The Official Shonn Greene / Play This Beast Thread

jaspegs

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I mean boobs as in "idiot posters." You know, "boobs." ;)

That's what I thought you said. I didn't want the opportunity to call moron posters "boobs" taken away from the JetNation faithful, a God-give right, in my book. I'm glad you saw the error of your ways. Thanks for your clear and concise explanation.

He remind me of Lenwhale, just in better shape. If you remember, Lenwhale was an absolute beast in college, who I thought would have a better pro-career than Bush. That may turn out to be false, but I think he's not only a fantastic compliment to leon, but a very good back by himself.

Rex was just on espn talking about the draft and how they fell in love with Sanchez etc. But when asked about Green he said that Green was by far and away the highest player still on their draft board so it was a no-brainer that they were gonna go get this guy.

I would imagine that this was something they were thinking about all night, so I'm pretty sure they wanted this guy badly.

Also, my favorite new Rex saying....Ground and Pound

Rex was just on espn talking about the draft and how they fell in love with Sanchez etc. But when asked about Green he said that Green was by far and away the highest player still on their draft board so it was a no-brainer that they were gonna go get this guy.

I would imagine that this was something they were thinking about all night, so I'm pretty sure they wanted this guy badly.

Also, my favorite new Rex saying....Ground and Pound

I love him as a player. I just hate we gave up our great 4th round pick. Now we don't draft anone until the 6th round.

I love him as a player. I just hate we gave up our great 4th round pick. Now we don't draft anone until the 6th round.

Ya, I definitely understand, but the only thing I can see is that they had all night and after the draft to analyze who they want. They had the time to see if taking Green trumps getting someone at 3.12 and our 4th rounder and apparently to them it did. Here's to hoping it works out!

Ya, I definitely understand, but the only thing I can see is that they had all night and after the draft to analyze who they want. They had the time to see if taking Green trumps getting someone at 3.12 and our 4th rounder and apparently to them it did. Here's to hoping it works out!

:cheers:

Reading all those negatives in Kentucky Jet's leadoff post doesn't make me think this is a good pick.

No speed, no burst, can't get outside, no hands, not a good blocker. Roger Vick all over again, except we waited till the third round (but did trade up).

Maybe he'll be a good special teamer.

LenDale White weights about 10 more pounds than this guy. I'm glad we have a RB like this now.

It was a tad less than 10 pounds, but the difference is negligible, however, Green is also about ~3 inches shorter, which makes him much more compact. Not to mention his weight, is good weight, he's solid muscle, whereas Lenwhale was a bit on the soft side.

Giants only had to give up a 5th to swap thirds with a division rival.

GO JETS!

Giants moved up 6 slots from the bottom of round 3 (#91) to the mid-bottom of round 3 (#85). On paper the value of that move pick #156.

Jets moved up 11 slots from the middle of round 3 (#76) to the first pick in round 3 (#65). On paper the value of that move is pick #119-120. We traded picks #115 and #228 (which has virtually no trade value). We overpaid by a little, but not ridiculously so. Technically, we overpaid value-wise by two late 7th round picks.

Giants moved up 6 slots from the bottom of round 3 (#91) to the mid-bottom of round 3 (#85). On paper the value of that move pick #156.

Jets moved up 11 slots from the middle of round 3 (#76) to the first pick in round 3 (#65). On paper the value of that move is pick #119-120. We traded picks #115 and #228 (which has virtually no trade value). We overpaid by a little, but not ridiculously so. Technically, we overpaid value-wise by two late 7th round picks.

Just curious how the Jets will fill in the gaps (TE, DE, WR). I feel better after hearing Ryan say Green was the highest on their board by a long shot, but giving up the last quality pick (the 4th) to get there is too much IMO, regardless of the value chart numbers.

Updated: October 31, 2008, 3:03 AM ET

Iowa's RB Shonn Greene rumbles into Heisman race

Email Print Share

Associated Press

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The nation's most unlikely Heisman Trophy candidate spent last season hauling couches and mattresses for a furniture store down the road from Kinnick Stadium.

Iowa running back Shonn Greene wasn't breaking his back for the workout. He needed the money.

Greene had lost his free ride with the Hawkeyes because he wasn't cutting it in the classroom, landing at nearby Kirkwood Community College -- which didn't even have a football team -- so he could get his academics straightened out. Since rent and tuition weren't going to pay themselves, Greene decided to put his 5-foot-11, 235-pound frame to good use.

It was there that Greene realized that he'd much rather bowl over opposing linebackers than load Lay-Z-Boys into minivans.

"It wasn't a pleasant feeling. It motivated me," Greene said. "It was something I had to do to get back to school and get back to playing."

The rest of the Big Ten wishes he hadn't.

Greene, a 23-year old junior who had just 69 carries in his first two seasons, has blossomed into one of the nation's top running backs.

He's rushed for at least 100 yards in eight straight games, becoming the first Iowa player to do so, and he ranks third in the nation with 144.2 yards per game.

Greene has done it all with remarkable consistency. He's averaged 6.5 yards per carry against non-conference opponents and 6.5 yards per carry in Big Ten play, a total good for second-best in the country.

"He's big, strong and powerful, and he's faster than you think," Iowa offensive coordinator Ken O'Keefe said.

Greene started to get noticed when he outplayed Pittsburgh's LeSean McCoy and Michigan State's Javon Ringer in head-to-head matchups. But it was his performance against Wisconsin on Oct. 18 that put him on most people's Heisman radar.

Greene rushed for 217 yards and four touchdowns in a 38-16 win, including a 34-yard score that served as a textbook example of Greene's power, speed and footwork.

Green snuck through a pair of holes at the line, juked a defender out of his shoes in the open field, shook off another from behind like he wasn't even there, used a cutback to get past a third and sprinted past a fourth for the score.

"We told Shonn before he went out there, 'We're going to run this play, and you're probably going to have to make the last five guys miss.' He said he was fine with that," O'Keefe joked. "It was pretty special."

The Hawkeyes (5-3, 2-2 Big Ten) have needed every bit of Greene's dazzling play.

While Greene was working to get back into the program, Iowa's offense couldn't get out of its own way. The Hawkeyes finished 92nd in the nation in rushing offense and No. 94 in passing offense in 2007, en route to a disappointing 6-6 record.

Iowa's coaching staff spent the first four games of this season deciding between quarterbacks Ricky Stanzi and Jake Christensen. They eventually went with Stanzi, a sophomore, and figured they'd have to take their lumps with a young quarterback.

With defenses worried about Greene, Stanzi's life has become much easier. Iowa lost its first two games after naming Stanzi the starter -- including a 22-17 home defeat to Northwestern in which Greene missed much of the fourth quarter with a head injury -- but the Hawkeyes have come alive the past two weeks.

Iowa, which plays at Illinois on Saturday, scored 83 points in wins at Indiana and over the Badgers, climbing out of the Big Ten cellar and reviving hopes of a strong bowl bid.

I don't think they lean on me, or put the pressure on me," Greene said. "I take great pride that they count on me."

Greene is reticent to boast of his own accomplishments or even talk about the Heisman, but Iowa's student body isn't. They've started a movement to make Iowa's home game at No. 3 Penn State on Nov. 8 a "Greene Out" in hopes of getting the word out about Greene, complete with a Facebook group that already has nearly 4,000 members.

Don't expect the Hawkeyes to launch a cheesy publicity campaign for Greene, because that's just not coach Kirk Ferentz's way.

But if Greene keeps it up, they figure they won't have to.

"I don't think that's his goal when he plays. He's just out there trying to be as good a football player as he can be and help our team, and his attitude has been outstanding," Ferentz said. "Anyone who has seen him play knows that the numbers speak for themselves."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index

-----------------------------------------------------

They stole this guy! Awesome pick.

Ryn knows the talent in the draft is so - so.

Thats why you move up on day 2 and grab Sanchez.

There is always more talent at the top of the draft. We traded that first-day pick in the second round. We filled 0 imminent needs. We got no depth...

More picks = more chances to strike lightning.

The Pats have it right. Trade down. Stockpile picks, give yourself some options.

Giants only had to give up a 5th to swap thirds with a division rival.

GO JETS!

The JETS were one pick away from a 2nd rounder... big difference... the talent starts to change dramatically mid to late in the 3rd...

Reading all those negatives in Kentucky Jet's leadoff post doesn't make me think this is a good pick.

No speed, no burst, can't get outside, no hands, not a good blocker. Roger Vick all over again, except we waited till the third round (but did trade up).

oh yea? go do a little YouTube research NCJF....you too will be very impressed I promise

I'm fairly certain that's from Scott Wright's NFLDC. If ya know Scott, he's a professional and will analyze everyone fully, as well he should. He will have a list of negatives on just about everyone, so take that with a grain of salt.

Just curious how the Jets will fill in the gaps (TE, DE, WR). I feel better after hearing Ryan say Green was the highest on their board by a long shot, but giving up the last quality pick (the 4th) to get there is too much IMO, regardless of the value chart numbers.

It's a quality pick in only in theory. In reality you're talking about a bottom-half 4th round pick in a weak draft. Low probability of getting a quality player. There will be a couple when you look at the draft in hindsight in 2-4 years, but if anyone truly knew who they were going to be they would have been 2nd round picks.

At least if they're making that trade it's for a guy who's going to touch the football an awful lot. And we BADLY needed a back with some power.

Archived