mind. Other organizations outside of the Jets call this a playoff caliber roster... But it doesn't sit well with you and that's fine... 

I only took offense when you started calling me and others out as it differs in your mind. 

The NFL will have roughly 20 teams competing for a playoff spot on the last week of the season.   14 teams actually make the playoffs.  There's an argument to be made that 20 to 28 teams have an NFL playoff caliber roster when the season starts.

Coaching, schedule, injuries are likely to have more of an impact on which teams make the playoffs than the roster quality week 1.

The league is designed to create a league where almost every team has a playoff caliber roster.   At this point the term is irrelevant.

In this league right now 20 to 25 teams have a top 5 roster including the Jets.  The Jets also have a bottom 5 coaching staff and a field that tends to create above league average injuries (Ancetodotal I didn't look up stats).

Roster caliber is designed into the salary cap and draft position.  You can make an argument that if Douglas stuck to the chalk picks based on any number of scouting combines we would have a much better roster.   No Zach, Whirfs instead of Becton.  

Your a ridiculous homer because you get mad at people with a different POV and continue to do your dumb thumbs down.  Your user name is also a tell.  Your not a voice of reason your a voice with an opinion.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

You never defined core 😅

The Bills lost their #1 receiver but you said they still have a playoff caliber roster. So who exactly is this "core" made up of? The QB?

Ummmmm....

Correction; the Bills lost their #1 and #2 WR.  Gabe Davis is in Duuuuuvaalll!   But why stop their?

Starting Center, Mitch Morse is also in the greatest city in the country.

Starting Safeties, Jordan Poyer and Micha Hyde, see ya Buffalo! 

Starting CB, Tre'Davious White, peace out Bills Mafia! 

Starting Edge Rusher and team sack leader, Leonard Floyd, bye bye!!!! 

Yes, they still have the king of man boobs, Dion Dawkins, but to act like they have the same team that made the playoffs and won the division 4 straight years, is just silly talk. 

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, slats said:

Today is Judon’s 32nd birthday. It will be interesting to see if gets any more than Reddick’s scheduled $14.25M. Also interesting that Atlanta gave up more for him than the Jets gave up for Reddick (3rd in 2025 vs. a 3rd in 2026). 

Agreed @slats that's why I think this situation with Atlanta & Judon is worth watching.

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Sure, glad to... But when I (or others) say playoff caliber roster, I (we) don't need you correcting me (or others) everytime I  (we) say it because your opinion of the definition is different. 

Or calling us ridiculous or Homers because you think the definition is different in your mind. Other organizations outside of the Jets call this a playoff caliber roster... But it doesn't sit well with you and that's fine... 

I only took offense when you started calling me and others out as it differs in your mind. 

Par for the course lately.

um...  the term "playoff caliber" has no precise definition.  It's meaning is subjective, even arbitrary.  Looking at the history of the NFL playoff teams, you will find many different levels of talent that have made the playoffs.  I cannot believe that you are bickering over the meaning of this purposefully vague and ironically meaningless phrase.  

How about this as a substitute for "playoff" caliber: Best overall Jets roster in x years, decades (your choice).  There is every reason to be excited and optimistic.  Of course there will always be those who remind us not to get too hopeful as well. Thanks for that.  I guess.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Dcat said:

um...  the term "playoff caliber" has no precise definition.  It's meaning is subjective, even arbitrary.  Looking at the history of the NFL playoff teams, you will find many different levels of talent that have made the playoffs.  I cannot believe that you are bickering over the meaning of this purposefully vague and ironically meaningless phrase.  

How about this as a substitute for "playoff" caliber: Best overall Jets roster in x years, decades (your choice).  There is every reason to be excited and optimistic.  Of course there will always be those who remind us not to get too hopeful as well. Thanks for that.  I guess.

Okay, now let's fight over the definition of JAG! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

It depends on what the definition of "is" is.

7 hours ago, slats said:

Today is Judon’s 32nd birthday. It will be interesting to see if gets any more than Reddick’s scheduled $14.25M. Also interesting that Atlanta gave up more for him than the Jets gave up for Reddick (3rd in 2025 vs. a 3rd in 2026). 

Well it is a different situation in that, according to what I can see, Judon cashed a fat ($18M) signing bonus last year, so he's only due to earn $6.5M this season.  But his total contract value was just a bit over Reddick's at roughly $16.5M/year for 2 years plus a void year.  Still, players generally don't do a good job of remembering their signing bonus when valuing themselves against their current year's salary.  I can understand it but it's a bit disingenuous. ATL is tight on cap so we'll see how things work out there.

• Upvote 1

On 8/14/2024 at 3:39 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

Particularly in light of Reddick publicly (at a Jets presser, on camera) alluding to not holding out and giving his all for the Jets this year whether his contract is redone with an extension or not, this blame is chiefly on the team and not the player why exactly?

The Jets made a 2-year offer to Reddick in April and he turned it down. Whatever it was, it is unlikely to have been less than half of Danielle Hunter’s deal with zero guarantees.

The zero guarantees part of his current remaining contract is a red herring anyway:

The Jets were never cutting him. No one cuts a veteran of this caliber because he got injured in preseason of a current non-guaranteed season. That only happens with camp fodder / roster bubble guys. If they did otherwise, the difficulty in attracting new FAs would soar to new levels, aggregately costing them a whole lot more than Reddick’s remaining IR’d year, so it’s just not done, as Reddick and his agent of course know.

They reportedly did make such an attempt, after RFA tagging him with a 2nd round tender and no one else attempted to sign him.

He turned it down, choosing instead to risk injury in his pre-UFA year and bet on himself because the low contract he’d command off a then career-best 3.5 sack 2022 season wasn’t what he wanted. You can’t force a player to sign an extension.

Or what are you saying, that at the time you’d have offered him $15MM+/year for two fully guaranteed years coming off a 2022 season that got no other team interested in making any offer to Huff at any amount? I don’t recall you or anyone else saying so at the time.

Shortly after Huff turned down their offer, the Jets drafted McDonald. After that, they locked in bringing back Lawson by converting his $15MM non-guaranteed year to a $9MM guaranteed one.

Are you serious?

Rodgers didn’t request a trade from the Packers and then immediately hold out for the Jets starting with OTAs.

His contract inherited was just restructured by GB in April to move how the 2023 money would hit for him, but it was always a fake wink-wink/pre-trade restructure that everyone understood wouldn’t stay as is after getting traded, otherwise he’d have had a small hit in 2023 and a $100MM hit in 2024. That was the deal purely so the Jets wouldn’t be forced to immediately shuffle other players’ deals around to make Rodgers’ previous structure fit for them in 2023:

Then the actual “renegotiation” with Rodgers to fix that predesigned problem involved the QB taking LESS money. Moreover, that was also after the QB showed up to and participated in everything to that point in the offseason and training camp, which Reddick hasn’t done at all.

That is all aside from the obvious that there’s no serious comparison between picking up a (then) $50MM QB for 2-3 years and a $15MM DE for one year, and the comparatively lopsided compensation for each reflected that.

It “could have all been avoided” if you ignore what actually happened, I suppose.

Douglas has made his share of perfectly awful screw-ups, but none of these you listed are among them, my bother.

The only screw-up here was not banging out a Reddick agreement in writing before the trade, but - however incorrect that in retrospect - it seemed a formality as Reddick had already said (again, publicly) that he’d play even without getting the Hunter-type extension you outlined, before reneging on that agreement after the Jets traded JFM (perhaps believing then his leverage changed and the Jets would then flinch).

The douchebag in this whole story to date is Hassan Reddick.

;) 

You Sir…

This is for you!

This way even if you continue to disagree you have a more pleasant take from my side then me…
😊🙏

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The Jets have always had a playoff caliber roster in the offseason.  Every single one going back to the early 60's.

Absolutely. The ones screaming for everyone to be fired at the end of every season are the same lot attacking fans in August that are not predicting a championship.

• Post of the Week 2

On 8/15/2024 at 5:41 AM, ARodJetsFan said:

@The Voice of Reason

We've beaten this dead horse enough, it's nothing but ground-up dog food now.

I've stated my opinion quite clearly, on the difference between a "talented" roster and a "playoff" roster - you don't agree with it, which is perfectly fine.

There's no spin, angle, or twist that you can come up with, that's going to change that.

Let's move on, shall we?

It’s a ROSTER mate

a roster is literally on paper

on paper, is this team playoff caliber

coaching, injuries, and the like all influence whether that becomes a reality

but the ROSTER is playoff caliber, without having to actually make the playoffs first

• Upvote 1

On 8/15/2024 at 7:54 AM, The Voice of Reason said:

Which NFL teams have a "playoff caliber roster" where both the HC and GM contracts expire at the end of the year without being offered  extensions?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Absolutely. The ones screaming for everyone to be fired at the end of every season are the same lot attacking fans in August that are not predicting a championship.

Truer words were never spoken.

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1

4 minutes ago, Ghost said:

**** Reddick. He will show up on his own. 

My question is why JD hasn’t hammered a deal with Michael Carter yet? Did he not learn anything from the Huff situation. 

**** him, eh? Harsh words because a guy doesn’t like his job situation. 

JD bought a pig in a poke and didn’t protect himself adequately by hammering out at least a bandaid short-term extension with Reddick’s reps before the trade.

Every story doesn’t have a villain.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Which NFL teams have a "playoff caliber roster" where both the HC and GM contracts expire at the end of the year without being offered  extensions?

I love how different qualifications keep coming out... 

Again you can feel free to define it however you want.... But you don't need to be like @ARodJetsFanand call people Homers and that we are pom pom wavers for just using common terminology defining the talent on the team. 

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

What the actual ****

Are you really that uptight?

Take a breath & laugh....you'll feel better.

If I offended your morals somehow, hey my bad - but I think it's funny as hell.

Waiting for the thumbsdown from @The Voice of Reason @JiFtheOracle  & @Doggin94it who track all of my posts like little stalkers.....😆😆😆

Those 3 "basement buddies" never disappoint.

• WTF? 1

23 hours ago, Claymation said:

This is interesting - granted it’s always dangerous to read into things like this - but this wasn’t the ol’ “he’s gotta do what he’s gotta do for his family” line that most players say. 

Wonder if Reddick pissed off some in the locker room with this. 

Normally I’d side with players getting paid, and I’d expect other players do the same, but this situation appears different - and maybe the locker room agrees. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

-The Jets are steadfast in their stance: They will not cater to a player who has not yet played for them. Cornerbacks D.J. Reed and Michael Carter, two well-respected leaders within the locker room, want new contracts. Neither is holding out. The Jets realize the message it would send to the rest of the locker room if they extend Reddick, but not them. So they won’t do it. They’ve made this very clear.

This is the best argument I've seen to not getting this guy in camp.  Frankly, IMO, it's the only reason that makes any sense.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

This is interesting - granted it’s always dangerous to read into things like this - but this wasn’t the ol’ “he’s gotta do what he’s gotta do for his family” line that most players say. 

Wonder if Reddick pissed off some in the locker room with this. 

Normally I’d side with players getting paid, and I’d expect other players do the same, but this situation appears different - and maybe the locker room agrees. 

I don't think many in that locker room consider Reddick a teammate. He hasn't had any interaction with them in a team environment. It's almost like asking him about signing a UFA. "If we do, we will welcome him and if we don't, life goes on." In my opinion, Reddick doesn't have any one cheering him on in that locker room. He's a stranger.

• Upvote 3