Bring Back Fireman Ed

Make me idSICK

I will keep this short. We started a petition to bring back Fireman Ed. I know some people love him and some people hate him.. Just throwing it out there that the petition exists incase anybody wants to sign it. We are already coming up on 600 signatures in the first day. 

https://www.change.org/p/fireman-ed-come-back-2

You can also read about it here. 

http://www.metro.us/sports/bringbacked-com-pushing-for-fireman-ed-return/zsJocl---sKbALRCKcDfY/

I - for one - am sick of how stagnant the crowd is and the absurd ways that Neil Glat tried to replace Ed with his dopey marching band and stupid fan contests.. putting any personal feelings about Ed aside, I am sure that nobody can argue that he is the only person who has proven that can get the chant going - and since he has been gone, the game day atmosphere has suffered because of it. 

+1

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too many folks at the games now just don't give a crap about happening on the field or anywhere else in the stadium.  That's what these modern day sporting events have unfortunately turned into to - a cluster**** of apathy.  Its the sad reality, and that's why guys like Fireman Ed are necessary - he's a throwback of a fan, if you will, the everyman who loses his voice rooting for his team. What's wrong with that?   

The only people that don't want him are the fans that which had his job. Opposing teams are not at a disadvantage when they come to MetLife. They like to sit and watch the games as if they're watching a golf match. This is football. We need him in order to ignite the fans. It's that simple.

Everything does not work.

No one wants to be a forgotten mascot.

We make plenty of noise without Ed.

SAR I

RIGHT!

I was there. I attended every home game in the 2010 and 2011 seasons and despite our on-field success and the popularity of the team Ed's cheers were watered-down versions of what they used to be. People simply didn't want to do it anymore. It became boring to older fans and a curious distraction to younger fans.

Another reason why? The MetLife PA system is a loud mess. Commercials, public service announcements, loud metal music, helmet races, military recognition, tee boys, from the minute the game starts to the second it ends your ears are bombarded with noise and marketing. In fact, the only time you get a chance to hear yourself think or speak to a guy sitting next to you is during plays and that's when Ed is trying to squeeze his chant in. It's not happening.

You have to let this Fireman Ed thing go. The fans don't want him. It's great that you do, but paying customers in the seating bowl don't want his schtick any more. That's a fact. That's proven. I'll find the YouTube video of the big Fireman Ed event that took place 5 minutes before kickoff where he and 1000 fans were on the field spelling out "JETS" and leading the world's biggest Jets chant. No one cared. No one cheered. Ed was begging for participation.

We don't want him. It's simple as that.

SAR I

You don't speak for every fan. The majority would love to have Ed back.

The responses on here pretty much show that, and the Youtube clips of Ed leading the chant in the new stadium are 100% proof that the fans get involved when he does it.  I guess if  you're on your phone or not really there to watch the game you wouldn't notice it happening around you.

I speak for the 82,500 fans in MetLife Stadium who were given a ton of opportunities to embrace Fireman Ed and chose not to. We saw this first hand for three years. The crowd wasn't responding to him anymore. He used the Thanksgiving game on national TV to make a scene to embarrass the fans the way they embarrassed him, and that's unforgivable to most Jets fans. It's for the best that he's done.

SAR I

SAR I

You are by far one of my favorite posters.  Bold, funny, intelligent and above all else a passionate Jets fan!!  So while we have at times disagreed I l respect the heck out of you.... 

If you feel that Ed's time is past that may be the case, but some fans WHO ATTEND THE GAMES with you want him back and there is nothing wrong with that

Thank you for the kind words.

I harbor no ill will against Fireman Ed. However, the fans in the new stadium have made it clear that the old rules of Giants Stadium no longer apply. Be it technology, the noise from the PA system, social media, smart phones, poor coaching, boring offensive football, whatever, The fans simply stopped responding and simply don't want to do the chant anymore.

I feel like stay home basement watching pretzel chomping fans are trying to shove a mascot down our throat when it's clear we do not want him. My theory? It used to be that drunken blue collar fans could sit anywhere they wanted to in the stadium. But when PSL's were instituted and all fans relocated, those types of fans decided to be cheap, not spend their money, and stayed home. Ed basically lost his core audience in the new stadium. He's now surrounded by white color fans with better things to do than stand up and shout the alphabet like gradeschool children and have no patience for his repetitive rah rah anymore.

Listen, the 'wave' was popular once, remember? The Jets used to have a little boy in a jet plane ride around the stadium, remember? Times change. Stadiums change. Tastes change. Mascots change. Ed is a great Jets fan and should attend games and have a great time. Jets fans who stay home and watch the games for free on TV should not dictate the conditions of the game day experience that they themselves have ran away from.

SAR I

Thank you for the kind words.

I harbor no ill will against Fireman Ed. However, the fans in the new stadium have made it clear that the old rules of Giants Stadium no longer apply. Be it technology, the noise from the PA system, social media, smart phones, poor coaching, boring offensive football, whatever, The fans simply stopped responding and simply don't want to do the chant anymore.

I feel like stay home basement watching pretzel chomping fans are trying to shove a mascot down our throat when it's clear we do not want him. My theory? It used to be that drunken blue collar fans could sit anywhere they wanted to in the stadium. But when PSL's were instituted and all fans relocated, those types of fans decided to be cheap, not spend their money, and stayed home. Ed basically lost his core audience in the new stadium. He's now surrounded by white color fans with better things to do than stand up and shout the alphabet like gradeschool children and have no patience for his repetitive rah rah anymore.

Listen, the 'wave' was popular once, remember? The Jets used to have a little boy in a jet plane ride around the stadium, remember? Times change. Stadiums change. Tastes change. Mascots change. Ed is a great Jets fan and should attend games and have a great time. Jets fans who stay home and watch the games for free on TV should not dictate the conditions of the game day experience that they themselves have ran away from.

SAR I

Sorry, just because you say it doesn't make it so. And your example of some pregame organized jets chant on the field doesn't count, trying to do anything pregame is just a dumb idea. When it comes to the chant and younger or older fans not being interested I don't see it. I enjoy the chant (38years old), my parents enjoy the chant (mid 60s), my sister enjoys the chant (27), my brother enjoys the chant (19) my nephews enjoy the chant (4-7). Maybe you are in a bad section fan-wise where they don't get up and join in the chant, but in both the lower corner and even among the highest price club psls where I have seats in those sections people join in when Ed does the chant. Obviously we had some bad years as far as the play on the field and that will hurt morale, but take that away and the crowd was into Ed and the chant. Your spin otherwise will not change the reality.

that's funny.. i started this petition and have season tickets in the Chase Club with my entire family. We would all love to see Ed back and our entire section feels the same way. No pretzel chomping here - I had seats in the 24th row of section 131 in the old stadium and haven't missed a home game since the late 80's besides the day I moved in to my college dorm in 1997.

I always felt he was a bit corny, sorry.

And he should never have been spat at, abused verbally, etc...but show some balls and stop wearing a good damn Sanchez jersey.

I'll get crap for this, but I've never been real big on Super Fans. From Bobby Granger to Fireman Ed.

I will keep this short. We started a petition to bring back Fireman Ed. I know some people love him and some people hate him.. Just throwing it out there that the petition exists incase anybody wants to sign it. We are already coming up on 600 signatures in the first day. 

https://www.change.org/p/fireman-ed-come-back-2

You can also read about it here. 

http://www.metro.us/sports/bringbacked-com-pushing-for-fireman-ed-return/zsJocl---sKbALRCKcDfY/

I - for one - am sick of how stagnant the crowd is and the absurd ways that Neil Glat tried to replace Ed with his dopey marching band and stupid fan contests.. putting any personal feelings about Ed aside, I am sure that nobody can argue that he is the only person who has proven that can get the chant going - and since he has been gone, the game day atmosphere has suffered because of it. 

The atmosphere hasn't been the same since the new stadium.  Ed abandoned us in 2012 during a miserable season.  Don't give me the line he felt threatened.  I've seen him be rude to other fans and any NYFD I ever met at games have told me he isn't respected by the NYFD.  Ed was asked again to come back last season and still declined.  It's like begging a girl who left you to come back for years.  It's silly and pointless.  After his West Side Stadium commercials and signs about it at home games I lost all respect for him.  He left let's move on.

As fans we need to come up with a new way to get the crowd loud for home games.  The chant came from before Ed.  There were end zone chants back in Shea.  Maybe as fans we need to coordinate ways to get certain areas of the stadium fired up and get the place loud again. 

It's so sad that as I read this post I got CHILLS .... I need a life

Hell ****in yeah, baby! I am with you, my friend. Go JETS!

I think the Ed retiring/unretiring thing is silly. But the chant with Ed was undeniably fookin awesome. So I would welcome him back, and will sign the petition

Thank you, id suck, for doing this

I speak for the 82,500 fans in MetLife Stadium who were given a ton of opportunities to embrace Fireman Ed and chose not to. We saw this first hand for three years. The crowd wasn't responding to him anymore. He used the Thanksgiving game on national TV to make a scene to embarrass the fans the way they embarrassed him, and that's unforgivable to most Jets fans. It's for the best that he's done.

SAR I

Totally disagree with your opinion. And that's what this is, your opinion.

He left because things changed in the new stadium and people weren't paying attention to him. And since he was there for the recognition and the attention it became embarrassing for him to try to rile up a group that had no interest.

The apex of this situation occurred in 2011 or 2012 when there was a heavily publicized pregame event called "The Worlds Biggest J-E-T-S Chant" was held. About 1000 fans were on the field spelling out JETS. It was supposed to be this big thing to pump up the team as they came out of the tunnel. Ed started to chant, and no one in the crowd responded. Ed did it a second time. Again, no response. He eventually grabbed a microphone, stood up on a podium, and said "LET ME HEAR YOU!" "LET ME HEAR YOU!" It didn't work. He didn't attempt it again, it fizzled out. My buddies in my section were hysterical at first and then started checking their phones. It was very embarrassing for Ed but it also tells the story- we don't want a chant anymore.

SAR I

This is complete fabrication and crap.

This is the response from fans who have become jealous of Ed over the years and can't handle a fan who enjoys riling up the fans at the stadium.  You know nothing about the man, stop pretending you do.  The guy has been offered money, he's been offered royalties from the team because how well he used to invigorate the fans at the stadium, he refused the majority of it.  These are the facts, and he should be commended for it.  All it took was a rash of fans who were either too full of themselves and jealous, or just a bunch of arrogant trash punks who felt the need to harass the man in front of his family for no good reason.

Fans didn't want the chant because fans got frustrated with the losing.  It's understandable, but a select few, such as yourself in this instance, decided on their own to trash the man for their own insecure and selfish reasons. 

When the team starts winning again, they will welcome him back, and the stadium will respond.  Hell, it's already started, parts of the fan base are trying to send him a message over the internet to give him support and letting him know that there are those that appreciated what he did and they miss it.

You said in another post you speak for the 82000+ fans... Don't, you are just one fan.

Sorry, just because you say it doesn't make it so. And your example of some pregame organized jets chant on the field doesn't count, trying to do anything pregame is just a dumb idea. When it comes to the chant and younger or older fans not being interested I don't see it. I enjoy the chant (38years old), my parents enjoy the chant (mid 60s), my sister enjoys the chant (27), my brother enjoys the chant (19) my nephews enjoy the chant (4-7). Maybe you are in a bad section fan-wise where they don't get up and join in the chant, but in both the lower corner and even among the highest price club psls where I have seats in those sections people join in when Ed does the chant. Obviously we had some bad years as far as the play on the field and that will hurt morale, but take that away and the crowd was into Ed and the chant. Your spin otherwise will not change the reality.

The reality is this:

If the fanbase beloved Fireman Ed, he'd still be here.  And if Fireman Ed was being drowned in adoration and adorement, he'd still be here.  Something about the new stadium culture and Fireman Ed don't mix.  I think a lot of old timers that liked his chant used the PSL process as a reason to opt-out and they were replaced by younger fans who don't find the chant necessary or interesting.  Ed was on WFAN enough and quoted in the newspapers enough to know he felt that he wasn't as wanted anymore. 

SAR I

Totally disagree with your opinion. And that's what this is, your opinion.

That's fair, but tell me why then did 82,500 fans not make Ed feel wanted enough to the point where he felt that walking away wouldn't matter?  Why no enthusiasm for Ed's chanting even during games we were winning?  Why fewer and fewer people participated and less and less paid attention?

All I know is that back in some terrible Herm Edwards years the chant in Giants Stadium was deafening.  Flash forward to some very solid Rex Ryan years and the chant is a weak squeal.  I don't think Ed did anything wrong.  I think times changed and the culture of MetLife Stadium is just different than Giants Stadium in some ways good and in some ways bad.  No one is going to stop going to Jets games because Ed isn't cheering and similarly the Jets aren't going to win or lose a single game because Ed isn't cheering.  It's no different than a cheerleader routine or helmet race or a drum line.  It's just entertainment for the fans and when the fans stop responding to a form of entertainment, it stops being offered.

SAR I

This is complete fabrication and crap.

This is the response from fans who have become jealous of Ed over the years and can't handle a fan who enjoys riling up the fans at the stadium.  You know nothing about the man, stop pretending you do.  The guy has been offered money, he's been offered royalties from the team because how well he used to invigorate the fans at the stadium, he refused the majority of it.  These are the facts, and he should be commended for it.  All it took was a rash of fans who were either too full of themselves and jealous, or just a bunch of arrogant trash punks who felt the need to harass the man in front of his family for no good reason.

Fans didn't want the chant because fans got frustrated with the losing.  It's understandable, but a select few, such as yourself in this instance, decided on their own to trash the man for their own insecure and selfish reasons. 

When the team starts winning again, they will welcome him back, and the stadium will respond.  Hell, it's already started, parts of the fan base are trying to send him a message over the internet to give him support and letting him know that there are those that appreciated what he did and they miss it.

You said in another post you speak for the 82000+ fans... Don't, you are just one fan.

No one is "jealous" of Fireman Ed.  If any of us wanted to organize a fan cheer, we're free to do so.  Look at what the Fire Idzik guys did with a few mouseclicks.

I've met Ed on several occasions at the stadiums and even ran into him and had drinks in Jamaica while on vacation.  He is arrogant.  He adores his Jets celebrity.  That is factual.

Ed has put up with belligerent drunk fans before, not just at road games but at home too.  What happened on that one Thanksgiving night has happened to him a dozen times.

What I find vexing is that the very moment it is clear that the Rex Ryan Jets are never getting to the Super Bowl, that very Thanksgiving night, on national TV, while in the midst of the most embarrassing defeat in team history, Fireman Ed decides to throw another log on the fire and abandons us in our moment of need.  At the precise second that we could have used his inspiration, he throws a hissy fit, gets plastered on all the back pages, and makes it all about him.  And yet, here you are, making Jets fans out to be the bad guy and Fireman Ed some sort of hero.  He's not a hero.  He's an opportunist that had a nice 15 year run with some minor celebrity status and times changed, the fans stopped caring, he didn't like the loss of face, and knowing that as a team we were looking at 5+ years of losing it was very convenient for him to stop making the effort.

If Fireman Ed decides to come back once the team starts winning again, look for a chorus of boos raining down.  We're not going to forget how he added humiliation on Buttfumble night, made it about him, and abandoned us.

SAR I

A few things I had heard over the years that are in this article:

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/22/fireman-ed-sits-out-a-big-one/

1.  He was transferred from his job for abuse of sick leave.

2.  He was a Dolphins fan even in high school.

If you ask any NYFD what they thought of him most would say they couldn't stand him and had no respect for him.  That's NYFD not Jets fans.  He's a phony and a clown.  While I was unhappy with him after his West Side Stadium rants I still respected the way he got the crowed fired up.  In 2011 it became different and then he ditched us in 2012.  If he felt threatened why not go to the papers about it?  Instead he ditched us.  Begging him to come back is like a fool who has no self esteem and begs their ex girlfriend who cheated on them to come back.

That's fair, but tell me why then did 82,500 fans not make Ed feel wanted enough to the point where he felt that walking away wouldn't matter?  Why no enthusiasm for Ed's chanting even during games we were winning?  Why fewer and fewer people participated and less and less paid attention?

All I know is that back in some terrible Herm Edwards years the chant in Giants Stadium was deafening.  Flash forward to some very solid Rex Ryan years and the chant is a weak squeal.  I don't think Ed did anything wrong.  I think times changed and the culture of MetLife Stadium is just different than Giants Stadium in some ways good and in some ways bad.  No one is going to stop going to Jets games because Ed isn't cheering and similarly the Jets aren't going to win or lose a single game because Ed isn't cheering.  It's no different than a cheerleader routine or helmet race or a drum line.  It's just entertainment for the fans and when the fans stop responding to a form of entertainment, it stops being offered.

SAR I

If 82,000 fans were in Ed's corner and 500 of them were giving him a hard time; that would be enough to say it isn't worth it.

Regardless your numbers are flawed. When is the last time 82,500 people were actually inside the stadium for a Jets game at the same time?

The "chant' since Ed left has been a joke.  The Jets sent out a mailer saying (stadium divided into 4 of them) would get a letter. The stadium would go J E T S blah blah blah. When everyone laughed they didn't implement it.

Last year they did a different fan. The Jets orchestrated it. Telling them to only do the chant after the Jets score. They told them when to start it, etc.

I would love for the fans to take the chant back. I think Ed gives us the best chance of that happening. He could just start doing it and the Jets are out of it.  

If someone else has an idea on how to remove the Jets marketing department from the chant; I am all ears.

Archived