Jets Decline Fifth-Year Option on CB Milliner

JetNation

Dee Milliner

By Glenn Naughton

New York Jets cornerback Dee Milliner has suffered his fair share of injuries since being drafted by the team three seasons ago.  He’s had a an achilles injury, a quad injury, a hamstring injury, a high ankle sprain and a wrist injury that caused him to miss significant time, and now the latest…possibly a bruised ego.

Having chosen Milliner with the 9th overall selection of the 2013 draft, the Jets had to make a determination as to whether or not they would exercise his fifth-year option as they had done previously with fellow first-rounder Sheldon Richardson, but the team has apparently declined.

The move shouldn’t come as much of a surprise due to Milliner’s extensive list of injuries, but given his draft position and improved play over time, he may have held out some hope that Gang Green would choose to retain his services.  As it turned out, there was just too much depth at the position for the Jets to take the gamble.

Jets cornerback Buster Skrine is slated to start opposite Darrelle Revis.

Jets cornerback Buster Skrine is slated to start opposite Darrelle Revis.

With Darrelle Revis still under contract along with Buster Skrine and Marcus Williams, the Jets have the first few slots on the depth chart filled with established performers.

Add to that the fact that Dexter McDougle is still in the picture and they brought in former Texans cornerback Darryl Morris while drafting NC State’s Juston Burris in the fourth round of last week’s draft, and it was a foregone conclusion that Milliner’s option would not be picked up.

This isn’t to say Milliner won’t remain with the club should he find a way to stay healthy and perform at a high level in 2016, but history just isn’t on his side and the Jets decision not to exercise his option means he’ll have the opportunity to shop his services at season’s end.

Milliner’s winning of defensive rookie of the month may as well be three million years ago as opposed three years ago as he’s done so little since then that it’s viewed by many as more of an aberration than anything else.  Of course if Milliner had continued to play at that level, the refusal to decline his option wouldn’t be an option at this point and he’d be looking forward to playing the next two years with the Jets.

As it stands however, Milliner enters what could be his final season with the Jets, but their fans would like nothing more than to see the soft-spoken defender live up to his potential and lay the groundwork for a dominant secondary for years to come.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
uWsYMv7QQao

Click here to read the full story...

Even when healthy, Bowles went with two undrafted free agents over Milliner when Revis and Cro were banged up last year. That speaks volumes. He's not good, and that's saying something because Cro and Skrine were below replacement level last season. But they made big money so had to start. The CB position is not really a strength at this point. Could have changed that in the 2nd round, but they went with a reach QB. 

It's his last year here for sure. Still hoping he can give us one good year but I doubt it. He's the one guy who really could improve our secondary if he could get his sh*t together. 

If he doesn't play much this season then his NFL Career is over. 

Injuries happen but this kid never had a chance, first question asked after he was drafted was "can you replace Revis" as if there is not enough pressure making the transition to the NFL, just a bad pick.  

I think most fans wanted WR or OL, a few for TE and Eifert turned out well, imagine if the Jets had a TE that could catch and block :)  I wanted a safety to help the backfield without having to directly replace 24, Reid and Vaccaro are regular starters, an upgrade so far, guess the fans do know better sometimes...

Hopefully this is the year Dee pulls it together, $4m is a big salary for a bench player! he needs to earn some time on the field...

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Could have changed that in the 2nd round, but they went with a reach QB. 

Which is needed more.  We could have Revis and Richard Sherman both in their prime, and it won't matter if we don't find a QB.

CB will be dealt with next year when there is more draft choices and $50 million to spend

26 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Super talented but couldn't stay on the field. Same as college.

yea, a lot of guys label dee as a bust. I guess he is because he cant stay on the field. but man, that kid was a physical freak. had the feet,hips, and speed to be something in this league. too bad he is as brittle as a ritz cracker

5 operations in his college career, and it's SO?.  Pick should never have been made.  Guy does have talent, but he's clearly made of china.

I agree the Jets should cut him and move on.  They really can't.  It causes over 4 M in dead money , and saves the Jets 0.

He's here at least one more year.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Which is needed more.  We could have Revis and Richard Sherman both in their prime, and it won't matter if we don't find a QB.

CB will be dealt with next year when there is more draft choices and $50 million to spend

Well that depends on if what you think of Hackenberg. I don't view him fondly, so I don't think a future QB bust is more important than a CB that could start day one and be there for 10 years like Mackenzie Alexander would have been at that pick.

I still have hope for Mill. His health is the problem. He's a bust based on the fact that he's not producing anything given injuries, however we've seen busts from guys who were as healthy as an Ox but the coach knows that this guy should never see a football field because he's an incredible liability. 

Milliner will be released and if he can do something about his health he'll end up being a solid CB for the next team. Sucks. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

I still have hope for Mill. His health is the problem. He's a bust based on the fact that he's not producing anything given injuries, however we've seen busts from guys who were as healthy as an Ox but the coach knows that this guy should never see a football field because he's an incredible liability. 

Milliner will be released and if he can do something about his health he'll end up being a solid CB for the next team. Sucks. 

Based on what?! One solid month he had three years ago? The last time we saw him get any defensive run, he was being abused by Jordy Nelson. The guy wasn't good when healthy. He's a bust for many reasons, not just his inability to stay healthy. He was healthy for a long stretch last season and Williams, Walls, and McDougle all saw the field before him. He must have not been showing anything better than those guys in practice to basically be a specials teams player and nothing more.

I still think that Milliner can be a starter and have a successful career but no way you could give him 12 mil in '17. If he has a good year, hey, he can walk?☺️. And don't let the door hit you on the way out.

22 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Based on what?! One solid month he had three years ago? The last time we saw him get any defensive run, he was being abused by Jordy Nelson. The guy wasn't good when healthy. He's a bust for many reasons, not just his inability to stay healthy. He was healthy for a long stretch last season and Williams, Walls, and McDougle all saw the field before him. He must have not been showing anything better than those guys in practice to basically be a specials teams player and nothing more.

Yes. 

35 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I understand the frustration, but actually, the last time he got on the field to play defense was a couple of weeks after the GB game against the Chargers when Geno decided to skip the team meeting.  The Jets got absolutely murdered that day, but Milliner was one of the few bright spots.  He only allowed one or two short catches and had a couple of passes defended.  It looked like he was finally 100% and picking up where he'd left off the previous season.  The following week, he was hurt on the opening kickoff.   I think the kid can play, he just can't stay healthy.

54 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

He HAD great physical tools.  Guys don't regain their athleticism after an achilles injury.  So even if he is able to stay on the field, he's not going to ever be able to become the player that he could have become simply because he's lost the athleticism.

No shock really, the guy is made of glass, even if you think there is a small chance he's going to be anything you offer the 5th year. Man they even did that with Coples and he's terrible. I don't feel to sorry for him, the guys made millions of Dollars sitting on his ass, for most of his time here. Bowles is a DB at heart, he must think he stinks.

24 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

He HAD great physical tools.  Guys don't regain their athleticism after an achilles injury.  So even if he is able to stay on the field, he's not going to ever be able to become the player that he could have become simply because he's lost the athleticism.

Fair point. 

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Well that depends on if what you think of Hackenberg. I don't view him fondly, so I don't think a future QB bust is more important than a CB that could start day one and be there for 10 years like Mackenzie Alexander would have been at that pick.

So Mackenzie Alexander is "same team 10 year starter" level in the NFL, but he lasted all the way to us in the 2nd?  WTF are teams thinking, this guy should've been the 3rd overall pick obviously.  Hell, first overall. 

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Don't think Miliner will be released unless he sucks in camp.  If he is released it causes 4.25 M in dead money, and 0 cap savings.  If you have to pay the guy might as well see if he's got anything.

Archived