Kellen Davis

JoJoTownsell1

Invested quite a bit in Decker and Marshall the past two years, and you're calling Kellen Davis' number in the biggest moment of the season so far. Sorry, that's moronic, and most certainly on the coach.

I think the failed bubble/slip screen calls behind the LOS were idiotic as it was clear they were the intended target of the play. 

For the 4th down pass into the endzone, I'd have a hard time believing that was the true 1st progression for Fitz. He probably had a quick read to Marshall and/or Decker and needed to check off due to coverage. And the play was there to be made , you would think a starting NFL TE would at least look for the ball.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know what your saying but it is tough to adjust when your QB simply can't do all the things required of a QB.  For instance, I thought the 1st two play calls of deep balls were normally good calls, but the Qb simply does not have the arm.  I was not a fan of the Gailey hire in the 1st place but I don't think he has been that bad other than near the goal line and not running the damn thong 3 times.

100% agree and I did like the Gailey hiring

No, they aren't. 

There were some terribly design plays that were called in horrible situations last night. The call to target Kellen Davis on that play, for instance, was terrible. As was Davis's awareness and effort. You see, in some situations you can blame both the player and the play caller.

Another example is the pass to Decker at the 2 yard line. That was a horrible play design, and an even worse effort by Fitz because he put the ball in a spot where Decker's momentum had to come back to the ball in the opposite direction of the first down. If Fitz leads him towards the line of scrimmage, perhaps Decker can fight/reach for a first down there. The idea of throwing behind the line of scrimmage inside of the 5 yard line, with 2 yards between you and a fresh set of downs is horrible... but if the execution was better, it may have worked in spite of how ill-advised it was. 

It's like Schotty all over again, with all the WR routs ending before the first down marker, on third down.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DTBlBFwbqEc/VK3AxXiHKVI/AAAAAAAABJA/e-Q3PkqXt1s/s1600/brianschottenheimer.gif

It's like Schotty all over again, with all the WR routs ending before the first down marker, on third down.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DTBlBFwbqEc/VK3AxXiHKVI/AAAAAAAABJA/e-Q3PkqXt1s/s1600/brianschottenheimer.gif

There are no words to describe the amount of rage that is eating away at my internal organs because I'm a fan of this team.

Q: Why go to Kellen Davis? Bowles: “There was more involved than that. It wasn’t just a play to Kellen Davis...there was a mix-up there.”

At the time Fitz released it he was. Not originally i don't think. Davis knocked Decker off his route, and knocked himself onto Decker's route. he was very surprised Decker was behind him, and was staring at Decker until the ball was by him. if the play was executed propertly it looked like it should have been a simple pitch and catch for a TD

So, not only is Kellen bad at catching, he's just bad at football in general and brings misery and devastation to everyone around him.

Lovely.

Q: Why go to Kellen Davis? Bowles: “There was more involved than that. It wasn’t just a play to Kellen Davis...there was a mix-up there.”

I don't think Davis was the target. Think it was supposed to be Decker. Watch the play again. Decker goes to his left first step off the line, then tries to come back to his right, where Davis runs right into him, and knocks both of them off their routes. Decker is in traffic, but Davis bounces free into the end zone. he doesn't know what to do. Fitz assumes he's going to continue on his route, throws a nice ball, Davis never see it and just stands there until the ball is by him

Yea, gotta figure Decker is the target. The pass to Decker was there all night. Ugh.. I want this game back so bad. Can I go Rex here and be all like, "we'll play them again right now!"

You said if Jets receivers catch the football,its a Jets win. 

sh*tzpatrick throws a sh*tty ball the WRs cant bail him out all the time. 

And yes the play calling and Gailey suck as well. 

It's funny, it's like, when Fitz throws a bad ball, our WRs can miraculously bail him out, but when he throws a good ball, they suddenly suck.

Boggles my mind, it does.

It's so easy to say that our coaches are not adjusting that is not why we lost we lost because players didn't make plays along with some questionable coaching calls. We have no idea exactly what the circumstances are during the games and how the opposing team is playing and adjusting according to the coaches game plan. I say **** it and blame it on Davis

Invested quite a bit in Decker and Marshall the past two years, and you're calling Kellen Davis' number in the biggest moment of the season so far. Sorry, that's moronic, and most certainly on the coach.

Teams do this all the time . You constantly see teams throwing to a Backup TE in pressure situations because the defense is keying on the top options. Is it better to throw to a double coved guy or a guy that's going to be heavily contested rather than a guy like Davis ? The call was correct but Davis is obviously not pro material

No, they aren't. 

There were some terribly design plays that were called in horrible situations last night. The call to target Kellen Davis on that play, for instance, was terrible. As was Davis's awareness and effort. You see, in some situations you can blame both the player and the play caller.

Another example is the pass to Decker at the 2 yard line. That was a horrible play design, and an even worse effort by Fitz because he put the ball in a spot where Decker's momentum had to come back to the ball in the opposite direction of the first down. If Fitz leads him towards the line of scrimmage, perhaps Decker can fight/reach for a first down there. The idea of throwing behind the line of scrimmage inside of the 5 yard line, with 2 yards between you and a fresh set of downs is horrible... but if the execution was better, it may have worked in spite of how ill-advised it was. 

Gailey had an awful game.  and Fitz did not distinguish himself

I know it's more fun to bash the head coach, coordinators, and qb after a loss but in reality if kellen Davis is playing all out and does more to find the ball there is a very good chance we are 6-3 today.  

Instead,  those with agendas use this loss to bash everyone but the one person who is most responsible for this loss.  

You're on the field for the biggest play of the season and you don't bother to look for the ball until well after its thrown?  Im not sure the play call was to target him but he should still make himself available and be alert enough to make a play if things break down. If we go up 1 or 3 in that spot,  I doubt tyrod drives them down the field.  

Bowles is still a first year head coach that should only get better (while rex used all of his timeouts early and couldn't challenge plays late in fourth or call a timeout)

Fitz is fitz.  Been saying this since day 1. He's the ultimate game manager.  If he's asked to bring us back from 2 td deficits be will struggle.  Those saying "see,  told you fitz wasn't the answer" are merely creating their own argument.  No rational jet fan ever thought fitz was going to be anything more than he is today.  You can win with him but you won't win because of him.  

Fitz has been much better than anyone expected.   he gets rid of the ball quickly and typically finds the open receiver.   he's playing the best football we've seen since favre pre-injury.    

kellen davis is what he is.   he's a 4th string TE on a TE weak team forced to play because everyone else is hurt.    if you want to blame someone blame either Idzik for not addressing the position or Pryor for being a douche in mini-camp.    there is almost no reason that kellen davis should see the field and he is basically a starter due to injury.   

part of the reason our OC's always catch so much attention and make so many stupid mistakes in play calling is because we don't have an big time QB or a long time good starter at the position .

so this play callers  do what ever comes into their mind+

when Favre was the QB he told Shotty to **** off, he will call plays that Favre like and there is no way Favre is doing what Shotty stupid mind thinks of

when we will have the QB position in good hands it doesn't matter who the OC is.

I'm not so sure.  I mean, don't get me wrong, I am pissed that squid is even on the roster, let alone active or on the field.   OTOH, he looked genuinely shocked the throw went to him.  If I had a guess, Davis was supposed to set the pick, but the Bills played it pretty well and Fitzpatrick called his number.  I highly doubt that Davis is the #1 option on that play.  To think they gave that piece of sh*t the same number as Mike D'Amato (Brooklyn Tech) and Jerry Holmes!

Just curious why you don't like him.

I know it's more fun to bash the head coach, coordinators, and qb after a loss but in reality if kellen Davis is playing all out and does more to find the ball there is a very good chance we are 6-3 today.  

Instead,  those with agendas use this loss to bash everyone but the one person who is most responsible for this loss.  

You're on the field for the biggest play of the season and you don't bother to look for the ball until well after its thrown?  Im not sure the play call was to target him but he should still make himself available and be alert enough to make a play if things break down. If we go up 1 or 3 in that spot,  I doubt tyrod drives them down the field.  

Bowles is still a first year head coach that should only get better (while rex used all of his timeouts early and couldn't challenge plays late in fourth or call a timeout)

Fitz is fitz.  Been saying this since day 1. He's the ultimate game manager.  If he's asked to bring us back from 2 td deficits be will struggle.  Those saying "see,  told you fitz wasn't the answer" are merely creating their own argument.  No rational jet fan ever thought fitz was going to be anything more than he is today.  You can win with him but you won't win because of him.  

Great Post!!!

People are already running Bowles out of here in his very first year, when he has to not only to assist in making the roster better, as well as change the culture of mediocrity that has infested this team for the last few years, but also deal with folks out here now fantasizing that Fitz is being held back by Bowles and conservative play calling.

Think....

Who in their right mind could have ever believed that Fitz would be the QB in an innovative air it out offense? Answer..

No One!!!

So thanks for the sane post...

Can't totally agree with you on this, I think Gailey is the type of oc you need when you have no QB.  Neither one of our guys could run a more traditional offense.  In any case OC's are always the 1st to get blamed, especially on these forums.

IMO Chan Gailey is the best OC we have had since Charlie Weis and it is not really that close.....

Great Post!!!

People are already running Bowles out of here in his very first year, when he has to not only to assist in making the roster better, as well as change the culture of mediocrity that has infested this team for the last few years, but also deal with folks out here now fantasizing that Fitz is being held back by Bowles and conservative play calling.

Think....

Who in their right mind could have ever believed that Fitz would be the QB in an innovative air it out offense? Answer..

No One!!!

So thanks for the sane post...

And thanks to you CB for adding another brief moment of sane posting to the current aura of bridge jumping wild eyed crazed overreaction to a regular season sports result

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

Teams do this all the time . You constantly see teams throwing to a Backup TE in pressure situations because the defense is keying on the top options. Is it better to throw to a double coved guy or a guy that's going to be heavily contested rather than a guy like Davis ? The call was correct but Davis is obviously not pro material

I guess they just found that out 

Good thread.  Let's cut to the chase, when an OC designs a play that gets the receiver behind

the defense and he's all alone with the ball it was an excellent call.  It's up to the player to not

be clueless and look & catch the ball

If, like Schotty, this team finishes the season in the bottom five in points scored, I'm totally on board.

This is what's been so crazy about the Fitz debates IMO.  Those of us supporting him are basically saying, "man, nice to have a guy who isn't a bottom-5 QB", to which Geno fans reply "Stop telling us he's an elite QB going to the HOF".

Agreed, Davis should have been better at locating the ball and making a play on it.

However, he's not. His 7 years in the league spanning 6 teams and a grand total of 3 catches since 2012 are proof of that. The fact that he was even in the game and the target of the 4th and game play when we have Brandon, Decker, Kerley, and Ivory is the reason the decision makers are bearing the brunt of this. 

Terrible decision to have him out there in the first place. End of story.

exactly. with the game on the line you target your best players to get the ball. not some scrub. not to mantion the play calls that have passes behind the first down markers hoping for YAC. stupid play calls. gailey sucks

Good thread.  Let's cut to the chase, when an OC designs a play that gets the receiver behind

the defense and he's all alone with the ball it was an excellent call.  It's up to the player to not

be clueless and look & catch the ball

Bingo!

Archived