Geno Smith Punched by IK, out 6-10 weeks. All discussion here (MERGED)

Eh.

Not to get into a who knows more thing, but...

I've been watching for about 25- 30 years. IMO, Fitz is mediocre. Geno sucks.

Right around that same span myself.  Even longer watching games, but too young to have a clue.

Guess we can agree to disagree.  However if you're right, we do decent enough to miss the playoffs and have a below average draft pick.  So we're stuck being mediocre.  

If I'm right, once Geno gets back, there's a chance it could be a fun season.

I don't think you know what that means. 

What it means is that they are scapegoating IK as the 'bad guy' here. Smith is equally at fault, if not at total fault, for this fiasco. You don't put a finger in anyone's face. Try doing it and see what happens. But who cares what you think anyways.  I sure don't. 

• Thumb Down 1

More annoyed about losing IK than Geno, tbh

Willie McGines, ex Patriot at NFL Network praised IK for knocking Geno's jaw loose.  He said the Jets should give IK a contract extension for standing up to Geno for putting his finger in his face.  McGinnes said ' That's the type of guy I want on my team.  A guy who knocks people down!'  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

Fitz is coming off a broken leg. I don't think Fitz is Joe Montana. But this fingers crossed, really hoping Geno goes from #32 to #15 is silly.

You say don't quote Fitz's QBR and #s from last year OK. Then you guys don't get to use the Miami game every time someone rips on Geno. You're numbers (like your record) are what they say they are.

I didn't use the Miami game at all. Why would I? I just pointed out to you that ridiculous games like that should be taken for what they are...anomalies. Geno wasn't going to go out and put up that type of performance every outing going forward. Just like Fitzpatrick isn't going to throw 6tds every game.

Hoping Geno improves isn't silly, its the entire point I'm trying to argue. We know what Fitzpatrick is. He's mediocre. At this point he isn't better than Geno. The coaches agree with that, the players by all accounts agree with that by touting him as "our guy", even d*ckhead beat reporters agree with it. This team isn't going anywhere special with Fitzpatrick and helm. Geno seemed poised to take us to those places. Hoping that your young QB improves in the year where most guys show whether they finally "get it" or that they never will is EXACTLY what most fans should be doing. They shouldn't be pining for guys like Ryan Fitzpatrick. Thats just sad. Thats almost like Bills fans being excited for Tyrod f*cking Taylor/Matt Cassel levels of sad.

Btw, Ryan's record says he's a total loser after 10 years in this league. Geno's rookie season, where he was throwing to absolute dog sh*t at WR, would have been the best record of Fitz's career.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

Feel your pain, but it's not that bad. Yet. Geno could be back week 2 or 3, or worst case week 7. We brought in Fitz to be a "hold the fort" guy. Let's hope he can do it decently enough. If he does awesome... great! Let him keep playing if/until he goes back to being his usual self. Then plug Geno back in.

The only way this is absolutely horrible is if Fitz manages to keep us as a .500 or so team, and Bowels is fine with that. Doubtful though. Either Fitz will have us winning most games or Geno will be back in once he's ready.

The big problem is Geno is missing all these weeks of Training Camp. All the preseason games. He isn't going to come back and just be a plug and play. He is going to have a TON of catching up to do, and that is going to really hurt us.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

The big problem is Geno is missing all these weeks of Training Camp. All the preseason games. He isn't going to come back and just be a plug and play. He is going to have a TON of catching up to do, and that is going to really hurt us.

Good point. Though I'm hoping before he gets cleared to take hits, he'll be able to get back on the practice field in a red jersey. Not sure if that's even possible, but a week or two practicing before actually playing could help smooth things out.

Plus there's the bye week. Maybe a week 5 bye will come in handy this season.

Good point. Though I'm hoping before he gets cleared to take hits, he'll be able to get back on the practice field in a red jersey. Not sure if that's even possible, but a week or two practicing before actually playing could help smooth things out.

Plus there's the bye week. Maybe a week 5 bye will come in handy this season.

Even then man, its hard to be optimistic. I'm realistically thinking we're 1-3 going into the bye. I can't imagine if Geno even comes back that early, he'll be completely ready to go and it's likely going to cost some games. Given how strong the AFC is looking, we are not squeaking into the playoffs with a 9-7 record...and unfortunately that's my "best case scenario" right now.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

Willie McGines, ex Patriot at NFL Network praised IK for knocking Geno's jaw loose.  He said the Jets should give IK a contract extension for standing up to Geno for putting his finger in his face.  McGinnes said ' That's the type of guy I want on my team.  A guy who knocks people down!'  

They should have cut Geno..

Regardless, this is putiing in Sanchez back in the  Snoopybowl to win the game all over again. Geno is not the Jets QB and never was going to be the guy. Its time to move on to somebody else.

• Upvote 1

Of course youll miss Geno. Against the Bills he threw for 5 yards with 0 TDs and 3 INTS.

Blessing in disguise with Geno out.

Maby if it were earlier in training camp when this happened and we could have picked up or traded for a more viable QB to compete but at this point we gave Geno the first team snaps and he was actually doing pretty well, I don't think we will be able to pick anyone up and get them up to speed quick enough for the start of the season at this point its going to have to be Fitz and if he gets hurt before we can get Geno in things will get pretty ugly.

What it means is that they are scapegoating IK as the 'bad guy' here. Smith is equally at fault, if not at total fault, for this fiasco. You don't put a finger in anyone's face. Try doing it and see what happens. But who cares what you think anyways.  I sure don't. 

Stupidity all the way around.

I feel bad for Bowles. He must feel like he's babysitting a bunch of little kids.

They need a Dick Butkus type to be the leader in that locker room.

Everyone knows what they will get with Fitzpatrick.  People say he works good with Chan and they've worked together before and blah blah blah.  So what?!?!?!  They worked together before to produce losing records multiple times.  Fitzpatrick can be a decent QB but more than likely he is just mediocre.  

The hope was for Geno to be better than that.   The jury was still out on Geno while the book has pretty much closed on FItz.  I hope Fitzpatrick leads us to a decent start but I don't expect a lot if that man takes the helm for the whole season.  Rather see if Geno did take that next step and can be more than a serviceable QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Stupidity all the way around.

I feel bad for Bowles. He must feel like he's babysitting a bunch of little kids.

They need a Dick Butkus type to be the leader in that locker room.

And how would a Butkus type have handled the situation? What could he possibly do? Like, what are the repercussions of not listening to a Butkus type?

@JosinaAnderson: As I mentioned before, as of last night sources say Geno Smith was considering a 2nd opinion on his jaw before a surgical procedure.

@JosinaAnderson: From what I’m hearing Geno Smith is very anxious to get back on the field. Wanting to know when is both the safest & earliest he may play.

They worked together before to produce losing records multiple times.  Fitzpatrick can be a decent QB but more than likely he is just mediocre.  

Yeah, blame Fitzpatrick when the Bills' defense gave up 27 pts per game over that three year span.

In other news, Bartolo Colon has the same amount of wins as Jacob deGrom. They're the same pitcher!

@JosinaAnderson: As I mentioned before, as of last night sources say Geno Smith was considering a 2nd opinion on his jaw before a surgical procedure.

@JosinaAnderson: From what I’m hearing Geno Smith is very anxious to get back on the field. Wanting to know when is both the safest & earliest he may play.

Hanging in pocket more instead of scrambling so fast is one of things Geno needs to improve on. Protecting jaw by not scrambling as much might be a Pavlov tool 

How old are you?  In the real world punching someone is assault.  If I put my finger in your face, the grown man move to make is walk away.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Josina Anderson on ESPN last night explained the situation a little differently which seems to make more sense with the way each of these two approached this.  She said that IK confronted Geno while he was sitting at his locker getting ready for practice and Geno told him this was not the time or the place for this discussion.  Then IK put his finger in Geno's face and he turned to walk away and was hit by the punch that knocked him to the ground.  Geno got up and said he was not going to do this here and the players then broke it up.  That sounds a lot more logical to me.  IK is a huge dude and was really angry, the whole sticking a finger in IK's face thing just didn't make sense.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

I watched the NFL Network and Willie did not praise IK.  He only said that if you put your finger in someones face be prepared to face the consequences but said that IK was wrong for ever putting his hands on Geno.  Stop giving false information please.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Just woke up.  Any camp news?   I'm really psyched for Geno and his development this season.  

I'm betting he doesn't throw an INT again either in camp or the entire season.  Anybody wanna make a sig bet on that?  GO GENO!!!  It's your team now, young man.  Now go out there and win us a Super Bowl.

• Thumb Down 2

Just woke up.  Any camp news?   I'm really psyched for Geno and his development this season.  

I'm betting he doesn't throw an INT again either in camp or the entire season.  Anybody wanna make a sig bet on that?  GO GENO!!!  It's your team now, young man.  Now go out there and win us a Super Bowl.

ya, Bowles kicked Gailey in the nuts. he has to have hernia surgery.

• Upvote 1

Just woke up. Any camp news? I'm really psyched for Geno and his development this season.

I'm betting he doesn't throw an INT again either in camp or the entire season. Anybody wanna make a sig bet on that? GO GENO!!! It's your team now, young man. Now go out there and win us a Super Bowl.

Everything's great!

Bet the house on the Jets starting out 6-0.

• Upvote 1