Hot Take Alert: Pro Football is boring

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

As I wallow in sorrow of another crushing Jets loss, watching these MNF games, I’ve come to the realization that pro football is a boring product.

My beloved Iowa Hawkeyes have been the punch line(rightfully so) for many college football takes because of their complete lack of offense and conservative nature.  The thing is, like 15-20 nfl teams are in similar boats.  Unimaginative, ultra conservative and boring to watch.  

The NFL could never match that Bama/Georgia game from a sheer excitement or atmosphere stand point.  Not even close.

You may not be willing to admit it, but deep down you agree.

Absolutely.  There are way too many games like what we saw in the Jet game yesterday.  Could you imagine sitting through that if you didn't care about either team?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

As I wallow in sorrow of another crushing Jets loss, watching these MNF games, I’ve come to the realization that pro football is a boring product.

My beloved Iowa Hawkeyes have been the punch line(rightfully so) for many college football takes because of their complete lack of offense and conservative nature.  The thing is, like 15-20 nfl teams are in similar boats.  Unimaginative, ultra conservative and boring to watch.  

The NFL could never match that Bama/Georgia game from a sheer excitement or atmosphere stand point.  Not even close.

Honestly I just don't care anymore... The jets sucked the life out of football... I thought the jets were going to have an offense... All I see is a bunch of trash each week 

• Post of the Week 1

I would think the Vikings v. Packers game was pretty wild?

That said, you have a point.

The flip side is there is a reason for the phrase “any given Sunday” which makes the NFL’s parity intriguing.

No such thing as ‘any given Saturday’ when Texas is beating LA-Monroe by fifty…

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Grandy said:

Personally, my full attention is on the Mets right now. Been such an exhilarating ride and I adore the team.

I really think the quality of the NFL product has diminished, and it's part of the reason why my football enthusiasm is lower than usual even though we came into this season with the highest hopes in over a decade. I agree that college games, especially good rivalries are consistently better games. Refball is really hurting the NFL I think.

Fair point about the refs.  I think they have jumped the shark with player safety and it’s really hurting the product. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Fair point about the refs.  I think they have jumped the shark with player safety and it’s really hurting the product. 

The player safety thing was always going to be tricky. I think the on-field product was better before all the rules, but I definitely would rather a diminished product with less young men getting brain damage. I wish the technology existed for football to be played traditionally without head injuries but that seems fairytale. I'm just not sure how this issue gets resolved and it makes me doubt the NFL retaining king status over American sports.

15 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Has been for a few years now. I watch out of stubbornness and habit.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Probably not the best time to post this as you have an awesome lions/seahawks game going on.

• WTF? 1

Like how many of us have complained about the lack of starters playing in the preseason for the Jets, I wonder how many other teams are doing the same thing?  That, coupled with all of the changes to training camp in recent years, and I think we’re seeing the effect of players just not ready for the regular season to the extent that they were in years past.  Lots of sloppy football across the board it seems.

24 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Between Bama/GA and that abomination of a game yesterday, like 2 different sports. 

• Upvote 1

Totally agree. The game is choppy - stop and go/ too many adds/ too many penalties. It’s all about glitz and highlights - packaging the game. 

Though it will never happen- think how so much better it would be if the game had no ads or markedly less. Just get up to the line of scrimmage and continually play. No tv timeouts. Finish the game in 2 hours. 

most games are boring 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I think what changed the game for the worse was allowing OLinemen use their hands to hold onto jerseys. Before that they were only allowed to punch and use their arms and legs to offset lineman. The holding call was not much of a factor before that

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The last two seasons have been pretty bad. I guess those people on here who told me they wanted "defensive" football back are happy though..

• Upvote 1

It's a really bad product across the league right now.

On a more local level - with the Knicks, Rangers, Yankees, Mets, Devils, and Islanders being relevant right now, Woody Johnson is f*cked if this season goes the way I expect it to go.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

I think what changed the game for the worse was allowing OLinemen use their hands to hold onto jerseys. Before that they were only allowed to punch and use their arms and legs to offset lineman. The holding call was not much of a factor before that

They changed the rules to favor passing 20 years ago because Peyton Manning complained the patriots DBs held his receivers every play in the AFCG.  

Ofcourse this plus the endless enforcement of subjective PI calls has made the NFL kind of a joke.  In the past couple years teams decided to not play first string offensive players the entire preseason which means the first month of the regular season is a mess.