Jets Release OLB Bryan Thomas

gsnts725

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't B Thomas give a teary eyed speech to the locker room before the opener this year that got the team fired up? Anyone else hear this?

Anyway pretty surprised to see him cut altho it was a pretty much guarantee after this season

He'll probably be resigned in a week or two, as his contract is guaranteed this season anyway.

BY MANISH MEHTA

In a surprising move, the Jets released outside linebacker Bryan Thomas on Saturday. However, there is a good chance that the 33-year-old Thomas, who had been the team’s longest-tenured player, will re-sign with the Jets next week, according to sources.

Whats the point of releasing him, if his contract was guaranteed, and he is expected back next week?

They needed the room to bring up Fletcher with Lankster questionable and Revis just coming back. They're betting no one grabs him.

Not an unpredictable move considering the direction the D is going. He's probably even slower than Scott right now. Pace is just plain better as the old guy DE/OLB.

I'm ready to see more of Davis and McIntyre, who'll probably get the most snaps. The D needs the speed behind the DL.

Speed kills ... Offenses!!!!!!

this would be a great drinking game....name a jet....name the hall of famer they shouldve drafted who went a few spots after .........be miserable

ill go first....kyle brady

Dan Marino

Maybe we could make this an acid test party? Drinking to this game could be really bad combination.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/15922/bryan-thomas-expected-to-return

Bryan Thomas expected to return

By Rich Cimini

If the Jets really wanted to move on from Bryan Thomas, they would've done it in the offseason, when he was a free agent -- a 33-year-old linebacker coming off Achilles-tendon and shoulder surgeries.

But they didn't. They re-signed Thomas, a former first-round pick and longtime starter, to a one-year, $990,000 contract in March. I remember having a conversation with Thomas in late May, and he told me he was touched the organization stuck by him even as he was rehabbing from the operations.

"The organization has been wonderful," Thomas said at the time. "For them to re-sign me in this situation, I was truly grateful. They could've said, 'Go.'"

Technically, Thomas is free to go after being released Saturday, but does this sound like someone who wants to leave the only NFL team he's ever known? Hardly. Barring something totally unforeseen, he will re-sign with the Jets on Monday or Tuesday. (Besides, does anyone think they'd eat the $761,765 remaining on his $925,000 base salary?)

This move was all about roster management. Down to four cornerbacks with Ellis Lankster (back) out of Sunday's game, the Jets wanted to sign DB Donnie Fletcher from the practice squad to give them an extra pair of legs to help them against the 90-degree heat and the Dolphins' hurry-up offense. Thomas, plagued by a hamstring injury, wasn't going to play anyway, so they released him and promoted Fletcher.

Thomas doesn't lose any money; his entire salary is guaranteed as a vested veteran. He just spends two or three days in limbo. Sure, he can listen if another team calls, but it's highly unlikely he'd leave. The Jets were loyal to him, and he'll be loyal to them.

oh that dummy tanny. he gets a DB on the roster, and cuts a guy who won't lose any money, wasn't going to play anyway, and will more than likely come back.

guess he should have gone down there shorthanded

wait, what ?

Were you responding to me? If so that's not what I meant or believe I said. I am saying that keeping BT should be in depth mode and our money is tied up way too much elsewhere

He is a solid servicable pro. He never lived up to the hype of being a #1, and he had that whole nonsense with losing weight in his rookie season.A lesser guy would've been a total bust. Instead Thomas worked his way into being a very good LB. Expect alomg those lines he will be a decent depth guy should they bring him back. .

The Jets have cut their longest tenured player today in Bryan Thomas. Thomas had 1 assisted tackle in 1 game in 2012. He was drafted by the Jets in 2002 and played 157 games with the team(146 regular season, 11 playoff) Thomas was made expendable thanks to his injury and the outstanding performance by Garrett McIntyre who had 2 sacks and 6 tackles against the Steelers last week. To go along with this move, the Jets have called up CB Donnie Fletcher from the practice squad so that they can have 5 DB’s for Sunday’s game.

It is believed that the Jets will re-sign Thomas on Monday that is unless someone like Belichick gets him first.

Sorry..didn't mean to neg you....

He is a solid servicable pro. He never lived up to the hype of being a #1, and he had that whole nonsense with losing weight in his rookie season.A lesser guy would've been a total bust. Instead Thomas worked his way into being a very good LB. Expect alomg those lines he will be a decent depth guy should they bring him back. .

The Jets have released their longest tenured player outside linebacker/defensive end Bryan Thomas.

Thomas was originally drafted by the Jets as a defensive end #22 overall in 2002 out of the University of Alabama-Birmingham and began his Jets career with several non-eventful seasons.  It looked as if Thomas would not live up to his high draft status but revitalized his career playing outside linebacker under than new head coach Eric Mangini’s 3-4 defense. Thomas notched 8.5 sacks during the 2006 season thriving in the new scheme and was given a five year contract by the Jets.

Unfortunately Thomas suffered a torn Achilles during the fourth game of 2011 ending his season.  He signed a one year veteran minimum contract with the Jets for the 2012 season with $605,000 being guaranteed in hopes of working his way back from injury.

After starting opening day against the Buffalo Bills recording one tackle Thomas was battling a hamstring injury and his replacement Garrett McIntyre had 7 tackles and two sacks in last week’s lose to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

It is being reported that Thomas’ release was just a procedural maneuver to allow the Jets some roster flexibility as the team has signed rookie defensive back Donnie Fletcher (6’1”’ 196; Boston College) off their practice squad to the 53-man active roster since they are thin at the position with CB Ellis Lankster fighting a back injury.

Even though Thomas is now a free agent the Jets are likely to resign him next week waiving another player, probably Fletcher, to make room for the return.  The chances are slim another team will attempt to sign the 33 year old Thomas and he was probably released with the understanding he’d be back shortly.

Thank God, 9 years in the making.

The guy only played well in contract years.

Good riddance.

Isn't that the truth. I remember on draft day how much they played up the high-character factor and upbringing. Character, my ass. He put out only when money was on the line.

The fact that people mistakenly think that BT is the longest tenured Jet makes me feel old. Which is cool, because I'm not old, but I also lose hope for the human race. Is google really that ****ing hard to use?

What am I missing here? He was the longest. Going on 10 years. Who is longer?

Thomas is/was a good Pro. The Jets Drafting failures are well documented.

You missed the mighty Full Back in the first round "Roger Vick" I mean who Drafts a FB outside the 1930's.....

Any way just a Roster move, Can't wait for the NFL 2025 when girls play and your Defence contains 8 Cornerbacks and that's your base "Run defence" sorry rant over...

Archived