lions rebuild

13 minutes ago, bitonti said:

if I ever got stuck in an elevator with Joe Douglas i would ask him one question and one question only: 

how could you not draft Penei Sewell?

and then he'd probably break me like a pretzel 

Yeah, OK buddy.  You'd be asking him if he's seen 80 for Brady.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, kmnj said:

the Lions rebuild has gone the way I had hoped ours would have gone and they are set up for the next 3-5 years.

Their gm really has done an amazing job 

they mixed in the perfect amount of vets with homegrown talent and hired a coach that the team would fight for.

I felt bad for Lions fans watching their star defensive stud break his leg.

I have been a jet fan for many decades but I like to see that a trash organization like the Lions can flip the switch on things  as it gives me hope that maybe one day the Jets can do the same.

PS I always wanted Glen to be one of our coaches-guy was a quality player that has a great work eithic

Was going to say, it helps a ton that the GM hits on his picks. Joe D has netted us 3-5 decent players in his tenure and we’re so desperate as fans we think that’s good enough. Imagine if he had even a 50/50 hit rate… we wouldn’t be in this mess.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

Goff would have been ran out of town here in 5 minutes 

for sure.  a thousand moving parts to a team.  like clockwork.  the jets cant get the even the most basic things correct, much less the fine tuning.  how is any qb going to work out in the midst of disfunction ???

They found a QB at the outset. They drafted well and focused on the trenches. Campbell was a good hire, but finding a good OC in Ben Johnson was more important. And Aaron Glenn is a damned good coach as well.

The drafting of Zach Wilson isn't what derailed the Jets rebuild. It was Saleh's and Douglas's stupid, stubborn decision to stick with Wilson way too long. Then came their desperate attempt to undo the damage with the disastrous Aaron Rodgers project.

57 minutes ago, jgb said:

Taking Becton over Wirfs triggered quite the rant from me draft night also. To take a project from Louisville who had to crash diet before the Combine over a stud from OL University under the best OL coach in college history. Unfathomable.

Becton had just failed a drug test as well, which teams were aware of. It was only weed but the red flag should’ve been his lack of discipline to stop, knowing that he would be tested. Douglas got duped by measurable's, then did it again with his next pick (Mims).  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Becton had just failed a drug test as well, which teams were aware of. It was only weed but the red flag should’ve been his lack of discipline to stop, knowing that he would be tested. Douglas got duped by measurable's, then did it again with his next pick (Mims).  

Yeah that combined with ballooning up to 400 pounds between January (when the college football season ended) and the Combine in March all pointed to a guy who was not "all in."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Likely because Saleh offered no actual X's & O's football philosophy during his interviews.  They were all just "go to bed better than you woke up, all gase no brake, be sure to drink your ovaltine" snake oil salesman garbage.

The Lions FO seems capable, meanwhile JD, CJ & Woody all fell for positive vibes only.

The more time that goes by the more I believe that Woody is behind most, if not all, the bad decisions. We change GMs, we change entire coaching staffs, and still this team makes bad decisions and goes nowhere. The only constant through all this is Woody, and he is the one person that can't be fired.

21 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

They found a QB at the outset. They drafted well and focused on the trenches. Campbell was a good hire, but finding a good OC in Ben Johnson was more important. And Aaron Glenn is a damned good coach as well.

The drafting of Zach Wilson isn't what derailed the Jets rebuild. It was Saleh's and Douglas's stupid, stubborn decision to stick with Wilson way too long. Then came their desperate attempt to undo the damage with the disastrous Aaron Rodgers project.

I dont think they stuck with Zach too long at all.  They gave him 2 years and then they replaced him.

When you make an investment, you have to give it some time.  I think they gave it the exact amount of time that was needed.

34 minutes ago, viffer said:

The more time that goes by the more I believe that Woody is behind most, if not all, the bad decisions. We change GMs, we change entire coaching staffs, and still this team makes bad decisions and goes nowhere. The only constant through all this is Woody, and he is the one person that can't be fired.

Woody didn't hire Saleh 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, kmnj said:

the Lions rebuild has gone the way I had hoped ours would have gone and they are set up for the next 3-5 years.

Their gm really has done an amazing job 

they mixed in the perfect amount of vets with homegrown talent and hired a coach that the team would fight for.

I felt bad for Lions fans watching their star defensive stud break his leg.

I have been a jet fan for many decades but I like to see that a trash organization like the Lions can flip the switch on things  as it gives me hope that maybe one day the Jets can do the same.

PS I always wanted Glen to be one of our coaches-guy was a quality player that has a great work eithic

There are many examples, perhaps even moreso Houston, they went from dog water to contender in about two years.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There are many examples, perhaps even moreso Houston, they went from dog water to contender in about two years.

Yup.  CJ Stroud and Jared Goff.  2 top 10 qbs.

Atlanta is another good example.  Went from one of the worst teams in the league to a contender with just one addition:  Kirk Cousins

We would be the same but we have qb whos scared to throw it more then 4 yards down the field.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

Dan Campbell goes 20-36 if he’s forced to start Zach Wilson for 3 years

2 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Likely because Saleh offered no actual X's & O's football philosophy during his interviews.  They were all just "go to bed better than you woke up, all gase no brake, be sure to drink your ovaltine" snake oil salesman garbage.

The Lions FO seems capable, meanwhile JD, CJ & Woody all fell for positive vibes only.

I remember there were reports that Detroit’s interview with Saleh was awful, and the one with Jax was not much better.