The Case For Clemens

Maxman

I'll attack that jackass whenever I feel like it. I've been attacked unprovoked by him enough times. If you don't like it, ban me.

Thanks for the permission. But as outlined above, we are not going to ban you. What we are going to do...oh well. Nevermind. You will see.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here's the acid test for clemens;

take off the green colored lenses

imagine he plays for the seahawks

what do you think of him ?

I think the confidence/optimism for clemens is just wishful thinking by people with an emotional attachment to the JETS

I think the confidence/optimism for clemens is just wishful thinking by people with an emotional attachment to the JETS

heh. good post. if he played for any other team and the Jets traded for him everyone would think it was a bad joke.

I agree, and I also think that the Ratliff fans sufer from the same problem. The Favre fans probably do to.

Lets use your example. Lets say the Seahawks had our year last season.

Who would people think be the best option for the Seahawks..Favre, CLemens, or Ratliff?

Hey Mike -- remember like 8,000 times when I told you personal attacks were not allowed? Yeah, you chose to ignore that.

Moderators: Operation New Identity is now in effect.

Legal Disclaimer: JetNation owns all user names and can do with them as they see fit. That includes but is not limited to posting in a homosexual manner.

cool !

a hazing !

I agree, and I also think that the Ratliff fans sufer from the same problem. The Favre fans probably do to.

Lets use your example. Lets say the Seahawks had our year last season.

Who would people think be the best option for the Seahawks..Favre, CLemens, or Ratliff?

good point

I would have to say favre as much as it makes my stomach hurt

then clemens

then ratliff

Even if you just want to throw out the 2007 season, which I think is a big part of his problems, those practice and training camp stories have to be alarming. People can spin it however they want, but Chad pasted him in camp this year. The only reason you heard little stories of Clemens catching up at times was because the writers just needed something to write about. He was dreadful. And it doesnt seem like he got much better during this season.

I wouldnt hnd the reigns to Ratliff either. To me that is just as hasty as saying Clemens should have gotten the nod last season. Right now Ratliff reminds me a little of Derrick Anderson who isnt very good, but admittedly I dont think I have seen enough to make that comparison.

If those two and Ainge are the only options I say let them battle it out. If the Jets can not draft someone, and I dont know if there is even a good QB in the draft, my guess is we see at least 2 QBs start next year. Maybe 3 if all 3 make the team.

Jason did you witness this first hand? I know JMJ went to a few and he said both Chad and Clemens were awful. Good thing we are keeping baby Schott :rolleyes:

I guess it's OK for mods to abuse their power to **** with posters they have personal problems with too. Somehow that doesn't seem to bother you that much huh?

You asked me to neg rep you. and when I did you kept disabling your rep, so I keep turning it back on for you. I aim to please.

Disclaimer: madmike will never be banned. it's too much fun using him as a punching bag.

But how can that be? He knows so much more about football than the rest of us....

He's enlightened us with gems like

"We'll get lucky and Gholson will fall in our laps here" on draft day

and one of my favorites

"Chad Pennington is better than Drew Brees"

right along with Wes Welker having an all world year PROVED that angrymichael was right in saying that Welker sucks.

Timeless classics

madmike just sent me a pm asking to see my peepee...

what gives?

Yes that was definitely Madmike. That definitely wasn't me or any of the mods. Just wanted to clear that up.

Just to be safe please cc me on all pee pee responses going forward.

having that veteran back-up is way over rated IMO....To throw a Ratliff, Ainge or Clemens off the team for say a Brad Johnson or Vinny T has proven to not be any advantage at all...for all Herm's faults, I liked what he did with that young QB this year

Then keep all 3 on board AND bring in a veteran or a drafted QB into the mix. We had 4 QB's on the roster this season, whose to say we can't do the same next year?

Jason did you witness this first hand? I know JMJ went to a few and he said both Chad and Clemens were awful. Good thing we are keeping baby Schott :rolleyes:

No I didnt go to any of the practices this year. Im just going by things I read and heard or listened to in the scrimmage, and a few thoughts from some folks who were there for just about everything. The vibe I got was that it was a competition in name only and that very early on it was pretty much a given who was the starting QB for the team. Im not sure too many people there said Chad was ever awful. Chad was just Chad. I remember JMJ was pretty harsh on both of them when he was there for something like a week or two, but I think Chad sucking was just his usual self or at least how most of us viewed him. Clemens basically had one pass of merit all camp---a nice seam route to Dustin Keller(it may have been in the scrimmage) where everyone went nuts about how Chad could never make that throw. The rest of the time the ball was in the hands of the defenders or on the ground.

Im not a huge Clemens supporter but I dont think this would have happenned if they hadnt brought him in to QB the team in 2007. I think mentally it wrecked him. He got progressively worse each week and this year could not even look respectable in the preseason.

Then keep all 3 on board AND bring in a veteran or a drafted QB into the mix. We had 4 QB's on the roster this season, whose to say we can't do the same next year?

that would mean the draftee or Ainge would have to be put on the PS....why risk losing a draftee that way...

Max being on record in Congress would go over about the same as Roger "Clemens" being on record at Congress

Hey that isn't fair. I would never lie to Congress. You guys I don't have a problem lying to.

Big difference.

Some entertaining stuff. So what really happened to madmike?

Back to the thread topic, it is not in the Jets financial interest for Clemens to win the starting job in 2009.

Clemens is an UFA after the 2009 season. Thus, if Clemens wins the starting job and plays well, the Jets will either be forced to sign him long term based on only 1 good season (see how that blew up in Cleveland's face with Anderson) or franchise him which will take up a big chuck of the 2010 cap.

For the Jets financial future, the best situation is to extend Ratliff now on favorable terms before the 2009 starts (that option would not be viable for Clemens because he would seek more than Ratliff) and have Ratliff win the starting job.

This way, Ratliff would be the starter on a favorable contract and Clemens could walk after 2009 or sign at a more cap friendly deal.

Now, if Clemens wants to sign an extension before the season on Jet-favorable terms (I don't think he'd do it and it would be smart from his agent's vantage point), I am not against it. But I'm thinking Clemens would want to take the Derek Anderson route of winning the starting job and hit it big with an extension or franchising.

Archived