The Cracks are Beginning to Show:Jets stars Brandon Marshall, Sheldon Richardson had locker-room dispute

Gas2No99

Jets stars Brandon Marshall, Sheldon Richardson had locker-room dispute

• cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    enRiched byCuminiESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- If the New York Jets' season continues to crumble, they may look back at the Week 3 loss to the Kansas City Chiefsas the turning point. It was the start of their current losing streak and the beginning of Ryan Fitzpatrick's collapse. And the frustration of that defeat erupted in the post-game locker room.

Brandon Marshall and Sheldon Richardson, two of the team's biggest stars, engaged in a heated verbal altercation after the game, ESPN.com has learned. It wasn't physical, according to coach Todd Bowles and Marshall, but it evidently concerned Bowles in the moment because he discussed it immediately with the team.

"I took care of it right there," Bowles told ESPN.com on Thursday. "I addressed the team and I addressed the two guys. It will not happen again."

Bowles said of the dispute, "I was right there, I heard it. It was loud. Yell down there, yell down here. It was no more than a normal training-camp deal. It wasn't anything significant."

The coach said, "There were a bunch of people who had words because everybody was pissed off."

This will be one of the team's challenges as they play out the season. The Jets (1-5) have lost four straight and tensions will rise if the losses continue to mount. It happens often in losing locker rooms.

Marshall downplayed the incident, saying it was just a disagreement between "two Alpha males ... two bulls." He said he cleared the air the next day with Richardson. Bowles noted that Richardson was the first player to congratulate Marshall when he scored the following week.

"It was problem solving, starting off the season really bad," Marshall told ESPN.com. "You guys understand how emotional and how intense the game is. When you come in the locker room after a loss like that and you’re looking at each other, trying to problem-solve, it may not always be the right time. Sometimes you have to give it a day or so for everyone to calm down and cool off and say, 'OK, what do we need to do to solve it?"

The defense played reasonably well in the 24-3 loss to the Chiefs, but the Jets were undermined by Fitzpatrick's turnovers. He threw six interceptions, including a pick-6. Fitzpatrick never recovered from the nightmarish performance and was benched this week in favor of Geno Smith.

The genesis of the altercation wasn't an offense versus defense situation, according to Marshall, who said it was rooted in general frustration.

"Obviously, we had high expectations coming into this year. We still do," Marshall said. "It was not only a frustrating game, but a frustrating start for us. There are moments in teams where you push each other and there’s tension and the best teams find a way through it. You look at Seattle and Richard Sherman this weekend. It's part of the game, the frustration – wanting to win and figuring out a way how to win and communicating with each other the right way."

Marshall was referring to Sherman's sideline tirade with teammates and coaches in the Seahawks' win over the Atlanta Falcons.

Richardson couldn't be reached for comment. He wasn't at the facility on Thursday, as he was excused for a personal reason.

"There were no residual effects, no physicality," Bowles said of the Marshall-Richardson argument. "After the game, everybody was pissed off and you throw stuff. They should be pissed off, but not at each other. It was just one of those things."

Maybe so, but they've yet to win a game since.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

More proof Bowles has lost this team and the locker room fire him immediately. 

FIRE TODD BOWLES 

With all due respect, and much isn't really due when you consider your posting history, the article DEMONSTRATES that Bowles HAS NOT lost the lockerroom NOR the team at all. THAT'S WHY WE ARE LEARNING ABOUT THIS NOW when it OCCURRED AFTER the KC Game!

Under the previous regime, it would have broken out via Pettine or another Staff traitor within HOURS after the game and the media would have been ALL OVER IT. That circus no longer occurs here with the NY Jets and that's why reporting this NOW is almost moot. 

Team locker room fights ALWAYS happen when their is losing, but Bowles HAS maintained the boat steady and will see if he can continue to plug all the holes in the dyke like a Barnard College dorm. 

21 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

More proof Bowles has lost this team and the locker room fire him immediately. 

FIRE TODD BOWLES 

Actually the opposite is the truth.

He difused it right away as a HC should.  It led to nothing more.  No one knew about it.  Marshall keeps rolling along as the best player on offense

To think that 50+ men in a locker will all get together and get along, that there will never be disagreements or fights is silly.  Or needs to be blamed on a HC.

Maybe if you stopped walking around believing that Bowles will be fired and looking for reasons why you would get it

Just now, Beerfish said:

No story at all bitching happens all the time no big deal, the bigger deal for me is ShelRiches 27th excused for personal stuff absence.

Not allowed to have a life outside of football ? As long as he is approved for it I don't see the problem 

I would have loved Brandon Marshall as my teammate, the guy does not like losing and I for one love it!!!!

Cool hand Revis maybe what many out here prefer, but I like guys who aren't rah, rahing it all the time, but who truly play to win the dam game!!

Guys get mad and show emotion after a loss and somehow it is a reflection of the coach losing the team? It could be but not in this instance.......

And I just know that if the players were reported in the press "to be loose and relaxed" folks would be saying that Bowles has "lost the team cause the players don't care!"

Oh and before people misquote what I am saying..

IMO Bowles in general, has done a poor job so far this year (defense sucks) but only a lunatic would fire a HC when his starting QB was the worst performing QB in the NFL and it's not even close. 

Indeed one of Bowles big mistakes IMO was not sitting down Fitz in the KC game if only to clear his head after say HIS FOURTH STINKING PICK!!!!

Just awful...

But at the end of the day you shouldn't dismiss him yet.

No in all fairness to the organization as a whole and to following through on your plan, you have to give Bowles time to straighten things out and that means at least one year...

Skirmishes in the locker room are not uncommon after a tough loss. There's alot of adrenaline and mental aggression during a game and it's hard to just shut it off. Bowles squashed it. No big deal. It's a story for beat writers. Non issue IMO.

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Jets stars Brandon Marshall, Sheldon Richardson had locker-room dispute

• cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    enRiched byCuminiESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- If the New York Jets' season continues to crumble, they may look back at the Week 3 loss to the Kansas City Chiefsas the turning point. It was the start of their current losing streak and the beginning of Ryan Fitzpatrick's collapse. And the frustration of that defeat erupted in the post-game locker room.

Brandon Marshall and Sheldon Richardson, two of the team's biggest stars, engaged in a heated verbal altercation after the game, ESPN.com has learned. It wasn't physical, according to coach Todd Bowles and Marshall, but it evidently concerned Bowles in the moment because he discussed it immediately with the team.

"I took care of it right there," Bowles told ESPN.com on Thursday. "I addressed the team and I addressed the two guys. It will not happen again."

Bowles said of the dispute, "I was right there, I heard it. It was loud. Yell down there, yell down here. It was no more than a normal training-camp deal. It wasn't anything significant."

The coach said, "There were a bunch of people who had words because everybody was pissed off."

This will be one of the team's challenges as they play out the season. The Jets (1-5) have lost four straight and tensions will rise if the losses continue to mount. It happens often in losing locker rooms.

Marshall downplayed the incident, saying it was just a disagreement between "two Alpha males ... two bulls." He said he cleared the air the next day with Richardson. Bowles noted that Richardson was the first player to congratulate Marshall when he scored the following week.

"It was problem solving, starting off the season really bad," Marshall told ESPN.com. "You guys understand how emotional and how intense the game is. When you come in the locker room after a loss like that and you’re looking at each other, trying to problem-solve, it may not always be the right time. Sometimes you have to give it a day or so for everyone to calm down and cool off and say, 'OK, what do we need to do to solve it?"

The defense played reasonably well in the 24-3 loss to the Chiefs, but the Jets were undermined by Fitzpatrick's turnovers. He threw six interceptions, including a pick-6. Fitzpatrick never recovered from the nightmarish performance and was benched this week in favor of Geno Smith.

The genesis of the altercation wasn't an offense versus defense situation, according to Marshall, who said it was rooted in general frustration.

"Obviously, we had high expectations coming into this year. We still do," Marshall said. "It was not only a frustrating game, but a frustrating start for us. There are moments in teams where you push each other and there’s tension and the best teams find a way through it. You look at Seattle and Richard Sherman this weekend. It's part of the game, the frustration – wanting to win and figuring out a way how to win and communicating with each other the right way."

Marshall was referring to Sherman's sideline tirade with teammates and coaches in the Seahawks' win over the Atlanta Falcons.

Richardson couldn't be reached for comment. He wasn't at the facility on Thursday, as he was excused for a personal reason.

"There were no residual effects, no physicality," Bowles said of the Marshall-Richardson argument. "After the game, everybody was pissed off and you throw stuff. They should be pissed off, but not at each other. It was just one of those things."

Maybe so, but they've yet to win a game since.

Hopefully one of them will break Geno's jaw.

Archived