Francesa eviscerates Joe Douglas on Reddick

It's a very good listen.  From the 17 minute mark until the end is all Jets.

He's basically saying - the Jets may very well have the best roster in the NFL and have a chance to truly make a SB run.  

But the Reddick thing has been mismanaged.  It's basically what I've been saying.  This isn't the year to make a stand.  You made this move knowing he was going to want to get paid - so don't **** around - just pay the guy.  

This isn't the time to say we're so good we don't need him - being so good is precisely why you need him more.  As we all know - these types of teams don't come around often.    

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It's a very good listen.  From the 17 minute mark until the end is all Jets.

He's basically saying - the Jets may very well have the best roster in the NFL and have a chance to truly make a SB run.  

But the Reddick thing has been mismanaged.  It's basically what I've been saying.  This isn't the year to make a stand.  You made this move knowing he was going to want to get paid - so don't **** around - just pay the guy.  

This isn't the time to say we're so good we don't need him - being so good is precisely why you need him more.  As we all know - these types of teams don't come around often.    

to piggeyback on what @doitny is saying - look at Chase, Amon Ra, Peneii Sewell, even Joe Burrow last year.

After year 3, guys are getting paid or holding out to get paid. That's our big 4. 

I want Reddick here, I agree he'd be a big boon for this squad right now and increases the chances of a deep playoff run, but I'm not adding years/new money for a 29 year old that hasn't done anything for us when I've got those 4 contracts coming up. 

The compromise position is adding some money/incentives this year, and only this year, to get him to show up. I'm good with that.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, doitny said:

but we have no choice but to make a stand this year. our core 4 are going to get new contracts soon. how would you like if next year GW, Sause and JJ refuse to show up because they dont want to play on the 4th year of their contract. that they want a extension now? and all because they and their agents saw Reddick do it this year and have Joe cave and give him what he wants. Hall is in his last year next year. what if he wont show up unless he gets his money? 

we might have to eat this bullet this year so we dont have to eat 4 bullets next year with players way more important to this franchise than Reddick.

You always hear these players talk about how they don't get involved in other peoples money.

GW, Sauce and JJ are going to do what they believe is best for them.  They will or won't hold out because they believe it's in their best interest.  They're not going to make a decision about their career based on what Hassan Reddick did.  

Reddick is now on his fourth team in his eight year career (likely to be 5 in 9 next year) His path is not exactly one those guys will be modeling.

Every player's situation is different.  Reddick is a one year hired gun - they traded for him with the understanding that he wanted to be paid.  So pay him and get him on the field and support our legitimate Super Bowl run.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Y is everyone worked up about reddick? We literally have the best d line in the league with waves of pass rushers. He would be a nice addition but by no means is he the straw that stirs the drink

He literally has screwed and betrayed us so f him. i think this whole situation is a hoot and its refreshing to not be desperate for a positional player for once

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

to piggeyback on what @doitny is saying - look at Chase, Amon Ra, Peneii Sewell, even Joe Burrow last year.

After year 3, guys are getting paid or holding out to get paid. That's our big 4. 

I want Reddick here, I agree he'd be a big boon for this squad right now and increases the chances of a deep playoff run, but I'm not adding years/new money for a 29 year old that hasn't done anything for us when I've got those 4 contracts coming up. 

The compromise position is adding some money/incentives this year, and only this year, to get him to show up. I'm good with that.

I get it.  And I think this is fair.  But then what was Joe thinking at the time of the trade?

If the reports that Reddick was offered $22mm from Philly and told them he wouldn't play for that, the Jets knew this and traded for him - they had to know what they were getting into.  They had to have been prepared to get him close to what he was asking for - so I fall back to it's become a pissing match about wether he's in camp or not....

If that's the case then, to me, it's absurd.  If it's not about the money but more about "being here" I just don't think that's enough of a reason to let this keep going, not this year.  Suck it up and pay the guy.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

Regardless of what you think of Mike, he's over the target when it comes to Douglas' complete mishandling of the Reddick situation. Go to the 17:30 mark.

Ah, the sports 'journalist.'  A hack who doesn't have the chops to write, nor the talent to get a job as one of the people whom he 'eviscerates.' 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Y is everyone worked up about reddick?

Because he's good.

We literally have the best d line in the league with waves of pass rushers. He would be a nice addition but by no means is he the straw that stirs the drink

This team has a lot going for it and that is exactly why you need him.  If you really are thinking Super Bowl you want the most dominant roster you could possibly put on the field.  And Reddick is one of the top pass rushers in the game.  If he plays - he will almost certainly lead the team in sacks - that's not just a "nice addition"

He literally has screwed and betrayed us so f him. i think this whole situation is a hoot and its refreshing to not be desperate for a positional player for once

He's a hired gun.  Can't take this sh*t personally.  We should be more desperate than ever now because we're so loaded and playing with a 41 year old QB that doesn't have a lot of time left.  NOW IS THE TIME, give yourself the best chance you possibly can and don't leave a disruptive pass rusher home over ego.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Y is everyone worked up about reddick? We literally have the best d line in the league with waves of pass rushers. He would be a nice addition but by no means is he the straw that stirs the drink

Because we just lost a double digit sack guy in Huff

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I get it.  And I think this is fair.  But then what was Joe thinking at the time of the trade?

If the reports that Reddick was offered $22mm from Philly and told them he wouldn't play for that, the Jets knew this and traded for him - they had to know what they were getting into.  They had to have been prepared to get him close to what he was asking for - so I fall back to it's become a pissing match about wether he's in camp or not....

If that's the case then, to me, it's absurd.  If it's not about the money but more about "being here" I just don't think that's enough of a reason to let this keep going, not this year.  Suck it up and pay the guy.

I hear ya, I don't want to be in the unenviable position of having to defend this trade from a contractual/how-we-gonna-make-Reddick-play-for-us-when-he-won't-play-for-them standpoint. 

And I have no idea if Reddick lied or Joe D lied, or both? Douglas has lied before, but it also seems like Reddick said upon his arrival here that he was gonna show up without a new contract. 

This isn't even a Chase situation, where Ja'Marr is in on all the meetings and coaching up youngsters on the field, just refusing to suit-up himself.

The situation is rough right now, but call me an optimist, I kinda feel like it's going to get resolved this week? Reddick gonna get a slight pay bump this year, no new years and report. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I hear ya, I don't want to be in the unenviable position of having to defend this trade from a contractual/how-we-gonna-make-Reddick-play-for-us-when-he-won't-play-for-them standpoint. 

And I have no idea if Reddick lied or Joe D lied, or both? Douglas has lied before, but it also seems like Reddick said upon his arrival here that he was gonna show up without a new contract. 

This isn't even a Chase situation, where Ja'Marr is in on all the meetings and coaching up youngsters on the field, just refusing to suit-up himself.

The situation is rough right now, but call me an optimist, I kinda feel like it's going to get resolved this week? Reddick gonna get a slight pay bump this year, no new years and report. 

I hope you're right.

I'm giving Joe the benefit of the doubt here that he didn't trade for a guy that was going to hold out in Philly and think he would play for the Jets under the same circumstance.  I have to believe there was a number (money and years) they were close on...

And this really is about wether he's here or not, I do believe Reddick told them he would report and didn't - and that probably pissed off Joe.  Can't blame him.  

But for crying out loud - if that's really the reason they need to fix it.

I truly hope you're right and at some point this weekend the news comes out that they worked it out.  

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Saleh will account for 1-2 losses just via his decision making and lack of prep. We have seen this time and time again. This "golf" obsession you don't see in successful coaches.  He has more money than he needs and seems to not be driven by the desire to win a SB.

Think about it. The seahawk game New Year’s Day 2023 first play from scrimmage they give up a 95 yard run. 

the lions game where Saleh got out coached. Had two minutes to get a fg and ran out of time.

The Jax game on Thursday night where he was out coached. I can go on and on.

There are so many morons running the Jets that they can’t see this sh*t?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Because we just lost a double digit sack guy in Huff

i think JJ will match or even do better than Huffs 10 sacks.

and i think McDonald will match JJs 7 sacks so i think it will all even out in terms of sacks.

1 hour ago, BP said:

Think about it. The seahawk game New Year’s Day 2023 first play from scrimmage they give up a 95 yard run. 

the lions game where Saleh got out coached. Had two minutes to get a fg and ran out of time.

i remember 2 that Dan Campbell had and i dont watch every game the Lions play or i bet i would have more. there that one in Dallas i believe that cost him the Division and a home playoff game. i think the other was in the playoffs.

but he is considered a good HC. thats because he has a really good QB that can cover his mistakes.

its easy to think that stuff only happens to us because we dont watch every single play of every other team.  hell Belichek used to always make stupid calls but Brady always bailed him out. 

3 hours ago, BP said:

Yet this board is full of kool aid drinkers that defend Saleh.  JD’s roster looks solid this year BUT every year, a glaring weakness that kills. Last year, no back up QB, many years, poor OLINE etc.  With decent QB play, this team can make noise but cant afford poor decisions from Saleh, and history shows, he will. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Because he's good.

This team has a lot going for it and that is exactly why you need him.  If you really are thinking Super Bowl you want the most dominant roster you could possibly put on the field.  And Reddick is one of the top pass rushers in the game.  If he plays - he will almost certainly lead the team in sacks - that's not just a "nice addition"

He's a hired gun.  Can't take this sh*t personally.  We should be more desperate than ever now because we're so loaded and playing with a 41 year old QB that doesn't have a lot of time left.  NOW IS THE TIME, give yourself the best chance you possibly can and don't leave a disruptive pass rusher home over ego.

There used to be a small ice cream chain on long island that popped up when i was a kid.  Forget the name. They had this sunday called “the kitchen sink” and it was expensive and so huge almost nobody could finish it.

I feel like our d line is the kitchen sink and whining about reddick is like being bunmed that there wasnt  one more scoop of chocolate 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

There used to be a small ice cream chain on long island that popped up when i was a kid.  Forget the name. They had this sunday called “the kitchen sink” and it was expensive and so huge almost nobody could finish it.

I feel like our d line is the kitchen sink and whining about reddick is like being bunmed that there wasnt  one more scoop of chocolate 

I'm just not sure it's as good as you think it is.  

You guys make it seem like Douglas traded a 3rd round just for sh*ts and giggles.    They lost Huff and JFM, two of the three primary edges (the bulk of the reps)

Right now Clemmons is penciled in as the 3rd Edge.  That's a major drop off.  I'm talking about making a Super Bowl run with this team - big games are often won or loss by a single play.  Reddick is a legitimate disruptive player.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Yet this board is full of kool aid drinkers that defend Saleh.  JD’s roster looks solid this year BUT every year, a glaring weakness that kills. Last year, no back up QB, many years, poor OLINE etc.  With decent QB play, this team can make noise but cant afford poor decisions from Saleh, and history shows, he will. 

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth here. JD's roster looks great, but JD also had no plans for the OL, and back up QB. I want to see what the top coaches in the league would have done with Zach Wilson behind an awful OL. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Saleh will account for 1-2 losses just via his decision making and lack of prep. We have seen this time and time again. This "golf" obsession you don't see in successful coaches.  He has more money than he needs and seems to not be driven by the desire to win a SB.

Is it possible that Saleh thinks "low score wins"?

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth here. JD's roster looks great, but JD also had no plans for the OL, and back up QB. I want to see what the top coaches in the league would have done with Zach Wilson behind an awful OL. 

Thats the point… having a 41 year old QB, he stayed with Zach.  He didn’t see enough already?  

• Thumb Down 1

I wouldn't say this is a terrible take. He can have his opinion on the matter and viewing this as a bungled trade is fine, I'm not going to argue about it.

But this all hinges on how much the Jets value Reddick and whether or not they believe they really need him. Francesa is assuming that 100% they do. And that may be so. We won't know until the season starts. But clearly JD and the Jets DON'T believe they need Reddick so bad that they would fork over a long term deal. If JD didn't trade for Reddick as a necessary replacement for Huff. If this was an opportunity that came up for a high risk high reward trade to get a one year rental out of a top tier Pass Rusher. I have no issue with JD sticking to his guns. 

I would not be surprised at all if Reddick was never really in the plans. That McDonald was going to get an expanded role to fill in Huffs absence. That the goal this offseason was never really to focus on the D-line and adding pass rush but to improve the o-line and maximize offensive efficiency. 

I certainly understand what Francesa is saying about this being a stacked roster and having those elite playmakers like Reddick is what sets the team apart from playoff contenders to SB contenders. But he's reaching here, because the reality of the situation is that the Jets have an absolutely stacked D-line, Reddick is under contract, he has spent zero time with the team or in the facility (which at best shows bad faith and isn't going to endear you to your teammates), and regardless of his resume, until we see him play and produce in green and white, until this defense starts to struggle putting pressure on the QB (which so far they have looked outstanding), it's going to be hard to put high value on Reddick as a Jet. Its going to be hard to measure exactly what we're missing with him holding out.   

23 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

You guys ever notice how lately any news headline has to have a Super strong adjective attached like eviscerate, annihilate, destroyed, etc.

Eviscerate means to disembodied. Can't we just say so and so has contrary opinion?

"We'll say whatever will cause you to give us clicks!"

I’ve made is clear how much I dislike JD but this could end up being a great move still for a playoff run. Basically nothing counts against the cap and if he holds out until mid season when he has to return to reach FA next year, we only owe a fraction of his salary and he has to perform well for himself. I am hoping that was the original shrewd goal since it’s unheard of to trade for a holdout situation without a deal and there was no way to afford Reddick.

I always assumed this was a showcase year for him and that he accepted that Philly wasn’t giving him a deal. I don’t see why the jets couldn’t have given him some extra money this year or guaranteed his contract but even so, this may be a unique deal to get a top pass rusher for minimal cost when you need it most.

As much as I want to bash the fat man, I’m not sure that I can. It’s just a bizarre strategy but it may work out great for the Jets with minimal cost. Just let Reddick rot and get him mid season after he shoots himself in the foot like an ass until then. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Thats the point… having a 41 year old QB, he stayed with Zach.  He didn’t see enough already?  

Let me understand you here. It's Saleh's fault that JD kept Zach Wilson as the primary back up? No QB on the roster was 41 last year or any year Zach Wilson was QB. How is the abysmal QB and OL situation in ANY WAY Saleh's fault?

On 8/31/2024 at 10:00 AM, FidelioJet said:

You’re conflating situations by thinking you know things you don’t. It’s like explaining a complicated game to someone who only understands tic-tac-toe, but I’ll give it a try:

Playing out the year at $14-15MM, and then hitting free agency, isn’t automatically worse than signing a 3-year extension at $22MM unless you’re armed with more information than you have, including:

• Did that offer only extend beyond or also tear up and replace his $15MM 2024 season. A 3-year extension at $22MM may have been $66MM over 3 seasons or it may have been $81MM over 4 seasons.
  • How much would he have taken home this upcoming season?
  • How many years and how many millions were guaranteed?
  • How much was in the extension’s non-guaranteed year-3?
  • If y3 was at the team’s pleasure (not guaranteed), and it was a phony $30MM balloon year he’d never see, and the extension was an extension that didn’t mean tearing up his existing contract, then that $22MM offer is in effect two years at $18MM on top of his current deal, or a total effective deal of 3 years $51MM, which coincidentally is same contract offered to Huff.
  • If an extension they may have only guaranteed one year of that extension, on top of his 2024 $15MM season, and perhaps that’s why he outright turned it down. Playing out the year without that add-on is better for him.
  • Would he not rather play out the year at $15MM and then hit FA instead of locking himself into yet another under-market extension on top of it as his likely final big payday opportunity comes and goes?

The point is it’s unknown what any of the offer details were, but you’re myopically jumping to the extremely unlikely, best-light contract scenario of Philly offering to completely tear up his current deal and then giving him 3 years at $22MM apiece with $44MM fully guaranteed at signing, and treat it as though that’s some known fact.

Its enough already, ffs.

• Upvote 1