Who will be a "surprise" cut?

Sarge4Tide

Surprise Cut?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following players will not make the Jets team this season?

• QB Bryce Petty
    • TE Eric Tomlinson
    • WR Jalin Marshall
    • OL Dakota Dozier
    • DL Lawrence Thomas
    • DL Mike Pennel
    • DL Deon Simon
    • CB Marcus Williams
    • CB Darryl Roberts
    • LB Freddie Bishop
    • LB Bruce Carter
    • LB Lorenzo Mauldin
    • P Lac Edwards
    • PK Chandler Catanzaro

1. I wonder whether the Jets can afford to keep Tomlinson if Vanderlann can add more as a pass catcher.
  2. I did not check Jalin Marshall, because he will be suspended, but I would rather have Kendrell Tompkins.
  3. The fact that Dozier is still on the team is a testament to bad roster management.  My guess that is why Craig Watts played the most snaps of any offensive player against the Titans.
  4. Lawrence Thomas is a good player. He would make most other teams.  Too many DL.
  5. I really think we should take a chance on Pennel and cut McClendon.  Deon Simon is also making the team.  So those 2 were not checked.
  6. Marcus Williams' time may be up.  Hello McDougal.
  7. Bruce Carter will likely get bumped by Stanford and others.
  8. I did not check Mauldin, but it could happen.  He really  needs to show something...good.
  9. Catanzaro could lose out to Martin.

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

1) Marcus Williams 

2) Lorenzo Mauldin

3) Bryce Petty 

All 3 might get cut and I'd put Skrine on there too if they really like McDougle and Jones.

We need a third QB.  My guess is that someone better than Petty ends up on a practice squad.

Petty is a good guy, but even for a QB he was not a good high 4th round draft pick.

Just now, varjet said:

We need a third QB.  My guess is that someone better than Petty ends up on a practice squad.

Petty is a good guy, but even for a QB he was not a good high 4th round draft pick.

Eh I really like Petty. He can sling it better than the other two based on what I've seen and I think he's getting a raw deal. But if they keep him on the roster it's to save face if McCown and Hack are tragic. He can't be a system qb he has too much "run and gun" in him. 

We will probably pick up some other teams psqud dregs in a number of positions.

I would dearly love it if we can find a way to trade richardson. we are deep on the dline and we have some young hungry playuersthat will not be that big of a drop off if you ask me.

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Eh I really like Petty. He can sling it better than the other two based on what I've seen and I think he's getting a raw deal. But if they keep him on the roster it's to save face if McCown and Hack are tragic. He can't be a system qb he has too much "run and gun" in him. 

I think a QB that is very well suited for a WCO that breaks free would be a good replacement for Petty.  Otherwise, it is not worth getting rid of him.  The Jets also definitely need at least one QB for next year.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

We will probably pick up some other teams psqud dregs in a number of positions.

I would dearly love it if we can find a way to trade richardson. we are deep on the dline and we have some young hungry playuersthat will not be that big of a drop off if you ask me.

Completely agree with this.  We are overresourced on the DL and could use those resources on offense without a noticeable decline in performance.

How McClendon still has a job is beyond me.  I think it is actually not considerate to him for keeping him around so long.

Just now, T0mShane said:

Sounds like Juston Burris and Maudlin should be on the street. Burris simply isn't athletic enough to play corner, and Maudlin is a mess both on and off the field.

no way burris gets cut yet, the fact he gets burned by anderson in practice isn't enough to do it.  at least they have guys who have replaced mauldin. 

31 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Petty should ask for his release. It was reported that other teams wanted to trade for him last year, so apparently there are other teams who think he can play, and the Jets are a black hole for young QBs. Being a QB and getting drafted by the Jets is like being five years old and having Casey Anthony as your babysitter.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

no way burris gets cut yet, the fact he gets burned by anderson in practice isn't enough to do it.  at least they have guys who have replaced mauldin. 

Yeah, it's unlikely Burris gets cut because he was a draft pick, but he's never going to get faster or more athletic 

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If Mauldin, Burris and Petty all get cut, these guys are going to have sore johnsons and worn out palms from celebrating . These folks get off on draft picks getting cut so they can tell us all just how bad the GM is . What they don't realize is that if a draft pick gets cut because an UDFA beats him out, the same person brought both players to the roster .

QB Bryce Petty -- Won't be cut.

TE Eric Tomlinson -- Don't even consider him a strong candidate to make the team.

WR Jalin Marshall -- Won't be cut, even if he should be. Bowles loves him.

OL Dakota Dozier -- Won't be cut. Don't see anyone as versatile as him for a backup role.

DL Lawrence Thomas -- Won't be cut.

DL Mike Pennel -- Will probably be cut, but that's not surprising. Would be a pleasant surprise if he makes it and McLendon is cut.

DL Deon Simon -- Hell no, won't be cut.

CB Marcus Williams -- On second thought, he could be a surprise cut, though I didn't vote him. Seemed promising a few seasons ago, but hasn't really met expectations much. Would rather keep him over Skrine, though.

CB Darryl Roberts -- Probably won't be cut.

LB Freddie Bishop -- I would be more surprised if a CFL player made the team, especially with all the bodies we have at LB. Probably a PS guy.

LB Bruce Carter -- Yes. As I mentioned, we have a lot of bodies at LB, and I would be surprised if Bowles lets one of his vets get cut, even if he should be.

LB Lorenzo Mauldin -- Yes. Lots of backers, and he has wholly disappointed after his rookie season.

P Lac Edwards -- If they haven't brought in another punter by now, then he's not gonna be cut.

PK Chandler Catanzaro -- I really wouldn't be surprised if he's cut, even with his veteran status.

Sounds like Juston Burris and Maudlin should be on the street. Burris simply isn't athletic enough to play corner, and Maudlin is a mess both on and off the field.

Burris looked pretty good in his rookie season last year he was shadowing receivers pretty well his problem last season was that it seemed like he had no idea the ball was being thrown in his direction. Has he gotten slower this off-season? Athletics should not be his problem.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

Burris looked pretty good in his rookie season last year he was shadowing receivers pretty well his problem last season was that it seemed like he had no idea the ball was being thrown in his direction. Has he gotten slower this off-season? Athletics should not be his problem.

Most write-ups had him as a possible safety conversion project due to his lack of make-up speed and sudden quickness. From what I've read of practice twits, he's been a consistent victim of deep ball completions. I like him and decided on him as the defensive player to "pleasantly surprise/breakout" this year as the #2 CB, but it's looking that his lack of speed will expose him and down the depth chart for now. Other than that, he's a big physical CB who can jam WRs @ the LOS and has some ball hawk skills; IF the Wonder Twins (Allen & Maye) at Safety can cover him up top, Burris should be a solid CB for years to come. 

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

I don't want to pick on the dude because he seems like a decent depth player, but he's a stiff and it appears he's being exposed six ways to Sunday this summer.

IMG_0521.PNG

29 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don't want to pick on the dude because he seems like a decent depth player, but he's a stiff and it appears he's being exposed six ways to Sunday this summer.

That's a good way of putting it: "Stiff" and I agree that he's been toasted a few times on deep routes.

He's definitely NOT a fluid CB in the Aaron Glenn sense. but I think he can develop into a good & serviceable, but not spectacular, #2CB who'll need constant help over the top with WRs who run a sub 4.5

7 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

That's a good way of putting it: "Stiff" and I agree that he's been toasted a few times on deep routes.

He's definitely NOT a fluid CB in the Aaron Glenn sense. but I think he can develop into a good & serviceable, but not spectacular, #2CB who'll need constant help over the top with WRs who run a sub 4.5

I mean, you're talking about giving a roster spot to a specialty player at that point. May as well just move him to safety and play him in the dime when you cut Skrine.

Archived