What are u listening to right now?

From one of the greatest live albums ever recorded, and which appear as much tamer versions with the Velvet Underground.   Guitar duo of Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter is beyond incendiary.   Both ridiculously good lead players who ghosted on early Alice Cooper records.  

If you are unfamiliar with Reed's Rock & Roll Animal album, I strongly recommend you give it a listen.   Every song soars with leads by Hunter and Wagner.  Both guys got fired because the audience was paying attention to them and not Lou.  lol

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

I am currently on a major David Bowie binge at work right now. 

I'll give you an interesting one:  Bowie plays acoustic guitar and sings backing vocals on Lou Reed's "Wagon Wheel".   You can hear Bowie and his long time guitarist Mick Ronson on most of the album, which they co-produced.  "Satellite of Love" is my favorite tune from that record.  You can hear Bowie's influence throughout.

On 11/21/2020 at 12:37 PM, munchmemory said:

From one of the greatest live albums ever recorded, and which appear as much tamer versions with the Velvet Underground.   Guitar duo of Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter is beyond incendiary.   Both ridiculously good lead players who ghosted on early Alice Cooper records.  

If you are unfamiliar with Reed's Rock & Roll Animal album, I strongly recommend you give it a listen.   Every song soars with leads by Hunter and Wagner.  Both guys got fired because the audience was paying attention to them and not Lou.  lol

I wore this album out to the bottom of the grooves. One of my all-time favorites.

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, JiF said:

My favorite jazz guitarists are Grant Green and Charlie Christian because Grant's tone and Christian's phrasing.  Grant's tone was incredible. But what I love about Wes Montgomery is his approach to soloing. Single note, chord voicings and then octaves.  It's a real "encyclopedia of technique" for guitar. So if you love hearing guitar it's akin to like a pure shooter in basketball.  Somebody who doesn't skip technique. 

See if you can get the "two fer" posthumous release Groove Brothers that came out on Milestone in '98.  The first half of the album is actually a long deleted record the Montgomery Brothers recorded for Fantasy.  And it contains some of his best and most unique recordings.  Songs like "Loverman" and "Monterey (D Natural) Blues."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

I loved watching Terence Hill/Bud Spencer films on US Cable when I was growing up.   The Trinity Films and then stuff like Watch Out, We're Mad! and Crime Busters.  I could never figure out how Terence Hill could eat that many beans without spontaneously exploding.  Sad that Bud is gone to the grand buffet in the sky. 

(BTW Sacred Reich are a great band.  But I was always more into Testament and Death Angel.  Can't beat that bay area thrash!)

• Upvote 1

Just discovered this nugget on YouTube of The Who's appearance on Shindig.  I recall watching the show but not seeing The Who specifically.  Just keep your eye on Keith Moon, who is so young and playing out of his mind fills.  And as one of the comments points out, he is actually employing the use of a high hat, which surprised me and all other Who/Moon fans.  I don't ever remember him having one in his kit.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

Shame it went past the 2 min. requirement prolly would have heard it on WCBS 101.1, in 72 oldies with cousin Brucie? on my moms car radio.  Nah, they didn't necessarily play that kinda funk, just Wild Cherry....? Lol. Awesome.

This one with Gerald Johnson's thumpin', funky bass line got me through HS driver's ed. which only had AM in the car.