Sanchez?

varjet

1 minute ago, varjet said:

Yes it is, but one would hope that moving on did not cost $4mm more for a lesser product.

its 1 yr........it's not stopping them from signing anyone else, is it?  And do we know McCown didn't have another offer?  Perhaps Sanchez didn't...

People couldn't wait to get rid of Sanchez and Geno..Now people want them both back instead of McCown...So typical of this fanbase..

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, C Mart said:

2. It's time to move on..which also applies to what I bolded.

Image result for chris farley remember that time

It's quit clear that Sanchez did something for him no other Jet QB would .  This person started a thread that should have been locked the moment he made it, but took 6 pages to lock .  Now he's going to do the same garbage in this thread.

It's sickening, that I can't log onto this board and not have to temper my hatred for certain posters . 

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

....he followed that up with some of the worst QB seen anywhere 

Thats generally my take as well.

Sanchez was gifted two good team-seasons by a very good Defense and running game.

When those faltered, he was nothing.

With that said, he was very good in the playoffs those two runs.  The best he had ever, and would ever, be on a football field.

Sadly, in the regular season, he never got better, and was generally sub-par the majority of his time in NY.

Still....he's better at 2M than McCown at 6M. 

26 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Because Sanchez was here 6 years, not 2?  For all your blabbering about how good he was, how integral he was to 2 playoff seasons he followed that up with some of the worst QB seen anywhere 

2009: 9-7, 2 playoff wins
2010: 11-5, 2 playoff wins
2011:  8-5 with 3 to go, 8-8
2012:  6-10 Sporano Schillenz Gates
2013:  Injured DNP

Six years?  Mark Sanchez only played 4 years in New York, and 3 of those years were very good, only 1 was a turkey.  And whose fault was that?  Sanchez?  Okay, let's go there.  Only partically.  And, even if you blame him 100% for the 6-10 year, how does he not get a pass for that considering the '09 and '10 seasons, and even the '11 season for which the last 3 game collapse was not his doing?

We gave up on Mark Sanchez because Rex Ryan had to be untarnished and the Buttfumble's humiliating impact on an insecure fanbase.  Like the snot-nosed kid who gets teased because he wears pajamas to school.  The very epitome of SOJ.

SAR I

14 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

It's quit clear that Sanchez did something for him no other Jet QB would .  This person started a thread that should have been locked the moment he made it, but took 6 pages to lock .  Now he's going to do the same garbage in this thread.

It's sickening, that I can't log onto this board and have to temper my hatred for certain posters . 

Probably bought him a new BMW...

8 minutes ago, August said:

All these years later and we're still discussing Mark Sanchez? Move. On!!!!

Giving up on Mark Sanchez was one of the worst decisions in team history.  The reason some don't want to discuss it is because they were dead-wrong about what our problems were and what the right solution was back in 2013.  Just sweep it under the rug, right?  Let the Geno vs. Fitzpatrick smokescreen cover up what really took this franchise south. Rex Ryan taught you well.

This isn't ancient history, we're not talking Ken O'Brien here.  Considering how long it takes us to get to AFC Championship Games, the Sanchez decision feels like it was only yesterday.  And it wasn't properly debated.  He was injured, Geno went 8-8, off we went.  Off we went into oblivion.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Giving up on Mark Sanchez was one of the worst decisions in team history.  The reason some don't want to discuss it is because they were dead-wrong about what our problems were and what the right solution was back in 2013.  Just sweep it under the rug, right?  Let the Geno vs. Fitzpatrick smokescreen cover up what really took this franchise south. Rex Ryan taught you well.

This isn't ancient history, we're not talking Ken O'Brien here.  Considering how long it takes us to get to AFC Championship Games, the Sanchez decision feels like it was only yesterday.  And it wasn't properly debated.  He was injured, Geno went 8-8, off we went.  Off we went into oblivion.

SAR I

It has nothing to do w/this regime..They weren't here then,,,The only person in power that was is Woody..Take it up with him...

This is the problem w/this fanbase, and I get it as fans, they continue to let 40 years of frustration, affect today and the future...

This regime, including FO, scouts, and most players currently on the team don't have a thing to do w/those 40 yrs..

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Thats generally my take as well.

Sanchez was gifted two good team-seasons by a very good Defense and running game.

When those faltered, he was nothing.

In order to win a Super Bowl, you have to have a very good defense and very good running game.

So if Mark Sanchez was a winning quarterback in those circumstances, he's exactly what we were looking for back then.  In fact, this very day, we are trying to build a team around a suffocating defense and a power rushing attack.  A young QB out of college who can play big when trailing in the 4th quarter and elevate his game in the postseason is exactly what we're looking for right now too, we'd throw a parade if Hackenberg turns out to have that rare comeback ability and postseason nerve.

It doesn't matter now, I know.  But I'll forever be haunted about what might have been if Victor Cruz didn't go 99 and we didn't collapse and thus we didn't fire Schottenheimer and set the wheels in motion for Sanchez to fail with Sporano and the Tebow circus in '12.

SAR I

32 minutes ago, SAR I said:

2009: 9-7, 2 playoff wins  You don't actually believe this, do you?  You don't actually think that sub 54%, 12/20 10 fumbles and 162 ypg is "very good."  
2010: 11-5, 2 playoff wins 54.8%, 3,291, 17/13, 9 fumbles
2011:  8-5 with 3 to go, 8-8  Playoffs in reach at 8-8 goes 0-3, 5/8, doesn't break  20 points, fumbles twice (0 lost)
2012:  6-10 Sporano Schillenz Gates Benched for Greg McElroy.  LOL
2013:  Injured DNP

Six years?  Mark Sanchez only played 4 years in New York, and 3 of those years were very good, only 1 was a turkey.  And whose fault was that?  Sanchez?  Okay, let's go there.  Only partically.  And, even if you blame him 100% for the 6-10 year, how does he not get a pass for that considering the '09 and '10 seasons, and even the '11 season for which the last 3 game collapse was not his doing?

We gave up on Mark Sanchez because Rex Ryan had to be untarnished and the Buttfumble's humiliating impact on an insecure fanbase.  Like the snot-nosed kid who gets teased because he wears pajamas to school.  The very epitome of SOJ.

SAR I

You don't actually believe this, do you?  I guess you and I have very different definitions of "very good."  What color is the sky? 

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

So if Mark Sanchez was a winning quarterback in those circumstances, he's exactly what we were looking for back then.

I would not agree.

Sanchez was, in my view, materially carried the full length of those two good seasons.  His contribution in the regular season was average at best.

A QB who requires an elite-level Defense (Top 5) and elite-level Running Game (Top 5) to hover around .500 is not a good enough QB.

That aside, the truly fatal flaw was that Sanchez at no point improved over the course of 5 full seasons.  

He was the same bad, dependent, turnover prone QB in his final time in NY as he was the very first game he played here.  And when the Defense and running game became average, he was exposed as the massive liability that he was.

There are times when no amount of waiting will turn a cowpie into a gold bar.

Sanchez was such an example, and his career since has borne this out.

Geno, IMO, will be the next example,  We'll see if he proves me wrong.

And Petty.....we could wait five more years, waiting for him to develop.....and it may never happen.  It likely won't happen.  And we should not wait that long hoping for it.

Sometimes cutting bait and trying again is the right call.....even if the next try also fails.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I disagree I think letting go of Mark was the 2nd best thing we ever did outside of drafting Namath. 

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

If I knew it was coming down to a McCown signing, I would have definitely considered Sanchez instead. Jets fans can say what they want. 95% of this fanbase wasnt around to see Namath, and probably half of this fanbase wasnt around for the 98 Testaverde Season. The best experience that many Jets fans have even had was when Sanchez was the QB. Whether he was "carried to the playoffs" or not, he sure as hell contributed to playoff wins and in that Colts game was a key factor in convincing Schotty not to be a dunce and grow some balls and throw the ball down the field. 

I'd take that over Josh McCown for sure. 

well said

The point is not that we want to bring Sanchez back to QB the Jets of the future.

Sanchez has, perhaps irreversibly, been relegated to a veteran back up role.  Baring some miracle, he is not going to be the preferred starter for an NFL team.

But he has started 72 games in the NFL.

He theoretically could have been our 1 year veteran bridge to the future.  

Obviously he has a lot of negatives to the Jets specifically, but those negatives caused the Jets to pay someone else, probably not as physically capable, $4mm more.

The Jets obviously see the value of a sage veteran QB.  I wonder whether coaches coach and players play, and we don't need to pay a QB $4mm more because he is mature.  you can hire alot of coaches for that.

I am not posting on this subject anymore.

Sanchez sucks, McCown is worse. This team continues to rummage through the QB dumpster and the fan base is left with well.....Garbage. Until the Jets spend some serious green for a franchise QB they will continue cease to be a SB contender. The team has many holes and needs help in many areas but it's rare that a team makes it to the Superbowl without top QB. Yeah I'm waiting for the day the Jets make it to the SB. So we wait and see if these young QB's amount to anything and maybe go with another drafted QB and have another 4 QB's on the team this year. Still can't get over the McCown deal. 

Good Grief

3 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

If you're bringing in a vet QB to mentor young guys then McCown is it. Sanchez did not get good development here and has barely played the last several years. He has far less to pass on than a guy going into his fifteenth year as a pro QB. 

Exactly, Sanchez is on his way out of the league. His playoff years were his first 2 yrs in the league. He still is not a good qb. He has not shown any leadership skills. He cost the eagles the playoffs due to his poor play when took over for foles, He lost the battle for starting qb in Denver due to his turnovers. He was terrible last yr when he played ,10-18 85yds 2 picks. 

1 minute ago, Barkus said:

Exactly, Sanchez is on his way out of the league. His playoff years were his first 2 yrs in the league. He still is not a good qb. He has not shown any leadership skills. He cost the eagles the playoffs due to his poor play when took over for foles, He lost the battle for starting qb in Denver due to his turnovers. He was terrible last yr when he played ,10-18 85yds 2 picks. 

Broncos made a mistake getting rid of Sanchez.  Siemian is a slightly better Fitzpatrick and Lynch is suck

Look, Glennon could be this year's version of Osweiler. An unproven Qb who is being paid a lot of money. Mark was smart to sign with the Bears. He has a good chance to play with them. The Bears had a lot of injuries last season and used a lot of Qbs. 

2 hours ago, MaxAF said:

Sanchez sucks, McCown is worse. This team continues to rummage through the QB dumpster and the fan base is left with well.....Garbage. Until the Jets spend some serious green for a franchise QB they will continue cease to be a SB contender. The team has many holes and needs help in many areas but it's rare that a team makes it to the Superbowl without top QB. Yeah I'm waiting for the day the Jets make it to the SB. So we wait and see if these young QB's amount to anything and maybe go with another drafted QB and have another 4 QB's on the team this year. Still can't get over the McCown deal. 

Good Grief

Oh this is just rich.  Tell me when a true YOUNG franchise QB was available during FA that the Jets passed on paying and that all of the smart teams were in on.

24 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Are we still seriously b*tching over a 1 year (a throwaway year no less) 6 million dollar deal?

$4M is exactly how much we "overpaid" for Ryan Fitzpatrick last year, so why the hell wouldn't we be mad about the same overpayment to an even worse quarterback?

SAR I

19 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look, Glennon could be this year's version of Osweiler. An unproven Qb who is being paid a lot of money. Mark was smart to sign with the Bears. He has a good chance to play with them. The Bears had a lot of injuries last season and used a lot of Qbs. 

Adding on to this, McCown was also offered a contract that has playing time bonuses so there is a chance that if the other two are too horrendous to even give playing time, he will be captain of this tankjob.  Mark and Geno signed contracts for jobs where there is already an unquestioned starter in place.  Players aren't stupid.  McCown wasn't going to settle for a 2 million dollar deal when he knows damn well he can probably outplay two young and raw kids.  None of the FA vets would likely settle for that with us.  The team knows they didn't have much leverage in that regards, wanted a veteran presence and mentor, so they sweetened the pot a little without having to pay anything beyond the one year.  It's pretty simple.  

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

$4M is exactly how much we "overpaid" for Ryan Fitzpatrick last year, so why the hell wouldn't we be mad about the same overpayment to an even worse quarterback?

SAR I

There is a far bigger difference between the price and the ramifications of the two contracts and you know it.  I posted a more detailed explanation above this.

We were never resigning Sanchez.  I'm not dancing with you over that one.

21 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Plus the $5M charged to our cap this year Ryan Fitzpatrick the gift that keeps on taking. 

Archived