Rallying around Geno Smith

T0mShane

OK, they drafted him. Now, the fun part: cultivating and developing him. Here's what I want to see--

1. DRAFT HIM A TE: Young QBs need reliable underneath receivers to throw to. Security blankets. You can't ask him to whip the ball downfield at first.

2. Sign or trade for a veteran WR: Dudes will fall off rosters in camps as they're replaced by drafted receivers. Get one or two of them--the Braylons and Nate Washingtons of the world. Dudes who will be where they're supposed to be.

3. SEND SANTONIO HOLMES HOME: Do not let him in the huddle with Smith, do not let him talk to Smith, don't let him tweet Smith. Holmes is a cancer and QB killer.

4. WEIGH TRADING SANCHEZ: Sanchez will be an absolute pussy about Smith's presence and will make life hell in the locker room. You'd be much better off with a QB room of Smith-Garrard-Tebow anyway--two solid vets who can teach, assuming Garrard isn't butthurt.

5. DO NOT HAND HIM THE STARTING JOB!!!!!:

Most important of all. Jets fans will want blood early in the season, and the team will suck hard no matter who is playing QB. Don't let Smith bear the brunt of the Boo Festival that will greet the team early on. Rex has to wait for the soft five game stretch at the end of the season to start Smith. Let him come in as the conquering hero after the team has taken its lumps through the first 2/3rds of the year. Let Garrard and Tebow play, suck, then get replaced.

And what happens if the conquering hero sh!ts the bed during that soft five game stretch ?

He'll have built in excuses: the team will have sucked prior, and he's a rookie. If he starts Day One, he'll take some of the heat for the inevitable suckage.

I'm with you except for the part about keeping the Tebow circus around. The sooner that guy hits the motivational speaking circuit, the better.

If they find a way to move Sanchez, letting Garrard/Tebow split snaps in a lost year wouldn't be the worst thing.

OK, they drafted him. Now, the fun part: cultivating and developing him. Here's what I want to see--

1. DRAFT HIM A TE: Young QBs need reliable underneath receivers to throw to. Security blankets. You can't ask him to whip the ball downfield at first.

2. Sign or trade for a veteran WR: Dudes will fall off rosters in camps as they're replaced by drafted receivers. Get one or two of them--the Braylons and Nate Washingtons of the world. Dudes who will be where they're supposed to be.

3. SEND SANTONIO HOLMES HOME: Do not let him in the huddle with Smith, do not let him talk to Smith, don't let him tweet Smith. Holmes is a cancer and QB killer.

4. WEIGH TRADING SANCHEZ: Sanchez will be an absolute pussy about Smith's presence and will make life hell in the locker room. You'd be much better off with a QB room of Smith-Garrard-Tebow anyway--two solid vets who can teach, assuming Garrard isn't butthurt.

Most important of all. Jets fans will want blood early in the season, and the team will suck hard no matter who is playing QB. Don't let Smith bear the brunt of the Boo Festival that will greet the team early on. Rex has to wait for the soft five game stretch at the end of the season to start Smith. Let him come in as the conquering hero after the team has taken its lumps through the first 2/3rds of the year. Let Garrard and Tebow play, suck, then get replaced.

I agree with everything. Well done. The only thing I kinda disagree with is that I think we could compete (don't laugh), depending on the rest of this draft and if we could get a Vet or two in here. The defense did its job A LOT last year - but got tired of the offense turning around and f'ing it up.

Said it in two threads... But you start him Dec. 1 against Miami, with the season over.  Don't put him through that brutal mid-season stretch where we could easily loose them all.  Have him come in at home to a huge reception.

Evaluate what you have, then decide if we're taking a QB next year.  Easy.

^ will be knocking Geno Smith by July...

Said it in two threads... But you start him Dec. 1 against Miami, with the season over.  Don't put him through that brutal mid-season stretch where we could easily loose them all.  Have him come in at home to a huge reception.

Evaluate what you have, then decide if we're taking a QB next year.  Easy.

Agree with this 100%.  No need to put the added pressure on him and shove him into something he's not ready for.  Give him some time, let him sit and learn and then throw him in there once the season is all but over and see what he's got, without there being any desperate need to rack up wins.

I second the motion!

I honestly loved him early last year.  He was the Heisman winner at that point.  And the they lost.  And then he started to look bad at times. He was never Sanchez bad, but he was not that impressive at times.    So it went from "this guy is the heisman winner' to this guy doesn't look like a good QB.    Who knows how he'll turn out.  It really depends on how the Jets develop him.   As bad as Sanchez is, he also sucked more because the Jets coaching staff sucked at developing him and surrounding him with a talented offense.    

I honestly loved him early last year.  He was the Heisman winner at that point.  And the they lost.  And then he started to look bad at times. He was never Sanchez bad, but he was not that impressive at times.    So it went from "this guy is the heisman winner' to this guy doesn't look like a good QB.    Who knows how he'll turn out.  It really depends on how the Jets develop him.   As bad as Sanchez is, he also sucked more because the Jets coaching staff sucked at developing him and surrounding him with a talented offense.    

Sanchez blows nuts, was never a good qb. Geno at least has potential.

I agree that a good TE is critical. Hopefully there's one there in the third round.

Might be hard to not give him the starting job, though.

This is the challenge, and why bringing Rex back is tough. If we assume Rex is in an audition year, how does that influence the way he handles his QBs? Does he throw Smith out there in the hope that he becomes Russell Wilson right away? Or does he force-feed Garrard onto the field, looking to eke out 7 wins? I hate the idea of asking Rex to make calls that affect the development of another QB, and I hope Idzik finds a way to bring Rex to heel before he ruins Smith.

Archived