August 6th camp tweets

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Isn't this one of those good news/bad news deals?  Our 2nd team TE is Ruckert.  If Sherwood is blanketing him, maybe Ruckert isn't the star in the making I've been promised.  Is Conklin really that big a step up?  If Sherwood were locking up Conklin should we be super impressed?

I'm getting nervous about Ruckert. Seems like he should be "flashing" way more than he has if he wants to live up to the hype of his Origin story.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Isn't this one of those good news/bad news deals?  Our 2nd team TE is Ruckert.  If Sherwood is blanketing him, maybe Ruckert isn't the star in the making I've been promised.  Is Conklin really that big a step up?  If Sherwood were locking up Conklin should we be super impressed?

Hard to say given the use of 2 TE looks. They may be referring to Yeboah/Kuntz. 

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

What happens to fine money? Just goes back into Woody's pocket? 

It's a good question, if this is any different than a fine for excessive celebration or helmet-to-helmet or things that occur in games. 

Such in-season fines go to charity, but the player will have been paid for that week. I don't know if these are handled differently, as this isn't a fine levied against his game check, but suspect it's the same. It's a fine, not a pay-suspension, and I think even suspended players I think have the $ hit the team's salary cap and goes to charity instead of the player (but I'm not sure on that).

My guess is the team would still pay Reddick, and then the fine amount probably gets docked from his next bonus or weekly game paycheck(s), so Woody doesn't get the money back and there's no salary cap credit. 

Admittedly, I'm just guessing here. Good question, though. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Hmmm, funny that the Head Coach and D-Co who produced the #4 and #3 Defenses the past two years don't seem to agree with you.

I wonder who is right, the Coaches who see these guys every day, or forum coordinators......

Sherwood is a FA this upcoming off season, the Jets are going to have make a decision. Mosely is 32 this year.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Hmmm, funny that the Head Coach and D-Co who produced the #4 and #3 Defenses the past two years don't seem to agree with you.

I wonder who is right, the Coaches who see these guys every day, or forum coordinators......

Screenshot_20240806_114346_Google.thumb.jpg.ed373bfe22edca0ef46939f76a014b58.jpg

• Post of the Week 1
  • Ugh 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Sherwood is a FA this upcoming off season, the Jets are going to have make a decision. Mosely is 32 this year.

Agreed, no question.  And it's likely that Mosely's time here is growing short.

But the Jets management are all lame ducks right now, dependent on a great year to get new contracts.  Saleh and JD both.

They're going to play Mosely, because they think he's the best option, no matter how much some fans dislike the guy or think he sucks now.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

Jets had some leverage renegotiating Mosley this off season, perhaps?

Time is done renegotiating Mosley and extending him into the future.  He’s on a 2 year deal after this last renegotiation and my hope is the Jets find a way to keep the much younger Sherwood as the starter of the future (provided his good play continues).

Unless you are talking pay cut if Mosley slows down this year.  We cannot lose an ascending player the team spent years developing for one who is nearing the end after his 2 year contact is up.  That’s not good business.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Agreed, no question.  And it's likely that Mosely's time here is growing short.

But the Jets management are all lame ducks right now, dependent on a great year to get new contracts.  Saleh and JD both.

They're going to play Mosely, because they think he's the best option, no matter how much some fans dislike the guy or think he sucks now.

Im not worried about this year, CJ will play as he gives this team the best chance.

As for JD and Saleh, JD built a solid roster, even the most jaded fan can see that. Saleh will be coaching for his career, but unlike Gase he has the talent to get this team to the playoffs.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

One of my annoying off on a tangent stories.......  This one re training camp fights.

I used to go to camp to watch my CFL team (Edmonton) each year.  I'd meet up with some buddies and we would basically do what people do here, give camp reports, who looked good who didn't etc.

We could get really close to the players and field and action.   One session a really nasty fight broke out on the field between a D and O lineman.  Not all that uncommon but the D line guy was crazy eyes pissed.  He storms off the field right near where we were standing, a bit of minor construction maintenance was going on just off of the field and there was a wheelbarrow with a shovel siting in it.  This guy grabs the shovel, runs back on the field and is swinging it like a battle axe.   He was just totally unhinged, for a while no one could get near the guy before some of the players grabbed him from behind.

Of course the next morning he was at the top of the transaction list as a cut.

Shhhh. Nobody's supposed to remember that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Jethead said:

I'm getting nervous about Ruckert. Seems like he should be "flashing" way more than he has if he wants to live up to the hype of his Origin story.

The Jets invest too many resources in these sorts of puff pieces before the player / coach / whoever has actually accomplished anything.

It's a trend dating back to Maccagnan getting off on drafting a player from Fort Hays State on day 2, 26-year old Nate Sheperd 😂

(But it seems like Stiggers might actually have a chance to be good.)

The players and the organization, to some degree at least, will always take on the personality of its HC.

I doubt the Jets media dept would be so focused on personal interest stories if, say, Parcells was the HC.

Saleh talks as if he thinks he's some kind of NFL Pep Guardiola, trying to "get these young men to be their best on and off the pitch".

The difference is Pep wins trophies wherever he goes and Saleh has done nothing but spout cliches and deny anything is ever a problem.

• WTF? 1

59 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Eh.  He's a blocker and a banger.  Not much speed.  No shock he isn't flashing in non-contact shorts and shells practice.  He is supposed to light people up when we try to get all smashmouth.  Don't want that against your own team.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's a good question, if this is any different than a fine for excessive celebration or helmet-to-helmet or things that occur in games. 

Such in-season fines go to charity, but the player will have been paid for that week. I don't know if these are handled differently, as this isn't a fine levied against his game check, but suspect it's the same. It's a fine, not a pay-suspension, and I think even suspended players I think have the $ hit the team's salary cap and goes to charity instead of the player (but I'm not sure on that).

My guess is the team would still pay Reddick, and then the fine amount probably gets docked from his next bonus or weekly game paycheck(s), so Woody doesn't get the money back and there's no salary cap credit. 

Admittedly, I'm just guessing here. Good question, though. 

Not really comparable to fines for a penalty. Those come from the league.

Now that I'm thinking more about it, I believe that at some point, I read that these kind of holdout fines go into a pool that is managed by the players' union pension fund? Does that ring a bell with anyone else too? Could have been a thing at some point, but no idea if it is still.

29 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Not really comparable to fines for a penalty. Those come from the league.

Now that I'm thinking more about it, I believe that at some point, I read that these kind of holdout fines go into a pool that is managed by the players' union pension fund? Does that ring a bell with anyone else too? Could have been a thing at some point, but no idea if it is still.

Yes they go to a charity fund for ex-NFL players iirc. Or at least - as you say - it used to be that way.

I think this is still a mandatory fine, so the league enforces it (hence the inability for a team to waive it off once they eventually agree to a redone contract). 

Again, I'm not sure about it and am guessing, but I think it's still a fine which is different than missing a game check. What'd be different is if he held out through week 1's game -- in that case, my guess is his forfeited game check wouldn't be a fine but rather just salary the team never pays, so that would go back to Woody/the team's cap.

1 hour ago, Jethead said:

Hasn't had much in the way of qb play the past few seasons...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I agree.

With that said, a failure to make the postseason this year, or worse, to have a winning record, is fatal.  No Owner would resign a GM for his 7th season having led 6 losing seasons and six playoff-free seasons.

People can hand-wave, but this year matters a ton for JD's future, not just Saleh's.

That's fair. But if this team has a winning record because of the strength of the roster and not the coaching, I can easily see JD surviving with Saleh being removed.

I do believe this is a playoff team in spite of the coaching.

• Upvote 2

On 8/6/2024 at 1:49 PM, NYJCAP2 said:

Jets had some leverage renegotiating Mosley this off season, perhaps?

On 8/6/2024 at 1:51 PM, Claymation said:

If I had my druthers, Mosely will be gone and Sherwood would be the starting Mike.

Sherwood, is being reported, is excelling at the moment in shoulder pads & hats ... The hitting hasn't started yet ... he was drafted as a 215lb safety & is currently listed as a 216lb LB ... have to see how he can handle banging with 300+ lb lineman for an extended period of time before he's "anointed" Anything, Especially the Mike position.  

I want him to 1 day take over but have to see how he handles the hitting first ... ps- he tore his achilles a few years back & it's obvious he has recovered fully from that which is great to see. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I love what Joe D is doing here.  This sets a great example for all players moving forward.  We will call your bluff.  We are not being pushed around.

Sets a great precedent for this franchise that we will not be squeezed for every dollar.

Bluff?

The guy has never set foot in the building.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Time is done renegotiating Mosley and extending him into the future.  He’s on a 2 year deal after this last renegotiation and my hope is the Jets find a way to keep the much younger Sherwood as the starter of the future (provided his good play continues).

Unless you are talking pay cut if Mosley slows down this year.  We cannot lose an ascending player the team spent years developing for one who is nearing the end after his 2 year contact is up.  That’s not good business.

I know this, that’s why I said had and perhaps. It is no longer the off season.

I also still think it was good to keep him, and not going forward.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yes they go to a charity fund for ex-NFL players iirc. Or at least - as you say - it used to be that way.

I think this is still a mandatory fine, so the league enforces it (hence the inability for a team to waive it off once they eventually agree to a redone contract). 

Again, I'm not sure about it and am guessing, but I think it's still a fine which is different than missing a game check. What'd be different is if he held out through week 1's game -- in that case, my guess is his forfeited game check wouldn't be a fine but rather just salary the team never pays, so that would go back to Woody/the team's cap.

There may be an opportunity here to do a Superman 3/Office Space type thing where we funnel NFL fines to an account 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NYJCAP2 said:

I know this, that’s why I said had and perhaps. It is no longer the off season.

I also still think it was good to keep him, and not going forward.

Keep Mosey?  Yeah, I was also happy they kept him this year but am on the fence about 2025.  Most losing teams keep aging veterans too long.  I really favored not extending him and simply asking for the pay cut.

Lets hope his athleticism doesn’t decline further and he can maintain the same level of play for the next 2 years.  And at the very least let’s give Sherwood a real shot of increased playing time this year and an opportunity to be part of our core beyond.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

I agree.

With that said, a failure to make the postseason this year, or worse, to have a winning record, is fatal.  No Owner would resign a GM for his 7th season having led 6 losing seasons and six playoff-free seasons.

People can hand-wave, but this year matters a ton for JD's future, not just Saleh's.

The benefit of firing jd and saleh would be that is would be a very desireable team to coach and gm  

still really would just need a qb