Joe Douglas was not in the room during Salehs firing

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

A quality OC in today's NFL is worth his weight in gold.

I mean look at Ben Johnson in Detroit.

The Jets had a competent OC in LaFleur and sacrificed him when things got to a point of no return between LaFleur and coddled Zach.

LaFleur was not fired because of Zach.

It's much worse.  He was fired because they wanted Rodgers and knew Hackett would give them a better chance of getting him.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

I doubt this is accurate but it could somehow lead you to believe that maybe Saleh wasn't really JD's top choice for HC.  Why else wouldn't he be in that room?  His absence could very well be Woody not making JD fire a guy that he really didn't want - Who Knows.  Either way, Sayonara Saleh.

Saleh blew JD away in HC interviews. 

2 minutes ago, Vader said:

Saleh blew JD away in HC interviews. 

Sadly Saleh has that conman all hat no cattle overpromise, underdeliver air about him. I wish JD was able to identify it from the getgo but somehow he wasn't. 

Saleh fooled a lot of Jet fans too early on. As soon as the team took the field though we saw what Saleh was

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, jetsruinedmylifeandhealth said:

Sadly Saleh has that conman all hat no cattle overpromise, underdeliver air about him. I wish JD was able to identify it from the getgo but somehow he wasn't. 

Saleh fooled a lot of Jet fans too early on. As soon as the team took the field though we saw what Saleh was

definitely reminds me of a McKinsey style consultant with all the catch words he just learned from the new Malcom Gladwell book

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiFtheOracle said:

What I'd really like to know is when/how they told JD they were going to fire Saleh?  Because...

On one hand, they're firing Saleh because they're not playing up to expectations, which could indicate they feel as though JD has done his job well and it's Saleh's fault the team sucks.

On the other, leaving JD out feels intentional as to send a message to him as well.  He hired Saleh, they fired Saleh and JD wasnt the one to deliver the news?  That feels like a, if Ulbrich doesnt turn it around, you're next message.

Leave it up to the Johnson's to do the right thing for once and show some balls, only to have an absolutely ass backward process about doing it.

Yeah absolutely this is odd, JD hired Saleh and was put in charge, Woody fires his handpicked coach over his head. Clearly you are no longer in charge Joe …how long before the ‘lame duck’ GM becomes a thing?

but yet if Ulbrich turns this around and the Jets make a playoff run, how do you then fire Douglass??…if anything it bolsters the argument that the talent was not the issue…..ass backwards indeed

I guess Woody is reverting to form.  After all, before JD, the HC and the GM both reported directly to Woody.  The way this team has been drifting the past few years I don't blame him to taking back control.  Sadly, Woody doesn't know how things ought to be run in the NFL either.  None the less......       

14 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I guess Woody is reverting to form.  After all, before JD, the HC and the GM both reported directly to Woody.  The way this team has been drifting the past few years I don't blame him to taking back control.  Sadly, Woody doesn't know how things ought to be run in the NFL either.  None the less......       

Why anyone expected the leopard to change his spots is beyond me.  It will always be Woody controlling both.  Until he is no longer owner.

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

The GM should be there. Bowing out of your responsibility because it's your friend is pretty pathetic. I have my criticisms about JD, but I seriously doubt he went and cried to be excused because he and Saleh were friends.

I see your point. It might not be friendship but when somebody's getting fired why would you have a crowd, it's a bit embarrassing you know, well for some anyway.

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Definitely one of the more significant details. 

Seems Woody is really taking the reins here which is hilarious. I think this makes trading for Adams or working anything out with Reddick less likely. Douglas would for sure do it now because he has nothing left to lose but Woody may be realising that he's been sold a bill of goods and is getting a head start on the cleanout early.

but....but...JD has a three year, six year plan!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Corn said:

I see your point. It might not be friendship but when somebody's getting fired why would you have a crowd, it's a bit embarrassing you know, well for some anyway.

They made a continued point that JD was his boss. It's unusual. This isn't like they went and got Carol from accounting to be there because she issues Saleh's paycheck.

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Guys - while it seems odd, don't forget that in the Jets' dysfunctional hierarchy, the head coach doesn't report to the GM. He reports to the owner. The GM and HC are considered equals both reporting directly to the owner.

That's why JD "wasn't in the room". I'm sure Woody told him he was going to do it before he notified Saleh.

They changed the org structure back when they let Maccagnan hire Gase.  JD was then later the one who hired Saleh.

This is simply an act of JD being so continually incompetent that it reached the point of higher levels feeling the need to now step in.  Hopefully that means it's just a counting down of the days until a full house-cleaning is done, short of any sort of miraculous turnaround.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

They changed the org structure back when they let Maccagnan hire Gase.  JD was then later the one who hired Saleh.

This is simply an act of JD being so continually incompetent that it reached the point of higher levels feeling the need to now step in.  Hopefully that means it's just a counting down of the days until a full house-cleaning is done, short of any sort of miraculous turnaround.

You're right. I see they announced that change in 2021. The question is did they really change it or did WJ undercut JD on this decision 

JD and the entire coaching staff are going this year.  They are working for their next jobs.  

Woody has no contractual way of keeping them.  All of their contracts have expired.  They will all run out of there so fast Woody’s head will spin.  

5 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Definitely one of the more significant details. 

Seems Woody is really taking the reins here which is hilarious. I think this makes trading for Adams or working anything out with Reddick less likely. Douglas would for sure do it now because he has nothing left to lose but Woody may be realising that he's been sold a bill of goods and is getting a head start on the cleanout early.

I Disagree with that premise 100%.

19 minutes ago, varjet said:

JD and the entire coaching staff are going this year.  They are working for their next jobs.  

Woody has no contractual way of keeping them.  All of their contracts have expired.  They will all run out of there so fast Woody’s head will spin.  

Ah yes, the classic "you can't fire me, I quit!" narrative.

4 hours ago, dr84 said:

Woody did this so he can tell if it's the coach or the whole operation including the FO.  If things continue to go south, Woody's cleaning house and we'll have a new GM.  If the Jets now can go on a little run, JD can say he built a good roster, it was the coach.  So, no doubt about it, JD's seat is just as hot right now.

It’s a fair point and a good argument but say that happens, do you then let JD play ANY role in selecting the new coach?….. I mean it’s not a great look to go in and say “phew, thank god we binned that hopeless idiot” while hoping nobody in the room thinks to ask “yeah, what kind of fool would have hired him in the first place”