Breaking: Revis sitting out OTA's because of contract

rick34125

You wouldn't work with them again? Would you feel all warm and fuzzy if you were fired because it "protected you because you are free to make a deal elsewhere for your true value"?

If you aren't worth what you're getting paid the clock is ticking, you will be found out and you're essentially toast. Warm and Fuzzy has little to do with value.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you aren't worth what you're getting paid the clock is ticking, you will be found out and you're essentially toast. Warm and Fuzzy has little to do with value.

So, if you aren't worth what you are paid you are cut. If you are worth more than what you are paid you should sit on your hands and be a good soldier. Got it.

Don't get me wrong. As a fan I want the Jets to do what is best for the team and that does not include caving to every player with a contract gripe, legit or otherwise. In general the players have been getting the shaft from this league since it's inception and I'm all for them sticking it to the man.

So, if you aren't worth what you are paid you are cut. If you are worth more than what you are paid you should sit on your hands and be a good soldier. Got it.

Don't get me wrong. As a fan I want the Jets to do what is best for the team and that does not include caving to every player with a contract gripe, legit or otherwise. In general the players have been getting the shaft from this league since it's inception and I'm all for them sticking it to the man.

In general the journeyman player who make up the bulk of the league and fill out rosters are low paid cannon foder, that's not the case at all with first round draft picks who are high risk high reward players who generally get a big check before they perform at all. Some are vastly over paid and some end up slightly underpaid for a short period. That's the system that was bargained for by labor.

I remember when Charlie Finley wanted to make every player a free agent every year. The players were dead against it.

If you get cut you aren't shafted you are a FA able to get exactly what you are worth. Again I didn't see why a player should bitch about that. In the case of injury I suspect most of these guys have some insurance?

In general the journeyman player who make up the bulk of the league and fill out rosters are low paid cannon foder, that's not the case at all with first round draft picks who are high risk high reward players who generally get a big check before they perform at all. Some are vastly over paid and some end up slightly underpaid for a short period. That's the system that was bargained for by labor.

I remember when Charlie Finley wanted to make every player a free agent every year. The players were dead against it.

If you get cut you aren't shafted you are a FA able to get exactly what you are worth. Again I didn't see why a player should bitch about that. In the case of injury I suspect most of these guys have some insurance?

Fair enough, but those journeymen are out there struggling for the opportunity to get that big check. As I said before, these things are bargained for by labor because it's the best they could get. I'll agree that the lower paid guys are the bigger problem in the grand scheme of things. OTOH the way the system is, when these players have the opportunity to maximize their earnings I can't blame them for taking it.

Why should the player have to pay to weaken his position in negotiations?

How about a system where a player is free to pay back that same pro-rata portion of his signing bonus to become a free agent? The team previously holding his rights would then have the right to match any deal he could get on the market. Sound good?

That could work if the owner gets to get back the pro-rata share of the bonus money after cutting him as well.

Personally, I'm of two minds on this. Mostly I side with the owners when a player signs a contract and wants to breach it before it's over. But that's really for free agents. Revis got drafted by the Jets and was only allowed to negotiate with the Jets (unless he wanted to sit out the season and enter the draft a year later, which isn't such a realistic option when you haven't made jack squat yet). If a UFA sits out I've got just about no sympathy unless it wasn't all that lucrative and he then suddenly turned into twice the player he was when he signed the deal. But to equate that with players still under their rookie deal isn't really the same.

At the same time, he (effectively) signed a 6-year deal and has only played 3 of it. He's pocketed $15M in the first 3 years of his deal despite not being taken in the top 10. Most guys drafted in his slot would have gotten a couple million less over 5 years than Revis got over 3.

I'm sympathetic to guys getting stiffed by their rookie deals that they're clearly outplaying. But I'd also be much more sympathetic if the guy wasn't likely to pocket $36M on that deal without holding out. If he was making 2nd (or 5th) round money and only pocketed a couple mil over the first 3 years there would be no conflict as to where 100% of my sympathies lie.

This one is a closer call.

Still, if the Jets threw him a lowball contract like for $9-10M per year that's just dumb. Everyone knows Revis's market value is plenty higher, even if the Jets aren't willing to pay it. Yeah that's more than the $7M per that he's due to make over the 3 upcoming seasons, but he'd also have his freedom papers after 3 years instead of 5 or 6. Might as well have never brought up the contract redo to Revis in the first place if that's how the Jets were going to handle it.

It's all part of the negotiation dance, so let's see how this plays out before getting too pissed off at either side.

I think it should be noted, before people go off the deep end about greed and honoring contracts, that Revis is technically in the final year of his contract. He met playing time incentives that voided the final 2 seasons of the deal.

The Jets can buy that back for 21 million dollars of guaranteed money, but I would imagine that Tanny would prefer to have a more cap-friendly option than that, which is why the Jets promised a new contract to Revis this offseason.

I honestly can't believe my eyes. Darrelle Revis is arguably the best defensive player in the league. He deserves to get paid. Revis was promised a new contract and he has yet to receive one.

I think people are forgetting the type of year he had. It was definitely a historic one in my opinion. I hope Revis understands that we also need to re-sign Harris, Brick, and Mangold or else it would be hard to win a SB. As of now, I think Darrelle Revis means a lot more to our team than anyone else. The Jets like to blitz and we need great CBs and Darrelle Revis is one helluva CB. I think we're good, though. We have him by the balls.

We used to brush it aside because it was happening to washed up or less vital players but this is becoming a serious issue.

No it's not, because a one-day OTA holdout is the first and only evidence that a vital player in his prime is actually upset with the team.

in the NFL, the contracts are voidable,,players/agents know this, that why they get upfront cash.

players also know if they are playing great they will hold out..so no mean things going on here,,its the game both sides play,,woners can be mad when a player holds out or a player who gets big bonus then sucks, and players can be mad when the owners decide that they dont need them anymore and hope u banked that signing bonus..

in MLB of NBA you have to honor contracts, NFL different..so what is surprise?

Agreed.

Cutting a guy is not failing to honor the contract, since the rules of the league, and thus the contract allow for it.

Guys always complain about the year in their contract where they don't get paid much, yet they all saw it coming. Why not refuse to accept a deal with a year like that.

As many have said, revis right now has no leverage, and this move is largely symbolic, so he'll be on the field when it matters.

On the other side of the argument, I'm concerned how many times I'm hearing that this play or that player was promised something and they didn't get it. Sooner or later you have to start to wonder if tannenbaum is truly the *******.

Very well said. Revis got a boatload of front-loaded money in his deal, and he got it because of the 6-year deal that he signed. He was more then happy to collect that money, but has no interest in actually living up to the agreement he made which is the whole reason why he received as much up front as he did. Is he a scumbag? No. Is he greedy? You bet your ass he is.

The difference between the owner's cutting a guy and player holding out is simple in my mind, it's all about that guaranteed money. The owner has to pay a large chunk of change, up front, that is a large portion of the money they are spending for that player's services for the entirety of his contract. They then pay additional money, on a yearly basis, for the years they actually play for that team. So when an owner cuts a player, they've already paid that player all of the money they owed him for the time he has actually played for them PLUS the portion of the guaranteed money that was associated with the remaining contract years, which that player still gets to keep. The player is not getting robbed of a cent here, and has the opportunity to go and get money from someone else (including a whole new set of guarantees).

When a player holds out, they have already collected all of the money for the years they have played PLUS a portion of money for the years they have agreed to in a contract, but not yet played. This money has NOT yet been earned by the player, but yet they not only see no need to actually earn that money, but seem to think they should get paid even more on top of what they already agreed to. It all comes to money paid for services rendered, and it's only the owner's who ever get screwed on that deal.

Good point, but if said player does go through w/ his holdout, I believe the team can file a grievance and collect a portion of that guaranteed money. So, the owners are not entirely w/o protection.

Well he will earn the money if the Jets buy back the final two years of his voided contract. I havent heard of how the "voided years" actually play out though, other than they are now offering Revis a new contract.

The way that it works is that Revis will void his contract at the end of the 2010 season. The Jets have the option to buyback the final two year of the deal and prevent Revis from becoming a free agent. The cost in 2011 is 5 million. In 2012 I believe the initial buyback is 11 million which can escalate or de-escalate based on performance. I think the low value is 9 million and the high value is 15 million. The high value is more or less based on playing time and pro bowl honors, which he is on track to meet unless he got hurt.

I honestly can't believe my eyes. Darrelle Revis is arguably the best defensive player in the league. He deserves to get paid. Revis was promised a new contract and he has yet to receive one.

I think people are forgetting the type of year he had. It was definitely a historic one in my opinion. I hope Revis understands that we also need to re-sign Harris, Brick, and Mangold or else it would be hard to win a SB. As of now, I think Darrelle Revis means a lot more to our team than anyone else. The Jets like to blitz and we need great CBs and Darrelle Revis is one helluva CB. I think we're good, though. We have him by the balls.

Exactly, that's why I think he's being selfish. He alone is not worth more than our franchise MLB, LT, and C.

How can people call him selfish when we don't know what he's been offered? It is entirely possible that what the Jets' offered truly is a lowball offer. Without the facts, people really shouldn't be jumping to any conclusions.

How can people call him selfish when we don't know what he's been offered? It is entirely possible that what the Jets' offered truly is a lowball offer. Without the facts, people really shouldn't be jumping to any conclusions.

The offer he considered insulting was 13.75 million for 4 years according to Scoops who has insider info.. For a rational look at CB's salaries check out this link.. http://www.nyjetscap.com/reviscontract.html

How about a system where a player is free to pay back that same pro-rata portion of his signing bonus to become a free agent? The team previously holding his rights would then have the right to match any deal he could get on the market. Sound good?

Great starting point.

I would add that if say he had a 5 year deal, and this happened after 3 years, and he got a 5 mill upfront signing bonus, maybe the 2 mill 'left' from cap POV, would be deducted from final deal he signed with other team if Jets matched.

aka, Bills give him x contract and a 10 mill bonus. We ,match contract terms, but only have to give him 8 mill bonus since he hadnt performed yet in year 4/5 and still had Jets 2 mill in his bank for the supposed year 4/5 of contract.

But I am open to negotiations ;)

The offer he considered insulting was 13.75 million for 4 years according to Scoops who has insider info.. For a rational look at CB's salaries check out this link.. http://www.nyjetscap.com/reviscontract.html

So he was so insulted and holding out over a contract that is only one year longer then the remainder of his current deal, but pays him at least $34 million more? Not to mention that it would pay him significantly more than any other CB outside of Asomugha's ridiculous contract, and it's only the Jets first offer. Especially for a starting point, I think that's actually a more than generous offer from the Jets.

So he was so insulted and holding out over a contract that is only one year longer then the remainder of his current deal, but pays him at least $34 million more? Not to mention that it would pay him significantly more than any other CB outside of Asomugha's ridiculous contract, and it's only the Jets first offer. Especially for a starting point, I think that's actually a more than generous offer from the Jets.

I have to think that if the Revis crew was really mad at 13.75/4 it has to mean that the Jets wanted him to honor at least this year and maybe next at his current rate of pay. That would put Revis in the category of 10-11 million per year with probably a good chunk coming late in the deal. If its the 10 million number I could see him being upset especially if they expect him to play for 550K this year with a moderate signing bonus attached to it. If its just 13.75 straight up for 4 its crazy to be mad about it. Thats setting an entirely new market and gets him another huge deal in just a few years.

I have to think that if the Revis crew was really mad at 13.75/4 it has to mean that the Jets wanted him to honor at least this year and maybe next at his current rate of pay. That would put Revis in the category of 10-11 million per year with probably a good chunk coming late in the deal. If its the 10 million number I could see him being upset especially if they expect him to play for 550K this year with a moderate signing bonus attached to it. If its just 13.75 straight up for 4 its crazy to be mad about it. Thats setting an entirely new market and gets him another huge deal in just a few years.

This is my thinking as well.

It doesn't make sense from a Jet perspective to re-sign him to, essentially, a 1 year extension.

That 4 year deal had to be on top of the 3 yrs he has left so he'll be a Jet for the next 7 yrs.

This is my thinking as well.

It doesn't make sense from a Jet perspective to re-sign him to, essentially, a 1 year extension.

That 4 year deal had to be on top of the 3 yrs he has left so he'll be a Jet for the next 7 yrs.

I had thought of that as a possibility, but how would that even be possible considering the structure of his current deal? With the final 2 years setup as voidable with the Jets options to buyback, how do you tack an extension onto that? Unless maybe they are trying to redo those years of the current deal with them being locked in at the buyback rates?

Mike Tannenbaum hopes to get new deal 'within reason' for Revis

Jun 3

6/3/2010 4:36:08 PM

Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum admitted that the organization is trying to strike a long-term deal "within reason" for the All-Pro cornerback according to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News.

I had thought of that as a possibility, but how would that even be possible considering the structure of his current deal? With the final 2 years setup as voidable with the Jets options to buyback, how do you tack an extension onto that? Unless maybe they are trying to redo those years of the current deal with them being locked in at the buyback rates?

What the Jets would likely do is lock Revis in on the current salaries slated for the next three year (550K, 650K, and 665K) before the buybacks. They would front him the 20 million in a signing bonus that he was set to earn in the buybacks. In addition they would give him a huge roster bonus this year to maximize his cap figure and then another one next season to comply with cap regulations.

Just quickly running the numbers the Jets could pay him 20 million in a SB this year, an 8.5M RB this year and a 4M RB next season that would all be considered "new money". He be playing 2012 for a low salary that would probably escalate to around 2.5M and his salary thereafter would increase by about 2 million every year. The "new money" in the deal would basically be 55 million or 13.75M per extension year, but the average annual value would only be in the 10M per year range, which is not going to be much more than Dunta Robinson made. My guess is that is where there would be a hangup.

A twist in the Revis negotiations

June, 4, 2010 Jun 49:31AM ET

By Rich Cimini

There's an interesting side note to the Darrelle Revis situation, as mentioned by Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk and The Sporting News. According to Florio, who writes that he has a copy of Revis' contract, there's language in the deal that states the star cornerback would arguably jeopardize $20 million in guarantees if he skips a mandatory minicamp or holds out from training camp. He wouldn't lose the money, just the guarantee.

Quick background: When Revis' original contract voids after the 2010 season, the Jets can buy back the 2011 and 2012 seasons for $5 million and $15 million, respectively -- and that money is guaranteed. It's all part of the complicated contract he signed as a rookie in 2007, a contract that took an acrimonious, three-week holdout to produce.

If Florio's assertion is accurate, Revis would lose a considerable amount of leverage. Yes, he could still skip the upcoming minicamp (June 14-16) and/or not show up for training camp, but that $20 million wouldn't be guaranteed anymore. Obviously, a player of his caliber wouldn't have to worry about getting cut, but there's always the possibility of a career-ending injury. Would he be willing to take that chance? He'd have to think twice (or three times) before staging a training-camp holdout, which also would result in a $16,000-per-day fine.

More fodder for the discussion. I'll have more later on Revis.

thanks for the link. it's a must read for perspective on these negotiations.

13.75 mil for 4 yrs is a generous offer if it's true. as mentioned in the article 67.5 mil for 6 years would be a fair compromise for both sides considering revis' situation. imo 13.75 is too high.

What the Jets would likely do is lock Revis in on the current salaries slated for the next three year (550K, 650K, and 665K) before the buybacks. They would front him the 20 million in a signing bonus that he was set to earn in the buybacks. In addition they would give him a huge roster bonus this year to maximize his cap figure and then another one next season to comply with cap regulations.

Just quickly running the numbers the Jets could pay him 20 million in a SB this year, an 8.5M RB this year and a 4M RB next season that would all be considered "new money". He be playing 2012 for a low salary that would probably escalate to around 2.5M and his salary thereafter would increase by about 2 million every year. The "new money" in the deal would basically be 55 million or 13.75M per extension year, but the average annual value would only be in the 10M per year range, which is not going to be much more than Dunta Robinson made. My guess is that is where there would be a hangup.

Ok, I see what you're saying. I still have a slightly different perspective on this though, as even in the Robinson comparison, Dunta played out the entirety of his rookie contract and THEN got the deal that he got. If the offer is an extension, then what the Jets are essentially offering him is a 13.75M/year deal for after his rookie deal expires, which is definitely more than what Robinson received. The holdup is really simple, Revis has absolutely no desire whatsoever to honor the contract he signed. He wants his deal torn up and to be made the highest paid player at his position starting today. The only problem is there's absolutely nothing in it for the Jets. If Revis wants a new deal there's got to be some sort of benefit to the team for them to do that, and he doesn't seem to be at all interested in that. If it were the final year of his deal then that would be one thing, but he's not going anywhere any time soon unless the Jets decide otherwise.

Al Davis set a ridiculous precedent.

This whole situation with Revis is a bit worrisome, but hopefully Tanny can find a way to satify his demands without compromising the salary structure of the entire team.

I love Revis, but he can't win alone, and we can't break the bank for him to the point we detrimentally affect our ability to put enough good players around him.

But I'm confident if anyone can come with a solution to the problem, it's Tanny.

Ok, I see what you're saying. I still have a slightly different perspective on this though, as even in the Robinson comparison, Dunta played out the entirety of his rookie contract and THEN got the deal that he got. If the offer is an extension, then what the Jets are essentially offering him is a 13.75M/year deal for after his rookie deal expires, which is definitely more than what Robinson received. The holdup is really simple, Revis has absolutely no desire whatsoever to honor the contract he signed. He wants his deal torn up and to be made the highest paid player at his position starting today. The only problem is there's absolutely nothing in it for the Jets. If Revis wants a new deal there's got to be some sort of benefit to the team for them to do that, and he doesn't seem to be at all interested in that. If it were the final year of his deal then that would be one thing, but he's not going anywhere any time soon unless the Jets decide otherwise.

I guess some of it would depend on the language of the deal. Revis has 21 million virtually guaranteed to him right now by the Jets. By tacking on those added years the guarantee is probably 35 million and then nothing afterwards. I would think from his perspective he would feel that the value was greater than the Robinson deal if the guarantees were higher (i.e. guaranteeing the 4th year of the deal). I also think, and I think this is fair as well, that if we assume Revis was a FA now and was worth 13.5M or so per year that with inflation around the NFL that the 13.5M extension numbers should be higher since technically it doesnt kick in until 2012 at the earliest.

Its really a strange situation that I think the Jets got themselves into before really understanding all the cap rules in place this season. It also doesnt help that the coach basically calls Revis the greatest secondary player of all time every week. The type of extension we are assuming as offered to Darrelle is the type of offer that is rarely given to a superstar. Its the kind of deal given to a lesser type of guy with potential when you have some cap room to spare, kind of like how the Eagles extended Brent Celek early. I think Leon fit into that category as well which is why the Jets supposedly offered him late money rather than huge sums at the front. I could understand a player like Revis probably thinking its a bit of a slap in the face to be offered the same style of contract that is offered to much lesser type players.

13.5m.thats 4m per more than any other cb not playing in oakland.thats insulting??revis saying the word insulting is insulting.

tanny is not as dumb as al davis and i hate to say it,but if revis doesnt change his mind,revis will not be a long term jet.

Revis is going to take evry penny he can get, there will be no hometown discount. I say just buy back his last 2 years, and see where we are at in three years. 3 years is a loooong time in football.

And for people saying Revis can just roll out of bed and play, that's probably true. The thing that pisses me off is that he could be here helping Cro and Wilson learn the D and start developing some chemistry and he's not doing it.

Holding Aso's contract up as the starting point is just stupid. The owners want an 18% decrease in the cap and I don't think anyone would pay Revis 16 mil a year. Six years 72 million seems fair to me, but I dont think Revis wants fair. I think Revis wants as much as he can get.

A twist in the Revis negotiations

June, 4, 2010 Jun 49:31AM ET

By Rich Cimini

There's an interesting side note to the Darrelle Revis situation, as mentioned by Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk and The Sporting News. According to Florio, who writes that he has a copy of Revis' contract, there's language in the deal that states the star cornerback would arguably jeopardize $20 million in guarantees if he skips a mandatory minicamp or holds out from training camp. He wouldn't lose the money, just the guarantee.

Quick background: When Revis' original contract voids after the 2010 season, the Jets can buy back the 2011 and 2012 seasons for $5 million and $15 million, respectively -- and that money is guaranteed. It's all part of the complicated contract he signed as a rookie in 2007, a contract that took an acrimonious, three-week holdout to produce.

If Florio's assertion is accurate, Revis would lose a considerable amount of leverage. Yes, he could still skip the upcoming minicamp (June 14-16) and/or not show up for training camp, but that $20 million wouldn't be guaranteed anymore. Obviously, a player of his caliber wouldn't have to worry about getting cut, but there's always the possibility of a career-ending injury. Would he be willing to take that chance? He'd have to think twice (or three times) before staging a training-camp holdout, which also would result in a $16,000-per-day fine.

More fodder for the discussion. I'll have more later on Revis.

makes sense

Revis is a great player but he represents a huge problem for the players. You can't have a unified labor union when the highest profile players don't really care about their team the game or their team mates.

The players allready get a large share of the revenue and in the current environment we may well have decreasing revenue rather than increasing revenue as the real threat of deflation plays out. You can't have a cap a revenue share and a 53 man roster in a world of shrinking income and have a handful of players demand a huge portion of the players revenue without off loading players and lossing continuity. A team game that losses continuity losses it's fan base and it's ability to build and sustain a quality product.

The owners are going to have to break the Union and figure another way to deal with this growing problem. Darrell Revis can't be paid like the CEO of Goldman Sachs if that means David Harris either gets cut or is paid like a line worker at GM.

Archived