2022 Draft Class: Who are we keeping?

It never ceases to amaze how some just don’t appreciate the value of a player who takes away half the field for an opponent.  
It’s almost as if there isn’t a stat that kind of player is associated with there’s no perceived value.  

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, batman10023 said:

reddick did for the eagles i think.

How did he accomplish that?  Reddick wasn't drafted by the Eagles, and when he signed with them, he had never played for them before.  He had played for Carolina the year before he signed with the Eagles.  There's no way he could have given them a homegrown discount.

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

It never ceases to amaze how some just don’t appreciate the value of a player who takes away half the field for an opponent.  
It’s almost as if there isn’t a stat that kind of player is associated with there’s no perceived value.  

Except there are several stats associated with CB's. 

Disagreement on priorities =/= "no perceived value".  

On the contrary, Sauce has the most "perceived value" of these players, as he is worth the most of the trade market.

So even fans who would trade him know his high value, they may simply not prioritize his value as a player vs. the combined return in a trade and the value of other players we might choose to retain.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, varjet said:

I think you have to look at this in terms of AR8s likely tenure-we want to be competitive then.  

• JJ2-JD keeps drafting EDGE and finding them as UDFAs so he does not have to pay up for them.  JJ can sign an early extension for a discount, or can play out his contract.   If AR8 has two years at most, let him play under the 5th year option and then he walks while the Jets rebuild.
  • GW-he is someone we keep for the very long term. Sign him for hopefully a small discount a year early.
  • Sauce-love him, but we find guys in the pile.  2 firsts for him to use on the next QB is better value.
  • Breece-plays out his contract during the AR8 Era.  Then we walks for his big contract.  

JJ has been very lucky so far with his Edges.  No GM is going to consistently find them as UDFAs.  Edge is the most important position on D.  Letting him walk would be beyond dumb imo.

Thank God you're not the Jets' GM.  We finally get some really talented core players on the team, and you want to let 3 out of 4 of them walk or be traded.  SMH

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Claymation said:

If the Jets have a new GM, maybe 2.

If its still JD, the core 4 will be resigned.

I get that new GMs want to bring in their own players, but imo a new GM for the Jets would be an idiot to only keep 2 of the 4.  They will keep his team competitive. If he traded or let two of them walk in FA and then failed to adquately replace them, he'd look an incompetent idiot, the media would excoriate him, and the fanbase would want him fired.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Except there are several stats associated with CB's. 

Disagreement on priorities =/= "no perceived value".  

On the contrary, Sauce has the most "perceived value" of these players, as he is worth the most of the trade market.

So even fans who would trade him know his high value, they may simply not prioritize his value as a player vs. the combined return in a trade and the value of other players we might choose to retain.

Not that are recited like sacks, yards per etc.  

The end of your post is almost what I wrote, word for word.  Most don't appreciate his value, the value of a player who can shut down half the field.
There aren’t stats that most people are aware of that indicate this or are appreciated like other stats

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Sauces career is solidly on a HOF trajectory.  He’s going to be expensive, but considering his high intelligence and character he is basically a guy that will be associated with the best to ever play the position for generations 

Exactly, and he loves it here.  The Jets would be utter fools to trade a HOF-bound player, especially at one of the most important positions on a football team.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Keep all of the key guys. Thats what smart organizations do.

Thank you.  I can't believe some of the sh*t I'm seeing in this thread.  The guys advocating for letting 2 or 3 of them walk or be traded are the very guys who would be screaming bloody murder the year after because the Jets let them go.  Jets fans!  SMH

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Bronx said:

This early bird thread is to derail our focus from Reddick and Sperm Edwards is the greatest!!! OMG I love-love-love him!!!. 

Ahmad Gardner (CB, Cincinnati) - Round 1, No. 4 - Trade for two 1st round picks- Promising holdout candidate 2025. Could be traded for a couple of first round picks

Garrett Wilson (WR, Ohio State) - Round 1, No. 10 (from SEA)- 3-year extension @market value 

Jermaine Johnson II (DE, Florida State) - Round 1, No. 26 (from TEN)-3 year-year extension @home discount

Breece Hall (RB, Iowa State) - Round 2, No. 36 (from NYG)- Promising holdout candidate 2025  

Jeremy Ruckert (TE, Ohio State) - Round 3, No. 101 (from NO via PHI and TEN) TBD, he will most likely playout his contract 

This one is dedicated to @Green Ghost

So you want to trade a cb who has shown the ability to be a top percentile cb for 10 plus years for 2 players who might never make the roster or be marginal?

do we forget Wilson, Wilson, Pryor, coples, becton etc

Did you make those special brownies this past weekend?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

If Breece has the kind of season he’s capable of this year, I don’t hesitate to make him the highest paid RB in the league next winter. The depressed RB market is a blessing to a team with a top 1-2 in the entire league type back. A guy who was second in the NFL in yards from scrimmage last year on one of the league’s worst offenses. He’s a bargain basement value at $20M/year, especially when you consider that Wilson will be looking at $35M/year. 

MVP MVP MVP

15 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I get that new GMs want to bring in their on players, but imo a new GM for the Jets would be an idiot to only keep 2 of the 4.  They will keep his team competitive. If he traded or let two of them walk in FA and then failed to adquately replace them, he'd look an incompetent idiot, the media would excoriate him, and the fanbase would want him fired.

The fanbase is going to want the new GM fired even if he resigned all 4 of them. 

• Haha 3

Sauce and Garrett Wilson are the must-keeps.

Breece is great but unfortunately, the RB position is simply devalued at this point.  They won't break the bank for him.  I think he becomes the sacrifice for Cap purposes although they may franchise him.  Paying Breece the average of the Top 10 RBs for one season would seem like a no-brainer.

AVT needs to stay healthy but should be extended as the contracts of guys like Tyron Smith and Morgan Moses roll off the books and both Tippmann and Olu are on rookie deals.  AVT likely becomes the one big contract on the OLine.

JJ is a wild card.  If he takes another step this year and elevates to a true passrushing demon and looks like an perennial 10+ sack guy then the Jets need to find a way to keep him.  Sauce, Quinnen, JJ, and Quincy Williams are the keys to the defense IMO.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

- Sauce Gardner

- Garrett Wilson

- Maybe JJ

- Maybe MCII

- I could see Ruckert getting a little something to keep him here too.

I don’t expect Breece to be around much longer.  Depending on how this season goes and as the plan going forward becomes clearer (run it back vs re-tool), I think we may even see him traded next year.

I also believe there is an outside chance Sauce asks for a ludicrous amount of money when his time comes and we see him get traded down the road too, while that money gets thrown at JJ instead, possibly MCII as well, depending on how his situation works out.  Personally, I wouldn’t like that, but I could see it happening.

DJ Reed contract expiring; Kinlaw, Lazard, Williams expiring; Reddick; Moses & Tyron expiring; Salary cap going up next year (most likely) we have a lot of young players being developed…. we can keep Sauce, Hall & JJ. I’d let AVT walk (ugh! 1st rd. Guard). Let’s keep our core 4 and keep hitting on picks. If one needs to go… then unfortunately Hall due to positional value and depth.

You don’t let HOF level talent go… especially if we lose Ulbrich this offseason 

i would keep GW, and Sause. i like JJ so if he doesnt cost much i would but if Saleh is staying i trust he will be able to find another edge somewhere.

Hall is going to have to go. and keep in mind everyone Hall was a 2nd rd pick so next year is the last year of his contract. if he is to get traded for anything it will have to be at the end of the year.

and Joe knows this too. thats why he has drafted a RB in every draft he had. if one of those guys could be 75% of Hall we will be fine. remember QBs win in this league, not top RBs. and we just tried to win with Hall and crap QBs and it doesnt work.

we need to save money somewhere for our new FA QB. forget drafting a QB or you can kiss GW goodbye. he would be crazy to have another rookie QB hurt his career again. 

most likely try to trade for Cousins. yeah i know you all dream of drafting a FQB who can be the guy for 15 years but that has never worked for us and is hard to do. 

can you imagine trying to convince these guys to stay for 1st rd QB Joe Nobody. please stay guys, it was just his rookie year, he will be better. he makes throws that nobody can make..... yeah they heard that before....BYE!

• Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

If one needs to go… then unfortunately Hall due to positional value and depth.

NO!!!!!!!!!!

You sign him because of positional value. The RB position being underpaid makes superstar RBs tremendous values. This is a player who, coming off an ACL tear, was second in the NFL last year in yards from scrimmage on one of the league’s worst offenses. He averaged 4.5 ypc while his primary backup averaged 3.2. This is a special player, and he’s young. You can sign him to a four year extension and he’ll still only be 29 years old when it expires. As the only guy we’re talking about here who’s not a first round pick (no fifth year option), he’s the first guy I extend. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Not that are recited like sacks, yards per etc.  

INT’s?

The end of your post is almost what I wrote, word for word.  Most don't appreciate his value, the value of a player who can shut down half the field.
There aren’t stats that most people are aware of that indicate this or are appreciated like other stats

If there are no stats to indicate this, how do you know it’s happening?

Again, there are in fact stats,lol. It’s not magic.

i'm guessing they will exercise the fifth year options on wilson, sauce, and johnson and franchise hall.  much as sauce is a great corner, i don't think he figures as much in the jets current defensive scheme as he would in others so it's possible they take the trade.  the other odd man out will most likely be hall.  the shelf life for running backs just isn't that good but at the same time the rb market is pretty depressed so maybe he'll go for a three year deal.

• Sympathy 1

we all agree sauce is a heck of a player but do they need that type in their defensive scheme?  i don't think so.  sauce doesn't take away half of the field.  he plays his position as defined by saleh and ulrich.  remember they played two games without sauce last season and were successful.

• WTF? 1

22 minutes ago, slats said:

NO!!!!!!!!!!

You sign him because of positional value. The RB position being underpaid makes superstar RBs tremendous values. This is a player who, coming off an ACL tear, was second in the NFL last year in yards from scrimmage on one of the league’s worst offenses. He averaged 4.5 ypc while his primary backup averaged 3.2. This is a special player, and he’s young. You can sign him to a four year extension and he’ll still only be 29 years old when it expires. As the only guy we’re talking about here who’s not a first round pick (no fifth year option), he’s the first guy I extend. 

If Allen shows he is a capable back and can put up 80% of Hall’s APY, why pay $14-$16 million? 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, slats said:

NO!!!!!!!!!!

Yes - though McCaffrey's extension threatens that paradigm; if I'm Hall's agent, I'm negotiating off that 19M AAV

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

In all likelihood the new GM will be trading two of them to make a move for a QB.

There is no other way around it, unless you are banking on our current young QBs. Hey, you never know if these guys could develop into great players. 

• Upvote 1

Breece Hall and Christin McCaffrey are not running backs.  They are elite playmakers!

Hall, Wilson, and Sauce are all top priority re-signs next offseason.  You do not get rid of potential Hall of Famers at premium positions or elite playmakers that transcend a position in their Prime years.  

JJ comes next before 2026.  He’s at the very least a solid all round Edge that would be tough to replace.

I personally would like to see Carter II resigned now at $10M per year.  I think it’s 50/50 something gets done this season.  

—————————————————————-

The guys who are expendable are:

1. Guard AVT after 2025, replaced by future draft pick

2. LB Quincy Williams after 2025, replaced by Zaire Barnes or future draft pick

2. Edge Reddick (possibly sooner than later), replaced by the Mac(s) —Will, Takk, Braiden

3. WR Williams replaced by premium 2025 draft pick 

4. CB Reed after 2024 replaced by JBC or Stiggers

5. LT Smith after 2024 replaced by Fashanu

6. RT Moses after 2024 replaced by Warren

——————————————————-

The Jets will defer the vast majority of the cap hit past Rodgers accelerated dummy year (the year he retires).

Jets will very likely need to draft and develop a QB to afford an elite non QB roster.  I’d say 2025 draft would be smart timing and a 1st rounder should not be out of the question.  

4 hours ago, slats said:

If Breece has the kind of season he’s capable of this year, I don’t hesitate to make him the highest paid RB in the league next winter. The depressed RB market is a blessing to a team with a top 1-2 in the entire league type back. A guy who was second in the NFL in yards from scrimmage last year on one of the league’s worst offenses. He’s a bargain basement value at $20M/year, especially when you consider that Wilson will be looking at $35M/year. 

I agree 100%.  To me, it's a no-brainer, if he has the type of season that we all believe he will have.  Why others on this board think the Jets should let him walk, is beyond me.  

2 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Sauce is worth not one but two first round picks and Wilson is only worth one second round pick? Dafuq?! That makes no sense to me.

No one is trading away Sauce Gardner.  Just ridiculous.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1