Am I reading this wrong?

GMJohnson

What in the world is Jets head coach Rex Ryan thinking? In preparation for this week’s organized team activities, Ryan gave special-teams coach Mike Westhoff permission to use veteran linebacker Bart Scott -- the heart and soul of the Jets’ defense -- on special teams.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/14112/ryan-taking-calculated-risk-with-scott

Whats up with this? One of your key LBs on ST? Where are all of your back up, head buster type LBs?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it's f-ckin OTA's not training camp.

I dont see your point. If theyre not planning to have him on ST in August or the reg season, then why have him doing it now? Conditioning? To piss him off, motivate him? It still doesnt make sense. Let the scrubs do the scrub jobs, right?

Unless you dont have enough scrubs: "Is this a permanent move? Well, Westhoff is short of linebackers on special teams. Last season’s special-teams stalwarts at linebacker -- Marques Murrell and Larry Izzo -- are gone. Newly acquired veteran pass-rusher Jason Taylor is counted as a linebacker. But he's 35 and is coming off a shoulder injury. And somewhere in the NFL rule book it must say, "Guys who were on 'Dancing With the Stars' don't have to play special teams." Linebacker Bryan Thomas is not fast enough. Calvin Pace needs to be fresh to rush the passer. And David Harris is too valuable. "

I think you'll have to do better than "its just OTA's".

I dont see your point. If theyre not planning to have him on ST in August or the reg season, then why have him doing it now? Conditioning? To piss him off, motivate him? It still doesnt make sense. Let the scrubs do the scrub jobs, right?

Unless you dont have enough scrubs: "Is this a permanent move? Well, Westhoff is short of linebackers on special teams. Last season

Every time I see that GIF in your signature, I watch it skeighty-eight gazillion times. It's mesmerizing. Haha, TO.

What was this about again?

LOL me too. I just can't stop watching it. It's like the Leon/Crowder hit GIF. I get all warm inside when I see it.

Im sure its in preparation for the NYJETS game against Miami where you guys use your best players on special teams. And come to think of it you lost Ted Ginn your best player.

Lol, I can understand why youd think that after watching the two games last year. But I can assure you, Ted Ginn sucks and most Fin fans are glad he's gone.

LOL me too. I just can't stop watching it. It's like the Leon/Crowder hit GIF. I get all warm inside when I see it.

That was a mjor league hit, Steve Smith got him too, seems crowder has a penchant for getting crack backed. But we won both games so I can laugh about it...

Stick to your own team.... Bart Scott is NOT the heart and soul of the Jets defense. Hes a good football player but If I was looking for the Heart and Soul of the Jets Defense Im looking at Darrelle Revis, David Harris and Kris Jenkins.

Dude, you sound like a little girl. This is a Jets forum, why would I be sticking to the Dolphins? I'll ask one more time, where are the head busters LBs? Bart Scott is one of the highest paid LBs in the league, IIRC he's the 3rd or 4th highest paid ILB, ever. You wont find Willis, Dansby, or any other top tier LB chasing punts, kickoffs or anything of the sort, at OTA's, TC, or anywhere else. The article points out that several NYJ LBs arent practical solutions for the ST unit and I agree with that. Im waiting for someone to say: well player X, Y, Z will be filling that role, theyre just using Scott for now. Or Scott is a team player and he'll be a ST beast in addition to playing ILB. Instead I hear a bunch of overly defensive whining, about a simple OTA/LB depth question. Get it together :yawn:.

Dude, you sound like a little girl. This is a Jets forum, why would I be sticking to the Dolphins? I'll ask one more time, where are the head busters LBs? Bart Scott is one of the highest paid LBs in the league, IIRC he's the 3rd or 4th highest paid ILB, ever. You wont find Willis, Dansby, or any other top tier LB chasing punts, kickoffs or anything of the sort, at OTA's, TC, or anywhere else. The article points out that several NYJ LBs arent practical solutions for the ST unit and I agree with that. Im waiting for someone to say: well player X, Y, Z will be filling that role, theyre just using Scott for now. Or Scott is a team player and he'll be a ST beast in addition to playing ILB. Instead I hear a bunch of overly defensive whining, about a simple OTA/LB depth question. Get it together :yawn:.

Its June. We dont give a sh!t why he's playing there.

Did you really spend time out of your life to write that? SMH...

Are your really this pathetic?

You do understand that Henne's G-d awful play down the stretch is one of the main reasons the Dolphins missed the playoffs last year, don't you? If you don't understand that, change your username to "neverwillbeaGMJohnson" right now.

Its June. We dont give a sh!t why he's playing there.

Fair enough. Until he tears his achilles and everyone is sreaming about why was he on ST in the first place. But whatever. Who's going to be playing there in August? And why isnt he playing there now?

Because you clearly don't know enough about your own team to carry on an intelligent football conversation, let alone someone esle's.

Are your really this pathetic?

You do understand that Henne's G-d awful play down the stretch is one of the main reasons the Dolphins missed the playoffs last year, don't you? If you don't understand that, change your username to "neverwillbeaGMJohnson" right now.

You dont know anything about the Fins, but you continue to embarass yourself by making the same dumb (and off topic) statements over and over. Come on over to thephins.com forum, myself and others would be glad to help get you up to speed. Otherwise, do us both a favor and just dont respond to my "pathetic" posts. I'm a serious guy looking for serious discussion, I dont have time to play with children.

Fair enough. Until he tears his achilles and everyone is sreaming about why was he on ST in the first place.

If it happens, it happens.

But whatever. Who's going to be playing there in August? And why isnt he playing there now?

I dont care who will be playing there in August, September or any of the 12 months. I expect my head coach will have the best player possible for that position. Until Im a coach or a GM Im not going to worry about personnel usage.

And if worrying about why someone is playing ST in camp is our biggest worry, then we're in good shape.

You dont know anything about the Fins, but you continue to embarass yourself by making the same dumb (and off topic) statements over and over. Come on over to thephins.com forum, myself and others would be glad to help get you up to speed. Otherwise, do us both a favor and just dont respond to my "pathetic" posts. I'm a serious guy looking for serious discussion, I dont have time to play with children.

Serious discussion about ST at OTA's? :bwahaharoll:

Dude. Seriously. Good luck trying to live up to your owners expectations.

If it happens, it happens.

I dont care who will be playing there in August, September or any of the 12 months. I expect my head coach will have the best player possible for that position. Until Im a coach or a GM Im not going to worry about personnel usage.

And if worrying about why someone is playing ST in camp is our biggest worry, then we're in good shape.

Fair enough. But IIRC, the Jets lost a game last year primarily b/c thier KO team couldnt tackle Ted Ginn Jr. Twice. But hey, no worries...

Seriously? :rl:

2-4 7 TD, 10 INT.

You really think it's a coincidence the Dolphins went from 5-4 and in control of their own destiny to out of the playoffs? Prior to that stretch, in his first seven starts, Henne was 5-2 with 5 TD and only 4 INT.

Grow a brain pal.

Seriously? :rl:

2-4 7 TD, 10 INT.

You really think it's a coincidence the Dolphins went from 5-4 and in control of their own destiny to out of the playoffs? Prior to that stretch, in his first seven starts, Henne was 5-2 with 5 TD and only 4 INT.

Grow a brain pal.

Stating the obvious as if its some kind of top secret revelation. Congratulations. Youre talking to a guy who has charted and analyzed every single throw that Chad Henne made last year. If you wanna make a Henne thread, I'd be happy to participate. Otherwise, stay on topic, or Shhhhhh.

Im waiting for someone to say: well player X, Y, Z will be filling that role, theyre just using Scott for now. Or Scott is a team player and he'll be a ST beast in addition to playing ILB. Instead I hear a bunch of overly defensive whining, about a simple OTA/LB depth question. Get it together :yawn:.

First off, it is just OTA's.

Ryan is sending a message to the entire team that specials are a critical component of the team, and that no one on the team is above playing on ST's.

Kerry Rhodes left the team bitching about how he thought Rex favored some of his ex-Ravens. Could just be that Kerry's a bitch. A lot of people on this board would say that's the case. Could be other players on the team felt the same way, though. This tells them that is not the case.

Jets have a few DB's and LB's they picked up as UDFA's, and they're being shown what "team" means here on the Jets, and also that there's a job opening on ST's that they should be working extra hard to steal from the 30 year old starting LB who probably will not be playing specials come the regular season.

And Sal Pal needs something to write about in June.

Archived